Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount Cox_ba12

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount Empty
Live on Patrol

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount

Go down

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount Empty Screws For Bee Backplate Mount

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:06 pm

Ok. So Santa was good to me this year, and I inherited a couple beautiful Cox Engines. Anyways with that said, one is destined to go onto my Goldberg Skylane 42 that was built by a fellow that is no longer around. I do not know what he had originally powered it with as there was no engine attached when I got it from the estate. However, it is a safe assumption that it was a Cox engine of sorts as the backplate mounts line up perfectly. But here is the tough call, and why I am asking here. The screws that he had once used are a 4-40 thread as I had to re-install a blind nut back into the mount, and I also put screws into the holes while refinishing it. I know that the screws are big for a metal Cox backplate. Is it fine to drill the holes a bit bigger in the backplate to use it, or am I better off using 2-56 hardware to mount it. Th emain reason I am hesitant to drill it is that it may weaken the 'ears' a bit and I do not want to do that as these are no longer available new. It will be difficult to do the installation that way, but it is do-able. Any help or ideas are as always, greatly welcome and appreciated.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount Empty Re: Screws For Bee Backplate Mount

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm

You are right, using 4-40 weaken backplate. 2-56 is best, it is approximately 0.7 mm less in diameter than 4-40. Eating 0.7 mm from ears may be too much, I think. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Just what I wanted and needed. I guess I will pop out the blind nuts now.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Could it have been equipped with an RC Bee or a Dragonfly? I think their mounting pattern is the same as on other Bees but the holes are bigger.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Oh. Something I had not thought of either. Could be a good guess as well.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:21 pm

The info. I found on this kit/model shows FRV engines. Was yours built for a reed-valve engine? Either way.. what would work.. is a 3-48 machine screw. The package that I just sent your way actually has some black oxide cap-screws that are 1" long. I sent them because the Cox .020 engines use a 3-48 prop screw.  

Dubro used to stock 3-48 blind-nuts..

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount Dubro_13

I'm actually wondering if there may have been a nylon "beam-style" engine mount that mounted radially to the model's firewall.. possibly with the 4-40 screws?? Huh...

Screws For Bee Backplate Mount 049_te11

In that case, it might have had a .049 Medallion or Tee Dee for power.

Nonetheless; 3-48 machine screws are a perfect fit for OEM Cox .049 "Bee" series backplate lugs.. and also the mounting-holes on the Medallion/Tee Dee .049/.051 engines.

FYI; the nylon beam-style mount shown I sourced from EXModel engines.

Last edited by roddie on Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : beam-mount source)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:17 pm

I can take a peek at the LHS for 3-48 hardware, but if memory serves me correct, I had looked for some there before and they had nothing available. But never hurts to ask. Thanks.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm

RTL Fasteners will have anything you need, fastener wise.  Here's a link for 3-48 screws. Their assortments are great too.

https://www.rtlfasteners.com/RC/1633.html
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 pm

I was thinking maybe a Tee Dee tank mount or Dragonfly may have been installed, but I just checked my stuff and while the bolt patterns are close, both are different from a Bee backplate as well as different from each other. Don't know if that's any help, but there it is.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Nope. That was great help. It at least eliminates one possibility. Thanks for checking.

And on another note..... So I looked at the engine that will be going on the plane and saw very light thread marks inside of the ears on the backplate, having me now believe that the engine was also mounted at one time with 4-40 screws. So I took a 4-40 screw and was able to 'thread' it into the mounting holes with only my fingers and no pressure until I could no longer screw it in with my fingers. Funny thing though, when I used a micro screwdriver to finish it off, it was freely spinning in the hole, but does not freely push out, but threads out with no pressure applied? Wierd. But since the screw went in like that, I am going to mount it with a 4-40 as I have them available and see how it feels.

And after looking at the plane again closely, I would not get the other hardware in the plane without doing some surgery! The holes are higher up on the firewall, behind the upper cowl about 3 inches and under the dash. I could not see nor feel anything close. The only other option is may have available is to drill new holes lower than what is there and either thread the plywood or use just small wood screws. Any opinions on doing this?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:43 am

The mounting hole pattern of the TeeDee049 nylon "beam-style" mount is different than the pattern the Bee or other tanked 049-s have. The former has the mounts in the corners of a square i.e. width and height of the screw pattern are the same. Bees, however, have the holes on an oblong but not square pattern and the distance between the holes is also different than on the Tee Dee 049 mount. So it is easy to identify if the original COX engine was a tanked reedy or a TeeDee, simply based on the mounting pattern.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down