Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Cox_ba12

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Empty
Live on Patrol

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Empty And, still MORE engine running out in the shop...

Post  Kim Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:59 pm

The front yard was right on the verge of becoming somewhat solid...before this latest "Gully Washer" rolled through and returned it to a near-marsh condition, so no circle-turning gonna happen out there.

Didn't feel like working on any projects, and couldn't spray paint in the liquid air, so decided it was time to turn some fuel to noise, and jam it all together on Movie Maker.

I promise that SOMETHING will actually fly at some point, and I'll video it!

https://youtu.be/wBSN38swmmY
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Empty Re: And, still MORE engine running out in the shop...

Post  aspeed Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 am

Nice to see the Conquest, Rossi and Holland Hornet breathing again. I don't recall ever seeing a Hornet run. Was the same prop used on all the smaller ones?
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Empty Re: And, still MORE engine running out in the shop...

Post  Kim Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:43 am

aspeed wrote:Nice to see the Conquest, Rossi and Holland Hornet breathing again.  I don't recall ever seeing a Hornet run. Was the same prop used on all the smaller ones?  

Thank You!
Yeah, I was running mostly Gray 5-3s and a couple woody's.

I'll be running my Uncle's Holland Hornet .049 once I'm able to visit him again.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:57 am

That was an enjoyable 4:37 Kim. I just cupped my chin in my hands and got lost in the sights and the sounds.

Loved that little twin stack, got one. The Hornet too, but the Cox Conquest was the winner. Strong and steady throughout. I had one too, sold it un-ran. My loss.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 am

Kim, that was cool. I have to ask, where did the Nelson head come from on the Hornet? Is that offered by Doug Galbreath? Secondly and most impressive was the CS Brodak .049 running. The fact that it was running is what was most impressive. All kidding aside, mine was a good runner once I replaced everything in it. Not real powerhouses but they do pretty well once working. Henry Nelson made heads for that engine. I always wanted one but when I last saw Henry, he didn't have any left. I probably could've persuaded him but at the time we had bigger fish to fry. I made a bench here at the house to run engines on the other day. I would love to be doing that here but I'm in close proximity of neighbors. The one neighbor will call the police if the wind blows too hard.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:27 am

That was an enjoyable 874 minutes ( I watched it twice ) Very Happy Thanks for posting it
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  daddyo Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:36 pm

I don't think I've seen exhaust port glow before (saw on Norvel).

How about a simultaneous choral harmony of as many motors running as possible? Might be a bit dangerous moving around all those props though.
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:49 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            Kim, that was cool. I have to ask, where did the Nelson head come from on the Hornet? Is that offered by Doug Galbreath? Secondly and most impressive was the CS Brodak .049 running. The fact that it was running is what was most impressive. All kidding aside, mine was a good runner once I replaced everything in it. Not real powerhouses but they do pretty well once working. Henry Nelson made heads for that engine. I always wanted one but when I last saw Henry, he didn't have any left. I probably could've persuaded him but at the time we had bigger fish to fry. I made a bench here at the house to run engines on the other day. I would love to be doing that here but I'm in close proximity of neighbors. The one neighbor will call the police if the wind blows too hard.

Thanks Ken!

I got the Hornet quite a few years ago, and it arrived with a burned-out head. I THINK the adapter was one of my first orders from MECOA, but not sure...it was a while back.

I'm wanting to get the little Brodak on my Q-Tee...think it'll be just right to make it a mellow cruiser. I think it's just fine in a sport mode...which is pretty much my permanent mode, but do remember guys a while back saying that it wasn't a big performer. Still mighty cute.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:53 pm

daddyo wrote:I don't think I've seen exhaust port glow before (saw on Norvel).

How about a simultaneous choral harmony of as many motors running as possible?  Might be a bit dangerous moving around all those props though.

Oh man, don't give me ideas!!!!!! It would probably resemble those "Spinning-Plates-On-Sticks" guys from variety shows in the 60's!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:56 pm

That was great! I was beginning to suffer from "Kim's Videos" withdrawal. I, too, noticed the exhaust glow on the NORVEL. I will occasionally run engines in the early evening, but after dark, on the back patio -- always have to turn the lights off for a minute just the see the orange (still a kid, I guess).

That looked like a Brodak Mk. I -- some of the Mk. Is were real turds. I think the Mk. II designs are supposed to be better, at least with better quality control.

We are as wet on this side of the creek as you are -- but, at least I've seen the sun this week.

Thanks for the posting!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks Andrew!

Got a beautiful afternoon going on here, though the wind is hitting across the hill at an average of 15-20 mph. I was tempted to drag my spray gear out and get a base coat on the THREE projects that are waiting for theirs, but memories of "mysterious leaves from nowhere" landing on a freshly painted wing, and that time a wet-dope fuselage got rolled off the table and into the grass made me decide to just enjoy the day...which I am!

