Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Which receiver do you use?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which receiver do you use?

Post  getback Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:04 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:Eric I use a typical smart charger bought about 8 yrs. ago,  it has setting for Life cells.
OK Thanks RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm

MauricioB wrote:Hi Eric, it is true, why use something that has failed, I actually bought several of the receiver blinds, I have installed in several of my planes and they all work well, only the one I had in the Extra 260 and another that I placed in the Stylo red failed, although then take the same rx of the Extra and place it on a motorized glider, take it to almost 300 meters high and never failed again. that is, this confuses. From what I see sometimes they fail sometimes, they are not unstable ... so always doubt if there is something that I am doing wrong, but it seems that in reality these RXs do not have true quality control, that is, it is a lottery. Now I will take serious measures, I will not use them anymore. It hurts a lot to break a model that I put so much care there, it is a blow that leaves no air, but I will build another Stylo and I will share it here again.
 I understand , Works when it wants is not good !  Damn!   Trash all!!!! Rolling Eyes
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:25 pm

I use Spektrum and Orange Rx receivers only. Have not had a problem with either yet, except for plain ol' pilot error! But for your needs, small and lightweight, I think that teh Spektrum AR400, AR410, AR500, would be your best bet as all of those are true 'full range' receivers, and have 2 antennas for diversity, but cannot speak for the new AR410 with the built in antenna, but I do want one now jsut to try out!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:02 pm

The 400 no issues up to 150 ish mph have 3 of them all well used.
The 410 is the best also have three of them two used thus far.
I say the best as the plugs come out the front so it lays low flat.
That and there is no antenna wires to deal with. I have taken it up to
140 ish mph with no glitches. Spec heights and from one end of the
field and back about 250 yrds. back and forth no mercy zero glitches.

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Imag9026
Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 20191111

Old Bugger RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Hello friend Brad, I am seeing if I get in my country the AR410, again it is complicated to bring material from other countries Sad Sad ... it is sad, but it is so.
I will keep you informed if I get them!
Thank you for always being there! Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:19 pm

Radio components are something I never try to save money with.  I've lost airplanes to cheap radios and servos and I won't do it again.  Radio manufactures design their systems to work together.  Cheap Chinese receivers are reverse engineered and I don't trust them.  The Chinese or their cheap receivers.

I fly primarily Futaba although I've got JR, Airtronics and Spectrum systems.  I use only receivers built by the same companies as the transmitter.  It's just not worth the $40 or $50 dollars saved to risk hours and hours of building time in my opinion.

The AR410 is a great receiver. It's light and like Brad says, with the case replaced with heatshrink it's super-light.  I've never had even a glitch when used with Spectrum or Hitec servos.

I use a 200mAh LiFe Hobbico battery in micro-sized airplanes.  Most, if not all multi-chemistry chargers made in the last ten years have a LiFe function.  Current battery and charging technology blows my mind.

Don't try to save a few bucks on radio equipment.  It'll cost way more than you save in the long run.

My two cents.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 am

Your most welcome Mauricio,
The AR410 has become popular and distribution is making
a world wide presence. Maybe some have showed up in your
country if you have hobby stores.

Airplane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Full range (>2000M), also full range telemetry (ar410 does not), less half the volume (its only 2 pins high, not three), half the weight (2.4g) of the ar410 for $25 is the frsky rx4r.

For the guy with the JR Tx, you could get a $30 XJT rf module and use frsky receivers, they are the top of the line (same chipset as futaba, different protocol). I have not had a single loss of control or glitch in 11 years using frsky (30K flights), even in the spektrum triangle at my local field, its good stuff and low cost. https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/rx4r/
Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Rx4r10

EDIT: its 16 channels when using the sbus output, and yes, it has twin diversity antennas.
EDIT#2: The Spektrum video says 600~800 feet of telemetry, WHAT??? 1/10 the range of RC control (this does not give you any warning to low rssi, AKA turn around and get your azz back into acceptable range warning), this is a huge fail imo if true. Can anyone confirm the telemetry range of this AR410 receiver?
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Thank you all for leaving your comment ... Friends ... again my country begins with certain obstacles to acquire some products, so, I went to a well-known store and bought what I could get today, it is difficult for you to understand , here it is normal .... unfortunately, anyway ...
Friend Brad, I listened to you, I was able to get only one RX AR400 but I took advantage and bought some more, maybe in a short time it gets more complicated here to get material.
Do you want to know the values!? ... then sit down before reading:
AR400 = US 62  Affraid or WOW!
AR410 = US 62  Affraid or WOW!
AR610 = US 94  Affraid or WOW!
It's crazy, but, it's this or NOTHING, so I prefer to go barefoot but have my models in flight ... the passion is almost like madness  ... more here!
Thanks for always helping me! Beer Cheers Hand Shake Clapping Clapping Clapping
Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 20191115
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:34 am

