Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

New freebies! Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» ENYA .35 rod
by OhBee Today at 5:47 pm

» Coved-19 and how it affects life
by NEW222 Today at 5:31 pm

» Printing in tile program
by andrew Today at 1:23 pm

» It’s the Pitts….
by rsv1cox Today at 9:49 am

» os wankel?
by robot797 Today at 9:18 am

» Start a collection
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:46 am

» COXADOODLEDO
by Admin Today at 1:45 am

» Testors project engine??
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:45 am

» Another proposed design by Roddie
by OhBee Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Landing-gear 1/2-A variations
by roddie Yesterday at 5:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2020
Dave P.'s

"Tee Dee .051"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New freebies! Empty

New freebies!

Go down

New freebies! Empty New freebies!

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Just picked these up from my Dad’s house. Saito FA-80 NIB, what looks to be a Norvel AME .061 and a decent Pee Wee which unfortunately has the prop screw broken off in the crank. I’ll have to see if I have a spare crank. I really like the Saito although, I have no idea what to put it on.

Ron

New freebies! E6bf3710
New freebies! 216d8310
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

Trusted Seller

Back to top Go down

New freebies! Empty Re: New freebies!

Post  Levent Suberk on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:04 pm

Like that FA 80. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks Levent! Me too. I have a couple large  RC kits, can’t remember what displacement they require though.

Does anybody know what a 2 stroke displacement equivalent is to a 4 stroke?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

Trusted Seller

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Ron, the .80 would fly a .60 size control line plane provided it wasn't a boat anchor. The 4 stroke craze fizzled out a few years back and those that switched opted for the PA .75's. The problem is that electric motors have even performed superior to both. The Saito .80 I believe is a lot of weight somewhere in the 19 oz. range. I suppose this is good if your flying a Fokker Triplane.

Last edited by Ken Cook on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:05 pm

Greetings!  Older four cycle engines were thought to be about 60-65% of the equivalent 2 cycle engine.  From what I remember, there was a general rule of thumb that could be applied to the power spread between the older class of 4 strokes versus 2 strokes but as technology advanced that rule of thumb shrank significantly and the guide became dependent on the flight speed and weight of the model.  For example in the late 70's and early 80's a 2 stroke .40 was comparable to a 4 stroke 60, a 2 stroke 60 was comparable to a 4 stroke 120.  However today, with the advances in design, efficiency, propeller selection, I would suggest your Saito 80 would be comparable to a good strong 60-75 2 stroke yet based on the type of plane, stunt, scale vs trainer.  I have my older model Saito 80 swinging a 14x6 prop on a 96" wingspan 3 channel, old-timer that I use for training.  It was originally built and powered with an old Enya 40 with a 10x6 prop.  The thing is huge and actually thermals, somewhat … I call it my J 2-1/2 because it's not quite a J-3.  Anyway I hope that I've been of some help. Smile
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Nice Haul Ron. I've got a Saito 80 on a 72' wingspan Cub, It fly's it really nice . Is the Norvel a RC or CL ?
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Nice haul. Especially that Golden Knight. I have never personally seen one with my own eyes in person before, but always liked the looks of them.
NEW222
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the info!

To answer the question the Norvel is CL.

Do you think the Saito would fly this?

New freebies! 1a4a8210
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

Trusted Seller

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Thanks everyone I appreciate all the info!

New freebies! 1a4a8210
It would bee perfect for that airplane
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 pm

Ron, if your intention is control line you should seek the advice of Bob Reeves. Bob can easily be contacted in the 4 stroke section of Stunthanger. Bob has done a extensive amount of control line use Saito's. I met him at Brodak's some years back and one plane I can recall which was just outright cool was Henry Werner's Hughes XF-11. I believe Bob helped Henry setup the twin four strokes. He could offer sound advice to venturi size and requirements.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:57 pm

norvel .061 glow plug fit on cox .049 .061 has mutch power nice one
davidll1984
davidll1984
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 am

Ken Cook wrote:              Ron, if your intention is control line you should seek the advice of Bob Reeves. Bob can easily be contacted in the 4 stroke section of Stunthanger. Bob has done a extensive amount of control line use Saito's. I met him at Brodak's some years back and one plane I can recall which was just outright cool was Henry Werner's Hughes XF-11. I believe Bob helped Henry setup the twin four strokes. He could offer sound advice to venturi size and requirements.

Speaking of Henry and Saitos, he sent me these pictures a while back of his 7' span P-38 powered by twin Saito .40s.
New freebies! Webmai10
New freebies! Webmai11
Sorry the pictures turned out so small.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 am

akjgardner wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Thanks everyone I appreciate all the info!

New freebies! 1a4a8210
It would bee perfect for that airplane

That plane is ideal for the Saito 4 stroke.  A few scale flyers I know prefer four strokes and have several good reasons.

Tick over for  RC can be set much lower than two stroke. Although the engine is heavier than a two stroke equivalent, the silencers are usually much smaller and lighter.

They “sound’” quieter than two strokes having a different engine note.

They are ideal for upside down mounting. If you flood it - a few reverse turns on the prop and the excess fuel will drain from the exhaust valve.

A big downside is that they can throw props on backfiring. Some have locknuts fitted but I have seen a few with pegged drive plates to keep the prop secure.

Here is Windy with a Saito 90 - skip through his waffle to the flying field.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:32 am

Ian, that video brought back some great memories. The video started with Bob Zambelli, tuning the Red Baron at Palisades Park Swim Club parking lot. I enjoyed flying there. The later portion of the video is Garden State Circle Burners field, we've lost both flying sites never to return. Reuben Macbride was the fellow holding the plane as Bob was adjust the Z-tron throttle control. Reuben and his son moved west some years back and I haven't seen or heard from them. Another person in the video was Rich Giacobone. Rich flies control line clockwise and always has. What really grabbed my attention was Dan Banjock and his Stilletto at 54 min mark. Dan is my flying partner. The Stilletto is powered by a Enya 4 stroke and is one heck of a beast of an engine. The plane is still around and I fly it every now and then. Everything about it is worn out minus the engine. Dan's Farman biplane is also shown in this video. That plane was true are work as Bob and Dan configured a LA .46 in a pusher configuration. The LA was inverted in the nose of the bipe and it used a shaft with small rag joints to a axle shaft supported on bearings. The tank was custom built with a tunnel in it for the shaft. This was due to pusher issues when one points the nose up, a pusher with a forward mounted tank richens when pointed nose high. This solved that problem. The plane was totalled at our home field about 2 years after this video.

I found this old picture of Dan with his Farman at Palisades Park New freebies! Danny_10 The P-51 on the ground was owned and built by Neal Beakman NYC firefighter. Neal would purchase the wing only from Nobler ARF's and build his planes around it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum