Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Well, I finally did it. Cox_ba12

Well, I finally did it. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Well, I finally did it. Empty
Live on Patrol

Well, I finally did it.

Go down

Well, I finally did it. Empty Well, I finally did it.

Post  Oldenginerod Sat May 09, 2020 3:13 am

We all know parting with old "stuff" is pretty hard, but it gets to the point that it needs to be done.  
I had a huge box of balsa memories sitting in my shed I hadn't looked in for 6-7 years, so today was the day.  Not everything went, but the next installment will be easier.
Well, I finally did it. 100_5110
Bunch of old kites as well.  Sad to see my favorite "Hart" stunter falling apart
Well, I finally did it. 100_5112
A couple of stick & tissue rubber models. First one made by my late brother, other one was my attempt at shrinking tissue way too tight. Never flew.
Well, I finally did it. 100_5111
Well, I finally did it. 100_5115
Attempted to build a Benson Gyro 40 years ago.  Yeah, sure!
Well, I finally did it. 100_5113
Peanut scale P-51.  Keeping this one.
Well, I finally did it. 100_5114
Freshly built Brodak Basic Trainer. (well, a few years ago).  Haven't been game to fly it.
Well, I finally did it. 100_5118
Well, I finally did it. 100_5117
This one's not Balsa.  My original childhood (They're all childhood) Testors P-40, currently getting a tidy-up, enough to try a flight.
Well, I finally did it. 100_5116

The ceremonial burning.  Actually felt good.  Might feel different tomorrow.
Well, I finally did it. 100_5120
Well, I finally did it. 100_5121
Well, I finally did it. 100_5119
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Well, I finally did it. Empty Re: Well, I finally did it.

Post  Ken Cook Sat May 09, 2020 6:54 am

I've been doing the same thing aside from burning for months. Doesn't seem like I'm making a dent. I don't even try to save a thing. This stuff will take over like weeds and 10 minutes later you've already forgotten about them. My stuff is fairly large and it still isn't giving me room. I must of had at least a dozen hand launch gliders in various conditions, OUTTA here.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 09, 2020 7:49 am

"Oh the humanity." Reminds me of the Hindenburg going down.

I hate to see that, but I must admit to doing the same thing many years ago only in a Franklin stove. Balsa embers flew up the chimney setting it on fire. Scared the heck out of me. Haven't burned up a plane since.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat May 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Oh NO! Not the Aeroplanes!
They take up so little space.
Now, you have made your offering to the deities of Balsa, you will have many years of good flights and smooth landings!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 pm

All we are is dust in wind!!!!! As are these once wonderful airplanes. The virus is no joke, its starting to take down younger people. (ie young children). Sad Goodbye Old Bugger Airplane Beer Cheers Sad Goodbye Don't let your guard down folks!!! Am I on the correct topic ???? Six sheets and wav'in Bros! Stay safe!! Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat May 09, 2020 6:24 pm

I just keep building more shelving units! Two more today in fact!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 09, 2020 6:30 pm

What is this one Rod?

I have an identical model but I have forgotten what it's called.

Well, I finally did it. Rods_p10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat May 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Don't get me wrong, there's still lots of planes lurking, more than I can ever imagine getting back in the air, but the sacrificial ones were well beyond considering saving- Warped, rotted, smashed.  I only disposed of one control line model- most were old rubber powered versions I built when I was 10-15 years old.  Stick and tissue doesn't age well.  Some may have noticed the Comet model Ercoupe sitting with the box.  Couldn't bear to get rid of that one and will be trying to re-home it.

Bob, the one you asked about is called a Husky, which was a locally produced Aeroflyte kit.  I'm sure the designers back then "borrowed" lots of designs.  The world was a lot bigger back then, and no-one would have found out about patent breaches as  easy as these days.
While the Husky is a wreck I will be keeping it, with the plan to rebuild it in tribute to my late brother who built it over 45 years ago.  I took it over and learn't to fly on it with an Enya .09-III up front.  The yellow & green "Wing" was my first C/L build and I flew the heck out of it with the same Enya.  Also an Aeroflyle kit called "satan". (Pre-salvation- I hate that it's called that now lol!, but I loved flying that thing, even with the electrical tape repairs )
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  daddyo Sun May 10, 2020 1:26 am

Might I suggest you put a load of planes in a box and advertise a non-profit grab bag sale on here at least?  There’s a number of people who enjoy bringing old planes back to life.
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun May 10, 2020 1:39 am

His sacrifice to the balsa gods ensure no figure 9 loops for the rest of you. Smile
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun May 10, 2020 1:58 am

The ceremonial burning.  Actually felt good.  Might feel different tomorrow.

