Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Lookie Here  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Lookie Here  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by getback Today at 8:20 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 7:59 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 7:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 6:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 9:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 9:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 1:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Lookie Here  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Lookie Here

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lookie Here  - Page 2 Empty Re: Lookie Here

Post  dckrsn Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Whenever I see a LIonel train, I have a vivid memory of the smell.
Aurora HO cars too.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Indeed-- that arching and sparking smell plus the smoke generators.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Lookie Here  - Page 2 Empty I remember the smell too!

Post  David S Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:19 pm

I still have my Lionel and American Flyer pre war trains and my Aurora HO slot cars. I still like the smell of ozone from the electric motors!
David S
David S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:22 pm

ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
getback wrote:
NEW222 wrote:Very nice Eric. Should bring you some enjoyment for some time. I think, if it was me, I would learn quickly about electricity! Always thought they were cool, but just never did it. A co-worker has boxes and boxes of the stuff that he inherited. All sorts of engines and cars. Now you all got me thinking, and not in a good time or way, as I have a Golden Bee offer on the table!
Shoot Brother you get some Train Action going and I WILL SEND YOU A GOLDEN BEE Very Happy Turkey Christmas Tree  OK ?  

I just took a second look at your box of stuff Eric and it looks like you have a 2-4-2 Nickel Plate locomotive and consist. 2-4-2 meaning 2 wheels up front, 4 in the middle and 2 trailing.  Consist is loco talk for a made up train of cars.  Loco talk.  Smile

I thought I had never had a Lionel set, but looking at the track closely brought back memories.  I remember those spike like connections.  Probably was a Christmas gift to my older brother.  

It looks like there is everything you need to get started.  So what are you going to do with it?  Build a layout, assemble it on the floor.  Tinker?

Any way you do it, it's going to be fun.  Looks like there are points or something in the engine.  Let us know what's going on.

Bob
Points ?? i want to set it up on some ply and run it , Yes a HO rae set to go round would bee wild !! i will let ya'll know Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:24 pm

For some more "family oriented" scenes, here's a picture of me with my son and 2 year old Grandson at a huge layout based at the "Puffing Billy" railway at Emerald lake in Victoria AU.
Lookie Here  - Page 2 B004e310
Lots of moving parts like fairground scenes, traffic, cablecars etc.  Plus multiple styles of rolling stock all operating automatically.
Lookie Here  - Page 2 9ad04710
Of course, he was really excited about this.
Lookie Here  - Page 2 6721fa10

Then we went out to look at the real thing.
Cooper and his dad.
Lookie Here  - Page 2 4993bd10

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:45 pm

Great, just great! So I have been reading up on trains as of lately..... Wow, are things confusing for a newbie. Just like starting out all over again! Now that my Golden Bee deal fell through (too late to the party), I have been spending the time reading of trains, never thinking of getting into it before. While all fine and dandy, I have absolutely NO clue about what I am reading, or what is what! Are they worth what people are asking? There is one I did find, that kinda looks cool and I like it, but..... What to do, what to do? I guess some more reading is in order for the next while.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:42 pm

In 4th grade (1976) I had 5 paper routes, I made some good cash for a kid ($200/month), hand built a killer bmx bike (cycle pro fish gill frame, I could slide feet up road racing style, it was awesome).

I was thinking of building a nice train setup on a 2x 4x8 plywood setup, I started collecting pieces, but then my older bro asked what are you gonna do with it when its finished, he said?  You ain't gonna race them are you, well that single sentence canned the whole project, lol, and I thanked him for saving me the money, I still like trains, especially the new RC ones. I went on to win many national championships in rc car on-road nationals, and a 12th place in the worlds (w/o) sponsors in 1996. I told my mom, it was the most mentally challenging thing in my life, she said, I could tell, you were "living life in the moment".

My bro and I got into slot cars in 73 (AFX HO), we slowly bought more cars and tracks, we ended up with 6 tracks and ~25 cars each. A friend brought a how to make your cars go faster book, the first thing it said was NOT to mess with the power supply and that was the first thing I did, gave each lane its own power pack (12V). This way the other car would not slow your car down (unregulated stock supplies). Then over the years i started building power supplies, ended up with 25V and a NOS switch to 40V. There was a switch on the power supply to series them for 80V for special exhibition drag races, yep, sparks coming off the brushes and pickup shoes, mom that we were going to burn the house down, lol.
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Slot_c10

Last edited by --Oz-- on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added AFX info)
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Bob[/quote]
Points ?? i want to set it up on some ply and run it , Yes a HO rae set to go round would bee wild !! i will let ya'll know Very Happy [/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, what's happening with it?  

I got mine yesterday, finally.  I could have walked to Connecticut and got it in shorter time.  

Nasty thing, but better than I thought.  Poorly packed and it rattled around in the box on the way tearing one end.  Might have served me better if it just fell out and got lost. Heavy thing, I thought I was unpacking a brick or a cement block.  

Lookie Here  - Page 2 P1010108
Lookie Here  - Page 2 P1010106
Lookie Here  - Page 2 P1010107

I posted about it on the S scale forum and one of the members offered to restore it for me free only to pay for postage.  Says it's his fun hobby and he has all the tools and equipment to make it happen.  Don't know, but it's tempting.  I have about six locomotives on my workbench in various states of disassembly plus a layout to complete.  If you would want some help on yours, PM me and I will give you his contact info.

Edit add:

Better yet.

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?p=2479610#post2479610
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:34 pm

I think that you can do the restoration. Disassemble it, clean with kerosene or WD40, then spray with black paint etc. I remember your Cox engine restorations, perfect looking.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:13 am

That does have a little rust on it but looks good overall Very Happy I will snap some picks in a few of the train i got thats in box on bed lol! Mad Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:12 am

NEW222 wrote:Great, just great! So I have been reading up on trains as of lately..... Wow, are things confusing for a newbie. Just like starting out all over again! Now that my Golden Bee deal fell through (too late to the party), I have been spending the time reading of trains, never thinking of getting into it before. While all fine and dandy, I have absolutely NO clue about what I am reading, or what is what! Are they worth what people are asking? There is one I did find, that kinda looks cool and I like it, but..... What to do, what to do? I guess some more reading is in order for the next while.

This hobby, it's secondary to my passion for C/L model planes doesn't have to be expensive to have fun with it.

My last two ebay buys, $5.00 and $2.50 respectively from the same seller with combined shipping = a number 1 meal at Mickey Dee's and lasts a lot longer.

Lookie Here  - Page 2 Blue_b14
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ahm_2_10

I love those little switchers/Docksides, they run well and pull a lot of cars.

Course I buy these too which can set you back a bundle.

Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ahm_bi10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:23 am

Only 7.50 for two engines Shocked Good buying Very Happy Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:06 am

Here u go everything is in pretty good shape but i did see the cobose has a broken latch,  and thanks for the link i may join in to talk train .  Very Happy   ]Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ptdc0173[/url]
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ptdc0174
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ptdc0175
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ptdc0176
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ptdc0178
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ptdc0179
Lookie Here  - Page 2 Ptdc0177
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am

Looks like you have three rail Lionel O gauge Eric.

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Dad in Korea circa 1959~1960 ish....Xmas present (long distance from him via Sears) a Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer train set (O-27) with smoke-- looked a lot like the set Eric bought

my understanding is "O" is track width gage and the 27 describes the tightest TURN OR CURVE the scale of the engine or cars can navigate....I have seen references to this size as being " On 27" but I believe the first thought I have...

I found a similar train set Lionel at Hobby Lobby a decade ago for my grandson...who has zero interest....I kept it --and bought a shiza ton of Lincoln Logs sets...wife and I built up LL buildings with hot glue for the Xmas tree train display. my 5 doggs get a kick out of the choo choo train, smoke and whistle

Hey Eric...check with Bob ...your train has significant value BUT that original transformer if working is worth a lot more than you paid for the whole shebang of rusty stuff

and if you refurb the original three rail to shiny new....sells for big bucks too as more desirable then the current "fast track"

BTW so glad all our family's small slot car sets and HO trains went to good will.......my few hobbies are relatively expensive but not too fanatical.....small scale trains and cars is an very expensive CULT to play in.....simply because there is so many options and specialty items

Bachman is not only game in town.....and unlike Control line model airplanes...model railroading is an ever increasing market

