Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Strap wrench! Cox_ba12

Strap wrench! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Strap wrench! Empty
Live on Patrol

Strap wrench!

Go down

Strap wrench! Empty Strap wrench!

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Both my .15's were thouroughly "gummed" I decided while waiting for the propee wrenches that I would go ahead and free the cylinders NV etc.

I think it was John G's suggestion to use a strap wrench on stubborn cylinders so I heated the cylinders carefully with some propane clamped the case in my vice between some thick shop rags and with a little effort they slowly spun off. Zero damage.

Just a testimony that it does work.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Strap wrench! Empty Re: Strap wrench!

Post  roddie Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 pm

I bought one today.. smallest I could find. The handle is 7"L. and the webbed-strap is 5/8" W.

Strap wrench! Strap-10

I paid $11 dollars for it at my local Leeway/True-Value hardware dealer.. but when later checking Google/Amazon; they're available for a dollar or two less.  

What I particularly like about this one, is that the strap simply wraps around a steel pin that fits into a recess in the metal-handle.. and can easily be replaced once worn-out.. or swapped-out for possibly another type of material such as leather or rubber.

My general purpose will be for the removal of Cox engine cylinders from the crankcase, that do not have flats milled into the top for a spanner... or for that same-type cylinder that inevitably unscrews from the case while trying to change a glow-head.. but I'm sure it will be handy for other things. It has a capacity of 2" maximum diameter.. dictated by its small jaw-radius.

Ken Cook had mentioned finding small strap-wrenches, frequently left-behind on the job by plumbers. I shopped a plumbing-supply outlet today.. but the owner knew nothing of these. I thought that maybe the ones that Ken spoke of may have been a plastic-handled/disposable type.. since he said that they were commonly discarded. The one I bought isn't something that would be discarded. It's very well made.. and will likely last for decades.. if not longer.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm

I need one of those for getting the caps off of screw top Cokes.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 pm

I have a Baby BOA rubber strap wrench.  
Strap wrench! S-l16010
While it's handy, it isn't robust enough to grip a really tight cylinder.  I think Roddie's looks a lot stronger.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:I have a Baby BOA rubber strap wrench.  
Strap wrench! S-l16010
While it's handy, it isn't robust enough to grip a really tight cylinder.  I think Roddie's looks a lot stronger.

The webbing on mine is really stiff.. which makes me wonder if it will hinder working on small parts.. we'll see. I may try to find some roached-out upholstery-leather and cut a 5/8" width strip to the length of the webbing.. (approx. 12"L.) It may be more pliable and easier to work with.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Good Heavens Roddie!

Where did you find this antique of a thread?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Good Heavens Roddie!

Where did you find this antique of a thread?

Ha Ha! Yes.. I was surprised at the date when I got the search results. I try to make an effort of searching applicable criteria, rather than creating a new thread. Usually it's with holidays (if I'm the first poster..) and sometimes birthdays. It's my way of recycling.. Laughing

I was psyched when your thread came up in the search. I used the "inside" (default) search option.. rather than the Google option. I was also happy to be the first to reply in 5-6 years.. Shocked

If you study the strap-wrench designs out there; "making one" for gripping a Cox engine cylinder shouldn't be very difficult. As small as the one I bought is.. it still may prove cumbersome to use. All that's really needed is a strap.. and a small hardwood handle with a radius-jaw cut-into one end.. with a center-hole drilled through the jaw, big enough for both strap-ends to pass through. Bind one-end of the strap to the handle with the other end free to adjust the loop-size to the circumference of what needs to be turned. The straps' free-end is gripped with the handle and the "pinch" inside the jaw-hole will provide the needed grip. If I ever try to make my own.. I'll post the details here.

These instructions that came with my strap-wrench will provide a visual of the concept.

Strap wrench! Strap-11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 pm

I would be interested in having one of those that would work on the smaller .020 and .010 cylinders as well. I ruined an .010 cylinder a few years back trying to remove it with a Cox wrench. Now I'm hesitant to tear them down for a piston reset. This might be the ticket.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Tee Bee wrote:I would be interested in having one of those that would work on the smaller .020 and .010 cylinders as well.  I ruined an .010 cylinder a few years back trying to remove it with a Cox wrench.  Now I'm hesitant to tear them down for a piston reset.  This might be the ticket.  

Hi Troy, Very sorry to hear about the .010 cylinder. You know; some of the best tools for our model engines come out of good old home-grown ingenuity. I'm almost willing to bet that you could make a micro strap-wrench for a Tee Dee .010 cylinder by using one half of a spring-type wooden cloths-pin and a shoelace.

Strap wrench! Micro_10

Laughing... a leather lace would probably grip better.. or cutting a strip of thin rubber to wrap around the cylinder-fins for a tighter grip. It only took 10 minutes to make.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Nice, Roddie. Have you tested it yet?
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Tee Bee wrote:Nice, Roddie.  Have you tested it yet?

I did actually.. and it wont turn a freshly tightened cylinder on an .049 using the cloth shoestring.. but it does grip the cylinder as designed. I don't have any smaller engines to try. A different strap-material like leather.. may work. The "concept" is worth some experimentation I think. Nothing ventured.. nothing gained.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Just bought one on ebay called mini boa constrictor, mounted with rubber strap...does not move the Cox cylinder on any of my 010....09 engines. It slips no matter if the cylinder is decreased...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:I have a Baby BOA rubber strap wrench.  
Strap wrench! S-l16010

You should have read back to my previous post.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:38 pm

I just use an old genuine leather belt that I wrap around the cylinder 2 times and use a flex joint pliers to get the stubborn cylinders without a wrench cutout milled on the top. Haven't damaged a cylinder yet with this method.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Jason_WI wrote:I just use an old genuine leather belt that I wrap around the cylinder 2 times and use a flex joint pliers to get the stubborn cylinders without a wrench cutout milled on the top. Haven't damaged a cylinder yet with this method.

I think that the "leather" may be the key. A strap-wrench equipped with a leather-strap is worth giving a try. Save an old retired leather wallet.. I have a few of them that I've cut-up for "sling-shot" slings. I don't like the idea of "squeezing" the cylinder from opposing sides with pliers.. even if the jaws/cylinder are padded. The strap-wrench "twists".. while compressing.. rather than just gripping like pliers would. As it's been mentioned; don't be afraid to apply a little heat to the cylinder beforehand..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum