Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Very sad day Cox_ba12

Very sad day Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Very sad day Empty
Live on Patrol

Very sad day

Go down

Sad Very sad day

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Just got the sad news that John Brodak passed away

Rest in Peace John
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Very sad day

Post  Kim Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:26 pm

Sorry to hear.
Rest in Peace Mr. Brodak.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Oh crap!....that IS bad news Fred. I didn't even know he was sick or anything. My condolences to the family..
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:33 pm

ohh, I'm so sorry, from this place I enjoyed your notes a lot, a few years ago a friend of mine visited him and made a note for a hobby program in our country.
I am very sorry, my respects and condolences to your friends and family.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Very sorry to know this. Rest in peace Mr. Brodak. Pray
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Sad news indeed. We lost a pillar in the hobby, and
a good guy.
R.I.P. John.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 pm

Gone but not forgotten. His name appears on many hobby products in my home.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:36 pm

That's sad news for sure. There's a good bit of stuff in my shop with his name on it too. Godspeed John.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Sorry to hear of John Brodak's passing. He will be missed in the community.

I have two of his kits, not yet assembled, the Fock Wulf 190 and Continental, both 55" span profile CL.

1 Thessalonians 4:16,17 (WEB) wrote:For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with God’s trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever."
If he personally knew the Lord, those of us who also know the Lord will again see him someday. Rest in peace, John.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:41 am

Wow. Sorry to hear of Johns passing. I just read it here first. Got a few Brodak things kicking around here as well.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Indeed, sad for John's loved ones and sad for the aero modeling community. I believe he has been battling illness for quite some time, so the news is not a shock to me.

George, committed Catholic I believe. (Not sure how I know that).
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:05 am

I'm sorry to hear this. Crying or Very sad My condolences to his family and friends.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:42 am

Sorry to hear about this , How old was John ? Rest in Peace  I don't know much about him but am sure he was a contributor to this hobby . there is info of him here https://brodak.com/get-to-know-john-brodak
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 am

getback wrote:Sorry to hear about this , How old was John ? Rest in Peace  I don't know much about him but am sure he was a contributor to this hobby . there is info of him here https://brodak.com/get-to-know-john-brodak
Yes, this is sad news......He Was 81
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:39 am

John was not only a hobbyist, he was a kind individual. I attended the Brodak Fly-In many times and John offered anything he had to help anyone. Carmichaels, Pennsylvania lost a terrific man.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 am

I’ve never met John, I do have a lot of Brodak items. I also know he has been ailing for some time. At least he is no longer suffering and 81yrs is a good run. Hopefully the business and fly-in will continue on in his memory.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:20 am

He will be missed, not just in the control line community, but in his home town. I went to the fly-in last year for the first time, and was quite impressed with him although he was too unwell to make an appearance. He seemed to own the whole town. Grocery store, liquor store, hobby shop, quite a large manufacturing plant which I would have liked to have a tour of, and the Brodak name seemed to be even out of town. A paved flying circle at his home and about three grass circles. Irreplaceable icon.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:53 pm

John’s obit.

https://www.yoskovichfh.com/obituary/john-brodak

Looks like the memorial service will be available to view online.

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:58 pm

Rest in peace most worthy brother!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Indeed, sad for John's loved ones and sad for the aero modeling community.  I believe he has been battling illness for quite some time, so the news is not a shock to me.
Yes indeed, but as Ron pointed out, he did live until 81, which is a good ripe old age. According to his obit shared by Jason_WI (thanks, Jason!), when younger he was quite ambitious and business like in his endeavours.

Oldenginerod wrote:George, committed Catholic I believe. (Not sure how I know that).
Not quite, currently I'm a Salvationist (with The Salvation Army, similar to Methodist - William Booth, founder was a Methodist preacher), but we have friends who are Catholic who help us in Christmas bell ringing to raise funds, assist with social services in distributing food to the poor. Attended Catholic services at my son's and daughter-in-law's church in Kansas City, Missouri when visiting. I enjoy the priest there, enjoy listening to his services and blend in quite well with their congregation.

