Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 Cox_ba12

COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Original Box for Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Today at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

COX Super Sport Trainer

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 Empty Re: COX Super Sport Trainer

Post  MauricioB Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 pm

balogh wrote:Thanks, Mauricio and Kim,

every time I get hold of a COX product I am amazed at how much care and precision went into these toys...nothing like just satisfying the short cycle, throw-away society consumerism of the recent decades.. dependable and lasting performance is what I prefer to competitive price for superficial quality and short life cycle. So I did not hesitate at all when entering the bidding for this beauty.

Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Precisely because of this, the original Cox products are wonderful.
They worked with total quality, their products were reliable and beautiful, when you really discover these pieces, when you really discover them, you wake up !!! and generally says: as I did not realize before !! Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:15 pm

1973 catalog

COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 73coxd10

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  jegbflat Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Hello to your forum group. I have to confess to being a visitor. My hope is some or all of you will take a minute to hear why I'm here. I began flying R/C gliders in 1973. My mentor taught me on one of his own designs, a sailplane called the SportPro, designed that same year. He went on to become a teacher and encourager of everyone he met in the hobby. He just recently passed away and I've embarked on a dream to build and fly a SportPro in Harley's honor. Which brings me to why I'm here. I just received the plans for this ship and, of all things, Harley used the canopy from a Cox F1 trainer as part of his canopy design. I've attached a photo of that part.

Much browsing eventually led me to your forum and your discussion of this small vintage plane. Something tells me odds are pretty slim to find and buy one. However I'm hoping that some owner of the little gems might be willing to help me realize this sentimental goal. I'd like the new SoortPro to be true to Harley's original as much as possible. If someone is willing to assist by providing a few photos of your canopy and some pertinent dimensions maybe I can reproduce it in fiberglas.

Anyway, I'm sorry this was so long and I appreciate anyone who waded through it.

If there is someone willing to help, you can contact me at. j e g b f l a t @ g m a I l

Thanks again!

Jerry G
Mount Vernon, WA
jegbflat
jegbflat

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:33 am

Hello Jerry, welcome to our forum. Stay here and you will read about  the fantastic experience of our members with the marvellous COX engines, planes and much more.

I have a NIB F1 Super Sport Trainer that is one of the prettiest COX planes IMHO. The F1 was my first and only COX plane I ever had some 47 years ago, the fragments of the fuselage still sitting in my garage. It did a lethal job in addicting me to the  Babe Bee .049  Small Cox Logo hobby.  Laughing

They sometimes pop up on ebay from where I also bought my this,  2nd one near 2 years back (see at the beginning of  the thread of the posts),  and while not cheap, they are worth the 100-ish US bucks money for COX fans.

This one is priced astronomical, but you may find better deals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-Super-Sport-Trainer-Plane-/274865485465?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

The canopy is about 10.5 cm long and 6cm wide at its base, and 4.5cm tall at its rear.
The planes of the canopy back and base join in an angle of about 115 degree i.e they are not perpendicular. You can see that 2 posts up on the genuine product photos.
Sorry for the rough numbers. I did not want to pop the canopy out from the fuselage, the 40+ year old plastic tabs may be brittle by now  and break easily.

COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 20211114

If I wanted to make one, I would probably repurpose a household cleaning fluid  plastic bottle of matching dimensions and cut out the canopy from its shoulder. Transparent window cleaner fluid bottles or similar are plentiful in a Wallmart and you just have to find the contour and dimensions  best matching the canopy, sitting on the shelf.

Good luck.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:05 am

I received mine around 74. The looks of it was overwhelming. It was to replace my devastated PT-19. Well I managed to obliterate it on it's first flight. Not because it became airborne. I hit a parking lot light abutment. Talk about a Charlie Brown moment. Well, it was apparent I had a thing for this plane and I received another almost a year later to the date. This has been with me since on my work bench. This newer model has the screen tack welded to the cylinder. I keep saying should I fly it. One day I suppose I will. What good does it do on the bench? I have the instructions, the handle, no box.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:20 am

Ken,

My concern is whether the plastic has become too brittle or not. Once I bought an engine screwed to the pink firewall, and when I wanted to remove it, the firewall disintegrated to its atoms, almost pulverized. I am also tempted to fly mine but to flight-test the bellcrank pole if strong enough to withstand centrifugal forces would be a devastating exercise,  if it is not.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:39 am

I completely agree. My hobby shop had all the replacement parts in the rafters in the basement. I should've purchased them. My outboard tip is drooped and this was a common problem with these. I would go to Penn Valley Hobby shop  on Thursday evenings. My club did this for years as we would get our needed supplies and have dinner around the corner. The amount of rare Cox parts they had was just overwhelming. I never gave it a thought to purchasing any of them. What is now deemed as rare was in plain view and in the glass cases for sale. The parts they had literally consumed a room of about 250 sq ft.  The Cox dragster parts were plentiful and all of the parts for planes were in the ceiling rafters. Boxes of fuselages and other parts. Larry Renger visited us one evening for dinner. I remember he was in awe seeing that stuff. He bought two new PT-19's and several parts for them. They were using them to teach kids to fly and parts were becoming difficult to source.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:44 am

Do you know where that plethora of genuine COX parts wound up after the hobbyshop stopped selling them or closed? Did they simply sell out, or, ( I am shivering to even think of it  Old Bugger ) discarded them?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:54 am

So nice to revisit this thread and read all the responses again.

I remember it stimulated me to look for one, but never found it. I think I wound up with this wingless Testors look-alike fuselage for which I added a balsa wing of unknown design.

COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 P1012075
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:50 pm

your best bet for finding a canopy is to keep watching E bay. You'll find a parts lot or portion of a plane that has the canopy.  You could look up "Gascarman" as a seller on the bay, he has lots of Cox parts. I think he is a bit high on shiping this item, as the other items he has listed are more reasonable in shipping. COX Super Sport Trainer - Page 2 Screen79
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2