Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Cox_ba12

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  wimpyv6 Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Is there a way to separate the flywheel assembly for Cox cars (Riv/Vette/Chaparral/GT 40)? And if so, are the drive gears available?

thanks, in advance.

len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Re: Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  Marleysky Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Yes! The flywheel/fan/gear assembly is removable from the engine. Just unscrew the flathead screw like a prop screw and the assembly should drop right off.  Ex Model engines makes an adaptor to use a prop driver in place of the flywheel. I can’t find a parts diagram of the #350-5 engine but here are the car diagrams and e bay listening of the replacement driven gears:

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 7ab1b010
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 23f92410
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear D1344910
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  wimpyv6 Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:40 pm

Thank you for the information. Apologize for not being clear. I want to remove the small drive gear (10 teeth for Rivs/12 teeth for Vettes) (which has teeth chipped off) from the flywheel. Tried a bunch of penetrating products but the darn gear does not want to separate. Do not know if its glued or screwed in. Not sure if it's even worth it since I've never seen the seen individual drive gears only the whole fan/flywheel/gear assembly.

thanks, len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Use heat

Post  happydad Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:10 pm

wimpyv6 wrote:Thank you for the information.  Apologize for not being clear.  I want to remove the small drive gear (10 teeth for Rivs/12 teeth for Vettes) (which has teeth chipped off) from the flywheel.  Tried a bunch of penetrating products but the darn gear does not want to separate.  Do not know if its glued or screwed in. Not sure if it's even worth it since I've never seen the seen individual drive gears only the whole fan/flywheel/gear assembly.  

thanks, len.

wimpyv6: Like other parts of the engine it may be dried engine oil, castor oil, gunk as it is called sometimes. Or someone may have used a screw glue like locktite. Anyway if the gear is shot anyway, is it plastic or metal, use a hair dryer or heat gun while holding the engine wrapped in an old rag. Apply heat  only to the needed area, the screw and gear, soon it will be quite warm. Set engine down on a hard surface like a bench, not the kitchen table, while holding on tight and use the proper Phillips screw driver, #2 I think, and apply force straight down on the screw, not into your hand, but against the bench. Even locktite will break loose if heated.

Try it.
>>>>edited 7-30-20 4:25p.m. PST -to add pictures -

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Img_1424
this one has a flat head screw

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Img_1425
this one is an extra, don't remember which screw.  both have 12 teeth.
>>>>>>edit done

Happydad.   RC Plane       United States   Old Bugger

Last edited by happydad on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add picture.)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Re: Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  crankbndr Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:53 pm

Is the flywheel assembly still on the engine?

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Spline10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty I didn’t know ??

Post  happydad Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 pm

crankbndr wrote:Is the flywheel assembly still on the engine?

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Spline10

Crankbndr: haven’t heard from you in a while. Bent any cracnkshafts lately? lol! .

I wasn’t aware that the gear cam off. Mine in the lower picture feels like it is swaged into the flywheel. Sort of looks like it too from the inside . If the member needs one mine is extra. PM me.

Happydad. RC Plane     United States    Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:51 pm

to close this out. the small 10 tooth drive gear can be popped out of the flywheel by using a 5/32 pin punch, inserting the punch through the crankshaft spline hole and resting on the backside of the drive gear (and sitting the flywheel on a socket). couple of light taps and the small drive gear popped free.

thank you for all your help.

thanks, len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Mine is 12 tooth

Post  happydad Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:52 pm

wimpyv6 wrote:to close this out.  the small 10 tooth drive gear can be popped out of the flywheel by using a 5/32 pin punch, inserting the punch through the crankshaft spline hole and resting on the backside of the drive gear (and sitting the flywheel on a socket).  couple of light taps and the small drive gear popped free.

thank you for all your help.

thanks, len.

Where is yours used?  I thought all cars used the 12 tooth gear? I have a 12 tooth gear with flywheel as shown.

