Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


Black Widow tank vent repair. Cox_ba12




Black Widow tank vent repair. Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile
by Kim Today at 8:52 am

» Strange stuff is happening
by rsv1cox Today at 8:25 am

» .049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much
by getback Today at 7:56 am

» The unfriendly Bee
by rsv1cox Today at 7:53 am

» Another strange idea
by getback Today at 7:38 am

» Cars, cars, and more cars
by OVERLORD Today at 2:31 am

» $3000 to start and may be worth it. "Free shipping"
by cstatman Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -August 2021-
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» Tinking of build Amphibious vehicle with .049 engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» This didn't go too well.
by FlipStart Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Svenson Coxy plan
by OVERLORD Yesterday at 3:17 pm

» Spike and Oscar, best buddies
by andrew Yesterday at 11:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2021
Kim's

"Rusty's RR-1 runs up on the Q-Tee on a beautiful Summer S.M.A.L.L. Day."




PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery


Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty

Black Widow tank vent repair.

Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  duaneh Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:19 am

The fill vent tube has slipped its moorings. The only options that I can see are a JB weld repair, or order a replacement. It seems like this would be a somewhat common problem, and I wondered if anybody has a less primitive method of repair. I tried using the search feature, but didn't find anything on this topic.
duaneh
duaneh
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 61
Join date : 2019-04-06

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:10 am

While JB weld will work, as I and others have used it and it works, there are alternatives. However, I am not by my computer at the moment, but Mauricio had a very ingenious way of repairing them, along with other sin the same thread. Let me give it a shot to see if I can find it. I do recall that it was a Golden Bee thread...
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3313
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 42
Location : oakbank, mb

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:44 am

I'm not quite certain that the JB weld method is primitive. It works better than probably any method in terms that it insures a leak free connection. Even 30 min epoxy works, I like to heat the epoxy be it JB weld or structural epoxy when it's on the tank using a heat gun. It makes the viscosity thin and it runs in well, clean up is very simple as a Q-tip with alcohol cleans either or perfectly. Heat can remove it if for some reason later you had to remove it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4415
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  fit90 Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 am

If you have a way to hold everything together properly then brazing would be a good alternative.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1326
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Naples, Florida

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  andrew Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:24 am

@Ken Cook wrote: I'm not quite certain that the JB weld method is primitive. It works better than probably any method in terms that it insures a leak free connection. ..............

I'm a believer in JB Weld and use it for a LOT of repairs -- I think it's your best choice here.  

My preference is the 30 minute product.  Use a little heat to smooth and flatten it and make sure everything is super clean.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1393
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 73
Location : Western Kentucky

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  Iceberg Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:02 pm

I purchased 3/32 aluminum tubing. Pulled out the loose filler tube cut an appropriate length of the 3/32 tube and inserted in again into the tank. It fit snug and had zero leak after that. I was careful to slightly angle the end to make sure the fuel or tank would not plug the other end. It will be silver not black but works well.
Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 347
Join date : 2018-11-03
Location : Bangkapi Thailand

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  duaneh Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:29 pm

@Iceberg wrote:I purchased 3/32 aluminum tubing. Pulled out the loose filler tube cut an appropriate length of the 3/32 tube and inserted in again into the tank. It fit snug and had zero leak after that. I was careful to slightly angle the end to make sure the fuel or tank would not plug the other end. It will be silver not black but works well.


Thanks, Ice! The tank hole measures .089", I'm not certain a .005" interference fit will work. But if the aluminum is soft enough to take it, the repair would certainly not leak.

I see a lot of support for the JB weld solution. That will be my backup plan, although I still think there may be a Jeff Foxworthy joke hiding in there somewhere. Huh...
duaneh
duaneh
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 61
Join date : 2019-04-06

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  EXModelEngines Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:50 pm

@duaneh wrote:
@Iceberg wrote:I purchased 3/32 aluminum tubing. Pulled out the loose filler tube cut an appropriate length of the 3/32 tube and inserted in again into the tank. It fit snug and had zero leak after that. I was careful to slightly angle the end to make sure the fuel or tank would not plug the other end. It will be silver not black but works well.


Thanks, Ice! The tank hole measures .089", I'm not certain a .005" interference fit will work. But if the aluminum is soft enough to take it, the repair would certainly not leak.

I see a lot of support for the JB weld solution. That will be my backup plan, although I still think there may be a Jeff Foxworthy joke hiding in there somewhere. Huh...

We use 3/32" as the "raw" OD for our filler tubes so you shouldn't have any issues. If the hole seems a little too loose like it has opened up a small dab of JB Weld will suit you fine.

FYI - we also braised some in for a customer who had a custom tank setup and this works well too!

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 785
Join date : 2011-06-07
Location : Central CT, USA

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  OhBee Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Not had good luck around liquids with J B weld ....fuel or antifreeze.  Tried to fix a fitting on my lawnmower with it. Lasted about 3 weeks before the fuel softenened it  up and it started leaking again!  Same result  with a fitting  on the radiator of my Jeep.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 694
Join date : 2016-03-23
Age : 70
Location : Minnesota

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:20 pm

@OhBee wrote:Not had good luck around liquids with J B weld ....fuel or antifreeze.  Tried to fix a fitting on my lawnmower with it. Lasted about 3 weeks before the fuel softenened it  up and it started leaking again!  Same result  with a fitting  on the radiator of my Jeep.

Try 24 hour epoxy. It is more fuel resistant than instant epoxies, like as 5 min. epoxy.
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1256
Join date : 2017-12-24
Location : Turkey

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  OhBee Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:36 pm

I always and only use slow cure products.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 694
Join date : 2016-03-23
Age : 70
Location : Minnesota

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  ticomareado Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Since I'm not ever going to the prom again, my dentist uses JB Weld on me.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Posts : 1089
Join date : 2013-10-03
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Black Widow tank vent repair. Empty Re: Black Widow tank vent repair.

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum