Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

ID this engine Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2020
Kim's

"A Space Bug Goes for a Cruise"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

ID this engine Empty

ID this engine

Go down

ID this engine Empty ID this engine

Post  dht7788 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:08 am

I’ve been trying to ID this engine. It looks like a cross between a Wen Mac and a McCoy .049
I can’t find a picture anywhere that is similar to this engine.
Any guesses?ID this engine 20f6f010
ID this engine 34ca5d10
ID this engine 22eb2e10
dht7788
dht7788
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

ID this engine Empty Re: ID this engine

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:39 am

You have a Fox .07 . Someone drilled and tapped the stock head for a standard glow plug. Matt from EX Model Engines has a few parts for the engine including the stock replacement head. I will say this, if done properly, a converted head in this engine works exceptionally well unlike head adapters for other .049's. The Fox .049/.07 is pretty powerful for what it is. These have a ball socket like a Cox, DO NOT RESET the piston is like a eggshell and it's cast. It will shatter. Clean it up, run it and enjoy it, they're fun little engines. The .049 used the same case but the cylinder was slightly different.

Now due to my own confusion and someone might be able to set this straight, the differences between the .07 and the .049 is at the base where it screws into the cylinder. One is thick at the flange and the other is thin. The cylinders also have a difference between cylinder fins as one has more.

Checking mine, the .07 has 9 fins and a thin flange at the bottom. The .049 has a thick flange and 7 fins, sorry for the confusion.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Ken Cook wrote:You have a Fox .07 . Someone drilled and tapped the stock head for a standard glow plug. Matt from EX Model Engines has a few parts for the engine including the stock replacement head. I will say this, if done properly, a converted head in this engine works exceptionally well unlike head adapters for other .049's. The Fox .049/.07 is pretty powerful for what it is. These have a ball socket like a Cox, DO NOT RESET the piston is like a eggshell and it's cast. It will shatter. Clean it up, run it and enjoy it, they're fun little engines. The .049 used the same case but the cylinder was slightly different.

Now due to my own confusion and someone might be able to set this straight, the differences between the .07 and the .049 is at the base where it screws into the cylinder. One is thick at the flange and the other is thin. The cylinders also have a difference between cylinder fins as one has more.

Checking mine, the .07 has 9 fins and a thin flange at the bottom. The .049 has a thick flange and 7 fins, sorry for the confusion.
I also think the .049 has a dome in the middle of the piston and the .07 doesn't. Easy to see through the exhaust.
What was it with Fox and unmarked engines? Surely it wouldn't have cost much to include a name and size when manufactured.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:42 pm

Rod, your absolutely correct. Depending on the year of manufacturing, some of the Fox .07's and .049's were marked. My examples had their marking removed. The Comet logo was on many of these engines for the Comet ready to fly models. Duke and Comet got into a dispute and he was stuck with all these engines so he ground off the logo and cut off the tank. He utilized a portion of the tank for the backplate of the engine. Both of my examples are quite crude but this is what he did to sell these engines.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dht7788 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks guys! It is an .07 because the piston is flat and has 9 fins.
Never saw one of these before.
I looked at Fox but didn’t see this engine.
It turns over, and I think I’ll try to run it.
dht7788
dht7788
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 pm

It's actually a early 'Comet' .07 (built by Fox for Comet RTF) it wasn't till afterward that they were sold as Fox engines. This is one of the very first versions (c.1959) no logo on case, die tab on the bottom, tall intake and brass tubes on tank. I had started cataloging the different versions with help from Bill Mohrbacher, but we never got'er done.
ID this engine 22414310
ID this engine 27747610
ID this engine 07-04910
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am

Fox has made numerous engines with no markings on them. This is why fellows like Bill Mohrbacher was monumental in documenting these engines. Even to this day with all the examples I have owned, used or witnessed, there's always another example that comes down the road that has subtle differences. One particular engine that comes to mind is the 70's large case .40 with assistance from George Aldrich. This little gem is virtually never mentioned and I've found this engine to be a real beast of a engine which is extremely stunt friendly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:17 am

Ken Cook wrote:            Fox has made numerous engines with no markings on them. This is why fellows like Bill Mohrbacher was monumental in documenting these engines. Even to this day with all the examples I have owned, used or witnessed, there's always another example that comes down the road that has subtle differences. One particular engine that comes to mind is the 70's large case .40 with assistance from George Aldrich. This little gem is virtually never mentioned and I've found this engine to be a real beast of a engine which is extremely stunt friendly.

Ken, I have seen 2 of those here locally. Never seen one used though.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

Trusted Seller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:27 am

i had that engine in a Midwest P-51 in jr high, gave it away when i went into Navy....grrr.

ID this engine Midwes10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:51 am

The one that got away... Sad
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

Trusted Seller

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:08 am

Mark, that's too funny you mentioned the Midwest planes and that engine. My buddy Dan just got done saying that the big case .40 would be a perfect combo with those planes. They were a bit heavy and thinned wing but that engine is a torque monster. It even prompted him to pull out a old P-40 Midwest kit he had. I didn't realize though that the P-40 has a better wing than the Mustang, P-63< and ME-109. The P-40 has a bit more area and airfoil and it's a constant chord wing. My P-63 is just begging for that engine to be installed on it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:12 pm

lol, so now a story, the 'stang was my second 'big' plane (i had just built a banshee) and this was to be my greatest endeavor!
First flight i came in hard for landing on a ruff playground and tore out the landing gear. Ok, repair time, and while i'm at it i should tear down engine to make sure theres no dirt inside, remember I'm in 7th grade.
So big day, club (1/2 doz. max) get together. really windy and cold, unwind my .018 x 70' (this is what the experts said i needed) lines and fire up the engine, very little RPM, no amount of needle can get the RPM up, but i wanna fly so i signal thumbs up to launch...right away it comes in splat!
The hobby shop owner just happen to have a crashed 109 with an intact outboard wing, i grafted on and as far as the engine....some goofy kid put the liner in backwards when he reassembled it!!!!
I flew it several times after that, but i had made flaps fixed and with all the added weight of glue and dope it just wasn't the same.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            Fox has made numerous engines with no markings on them. This is why fellows like Bill Mohrbacher was monumental in documenting these engines. Even to this day with all the examples I have owned, used or witnessed, there's always another example that comes down the road that has subtle differences. One particular engine that comes to mind is the 70's large case .40 with assistance from George Aldrich. This little gem is virtually never mentioned and I've found this engine to be a real beast of a engine which is extremely stunt friendly.
Is this the one you mean Ken?  Had this given to me a while back.
ID this engine 100_4810
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:41 pm

That would be the engine. George Aldrich worked with Duke in designing that engine. The engine was to be purpose built for racing, however it underwent a re design in which the case was designed for a ball bearing was now bushed. In addition, it underwent some porting changes and it really is a very good stunt engine. However, by probably dumb luck, Duke got the metallurgy on this engine correct and it takes FOREVER to break it in. I took it apart and lapped it in 4 times before I could get the engine to turn up without sagging. I have the control line version of this engine. George not only assisted in designing this engine, he went another step and did some reworking of the ports and other minor changes . George's engines have GMA scribed on the underside of the mounting lugs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm

I managed to get a gasket & screw set for it and gave it a clean-up. It's a while since I ran it but I recall it ran pretty well once I managed to sort out the two jet carb. Opposite to air-bleed carbs- set the idle first and then the high speed needle. (That's a whole other story!)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:29 pm

Rod, where did you get the gasket set? I have some but not the cylinder fin to case gasket. This engine is odd where the screws protrude all the way into the lower case via the fins. When the gasket goes bad, the head screws leak out the top. Trying to duplicate this gasket would be a real test of patience which I'm increasingly running short of. Mecoa was looking for part numbers and manuals for this engine to acquire part numbers.  My only real beef with this engine is that once you drill for it, nothing else will fit due to this giant footprint it has which actually isn't a bad thing. Amazingly though, this engine is only 8.35 oz's in a control line setup. I just strongly dislike having to remove the circlips from the wrist pin to disassemble the engine. This is just begging to have a accident.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:21 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Rod, where did you get the gasket set?
Not sure about that.  Got them off a regular ebay seller in your neck of the woods, but can't remember who it was.  I think they said they were the same as a .35.

EDIT: Just went through some old emails. I had talked to Henry Werner about it and he confirmed that he had the gasket/screw set, but I can't find confirmation that I actually got them off him. Regardless, he's long out of the game, so I doubt you'd do any good. It's possible it was Bob Brooks.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum