Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Cox_ba12





Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2022
cmulder's

"Throttle and muffler contraption"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Empty
Live on Patrol


Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Go down

Help! Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  happydad Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:26 am

All: does anyone know how to install a new screen on the back of the .049 backplate properly. It seems to be too large? Is there a tool to put it in? what? How do you crimp it?

Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Img_0631
How to crimp the screen into the round plastic tube?


happydad  RC Plane   United States    Old Bugger Jeep
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 77
Location : Escondido, CA

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  daddyo Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:30 am

Not having ever done it, but could pressing it in with a pencil eraser head work?
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 139
Join date : 2012-11-26
Age : 55
Location : California

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  balogh Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 am

I  formed a dome of it by pressing the screen with the blunt end if a ballpoint pen against the palm of my hand, then with its dome side out, shoved it in the venturi with the help of a silicon fuel tube. With some slight extra pressure I forced the dome to flatten and its periphery got stuck to the inside wall of the venturi.

If done properly, it will not rob performance from the engine with that Killer Bee backplate.

Later when I thought a smaller obstruction of the air intake cross section would do some good to the engine, I got hold of a sheet of stainless steel screen with the same mesh size, and cut out a piece of it then pulled it on the venturi like a cap, fixing it with an O-ring wound around the black sealing of the needle valve, strapping it over the cap and finally hooking it to the fuel nipple....sorry, no photo and I am not at home, but will post a photo once at home later today.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2020 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 4132
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 64
Location : Budapest Hungary

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  Iceberg Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:32 am

Hi Balogh
I usually press partially in with the round end of a pen or eraser as suggested. The when bent slightly I then remove and flip the screen over. Then feed carefully in and the ends go into the circle slot and push it in flat with the eraser or other suitable device. Does that make sense. Partially bend then FLIP OVER and feed the other way.

Thanks
Iceberg
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 354
Join date : 2018-11-03
Location : Bangkapi Thailand

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  sosam117 Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:40 pm

Iceberg wrote:Hi Balogh
I usually press partially in with the round end of a pen or eraser as suggested. The when bent slightly I then remove and flip the screen over. Then feed carefully in and the ends go into the circle slot and push it in flat with the eraser or other suitable device. Does that make sense. Partially bend then FLIP OVER and feed the other way.

Thanks
Iceberg

I have done it a simple way.
I use a 3/16 wooden dowel rounded on the one end (ball shaped) and flat (squared) on the other end.
I bend (shape) the screen slightly over the rounded end. Insert the screen into the back plate, (convex / curved side up),
then when it is inserted into the back plate, I turn the 3/16 dowel around and use the flat end of the dowel
to seat (straighten) the screen out into the back plate.

I have not yet (over the years) lost a screen out of a back plate doing this.

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 850
Join date : 2016-03-23
Location : Suburb of Chicago, Illinois

Back to top Go down

Help! Sounds like a winner

Post  happydad Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:50 pm

sosam117 wrote:
Iceberg wrote:Hi Balogh
I usually press partially in with the round end of a pen or eraser as suggested. The when bent slightly I then remove and flip the screen over. Then feed carefully in and the ends go into the circle slot and push it in flat with the eraser or other suitable device. Does that make sense. Partially bend then FLIP OVER and feed the other way.

Thanks
Iceberg

I have done it a simple way.
I use a 3/16 wooden dowel rounded on the one end (ball shaped) and flat (squared) on the other end.
I bend (shape) the screen slightly over the rounded end. Insert the screen into the back plate, (convex / curved side up),
then when it is inserted into the back plate, I turn the 3/16 dowel around and use the flat end of the dowel
to seat (straighten) the screen out into the back plate.

I have not yet (over the years) lost a screen out of a back plate doing this.

sosam117

Thanks for all the help guys. Today I will try it.

Happydad RC Plane United States Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 77
Location : Escondido, CA

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  balogh Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:03 pm

As written in my post this morning, I used the circular screens bought from Bernie for some time, the way I described it, then in hopes of a somewhat less choking and thus increased engine performance, I swapped them to an externally applied, similar mesh sized screen :

Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Killer10


There is no noticeable effect of any of the screens on the engine performance, but given the rough terrain where I fly the chances of any dirt getting into the venturi are efficiently prevented.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2020 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 4132
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 64
Location : Budapest Hungary

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  sosam117 Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:16 pm

balogh wrote:As written in my post this morning, I used the circular screens bought from Bernie for some time, the way I described it, then in hopes of a somewhat less choking and thus increased engine performance, I swapped them to an externally applied, similar mesh sized screen :

Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Killer10


There is no noticeable effect of any of the screens on the engine performance, but given the rough terrain where I fly the chances of any dirt getting into the venturi are efficiently prevented.

Years ago, what we used for screens were taking the wife's ruined pantyhose and use the toe portion (finer screen)
and use fine wire and cover the venturi with the pantyhose, wrap the wire around the venturi over the pantyhose.
Cut the excess off and there you go, a screen to cover over your venturi.
It lasted for years too.

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 850
Join date : 2016-03-23
Location : Suburb of Chicago, Illinois

Back to top Go down

Help! Are these from the tee dee Venturi?

Post  happydad Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:23 pm

balogh wrote:As written in my post this morning, I used the circular screens bought from Bernie for some time, the way I described it, then in hopes of a somewhat less choking and thus increased engine performance, I swapped them to an externally applied, similar mesh sized screen :

Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Killer10


There is no noticeable effect of any of the screens on the engine performance, but given the rough terrain where I fly the chances of any dirt getting into the venturi are efficiently prevented.

Are these the ones from the Tee Dee Venturi? I use the small rubber o-rings in my other life, micro quadcopters.

Thanks,  happydad RC Plane      United States  Old Bugger  Hungary
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 77
Location : Escondido, CA

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:37 pm

I don't think it came from a TD venturi. I simply use tea strainer. Correct size of mesh. I cut with an old pair of scissors.

Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Demlik13


Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Demlik12


Last edited by Levent Suberk on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2017-12-24
Location : Turkey

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  balogh Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm

happydad wrote:
balogh wrote:As written in my post this morning, I used the circular screens bought from Bernie for some time, the way I described it, then in hopes of a somewhat less choking and thus increased engine performance, I swapped them to an externally applied, similar mesh sized screen :

Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/ Killer10


There is no noticeable effect of any of the screens on the engine performance, but given the rough terrain where I fly the chances of any dirt getting into the venturi are efficiently prevented.

Are these the ones from the Tee Dee Venturi? I use the small rubber o-rings in my other life, micro quadcopters.

Thanks,  happydad RC Plane      United States  Old Bugger  Hungary


I bought a sheet of this screen in a shop where such and similar strainers are sold and cut out parts large enough to cap the the venturi. The rubber is 14x1mm O ring..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2020 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 4132
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 64
Location : Budapest Hungary

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  Iceberg Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi Balogh

I really like your external mesh over the Venturi setup. Then with that wire around to effectively hold it on like a retainer ring sort of. Looks good to me.

As for not having a screen. I have many times tried to fly without the screen. However after 10-15 flights (or many less) grass particles or similar somehow find their way to the backplate. So YES the screen is a good friend and helps to avoid teardowns and keep the little gems flying longer:)

Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 354
Join date : 2018-11-03
Location : Bangkapi Thailand

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Anyone know how to put this screen in properly/

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum