Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Cox_ba12

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049

Go down

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Empty Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049

Post  pyropupx36 Wed May 06, 2020 11:35 pm

Hello Everyone, I signed up to the forum some time ago but posting my first request for help now. I bought a NIB Tee Dee 049 in the jewel case (circa 1974) some years ago off eBay but only decided to take the engine out and examine it today with hopes of running it. Engine was full of congealed oil and hard to turn over, so I carefully disassembled it and everything can be cleaned up I believe with some acetone and gentle brushing, but the one troubling thing I see is rust on the inside of the cylinder. Can someone advise how to best clean the rust without damaging the cylinder bore?  It is an un-run engine so the bore is without scores or other damage except for the rather extensive coating of rust.

Another helpful tip I could use is how to re-press on the prop driver onto the crankshaft at reassembly time. I pushed the crank nose out with a drill bit in my drill press without trouble but unsure how to do the reverse process.

Thank you all in advance for your help!!

Gary
pyropupx36
pyropupx36

Back to top Go down

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Empty Re: Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049

Post  Jason_WI Wed May 06, 2020 11:55 pm

0000 steel wool rolled in a cylinder and rotated only enough to remove the rust from the bore. If the rust is near the bottom then just insert the steel wool to cover the rusted area and avoid the top of the cylinder. If it’s surface rust you should be fine. If pitted then probably toast.

Use a short hex head 5-40 prop drive screw and an old prop to pull the drive plate back on the crankshaft. Don’t forget the thrust washer. Using the slotted screw your risk slipping off and scratching the engine or perforating your hand.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 am

I could clean light rust off the cylinder once with cotton ear buds drenched in nail polish remover (acetone) .

If you use steel wool or similar, pay attention to what Jason advised: apply circular motion but never push/pull the steel wool along the cylinder axis so that any occasional micro- scratch should occur tangentially and not in longitudinal direction on the cylinder wall. This latter may destroy compression.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Empty hope u dint damage

Post  davidll1984 Thu May 07, 2020 6:53 am

use water wit javel la parisienne bleach rust wil disolve without damage mutch cylinder
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Empty Thanks for the tips

Post  pyropupx36 Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I was able to remove almost all of the rust with the cotton swab and acetone method, and my eyes aren't good enough anymore for me to see if there are any pits or not on the cylinder wall.

Upon reassembling the engine it seems to have very good compression and flips over freely, so the next step is to try running it. I'll report back after I do.

Thanks again.
pyropupx36
pyropupx36

Back to top Go down

Newbie Question - Tee Dee 049 Empty It runs!

Post  pyropupx36 Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Finally got a chance to run it - awesome!  Started in a couple of hand flips and ran steady for an ounce of fuel!  Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. There may be some rust damage in the bore but it still ran great - won't be a racing engine but that's not what I'll use it for anyway. It's probably been literally 48 or 50 years since I last ran a Tee Dee 049 - brought back some very fond memories. Thanks again.
pyropupx36
pyropupx36

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 am

pyropupx36 wrote:Finally got a chance to run it - awesome!  Started in a couple of hand flips and ran steady for an ounce of fuel!  Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. There may be some rust damage in the bore but it still ran great - won't be a racing engine but that's not what I'll use it for anyway. It's probably been literally 48 or 50 years since I last ran a Tee Dee 049 - brought back some very fond memories. Thanks again.

After you run it, don't forget to use after run oil to keep it from gumming back up and rusting.
I use zoom-spout turbine oil. You an get it at Ace Hardware stores (that is where I get mine).
It's a natural oil with no cleaning solutions in it.
Have used it for years to keep my engines in good condition.
Will keep your Tee Dee .049 from rusting and gumming up for years, if/when you put it back in it's case.

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down