Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Cox_ba12

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Empty Re: This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food

Post  smooth_bill Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Dave,

That looks tasty!,

What kind of sausage?

Bill

Living with my daughter and her family, while the communist virus runs wild!
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Empty Re: This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food

Post  Daligh Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:01 am

smooth_bill wrote:Dave,

That looks tasty!,

What kind of sausage?

Bill

Living with my daughter and her family, while the communist virus runs wild!

Hi Bill.

The sausages were basic 80% pork. Standard type made by thousands of butchers through out the British Isles and Ireland. I tried some and they were fine, but at the Museum it has to be the giant plate of 'Fish and Chips' for me.

(Because I love Fish and Chips, and they are rare food in Eire, I have been known to visit the UK and have Fish and Chips for every evening meal. Usually eating from the paper wrappings whilst sitting outside or in the car if the weather is bad. We always make sure that we holiday where there is a Fish and Chip shop.)

There are beef sausages sometimes and special types such as Cumberland, which are my favourites. When Elaine shops over the border in Enniskillen she always brings me Cumberlands from Marks & Spencer.

'Bangers n' Mash' is real cheap English fare. Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren sang a song about it.

The peas are wrong though. They should be 'Mushy".

Is it communist? Strikes me that have embraced capitalism with relish!
Anyways-up. It would appear, from the latest research, that the so called 'Spanish Flu', of 1917 to 1921, originated in the US!? Laughing

Great that you can stay with your daughter and family. My daughter is in Bahrain and I wish she was here with us. Elaine and I are lucky as we have a couple of acres in the 'Middle of Nowhere' and have lots to do. I don't want to go out anyway and have only been past the end of the drive half a dozen times this year and three of those trips were to the hospital when I broke my left fibula!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0510
This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0511
Daligh
Daligh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:01 am

Daligh wrote:Proper British pub food: Sausage n' Mash. This one has loads of superb onion gravy.

This is again at the Museum Pub in Sheffield.
Our great nice Charlotte now only eats Sausage n' Mash. Which is great news because up to a couple of years ago she would only eat McDonalds' Chicken Nuggets when we took her out. We once tried them but, never, never again!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0313
That looks good only 14 hrs. flight time away? // Did no chickens had nuggets lol! (NASTY) ~~!!!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Daligh Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Elaine went to Enniskillen yesterday to collect my pre-ordered ale only to find out that some of whet I ordered was out of stock. So I ended up with beer I would not usually drink!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0815
The Headless Dog replaced Tim Taylor's Landlord. Nothing like the relating but acceptable. It's a Northern Ireland brew.
The Banks's replaced Bass No.1! nothing like the same brew. Bass is a superb ale whilst Banks's is a beer from Wolverhampton which, back in the day, we would avoid like the plague! Naff!
Black Sheep Ale is really good. It's brewed by a son of the Marston's family who opened his own brewery to compete with the family brewery. Hence: 'Black Sheep' of the family.

Elaine did bring me some M&S Cumberland sausage.

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0816

My son was in Devon last week and had Fish n' Chips in the Fox & Hounds in Maiden Newtown. He said it was nice, but how can you have Fish n' Chips with 'bullet' peas? They should always be served with 'Mushys"!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 20200710
Daligh
Daligh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:48 pm

Looks tasty, all but for The Vegetables Of Satan(green peas)Gag Pebbles. Can't stand them. Feed them to the dog under the table. There could be a worldwide blight that would wipe them all out,,and I would throw a party. Ironically, and much to my dismay, I haul them in 30 foot plastic totes during the summer harvest to be processed. Amazing how the harvester takes the pea bushel plants right into the front of the harvester, separates all the duff and pods,,and only kicks out the clean stripped peas by themselves.

Out of the frying pan and into the coals!. Makes me want to yank the wheel at speed and go for a ride(roll over).
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:24 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Looks tasty, all but for The Vegetables Of Satan(green peas)Gag Pebbles.

Maybe we have tastier peas here in AU than others, but they're one of my favourites.  Beautiful, sweet, fruity.  Mushy or not, cooked or raw, thay're all good to me.  Mushy peas are only really common here in what they call a "pie floater".  
This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 South-10

Yumm!!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:31 pm

You guys are killin' me. I'm not a cook and my wife wasn't one either.

But my Mother was. She could make most anything but what sticks in my mind were sweet rolls filled with brown sugar laid on a bed of the same. Also soft molasses cookies.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Looks tasty, all but for The Vegetables Of Satan(green peas)Gag Pebbles.  Can't stand them.   Feed them to the dog under the table. There could be a worldwide blight that would wipe them all out,,and I would throw a party.  Ironically, and much to my dismay,  I haul them in 30 foot plastic totes during the summer harvest to be processed.  Amazing how the harvester takes the pea bushel plants right into the front of the harvester, separates all the duff and pods,,and only kicks out the clean stripped peas by themselves.

Out of the frying pan and into the coals!.  Makes me want to yank the wheel at speed and go for a ride(roll over).

Man! You really don’t like peas. That’s some serious hatred Very Happy I love peas, mushy or not.

Good to see you back on here!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:21 am

PV Pilot wrote:Looks tasty, all but for The Vegetables Of Satan(green peas)Gag Pebbles. Can't stand them. Feed them to the dog under the table. There could be a worldwide blight that would wipe them all out, and I would throw a party.

Sometimes there's more going on than meets the eyes, could be you have an allergy or are food intolerant. Could be something in the pea, may be phytic acid that makes you feel an aversion to them.

This is why we soak dry beans overnight, pour out and rinse a couple times before refilling with water to cook. Soaking leaches out the phytic acid. May be the fresh peas newly cooked have sufficient acid in them to give an unpleasant feeling when eating them.

Can't say that is your specific problem / health issue. If you have problems with other legumes, may be a clue. Regarding phytic acid, I've heard that tomatoes are high in it too from what I understand, along with peppers.

Speaking of unpleasantness, I didn't know I was dairy milk intolerant. I don't get diarrhea like some, but found only recently that milk makes me constipated, why I don't indulge in ice cream except once in a while. Explains why when a child and beyond, I seemed to always have a problem with chronic constipation. I was almost always having breakfast cereal nearly every morning with cow's milk, or drink a glass of cow's milk with a meal.

Also allergic to all grasses, found wheat a grass, feel better if I stay off the wheat. By doing so, I no longer have the deep migraine headaches during winter juniper pollen season that I used to get. Imbibing in wheat acts like an allergy amplifier. When off it for a long time, I crave for it like a drunk.

So, just saying that there may be more to your aversion to peas than simply a dislike. Popcorn
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Daligh Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:41 am

Well Folks.
It looks like peas are an important part of this thread!

Personally the only pea products I don't like are the canned verity so called, 'Garden Peas'. (ordinary peas just canned in water)
Besides tasting naff, I have an aversion due to the fact that I practically grew up on them! My da was a labourer in the 'Derbyshire Canners' factory and I can remember, as a kid, visiting him there. He was dressed in a heavy rubber apron and gloves, and swinging a 25 gallon steel sieve around on a hoist. They were usually filled with boiled peas, carrots or potatoes, from Lincolnshire. Of course, some of the cans got dented and were available cheap so, being very poor, we ate lots!

Back in the day at the village fair there would always be a Mushy Pea stall that, for a few pennies, only sold small bowls of Mushies with Mint Sauce. (Chopped Mint in Brown Malt Vinegar (i.e Fish n' Chips type vinegar))

Fresh or Mushy is the way for us.
Mushy with Fish, Beef, Meat Pies and Sausages.
Fresh with Chicken, Lamb and Pork.

The tinned ones are for when we forget to steep the dried peas overnight!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0817
This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0818

What a sacrilege Rob putting red goo on a Pie Floater! Laughing
Pies should float on thick Beef Gravy and if possible be accompanied with a Cornish Pasty as well as the Mushies.

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 718ca610

Mind you I have even heard of people who put red goo on Fish!!! And people who have Baked Beans with Fish Fingers!!!

Without doubt the best Fish Fingers I have ever tasted! Not easy to get hold of as they usually sell quickly. This is the first time in months that Elaine has found some on her trips to Enniskillen.
Who would dream of spoiling these with goo?!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0819

Forgot to post an image of the stash yesterday!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Beer810
Daligh
Daligh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  smooth_bill Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Dave,

All that delightful food and drink are enough to make me drool!

Never appreciated beans and peas until I moved to the farm with my Grandfather at age 6. He had a large garden behind the barn that was well along, so I would grab a salt shaker and spend some time snacking on fresh picked peas, string beans, tomatoes, strawberries and other goodies between meals. To this day I avoided what we called butter or lima beans, as I didn't like the taste raw or cooked. Then when my Grandmother came to join us and made her butter beans and ham hock dish, I changed my opinion of butter beans!

Grandmother was one of those gifted individuals who never used a cookbook, a measure, or a timer while cooking. It was a handful of this, a dash of that, or a pinch of salt, etc, and the results were always perfect, and delicious. Her fried chicken dinners where a family tradition, and as soon as I was old enough to wield a hatchet, I was tasked with killing the chickens, plucking the feathers, and cutting the pieces for breading, before they were deep fried in shortening (Crisco). Not only mouth watering when hot, but just as delicious cold left overs from the fridge during the following days!

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Daligh wrote:What a sacrilege Rob putting red goo on a Pie Floater! Laughing

Aussies are known for putting "red goo" (tomato sauce) on everything.  Not something I necessarily subscribe to.  The picture I posted was not mine.  I've always thought it should be sauce or gravy, not both.

I accidentally put sauce on a chicken & veggie pie my wife served up unannounced.  I thought it was a meat (beef) pie.  Yuk! Many also put vinegar (or tomato sauce) on their chips.  I'm not big on that one either.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:15 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:Looks tasty, all but for The Vegetables Of Satan(green peas)Gag Pebbles.  Can't stand them.   Feed them to the dog under the table. There could be a worldwide blight that would wipe them all out,,and I would throw a party.  Ironically, and much to my dismay,  I haul them in 30 foot plastic totes during the summer harvest to be processed.  Amazing how the harvester takes the pea bushel plants right into the front of the harvester, separates all the duff and pods,,and only kicks out the clean stripped peas by themselves.

Out of the frying pan and into the coals!.  Makes me want to yank the wheel at speed and go for a ride(roll over).

Man! You really don’t like peas. That’s some serious hatred Very Happy  I love peas, mushy or not.

Good to see you back on here!

Hey Ron. Superdave still around?. Indra??
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:53 am

Hey PV Pilot , unfortunately SD is not with us as of couple years ago https://www.coxengineforum.com/u68 As of mushy Peas don't think i could choke them ,, i cook mine to tender and thats it , Would like to try some of those cumberland sausages for sure Love some pork!! Very Happy Not much on gravy other than Red eye Wink
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:22 am

getback wrote:Hey PV Pilot , unfortunately SD is not with us as of couple years ago https://www.coxengineforum.com/u68  As of mushy Peas don't think i could choke them ,, i cook mine to tender and thats it , Would like to try some of those cumberland sausages for sure Love some pork!! Very Happy Not much on gravy other than Red eye Wink

What a bummer. A Top Notch fella. Thank you.

I guess I was a vomit-er when I was a babe. Maybe Gerber with there ultra puree pea mush did it. Maybe mom didn't enjoy the results of that test. Regardless, I cant get them down, even this late in the game. A HUGE teasing point at Thanksgiving. You love em,,and hate em, all at the same table.

Thanks for letting me hijack for a couple posts fellas. Continue on. Some good looking bits to eat.

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Daligh Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Apoligies for the typo ROD!

In the Uk you will often see a small sign in the front window of Pubs offering 'PUKKA' pies.

There is not a lot of meat in them but they taste nice!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0822

Although red goo is frowned upon, a small dash of relish is usually acceptable if the gravy is somewhat bland. The usual one, in t' North, is Henderson's Yorkshire Relish. Through out most of England Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is not uncommon!

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0823

Last edited by Daligh on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Daligh
Daligh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:34 pm

getback wrote:Hey PV Pilot , unfortunately SD is not with us as of couple years ago https://www.coxengineforum.com/u68

Really didn't know Super Dave that well. Here's his last post of 6 years ago:

Cox Engine Forum: Signing Off and Out

SuperDave on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 am wrote:Off to other things. It's been a good ride but it's time to depart after so many years. GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!! SuperDave

Daligh wrote:Although red goo is frowned upon, a small dash of relish is usually acceptable if the gravy is somewhat bland. The usual one, in t' North, is Henderson's Yorkshire Relish. Through out most of England Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is not uncommon!

I like to put Shoyu (Japanese soy sauce) on rice and meat, although this is not kosher with the Japanese community. It's like others putting ketchup on baked potato and steak. tongue Laughing
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Daligh Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 am

I like to put Shoyu (Japanese soy sauce) on rice and meat, although this is not kosher with the Japanese community. It's like others putting ketchup on baked potato and steak. tongue Laughing

I put Shoyu in with Koka chicken noodles as they boil. I also add: a pinch of crushed red chillis, sesame oil and black pepper. Then I throw in: fired potatoes, fried mushrooms and fried tomatoes. Should only be eaten with genuine Japanese bamboo chop sticks!Laughing
Must have run out of tomatoes when I made this!?

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0824

I have spent years waiting for genuine Japanese soy sauce to be available over here. I first tasted the real thing in a Japanese restaurant located in, of all places, China, back in the 1990s. Since then I have tried lots of 'brewed under licence' stuff and, like 'b.u.l.' beer it tastes nothing like the real thing.

Fortunately, Clearspring started to import loads of genuine Japanese foodstuffs to the UK and a local Sligo shop stocks most of their products.

Their Shoyu is superb! The Tamari is double strength and a bit too strong for my taste. The Kikkoman is 'b.u.l.' in Holland and is so weak as to be almost tasteless in comparison.

This evening's Ale + Night Cap Whiskies + Pub Food - Page 3 Img_0825
Daligh
Daligh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:30 am

Daligh wrote:Apoligies for the typo ROD!
Don't let it worry you Dave. I reckon I get called Rob as much as I do Rod. There are certain people that not matter how many hints you drop, they still get it wrong, so I'm now resigned to answering to either.

Interesting about the "Pukka"pie. I wonder what the origins are?

Mention Pukka around these parts and everyone will think you're talking about our local Victorian main Army training base.
Located in a remote area called Puckapunyal. Everyone simply refers to it as "Pukka".

Regarding "red goo", I will admit that my preference is for tomato Chutney rather than sauce. I generall buy it from the local farmer's markets, which is generally much (naturally) tastier than the store-bought variety. I find your reference to "relish" intriguing. Out here, Relish is pretty much the same as Chutney. Nothing like Worcestershire Sauce.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:02 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
Daligh wrote:Apoligies for the typo ROD!
Don't let it worry you Dave.  I reckon I get called Rob as much as I do Rod.  There are certain people that not matter how many hints you drop, they still get it wrong, so I'm now resigned to answering to either.

Ya, oldenginerob/ron  Smile

Some people just don't understand mechanics..... Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3