They are 29.99 on ebay, at least now you will have good quality receivers.

The mark up in price is quite a bit yes sorry to hear you have to pay so much but at least they
are now yours to enjoy  Thumbs Up  no waiting in the mail wondering if they will show up safely.
What brand transmitter do you use?

Small Cox Logo RC Plane Beer Cheers

Check this out!
Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 20191119
More about it here:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13419p50-3d-printed-beam-mount-049-backplate#173918
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:32 pm

double post, delete
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:47 pm

In the last month there has been three lost panes with the internal antenna Rx spektrum rx at my field. To be fair, my flying sight has a lot of spektrum "I lost control" issues in two spots (10 o'clock and 1 o'clock from where we stand), so just to show how bad spektrum is, i fly circulus/loops/tasmanian devils in those areas without issue on frsky (this is with my planes and quads that the antennas are taped straight to 5mm carbon fiber, right under a 30A esc and still zero issues.)

I agree, "Some" spektrum have zero issue (higher end dx9 and above, why spend so much to have rf link quality?), why chance your $50 to $5000 plane (stupid)? But most lose control and lose their planes/gliders/quads with spektrum, sad for the ~3x increased price over frsky and lower performance, lower features and horrible RF link reliability, costing many planes/quads. Just why chose the inferior Spektrum/horrible???

Last edited by --Oz-- on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:55 pm

Dx6 Tx, spektrem & hobby king orange Rx, never have had a problem with oranges and own 3, but i fly electrics and gliders. I have heard of issues with the orange Rx and i might be reluctant to use it in a large gas powered plane.
I'm sure there's issues with any radio, but back in the day when i flew a lot of R/C, Q500, etc. its wasn't uncommon for a guy to loose control and blame it on the radio and i gotta think that still happens!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:04 am

Honestly, the lower end DX6 (variants) have the most problems from what I seen, maybe because they are more quantity than most other DX7/8/9 ($200~$400) variants models.

My experience is all the frsky radios ($60 24ch to $440 24ch) haze ZERO "RF link quality" issues that spektrum does (my frsky has 30,000 flights in high Carbon Fiber field (antennas taped to 5mm thick CF) with zero fr link quality over the years w/o a single rf issue), with spektrum resulting in countless (foam) models crashing. If you care about your models, choose something other than spektrum, and the lowest cost and highest preformance is frsky, where can you get a 24ch full telemetry system for $70?
https://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky-transmitters.html
If you want better quality hardware, then step it up a notch (but pay less, lol), but still, your smoking spektrum in RF quality and hardware quality for fractions of a dollar. Your choice, pay little on Frsky and save your high dollar planes or vs versa, your choice.

--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:19 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Dx6 Tx, spektrem & hobby king orange Rx, never have had a problem with oranges and own 3,

Your one of the "lucky ones" imo with spektrum (not many of you out there).

We have ~300 pilots at my field, spectrum is the number one plane killer (great for the LHS and Horizon wallet), but simply way over priced for its functionality and buy far worse is quality crapshoot RF link (aka plane killer). Great it's working for you, but so many of the others pilots have rf link quality issues, it's "not even funny" as they lose their money on crashing and injuring spectators. Quite a few yell out "spektrum" when they lose RF control, I call one of my su-27 flat spins jokingly as "spektrum" as a joke because it looks like spektrum out of control. (funny but not funny for spektrum users).

We just don't understand why pilots pay more for horrible RF link quality and much less channels/features, anyone?
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:12 pm

I have used quite a range of Orange receivers with Spektrum DX5 and DX6 without any issues at all. About half of the club members are Spektrum users and all the trainer aircraft are Spektrum equipped.