I came to Christ from a Gideon New Testament just out of high school in 1972, was baptized in a Christian and Missionary Alliance (CMA) Church in 1976. Through the years have attended military base chapel, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Pentecostal, Catholic and Nazarene services. Been members of Southern Baptist, Assembly of God, CMA, etc.

Been also a mission team member of Christian Motorcyclists Association and The Navigators.

Basically you might say that I am a member of the holy catholic (universal) church of God.

The Revelation of Saint John 21:2-3 (NHEB) wrote:I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready like a bride adorned for her husband. I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, God's dwelling is with people, and he will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them."
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:37 pm

George, committed Catholic I believe. (Not sure how I know that).[/quote]

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus. You have to be a practicing Catholic to join.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:44 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:George, committed Catholic I believe. (Not sure how I know that).
Not quite, currently I'm a Salvationist
I knew that of you George. I was talking about John. Looks like fit90 has confirmed that.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 am

Oldenginerod wrote:I knew that of you George. I was talking about John. Looks like fit90 has confirmed that.
Oh, OK, then my misunderstanding. This is the slight problem that occurs with forums versus actual voice conversations, where it is immediately easy to clarify, obtain immediate context, etc.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sad Very special human

Post  fredvon4 Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:52 am

JOHN'S OBITUARY
U.S. Veteran
John G. Brodak, 81, of Carmichaels, Pa., passed away at 1:58 P.M. on Saturday, April 25, 2020 at Mon-Health Medical Center, Morgantown, W. Va. after a lengthy illness. He was born April 1, 1939 in Fairmont, W. Va., a son of the late Joseph G. and Valeria B. (Batis) Brodak. John attended All Saints Catholic School in Masontown, Pa. and Carmichaels Area Schools. At the age of 13, he began working in his parent's grocery store in Carmichaels. In 1955, he joined the Pennsylvania National Guard and served with Company K of the 110th Infantry. That year, John opened a hobby shop as his first business. In 1958, he was certified as an electrician and also became a disc jockey with the name of "Johnny Lee". In 1959, John went to work as a machinist at the Piatt Machine Shop in Washington, Pa. On October 21, 1960, he married Coral Lee "Buzz" Welsh, who survives.

John opened Brodak Hobby Center in Washington in 1961 and in 1962 took over the Carmichaels grocery store from his parents. That same year, he founded J & G Electric. John was discharged from the Pennsylvania National Guard in 1963 with the rank of Sergeant. He managed the Brodak's Food Center Team in the Big 4 Softball League.

In 1966, John was elected the second youngest president of the Carmichaels Area Chamber of Commerce. He served as president, vice president and a director many times throughout the years. In 1968, John remodeled the Carmichaels food store and enlarged it to 7,000 square feet. That year, he became a member of Cumberland American Legion Post 400. From 1969 until 1972, John served as a Commissioner of the Atlantic Pacific Baseball Association and published a baseball game magazine, the APBA Innings.

Continuing his business career, John opened Brodak Printing Company in 1970 and in 1972 became president of Replay Games, Inc. In 1974, he opened his 10,000 square feet grocery store in Millsboro, Pa. and was honored to receive the Fourth Degree from the John F. Kennedy Memorial Council 3569, Knights of Columbus, Carmichaels.

John was the manager of the Carmichaels Ironmen and won the Replay World Series in 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982-1984, 1986 and 1988.

John built a new 14,000 square feet supermarket in Carmichaels in 1978 and placed first in the IGA Beef Round-Up at the Millsboro Super Dollar.

Even though John spent much of his time as a businessman and community leader and servant, he found time to be an extra in a film made by the BBC, "Two Weeks in Winter".

In 1983, John was appointed a director in the King Coal Association by the Chamber of Commerce and in 1984, opened a 10,000 square feet grocery store in Masontown.

