Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2020
Kim's

"A Space Bug Goes for a Cruise"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty

Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  wimpyv6 on Thu 30 Jul 2020 - 20:37

Is there a way to separate the flywheel assembly for Cox cars (Riv/Vette/Chaparral/GT 40)? And if so, are the drive gears available?

thanks, in advance.

len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Re: Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  Marleysky on Thu 30 Jul 2020 - 22:13

Yes! The flywheel/fan/gear assembly is removable from the engine. Just unscrew the flathead screw like a prop screw and the assembly should drop right off.  Ex Model engines makes an adaptor to use a prop driver in place of the flywheel. I can’t find a parts diagram of the #350-5 engine but here are the car diagrams and e bay listening of the replacement driven gears:

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 7ab1b010
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear 23f92410
Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear D1344910
Marleysky
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  wimpyv6 on Thu 30 Jul 2020 - 22:40

Thank you for the information. Apologize for not being clear. I want to remove the small drive gear (10 teeth for Rivs/12 teeth for Vettes) (which has teeth chipped off) from the flywheel. Tried a bunch of penetrating products but the darn gear does not want to separate. Do not know if its glued or screwed in. Not sure if it's even worth it since I've never seen the seen individual drive gears only the whole fan/flywheel/gear assembly.

thanks, len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Use heat

Post  happydad on Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 1:10

wimpyv6 wrote:Thank you for the information.  Apologize for not being clear.  I want to remove the small drive gear (10 teeth for Rivs/12 teeth for Vettes) (which has teeth chipped off) from the flywheel.  Tried a bunch of penetrating products but the darn gear does not want to separate.  Do not know if its glued or screwed in. Not sure if it's even worth it since I've never seen the seen individual drive gears only the whole fan/flywheel/gear assembly.  

thanks, len.

wimpyv6: Like other parts of the engine it may be dried engine oil, castor oil, gunk as it is called sometimes. Or someone may have used a screw glue like locktite. Anyway if the gear is shot anyway, is it plastic or metal, use a hair dryer or heat gun while holding the engine wrapped in an old rag. Apply heat  only to the needed area, the screw and gear, soon it will be quite warm. Set engine down on a hard surface like a bench, not the kitchen table, while holding on tight and use the proper Phillips screw driver, #2 I think, and apply force straight down on the screw, not into your hand, but against the bench. Even locktite will break loose if heated.

Try it.
>>>>edited 7-30-20 4:25p.m. PST -to add pictures -

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Img_1424
this one has a flat head screw

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Img_1425
this one is an extra, don't remember which screw.  both have 12 teeth.
>>>>>>edit done

Happydad.   RC Plane       United States   Old Bugger

Last edited by happydad on Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 1:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add picture.)
happydad
happydad
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Re: Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear

Post  crankbndr on Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 3:53

Is the flywheel assembly still on the engine?

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Spline10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty I didn’t know ??

Post  happydad on Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 4:39

crankbndr wrote:Is the flywheel assembly still on the engine?

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Spline10

Crankbndr: haven’t heard from you in a while. Bent any cracnkshafts lately? lol! .

I wasn’t aware that the gear cam off. Mine in the lower picture feels like it is swaged into the flywheel. Sort of looks like it too from the inside . If the member needs one mine is extra. PM me.

Happydad. RC Plane     United States    Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 on Sat 1 Aug 2020 - 19:51

to close this out. the small 10 tooth drive gear can be popped out of the flywheel by using a 5/32 pin punch, inserting the punch through the crankshaft spline hole and resting on the backside of the drive gear (and sitting the flywheel on a socket). couple of light taps and the small drive gear popped free.

thank you for all your help.

thanks, len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6

Back to top Go down

Cox car (Riviera and others)  fan/flywheel/drive gear Empty Mine is 12 tooth

Post  happydad on Sun 2 Aug 2020 - 1:52

wimpyv6 wrote:to close this out.  the small 10 tooth drive gear can be popped out of the flywheel by using a 5/32 pin punch, inserting the punch through the crankshaft spline hole and resting on the backside of the drive gear (and sitting the flywheel on a socket).  couple of light taps and the small drive gear popped free.

thank you for all your help.

thanks, len.

Where is yours used?  I thought all cars used the 12 tooth gear? I have a 12 tooth gear with flywheel as shown.

Happydad. RC Plane     United States   Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wimpyv6 on Sun 2 Aug 2020 - 3:17

This is what I know. The 10 tooth small metal gear works with the 36 tooth plastic drive gear on the Riviera. The 12 tooth small metal gear works with the 34 tooth plastic drive gear on the Corvette, Chaparral and I think the GT40. Do not know what other cars Cox may have used these on. Another interesting thing is the Riviera chassis is an inch longer than the others. Not sure why Cox would go through the trouble of different gearings and chassis size. The only thing I can think of is that Cox scaled their models to the smallest degree.

thanks, len.
wimpyv6
wimpyv6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum