Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Scale nitpicking - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Scale nitpicking - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Scale nitpicking - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Scale nitpicking

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scale nitpicking - Page 2 Empty Re: Scale nitpicking

Post  OhBee Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:43 am

Interesting idea Jim....Don't have any friends..I outlasted them all! Smile I think I can get my sister to launch,..she's semi interested in my planes and is ex Navy. She videoed some of my RC flights...No place flat enough to take off from the ground anyway! We'll have to sacrifice part of a hayfield to fly!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Mr. Steve,

I keep runner mats in the trunk of my car to make an impromptu runway. The same can be done with corrugated cardboard/plastic, sections of light plywood or anything else you care to haul to your flying "field."

You mentioned enlisting a family member (and training how) to hand-launch for you. Look here on the forum for the "barstool and carpet" stooge. Or maybe the guys that have them will pipe up (ISTR Roddie or Rusty?).

If you can manage the wheel-less launch, then this is yours...all yours! Just claim it and it will arrive in one piece. It was my first plane returning to the hobby in 2016. Now it can be YOURS!

The firewall is drilled out for #2 wood screws in a Babe Bee pattern. You may want to fill the holes with some Elmer's Glue to reinforce them. They haven't pulled out...yet.
Run the engine vertically to protect the needle.
The solid lead-outs are not very stiff, so you don't want to cartwheel.
It has been shown here before. Look for my post regarding the Wido Satan (plans on FlyingLines.org)
It will fly a Black Widow or Golden Bee, but it really winds up nose heavy. I bet it will float along just fine on one of your Bees. I believe I have your physical address from an earlier post, either here or on RCG.
It has crashed, and been fixed. It is still a good flyer. If you get to fly it only a few times, and then dies...well, it did exactly what it was built for!

Scale nitpicking - Page 2 Img_2206
Scale nitpicking - Page 2 Img_2208
Scale nitpicking - Page 2 Img_2207
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Geez Jim.....I sent you a PM.......Steve
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  smooth_bill Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Jim,

That was very nice of you - to donate that ready to fly airplane! Clapping

I think I gave you a Greenie, but suspect I gave it to Steve (OhBee) first, before I figured what I was doing!

Who me, read directions?

On another topic, has anyone here used Spectra lines for lead outs? I flew all of my small planes on Spectra lines, but the thought just occurred to me that it would make killer lead outs as well.

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Well, Mr. Bill, I do seem to remember you gave me a spare Norvel .061 muffler for my AP-powered Scientific P-40 (Rest-in-Pieces, dear WarHawk) a few years back! And FredVon graciously popped a UKIE .35 my way after the P-40 augered in...so what comes around, goes around!

If my kids won't have any of this, I may as well share with my dizzy airplane buddies.

I'm trying, Mr. Fred! Very Happy
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:08 am

Ah Grasshopper, honor me you do
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:29 am

Mr. Bill,

I used Spectra for lead-outs on a model with an external control system. Good thing the system was not In-the-Plane.

One of the lines chafed on a poorly finished line guide hole. Had the lead-outs been solid, the hole would have been burnished smooth. Had the lead-outs been stranded, the hole would have been worn smooth.

Then the knot slipped on the replacent line. Again, good thing the system was external.

In a nutshell, no synthetic lead-outs for me! I understand that won't fix bad knots, but at least the fail point won't be in/on the aircraft.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:43 pm

This is an update on 944_Jims widow satan offer. I have recieved the plane! Havn't seen one of these in the flesh since 1966! Now I have something to fly!...I hope! Thank you so much again for this Jim! And thanks to everyone else also for all the tips and help offered! My attempts at building something have been put on hold due to unforseen circumstances....so now I at least can attempt to see if this is possible again! I can,t seem to make the pics work today....
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Scale nitpicking - Page 2 20200313
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:21 pm

Ok...tracked down the pic gremlin!....Now.....maybe a tad of paint?
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:33 pm

CG is 1" + - a tad from LE  as pictured. That's with no fuel and only 2 engine mounting screws. That gonna work?....6×3 prop...Scale nitpicking - Page 2 20200314
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:21 pm

I Like that! Have your Sis hand-launch.. or use the "Triple-B" (barstool/bathmat/brick) stooge-launch system! (pokes Rusty..Wink )
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smooth_bill Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply r.e. Spectra lead outs. Sorry, almost missed seeing your comment, thus this late reply.

I've always been careful to de-burr brass or Nylon lead out guides. Gave up on solid lead outs after their first use on an airplane of mine and have used braided steel ever since. Got tired of trying to straighten solids every time they bumped against something.

All the half-A flyers in my club have been using Spectra lines for many years, with only two reported problems. One tried to lock his knots with CA and created a stress point and/or sharp edge to cut his line. The other fellow got Castor fuel exhaust on his hands and lines before doing the knots and naturally one slipped under load.

Also gave you a well deserved Greenie, for your generous gift to OhBee. Way to go, my  friend!

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:38 pm

OhBee,

I was worries about shipping it, and so glad it made it. Remember, if it dies after only two flights, it did what it was sent to do. Have fun with it.

It looks good from here! I would drop the prop to 5x3 since it is on a Babe Bee. Of course, if this prop is all you have, then run it!

CG 1" back...I seem to remember the Golden Bee put the CG right about on the LE...so you should have a smooth flier there. Watch the wood screws on the engine mount. If they have an unthreaded shank, then they can sink threads deeper into the nose block but leave only the shank in the plywood. They will grab only balsa (not good).

If they are threaded all the way to the head, then there will be threads in the plywood (better holding power).

You asked about mixing that dope. The stuff I sent is old school..It may not mix well with other dope wet (in liquid form), but it should be alright for patching over previously cured dope. Most of that plane was doped a few years back. The two patches closest to center on the trailing edge were done just about 10 days ago.

You did determine which of the tissues is DocSpan (exam table paper) and which is cheap gift wrap, right? The gift wrap is for patching the Wido Satan. I found the second plastic wrap here. Apparently I dropped it back out while building the box.

I hope you get to enjoy it. My kids couldn't care less, so it is in a better place now!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:48 pm

Thanks again Jim!..ya..I know which screws ..I actually have 2!  Will search for more!  You marked the grain direction on the "docspan"....frankly I cant see any diff one way or 'tother! Does it matter?.Which way is the "grain " supposed to run?.......and I plan on flying it WAY more than twice!  You should have seen the wrecks I repaired on my original back in the 60's!...  I think I have a 5x3 prop. What will the dfference bee?  Just more rpms isn't it?....less speed?
                  Just checked...the 5x3 I have is square tipped....no good?
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 am

Way to go Jim ! Very cool to send OhBee something to get him in the air and that feel of buzz flying at the end of the lines !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2