The receiver I have used the most with my park flyers is the RX615 DSM2 with no issues and up to 400m range.

So I was surprised to hear of issues with the RX615X. This variant I have not used myself but I was intrigued to see that this receiver accepts both DSM2 and DSMX protocols. I was a little confused and just thought it to be DSM2 - relying on the DSMX transmitter to negotiate DSM2 when binding.

However, conversations at the last club meeting indicated that several of the club members had had issues with the 615X. Varying from difficulty in binding  to not binding after 10 or so restarts with both DSMX and DSM2.

One chap had an issue when he did a range check. He found that one of the aerials was broken inside following a previous crash or his clumsy handling.

I would agree that this particular receiver is suspect but there is a plethora of R610X, R820X R410X .......... in regular service with no issues.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Just got back from flying 46 packs (3 planes and my quad). Sad news, 3 of 5 of these planes crashed "with no control" today.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/EFL3350?KPID=EFL3350&CAWELAID=320011980001319425&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=79370225185&CATCI=pla-67958551242&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjTr8dnBDFsLRRL3wD92Wvrs80IEhO_VEnmtIrLqryMOMh2sIYlcGwkaAvUHEALw_wcB

2 was using dx6 and one with dx8, all complained zero control. There is something wrong with spectrum, some just works fine, zero trouble, and then all the others. Sad to see so many plane casualties from spektrum with its sorry RF link quality. They were calling them "bind and crash" today.
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:55 pm

--Oz-- wrote:Just got back from flying 46 packs (3 planes and my quad). Sad news, 3 of 5 of these planes crashed "with no control" today.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/EFL3350?KPID=EFL3350&CAWELAID=320011980001319425&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=79370225185&CATCI=pla-67958551242&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjTr8dnBDFsLRRL3wD92Wvrs80IEhO_VEnmtIrLqryMOMh2sIYlcGwkaAvUHEALw_wcB

2 was using dx6 and one with dx8, all complained zero control. There is something wrong with spectrum, some just works fine, zero trouble, and then all the others. Sad to see so many plane casualties from spektrum with its sorry RF link quality. They were calling them "bind and crash" today.
Do you think the receivers are the weal link, or the transmitters? I got an older DX7 to use for the indoor foamies that works fine for them. I only used it a couple times with a Norvel .06 with an Orange receiver with no radio problems yet. (lots of others and many crashes though) Just wondering if I should use the DX7 for real .40 size planes. It is the only 2.4 system I have. I have dozens of 72 radios, but would like to update to the new millenium some day. At least just to use a shorter antennae, but also crystals are scarce.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:24 pm

@aspeed
I have no clue why spektrum RF link is so random crummy (Tx or Rx or both).

You can get a 24ch FrSky for $70 with full telemetry and kitchen sink functionality
https://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky-transmitters.html
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 am

I have been using Spektrum 2.4 since 2009 with absolutely zero problems. For granted, I am not a huge flier, and have only used such in foamies, an air-car, and an airboat. Also to note, I have used both genuine Spektrum and the original Orange Rx in DSM2 and again no problems with them, except for dumb-thumbs. I am recently starting flying .40 size nitro planes and all will again be Spektrum. I am using a DX5e, DX6i, and DX6 G3. A good friend has also been using Spektrum since day 1 and is mostly using Storm and Redcon receivers and has also had zero problems with them, and his small stuff is .40, and mostly in the 50cc range. Personally, it is all about the correct antenna placement, and the right receiver in the right application.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:54 pm

I use both Spektrum and FrSky. I recently upgraded to Jumper T16 pro with a TBS Crossfire module because of the issues I was having with FrSky R9 mini receivers.

My original FrSky Taranis X9D Plus is still going strong with the Multi protocol module but I have had many FrSky issues with later equipment.

My FrSky Taranis X9E wouldn't maintain date and time and required a capacitor to be swapped out on one of the boards. The RTC battery still doesn't last very long and needs replacing as often as the batteries need charging.

I have the Frsky Horus 10S and this is an extremely comfortable radio to use but external modules wobble about in it and it is not compatible with quite a few of my older FrSky receivers. This transmitter is also not fully compatible with the TBS crossfire module without a board modification which I have on my list of things to do.

I have also had range issues with X4s and failures to bind with R9 minis. I am afraid that quality control does not appear to be FrSky's forte at the moment.