So far, got a fly-by from an adolescent bald eagle, along with my standard-issue red tail hawks...they look like they're having fun riding on the breeze!

Nature Boy Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:58 pm

WHEEEEEEE!  Gotcha on Big Screen ! Volume Up!  Can almost smell the castor!  

Thanks for posting!!

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Cf88f610

Went right into SMALL ....what a way to spend the day!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Glad you liked it !!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Empty good engine run day

Post  akjgardner Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:01 am

Quit working on the house to take a break and run some engines. ran a fox.10,OK cub .049b, McCoy 35 that Kim gave me for the Shoestring, a McCoy 19, Enya 15 a Black Widow and a Golden bee. got some video but could't post it here.I will have to figure out how to put it on you tube.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Very enjoyable vid. I had trouble viewing at first (had audio but video froze during the Hornet run. I then watched on YouTube which solved that issue.

I noticed that the prop-nut/prop on the Hornet departed around 00:48. What size thread is it? If 5-40; I have spares.. and would be happy to send you one. If it's the more common 6-32; you probably have spares. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:46 pm

So Kim was that when the Hornet broke? It stopped abruptly and puked the spinner and prop.

Cool engine runs!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:26 am

Very cool running all those variate of engines was High entertainment !!! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:41 am

Cribbs74 wrote:So Kim was that when the Hornet broke? It stopped abruptly and puked the spinner and prop.

Cool engine runs!!!

Sorry guys, I somehow kept skipping over this thread.  

Thank you for the offer of help, Roddie, but I recovered all the parts.  The stoppage was due to the Hornet snapping it's rod, and the resulting VERY quick halt hurling the nut and prop across the shop.

Now, if you DO happen to have an extra H.H. .051 piston/conrod laying around....

Last edited by Kim on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:26 pm

I do remember someone telling me that the Holland Hornet had a weak spot. I guess it was the rod. Is the piston damaged? Maybe you could make up a stronger rod? That was just a bit before my time, but I remember it was the one to beat until the TD came along.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 pm

Isn’t the Hornet an .051 Kim? Wink

The rod is aluminum, not sure if that makes it weak, but you are right it’s a common problem. It has the same ball/cup like the Cox engines do. Not impossible to replace but not easy either.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:46 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Isn’t the Hornet an .051 Kim? Wink

The rod is aluminum, not sure if that makes it weak, but you are right it’s a common problem. It has the same ball/cup like the Cox engines do. Not impossible to replace but not easy either.

You're right...it's a .051 (durn numbers again).  The piston looks to be in good shape, and the ball is free in the socket, but I surely don't have the skills to machine a new one, or install it.  

I'll keep an eye out for a spare (there's GOT to be one in a packet somewhere), and probably get another whole engine eventually.  My Uncle Wayne has an .049 version for me when I'm eventually allowed to visit him.

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Img_1810
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 pm

That looks like it's there forever.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:34 am

I have the same problem with my Tee Dee .050.
Does anyone have a piston, or know where I can get one?
How do you remove the broken con rod from the piston?
I see on Cox International, they have just a piston (.049 - I know the .049 and .050 are not the same size dia.)
How could I remove the conrod from that (.049 piston) and use it on the Tee Dee .050 piston?

Thanks,
sosam117

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Tee_de10

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Tee_de11

Kim wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Isn’t the Hornet an .051 Kim? Wink

You're right...it's a .051 (durn numbers again).  The piston looks to be in good shape, and the ball is free in the socket, but I surely don't have the skills to machine a new one, or install it.  

I'll keep an eye out for a spare (there's GOT to be one in a packet somewhere), and probably get another whole engine eventually.  My Uncle Wayne has an .049 version for me when I'm eventually allowed to visit him.

And, still MORE engine running out in the shop... Img_1810
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 am

sosam117 wrote:I have the same problem with my Tee Dee .050.
Does anyone have a piston, or know where I can get one?
How do you remove the broken con rod from the piston?
I see on Cox International, they have just a piston (.049 - I know the .049 and .050 are not the same size dia.)
How could I remove the conrod from that (.049 piston) and use it on the Tee Dee .050 piston?

Thanks,

]
On the Cox, you are better off just getting a new TD piston/cyl. set from Cox International or whatever sponsor you may choose. An .049 set will give virtually the same power as the .051 if you can't find an .051. The cost is minimal. The Holland Hornet is a different matter, fairly rare.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:25 am

Kim, there's a Holland Hornet .051 piston on EBAY right now. A few cases, a shaft and smaller items. I don't know how well your attached to that engine, and I'm certain the current bid which is low right now will go considerably higher. I just did a search for Holland Hornet and up it came.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next