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Yelp O gauge 3 rail , i hope the transformer works too , Fred , but from what i have seen there not to bad priced on the bay most people are going to the advanced tech. bluetooth and such Smile . Only thing i don't like is manual switch of fwd/rev. but thats ok just makes it older like me Head Bang i see its missing some of the rail pins too , but i am sure i can get them easy enough Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:25 pm

years later when we set up the train for Xmas....missing pins were replaced with 1/2" sections side cut out of solid copper 12-2 or 14-3 romex house wire..not sure which but one was perfect fit.....

loose pins or lost pins are because the three pins are pretty tight and each section of track got pushed together or pulled apart by levering up down or left right to insert or pull apart-- and this spread the track open and the pins got loose....obviously a lay out nailed or pinned to a ply deck did not have this problem, but most of us only assembled the train once a year.....on the floor usually around the tree

This topic has me desiring to set mine out despite NOT being a grandkids year..... but I do have 2 new French Bulldog puppies to let chase the train...should be fun

Last edited by fredvon4 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 pm

I searched model train web sites and found an interesting Bachmann train set. It is Norman Rockwell model train that based on Rockwell's christmas paintings. Rockwell is one of my favorite artists whom famous with covers of Post magazine.

http://www.allthingschristmas.com/christmas-decorations/best-of-norman-rockwell-christmas-vintage-art/

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_269_270&products_id=5915

Lookie Here  - Page 2 00741-10
Lookie Here  - Page 2 814h6l10
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:49 pm

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:11 pm

I have a silver sleigh bell----I can still hear it ring and I cry every year when I do
I watch Polar Express every year since it was released....and I ring my bell
I bought a Lionel Train (not the Polar Express)
I watch most all Xmas movies...I just watched Miracle on 34th Street...the newer version...I loved it just as much as the 1939 or 49 version with Burl Ives...in fact one of very few remakes I think holly stupid got it right
I wish for a remake of the kid who put his eye out with a daisy BB gun.... must now be a full rambo AR 15 with 12 lbs of super Rambo crap hanging on it....

Back to Let It Snow Let It Snow..... if you have Prime or Netflix....find Bob Hope's Xmas specials and watch the 1965 VietNam version...I dare you not to sob uncontrollably if you are over 55 right now..... those years absolutly sucked and Bob Hope, Ann Margret and the entire USO crew--- did the most awesome job of making our soldiers have a few hours of laughter and humanity....what a super awesome and frigging GREAT AMERICAN....

I hate we had over 58,000 dead in that stupid conflict......Bob Hope's after the show commentary usually has segments going through field hospitals with the cast and meeting as many wounded members as possible.... I had a family member on Bob Hope's USO team....that man himself (Hope) put in 16 to 19 hour days every day on the tour... fact

I also sought out and spent a few hours with Red Skelton this weekend.... on streaming TV not so much of his holiday shows...but they do have his rendition of the American pledge of allegiance...if you have never seen it...worth your time even for our NON American Brothers.... Red Skeleton was a Canadian who loved the USA and our constitution.....

edited in ----our current Bob Hope is Gary Sinise...Lt Dan.... a personal hero of mine
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Fred, I couldn't have said it better.

A few observations.  

I don't have a silver bell but I always look forward to seeing The Polar Express.  Is there anything that Tom Hanks cannot do.  

Miracle on 34th St. is playing tonight on TCM.  I will be watching.

A Christmas Story...…...Put your eye out Red Ryder.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=put+your+eye+out+red+ryder&view=detail&mid=119B8FA226957CB2D0CB119B8FA226957CB2D0CB&FORM=VIRE

A family favorite.

Advised NOT to wear my uniform in town during VN.

Bob Hope = Saint.

Red Skelton still breaks me up.

Gary Sinise - Yes!!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:50 am

Well i got around to setting up just enough track to see what would happen , i got sparks (track WILL need some serious cleaning lol) and the Loco didn't try to do anything SO , that will have to bee addressed also but all in all least the transformer works lol! I may clean enough track to see if i can get the Loco to do something !?! That would spark more interest for me to do more Rudolph
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:05 am

Well been busy doing anything other than FUN stuff :~( Here is a good little story of a owner https://www.mthtrains.com/about Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next