None of these issues have caused a model to fail because I have picked them up before installation and flight. I really liked FrSky because of the OpenTX platform but quality control issues and the more recent moves to remove the original "openness" of the FrSky platform has made me reluctant to recommend FrSKy. The new unnecessarily "encrypted" protocol is also not a good sign for me,

FrSky is not a popular choice at the clubs I am a member of - the majority being Spektrum users closely followed by Futaba. The precison aerobatics chaps using only Futaba and Jeti - these transmitters though range from £1,500 to £3,000.

FrSky dominated the local quad flyers but as the X9Ds started to wear a few went to QX7s but the majority are now Jumper TX pro users because they didn't have to change any receivers.

Spektrum have dominated the field because the planes are truly "bind and fly" and the transmitter is easily matched to the model with no requirement to download nad match TX and receiver software I am surprised that problems have occurred with AS3X - I love it. Being able to hit the panic switch and automatically level out the plane has saved me on many an occasion.

I have also taken the plane to a very safe height (3 mistakes high) and tested failsafe by switching off the transmitter. Slightly nerve racking but confidence building in the equipment.

I am not knocking FrSKy because I have been using FrSky receivers with Matek and Brain FPV flight controllers in fixed wing drones. I enlisted the help of a few Quad flyers to help me configure INav software for "Return to Home" and "Loiter" along with the same advantages provided by AS3X for level flying. I like "loiter" because I can flick the switch - the plane flies to 60 metres and circles nicely while I pour a cup of tea (or smoke a cigarette!)

I don't understand why failsafe is either not set or activated. Again, I have yet to witness a model being lost for anything other than user finger/thumb trouble.

This chap shares my views on FrSKy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NykydQZQeyQ

As NEW222 has posted, a lot of range issues I may have had when setting up a model have been down to antenna placement both in the model and the transmitter.

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Aerial10

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:10 pm

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Jumper10

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Horus10

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Transm10

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Transm11

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 Transm12

Which receiver do you use? - Page 2 X9d10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:14 am

So now the new thing is Jumper? I don't think updating, or reflashing should be needed. Maybe I am too old school. I still like control line. My friend had a problem with his fancy 3 metre glider reception. It just did some crazy stuff at a certain position. We came to the conclusion that it was the carbon fibre fuselage blocking the signal on the Spectrum 2.4 system. He just uses FM now. Maybe I will too, except for the 1/2A stuff where the antennae sticks out too far.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 pm

If you run the antenna leads outside of the carbon fuselage typically there are no reception issues.

RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:01 pm

aspeed wrote:So now the new thing is Jumper?  I don't think updating, or reflashing should be needed.  Maybe I am too old school.  I still like control line.  My friend had a problem with his fancy 3 metre glider reception.  It just did some crazy stuff at a certain position.  We came to the conclusion that it was the carbon fibre fuselage blocking the signal on the Spectrum 2.4 system.  He just uses FM now.  Maybe I will too, except for the 1/2A stuff where the antennae sticks out too far.

The Jumper T16 Pro has become popular because it is compatible with most other receivers.

Cypress Semiconductor CYRF6936: DSM/DSMX, Walkera Devo
Texas Instruments CC2500: FrSky, Futaba SFHSS
Amiccom A7105: FlySky, FlySky AFHDS2A, Hubsan
Nordic Semiconductor NRF24L01: HiSky, Syma, ASSAN and most other Chinese models

So it is available to anyone lokking to replace or upgrade their existing transmitter at a reasonable price and not being tied to one manufacturer. It has also taken its styling cue from Futaba.

I believe though that radio choice is a matter of individual taste and how the transmitter feels in your hands.

Would I refuse being given one of these?

https://futabausa.com/product/32mz/

No but I might be too scared to use it in case i drop it, stand on it, lose it or have it stolen. A bit like wearing a Rolex watch (no I don't have one!) - a Casio displays time just as well but not the same quality,

I also am aware of carbon fibre fuselages blocking signals and to some extent, carbon fibre pushrods. I also see a multitude of FM equipment for sale at a fraction of the original cost and it is very tempting. Over the last few years though, most clubs here have removed the frequency peg boards

I have gone the other way and three of my models use 868 MHz but I have to be careful with these lining up the dipole aerial.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next