I throw several old rubber powered airplanes into trash several years ago. It is really good.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun May 10, 2020 2:56 am

daddyo wrote:Might I suggest you put a load of planes in a box and advertise a non-profit grab bag sale on here at least?  There’s a number of people who enjoy bringing old planes back to life.

Hey, any of you guys are welcome to what I got. Just gotta get 'em from Australia Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun May 10, 2020 3:44 am

I just realised that the picture of this didn't make it into my original post.
Oldenginerod wrote:The yellow & green "Wing" was my first C/L build and I flew the heck out of it with the same Enya.  Also an Aeroflyle kit called "satan". (Pre-salvation- I hate that it's called that now lol!, but I loved flying that thing, even with the electrical tape repairs )
Well, I finally did it. 100_5122
Here's a couple of pages showing part of the Aeroflyte catalogue.  You might note that it shows not only the Satan, but also the Husky which Bob asked about.
Well, I finally did it. Screen12
Well, I finally did it. Screen13

Just an update on my Testors P-40.  Took a shot at it today.  Replaced a few parts that I had spares for from a purchase of a wrecked model a few years ago.  Soaked the twisted tail (not a "Twisted Tale") in boiling water to try to straighten it- needs a little more work.  Engine was locked solid, so in the interest of time, I installed a spare that I had.  Fresh batteries and fuel but couldn't get it to do more that blip.  Fitted a larger prop which was a little better, but still no run.  Closer examination revealed very little compression, so I swapped it again for an engine which looked and felt like new- gobbs of compression.  So much so that I could only get it to bounce back & forth off compression.  Eventually though, it cleared its throat enough to offer a little more hope.  Finally, success.  Refitted the original little 3 blade prop and she was off.  3cc total fuel tank capacity- approx. 35 seconds run time.  Once the needle was set I just had to refuel, power up and first flick each time.  Original lines are only 12'.  Plenty of room on my asphalt driveway for a R.O.G. launch, if the fuel lasts long enough for it to get off the ground. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 10, 2020 7:31 am

Well i hate to see them planes burnt up BUT if that is what it takes to get you going so bee it Very Happy I don't think i have seen/heard of you fling a plane since i have been on here Huh... I sure hope you can get a video of it or at least some pics. Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon May 11, 2020 9:49 pm

getback wrote:Well i hate to see them planes burnt up BUT if that is what it takes to get you going so bee it Very Happy I don't think i have seen/heard of you fling a plane since i have been on here Huh... I sure hope you can get a video of it or at least some pics. Thumbs Up

I didn't burn them up for fun Eric. I kept plenty that still have sentimental attachment. The ones that went were really beyond help, even by Bob's standards. They meant nothing to anyone but me. I hope to get a couple of what's left flying again.

The Lock-Down has meant that my workload has slowed just enough for me to realize that taking it a little easier has its advantages. While I'm a way off retirement, the body's telling me to stop & smell the roses a little more often. As my own boss, I can call the shots. My customers have been calling the shots for too many years.

As for flying, I think I've flown only about once since I've been in this group. I started back in the hobby with 049 collector's group well before I came to the Cox forum. I've probably only had 3-4 outings in total since my 35 year break from the hobby. It will happen Eric. For now I need to stick with small slow planes so I can fly on my own property. Any more than 30' lines and I need to find a bigger field, which isn't easy as the local civic council have banned everything that's any fun on public land. C/L clubs are few and far between out here. But it will happen!!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 11, 2020 10:27 pm

Rod,

A proper clean out is good for the soul. I have sent several planes to the fire pit. There gets to be a point where you realize it’s never going to be used and it’s in the way.

No worries brother.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 12, 2020 7:19 am

Cool , Rod I am glad you are seeing some slow down time and i know how it can bee working at home can bee stressful if you let it !! Looking forward to you having some FUN !! Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 am

I like those old combat planes with lots of battle scars. The final crash and burn.
Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down