Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Cox_ba12

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 8:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 4:59 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 4:15 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 6:47 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 3:59 pm

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 1:46 pm

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 2:28 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Loose Connecting Rod .049

Go down

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Empty Loose Connecting Rod .049

Post  Iceberg Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Can someone please comment on this. I have several older pistons that have loose con rod slightly at TDC they slightly move. We all know what I'm talking about right?

I don't have my con rod tool here it is stranded as I am in lockdown in another location. I have been told you can tighten the ball by carefully tapping with a flat screw driver on all four extremities?? Does anyone have experience doing that? If so can they please explain any do's and don'ts for that procedure? Would help to get a few motors off the ground instead of decorating a box because con rod too loose.
RC Plane  RC Plane  Babe Bee .049  Mad

Thanks
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Empty Re: Loose Connecting Rod .049

Post  balogh Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Darren given the reset tool costs the same as a new 049 piston I would rather order one than experiment with make-shift tools. Even with the dedicated tool it is easy to mushroom a piston let alone a screwdriver that puts asymmetric pressure on the joint cup when tapping on it..just my humble advice..

https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-piston-reset-tool.html

I think Bernie ships to Thailand these days. I got my envelop from him in Hungary in 2 weeks instead of the normal, pre-Covid 9 days.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Thanks Andras
Just someone had told me doable.

Hoped to fix soon.

I'll see about ordering.

Darren
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:11 am

Iceberg wrote:... loose con rod slightly at TDC they slightly move...
Hey, Ice.
Depending on your perception of "slightly," it may be okay to just use them. The only time I have seen what I considered excessive slop is pretty soon after a new one breaks in, and even then, after using the tool, all of the play shouldn't be completely eliminated.

After a time, the retaining cup becomes work hardened, making it difficult to tighten up any more. That's when it takes too much impact to tighten without mushrooming the crown. Unless you think it's in real danger of pounding the ball through the top, I would opt to leave it alone. After the first post break-in reset, I've had bad luck trying to tighten older ones.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:18 am

Hi Rusty

Normally I have done that too just leave it alone however now that I'm getting to the bottom of all possible parts that MIGHT work some are pretty...... UGLY. One I was attempting to use last night was pretty sloppy. Seemed in need of a tighten. A super skilled rebuilder a few years ago said you can tighten with a screwdriver with the right style so I thought maybe the experience might have the simple ABC of doing it with a screwdriver. However might not be the case.

My .15 has a wrist pin wow what an improvement over the pressed ball socket. Too bad they all don't have that and even a ball bearing on the crankpin. Or at least a press in sleeve.

Anyhow thank you very much!
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Empty Help

Post  happydad Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:25 am

Iceberg wrote:Hi Rusty

Normally I have done that too just leave it alone however now that I'm getting to the bottom of all possible parts that MIGHT work some are pretty...... UGLY. One I was attempting to use last night was pretty sloppy. Seemed in need of a tighten. A super skilled rebuilder a few years ago said you can tighten with a screwdriver with the right style so I thought maybe the experience might have the simple ABC of doing it with a screwdriver. However might not be the case.

My .15 has a wrist pin wow what an improvement over the pressed ball socket. Too bad they all don't have that and even a ball bearing on the crankpin. Or at least a press in sleeve.

Anyhow thank you very much!
Ice

Iceberg: I'm having the same problem with my new Cox .010. The piston con-rod is really loose in the piston. Due to the high cost of the .010 I hesitate to try anything I would normally try on an old .049 engine if I didn't have the con-rod piston resetting tool.
   My friend in New Zealand made a tool for my Atwood .049 engines for me, but that doesn't help me here.  

Does anyone with a Cox .010 reset tool live near Southern California? 92027? I would be willing to send my piston, and cylinder, to you and pay postage both ways and some fee if you would try to reset my piston. I say try because I know it doesn't work 100% of the time.

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Image210
my new Cox .010

please PM me.
    DesperateUnHappyDad RC Plane Huh...
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:49 am

Happydad I am not an agent of Bernie but buying the tool from COX International in Canada may be cheaper and quicker solution - let alone the fact you will have your own tool - than sending your piston to someone and pay return postage...

https://coxengines.ca/cox-.010-piston-reset-tool.html
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:10 pm

I certainly wouldn't be trying any means of tightening the rod other than using the correct tool. Your screwdriver trick makes me cringe. Mad Running an engine with a little slop will do far less damage that the screwdriver. Even if undamaged, I can't see how it could be effective.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:32 pm

I made my own reset tool from drill rod/tool steel. Just used a spot drill to give a 90 degree countersink, with a hole a bit bigger than the rod and cut a slot for the rod on the side.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm

dont try to punch wit flat screwdriver y get 1 wit that method not so good after if use right tool now bal soket in piston is deform piston wil not spin on conrod like it use to. now al 4 punch mark on both part size piston litle and very hard to set corect polishing inside bal soket is a pain it nead corect tool is posible to convert right screwdriver wit round tip for very litle nut inside nead modification plus slot for con rod don try if not confortable wit machinist tool just buy corect tool save engine life non corect reset can damage lower part of conectingrod and crank pin to. bad stuf u dont want to hapen Sad
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 pm

not sur is mabe bether screwdriver is wat y tink can workLoose Connecting Rod .049 Image186
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:44 pm

that 1 fit inside .020 piston y dont want to atempt my self modify tool to risky tink Huh... can end very bad Doh! Mad
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Well as usual have received some great suggestions. I have NEVER used a screwdriver to fix a ball. However an ace rebuilder who is unavailable at the moment told me he can do it. Well likley he can but after all the comments will not try with anything but the right tool.

Many Thanks!
Keep Flying
Ice RC Plane RC Plane RC Plane
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Loose Connecting Rod .049 Empty RE: Loose connecting rod .049

Post  66 Malibu Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 pm

Happy Dad,
If you haven't already, I would take Balogh's advice and buy an .010 reset tool from Bernie or Matt for around $12.95.
I have one that, if Atlanta was near Escondido, I'd drive over and lend it to you !!! I love your part of Southern California!!!!
Otherwise you stand a 50/50 chance of USPS "can't find It" syndrome ( my experience) with a very hard to find and expensive small part.
My age and pedigree may be near yours and I understand the need to save where you can.
Peace of mind with these little gems is well worth the money..
Steve..
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:52 am

If you are not going to run the engine I wouldn't even mess with resetting the piston. Out of my small collection of .010's I reset the .010 traveling engine before it left. Possibly one or two others but that's it. The rest are just cleaned up with new plastic tanks and carb bodies.

99.9% of .010 engines ever made are shelf queens and more than likely the person you sell it to it will be a shelf queen for them as well.

The piston/cylinder sets are unobtamnium for the .010 engine. One bad strike with the reset tool and its all over with.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Jason_WI wrote:If you are not going to run the engine I wouldn't even mess with resetting the piston. Out of my small collection of .010's I reset the .010 traveling engine before it left. Possibly one or two others but that's it. The rest are just cleaned up with new plastic tanks and carb bodies.

99.9% of .010 engines ever made are shelf queens and more than likely the person you sell it to it will be a shelf queen for them as well.

The piston/cylinder sets are unobtamnium for the .010 engine. One bad strike with the reset tool and its all over with.

Thanks for the advice. I always clean and run any engine I resell. Always. I may try to make a reset tool, but how do you keep the piston head from mushrooming? That is my biggest fear.

Happydad RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm

aspeed wrote:I made my own reset tool from drill rod/tool steel.  Just used a spot drill to give a 90 degree countersink, with a hole a bit bigger than the rod and cut a slot for the rod on the side.

I actually made a reset tool for wenmac-Atwood .049 engines and it worked. Later a friend in New Zealand made me the proper set with the piece that holds the piston head. He has gone to the big flying field in the sky now. I guess, since he hasn’t answered email in more than 5 years.

Thanks for the advice.

Happydad RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:55 pm

I’ve reset plenty of ball sockets from .010-.15 and have yet to damage a piston. As long as the tool is used correctly nothing should happen apart from a proper reset. Another thing to consider is using a proper surface for the anvil and what size hammer you use.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:57 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I’ve reset plenty of ball sockets from .010-.15 and have yet to damage a piston.  As long as the tool is used correctly nothing should happen apart from a proper reset. Another thing to consider is using a proper surface for the anvil and what size hammer you use.

I agree.  Check your PM box from me.

Happydad

Ended up ordering the .010 reset tool and other parts from Matt. He was out of the .020 reset tool.  Thanks for all the advice. I don’t get too much time to work on my toys any more. Too many things around the house have been leaking or breaking.

Happydad RC Plane Very Happy Jeep

Last edited by happydad on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:08 pm

I use any handy machined surface as an anvil. The ways of my lathe is very flat, and a couple vises have a nice flat machined surface.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down