Happydad. RC Plane     United States   Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 pm

This is what I know. The 10 tooth small metal gear works with the 36 tooth plastic drive gear on the Riviera. The 12 tooth small metal gear works with the 34 tooth plastic drive gear on the Corvette, Chaparral and I think the GT40. Do not know what other cars Cox may have used these on. Another interesting thing is the Riviera chassis is an inch longer than the others. Not sure why Cox would go through the trouble of different gearings and chassis size. The only thing I can think of is that Cox scaled their models to the smallest degree.

thanks, len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Cox gas powered race track

Post  wimpyv6 Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:31 pm

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of happydad. I have been collecting Cox car stuff for many years and finally had the time
to put it all together and get a number of old Cox motors running. He was very helpful with this. I had sent him a short
video of the cars running on the Cox track and he was going to try and figure out how to youtube it and put it in this forum.
After I figured out how to post them (not that hard), I sent him an email with the links below but I never heard back from him.

some size perspective, driveway is three cars wide.

corvette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibE4sgphIlE

corvette corner view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdkhv11Rrso

Riviera white
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1U_PxCQkuA
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  McLaren M16 Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:16 pm

How are the cars connected to the track. I have Gurney indy racers and am wanting to put them on the track. Thanks
McLaren M16
McLaren M16

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:18 pm

The Cox Riviera, GT, Corvette and Chaparral chassis all have two screw holes, in the front and back, where you could attach the track guides like the ones below. The GT, Corvette and Chaparral chassis are all shorter than the Riviera but it does not matter for this. The straight track pieces all have a short special wider slot space where you could insert the car in and let it go. So if the car dies, you need to push it to the nearest straight piece to 'pull out' the car. The only other way the car comes off the track is if the track guides break (made of plastic and the track wears into them) and the car will go careening off the track better than any effect cgi can make. I thought about running just the chassis but what's the fun in that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-Track-guides-for-Buick-Ford-GT-Corvette-1-20-scale-gas-cars-rare-READ/393099334369?hash=item5b868bd2e1:g:ZLEAAOSw34hgBFwL

wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 pm

Y like To run m'y on track one day Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 16122410
Do you tink its possible To fit track guides on m'y model?
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:51 pm

I don't know if the track guides will work with your cars but from the post I've seen, unlke me, you are all creative fabricators.
I have posted a few pictures (hopefully, I did this right) of how the track guides work the actual track.

First picture is the track guides that screw into the bottom of the chassis.  The track guide with the longer screw is for the rear of the
Chaparral/Corvette/GT.  For some reason, Cox put an upward bend in the rear part of these chassis.  Maybe someone know the why and
I'm guessing the chassis on the Riviera is longer than the other three to keep the scale accurate.

Second and third is the Riviera chassis with track guides

Fourth is the wider slot opening to insert/remove cars

Fifth is the end view of a track piece that show the wider bottom and narrower top of the slot

Sixth is the track guide and how it fits inside the track

Seventh is just for fun, 1/1 dual quad 1963 Riviera with 1/20 1964 Cox version

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 20210210
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 20210211
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 20210212
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:56 pm

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 20210213
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 20210214
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 20210215
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 pm

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 20201016
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:50 pm

Those track guides could be easily 3D printed. Cost would be way less that $76 one posted in the Ebay listing.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:37 am

That was Cool !! Thanks for sharing and explaining how it works , Nice runs and Big track too Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:34 am

Its first time y have Good picturs of parts plus wit Good exemple how it work y have first believed it was just use one guides like wit électro 1\24 y have To Find one of them like the track just cant buy or Find one y hope one day y Find For not too expensive $$$
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:49 am

period advert

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Cox_tr10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Sure wasn’t cheap, explains why you don’t see them often.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:28 pm

and the box

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Cox_tr11
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:28 pm

I believe Cox made two sets, one 33ft and no cars and another one 37ft with two Corvettes. Other than the cars the difference is
four straight or six straight pieces of track. Straight pieces are approx 2ft and curves are approx 2 1/2ft.

the one below has been out there for awhile.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Cox-049-33-Feet-Giant-Race-Track-1-20-Scale/372563796534?hash=item56be886236:g:AHgAAOSw0vJcN2eB
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:15 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:13 pm

Coming back to the 3d printing post, been thinking about 3d printing not just track guides but bumpers, taillights, front posts on the Riviera (Corvettes are molded in), maybe the whole body. It seemed like the initial investment for a decent camera/scanner/printer is very pricey. If anyone's a 3d guy contact me and can talk. There's a couple of 3d businesses by the house I may go to and see what the process/cost is. Maybe in a couple of months when things calm down more.

thanks, len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next