1985 was a busy year for John. While serving his fourth term as president of the Chamber of Commerce, he was elected second vice president of the King Coal Association, enlarged Brodak Printing Company to 3,000 square feet, opened Brodak's Dari-Delite and Brodak's Video Showcase in Millsboro, which were all destroyed in the election day flood. John was able to reopen these businesses within 40 days.

In 1987, John assisted in establishing the Fredericktown Chamber of Commerce and was elected its first president. That year, he purchased Brodak's Mobile Home Village.

In 1988, John remodeled the Carmichaels grocery store to 16,000 square feet and opened Brodaks' Video Showcase and Brodak Hobby Center in Carmichaels. John always had an interest in flying control line airplanes and became an "All Season Flyer".

After opening Brodak's Holiday Travel International Agency in 1989, John was made an honorary member of the Fayette County Vietnam Veterans Association and a lifetime member of the National Aeronautic Association and the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

1990 saw the construction of a 26,000 square feet store in Masontown. John became president of the Flying Circus Flying Club, was appointed to the General Facilities Authority Board and elected treasurer, was appointed director of the Riverfront Development Board, joined the Carmichaels Lions Club and became president of the WKEG radio station in Washington.

In keeping with John's sense of community, he assisted in keeping the Flenniken Library financially stable in 1991. That year, he formed Brodak Manufacturing and Distributing Company, Inc. John published the first Brodak catalog of model airplanes and supplies. That year, he was honored as "Man of the Year" by the Carmichaels Lions Club and appointed to the Greene County Committee for Growth P. A. C. He also opened the new 26,000 square feet grocery store along with Brodak's Video Showcase in Masontown.

As John's interest in model airplanes continued, he attended the National Model Airplane Show in Cleveland, Ohio and was awarded 18 static wins from 1991 to 1995. 1994 saw the remodeling of the Millsboro store to 18,000 square feet. In 1997, John was appointed to the board of directors of the Greene County Industrial Development Authority, which he served for five years. That year, John hosted his first Fly-In in Carmichaels with 36 entries, 77 flights of a two day period. Over the years, this tradition expanded to include hundreds of entries.

In 1999, John expanded the Carmichaels grocery store to 32,000 square feet, purchased BY & O Props and PAMPA Products.

As the years went by, John continued developing and adding to his various businesses in the local area. Prior to his passing, he had planned to open a model airplane museum next to his other establishments in Carmichaels. John's last control line fly-in in June of 2019 brought hundreds of competitors from around the country and the world. To John, it was important that his local community would develop and thrive. He will be greatly missed by his family and his community.

Surviving in addition to his wife, Coral, are three daughters, Melissa "Missy" Curtis (Jeffrey) of Rostraver, Pa., Jacqueline "Jackie" Horvath (Andrew) of Ligonier, Pa. and Claudine "Dena" Ferek of Rices Landing, Pa.; a son, Joseph I. Brodak (Stacey) of Washington; seven grandchildren, Lezlie Thorn (Sam) of Los Angeles, Cal., Lissa Kacsanek (Jeff) of Tucson, Ariz., Jaycee Curtis, Strabane, Pa., Samantha Robinson (Marcus) of Eighty Four, Pa., Jessica Ferek (fiancé, Mo Nahas) of Boston, Mass., Georganna Zeglen (Mati) of Rices Landing and Jonathan Brodak of Washington; six great grandchildren, Ignatius, Sidney, Blaise, Bryer, Axel and Roux and a brother, George J. Brodak of Oakland, Md.

Deceased are a grandson, Jeffrey Alexander Curtis; two brothers, Edward Brodak who died in childhood and Joseph R. Brodak; a niece, Meghan Crawford and a son-in-law, Stan "Stush" Ferek.

In keeping with current CDC guidelines, arrangements are private.

Private interment will take place a Laurel Point Cemetery, Carmichaels.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests that memorial contributions be made to the Humane Society of Greene County, 183 Jefferson Rd, Waynesburg, PA 15370.

A video of the blessing service will be available to view within the online obituary on the funeral home website Wednesday evening.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks for posting that Fred. John was a very busy guy and multi tasking too! WOW, What a life.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum