Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

More Work on the Jr. Skylark Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2019
jmcalata's

"Pee Wee .020 throttled combinated"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

More Work on the Jr. Skylark Empty
World of Aviation

More Work on the Jr. Skylark

Go down

More Work on the Jr. Skylark Empty More Work on the Jr. Skylark

Post  Kim on Fri Nov 08 2019, 07:10

The Goldberg Jr. Skylark continues to draw attention...this time from my carving knife.

Yesterday afternoon, it's nose, fuse corners, and wing leading edges were victims of my deft wielding of a long-blade Exacto.  The thing is really starting to develop a personality. It's wing needs a little more trimming/sanding, and one of it's Tee Dee .020's tack-glued in place for inspiration.

Uncle Wayne's 51 year-old "Scout" control line stunter got some old-school hinge stitching to support it's ancient cloth elevator hinges.  This plane is still in good, flyable shape, with a healthy Cox "Golden Bee" on it's nose.

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 10_410

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 11_113

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 14_410

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 16_410

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 20_411

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 22_18

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 2_77
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More Work on the Jr. Skylark Empty Re: More Work on the Jr. Skylark

Post  dirk gently on Fri Nov 08 2019, 07:39

Wow, what a beauty! Timeless, classical construction method. Is it going to be RC? I assume so because of the dihedral. If my assumption is correct, how many channels will it have? Is simultaneous starting of two engines an issue?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Nov 08 2019, 08:02

dirk gently wrote:Wow, what a beauty! Timeless, classical construction method. Is it going to be RC? I assume so because of the dihedral. If my assumption is correct, how many channels will it have? Is simultaneous starting of two engines an issue?
"

Hey, THANK YOU!!!!

Yes, the Jr. Skylark will fly with a two-channel...elevator and rudder, and powered by two Tee Dee .020's. The Tee Dee's, with the new tank/mounts, will give the plane more power and a longer run. My friend Thomas, flew his with Pee Wee .020's at the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In a couple months ago (video below), and handled single engine flying with no problem.

Starting two (or more) engines CAN be an issue, but I've gotten a fair amount of experience with them...the key being to run them extensively on a stand before putting them on a plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lExfye1Hty0&t=3s
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Fri Nov 08 2019, 08:28

Those TDs should carry it well after watching the Pee Wee s fly , very smooth , I use the glue/balsa mix for willing too old school and cheap . Look forward to the finished model Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Nov 08 2019, 13:10

getback wrote:Those TDs should carry it well after watching the Pee Wee s fly , very smooth , I use the glue/balsa mix for willing too old school and cheap . Look forward to the finished model Popcorn

Thanks Eric !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Fri Nov 08 2019, 16:25

Kim, the twin is cool. I wish I knew how to fly r/c. I built a beautiful model from the 80's that I purchased from Tower Hobbies. The kit was Italian made by Scorpio. My son flew it for the first time last year. I just need to be more persistent in going to the r/c field and just doing it more. They fly real big stuff and I don't know why they don't do smaller like you show. I think the cool factor alone makes it worthwhile. The Scout is a great little plane. My favorite from that series is the 1/2A Tom Tom. Just way cool planes and they do fly quite well. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Fri Nov 08 2019, 16:42

I still have the Scout Kit that Roger Harris made me some yrs. ago i am ashamed i have not built it Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 on Fri Nov 08 2019, 23:08

Very nice work Kim. Do you happen to have a guesstimate on final AUW of this little dual castor-slinger? Just curious as I have a JR Skylark that I do plan on flying next year and I believe I am up around 20 ounces without battery yet. Just curious. Thanks.
NEW222
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Fri Nov 08 2019, 23:09

Hi Kim, here I am having a beer, I just arrived from my job and I am looking at your plane and progress! ... beautiful that model with the Tee Dee .020 !! I mean what color will you do ... congratulations friend!
Another question, I recently had problems with Rx Orange, tell me what RX do you use in your models with .010 / .020 / .049? Thank you Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Sat Nov 09 2019, 06:11

NEW222 wrote:Very nice work Kim. Do you happen to have a guesstimate on final AUW of this little dual castor-slinger? Just curious as I have a JR Skylark that I do plan on flying next year and I believe I am up around 20 ounces without battery yet. Just curious. Thanks.

Hey, don't really have a clue at this point, but will throw it on the scales once most of it's guts are loaded!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Sat Nov 09 2019, 06:32

MauricioB wrote:Hi Kim, here I am having a beer, I just arrived from my job and I am looking at your plane and progress! ... beautiful that model with the Tee Dee .020 !! I mean what color will you do ... congratulations friend!
Another question, I recently had problems with Rx Orange, tell me what RX do you use in your models with .010 / .020 / .049? Thank you Thumbs Up

Hey Mauricio!

I intend to duplicate the box-art of the original model (photo below), with some additional wording or trim.  It's wing and stab will be covered with Monokote, while it's fuselage and fin will be painted with Brodak dope.

I've never used the Rx Orange, but have a new Spektrum Rx that I'll probably use in the Skylark.  I still fly on 72 mhz radios in several of my planes, and have collected micro Rx's for use with those.

Have a good day, friend!!!

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 1_81

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 1_145

Here's Tony, flying my Minnie Mambo "Little Traveler" on 72 Mhz at the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In:

More Work on the Jr. Skylark 52_113
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Nov 09 2019, 08:52

Now that has been brought up i think the 72 MHZ Has more distance than the park fliers , i know when i was flying RC seemed the plane could bee out there a 1/2 mile ,, i have not flown the so called park flyer but says 300-400 ' i think of course in both directions that's a pretty good distance .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum