Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Cox_ba12

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 10:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 7:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Today at 6:09 am

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 12:39 am

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 12:33 am

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 12:20 am

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 10:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 8:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 8:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 5:01 am

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:46 am

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 2:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Empty
Live on Patrol

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Empty Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up?

Post  944_Jim Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:11 pm

Guys,

I need a quick reference for WC's new engine mount.
The current build has some extra on the nose for playing with the CG/thrust line over time, and that was with a product engine. I assume (yeah, I know...dangerous) the Babe Bee will need to be quite a bit closer to the wing. I want a "trainer-stable" CG for the young, inexperienced, new owner, but not so heavy that the plane drops like a lawn-dart during a power-off glide.

If you have used the Babe Bee/Baby RingMaster pairing before, what is your nose length from firewall to leading edge? How do you feel it flies and glides?
I intend to cut/fold/drill the new mount Saturday AM while the red dope dries.

Thanks in advance,

Jim in MS
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Empty Re: Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up?

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:50 pm

I went back and looked at your BR build Jim, and it does look like you built in some space for wing adjustment and it looks like there is more fuselage between the wing and the engine than what's in a standard BR.  I'm thinking, just mount a BB as is and check where the balance point lays.  No adjustment may be necessary.

Picture is of my son with our first BR built before he was born and flown and crashed many times.  Lot's of bent balsa and epoxy doing who knows what to it's flight characteristics.  Still it flew and flew well.  

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Mark_b12
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Mark-b11

Me and my second scratch built BR showing perfect form Smile until the tree ate it up.  

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Dad_ri17

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Dad_ri18

One thing for sure WC is going to have a lot of fun with your plane.

Last edited by rsv1cox on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Empty Re: Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up?

Post  wingchicken Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Nice
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm

I call this forum as Land of Good Men.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:02 pm

I have one I gave to my daughter, it’s a genuine sterling kit I measured 7/8” +\- from The leading edge to the backplate.

I’ve also flown it and it will do very large controlled loops.

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Bbf19310
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:35 pm

That looks nice
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:32 am

I built a couple sheet-wing Ringmasters from the plans in the "Files" section of the "Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon" Facebook Page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RingmasterFlyAThon/

This one is flying with a Golden Bee---about the same power a good-running Babe.
35' of Spiderwire....25% Sig...and a beautiful, calm evening!

Starts at: 5:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkQsHjOck8&t=133s
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:44 am

Just measured mine. Mine is an Estes Beginner Ringmaster with 1/8" sheet balsa wing and plastic engine mount. From the leading edge of the wing to the front of the plastic engine mount ( or rear of a Babe Bee backplate) is exactly 1". The top holes for mounting my Babe Bee engine on it are exactly 1/8" above the top edge of the wing. Hope this helps. And mine did fly well with a Babe Bee engine.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:00 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I have one I gave to my daughter, it’s a genuine sterling kit I measured 7/8” +\- from The leading edge to the backplate.

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Bbf19310

Ain't that the one from St. Louis Dan WAY back some years ago?

And...not to hijack the thread, but how's Mooney?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:22 am

Thanks, Gents.

That's just what I needed. Off to begin "Engine Mount, The Sequel!"
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:40 am

Kim wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:I have one I gave to my daughter, it’s a genuine sterling kit I measured 7/8” +\- from The leading edge to the backplate.

Ain't that the one from St. Louis Dan WAY back some years ago?

And...not to hijack the thread, but how's Mooney?

Hey Kim, no bought that one at a local swap. I walked away from It several times and finally coughed up the $20 for it. It had a wen mac on the nose. Nope! Babe Bee replaced it. The one Mooney had was a BRM with a built up wing. Moon is good. Married 2 kids and no more flying... Crying or Very sad
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 am

I plan not on getting married...
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:48 am

Good for him though.
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Empty How about some eye candy?

Post  944_Jim Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:15 pm

How about a candy red?

High temps and humidity are killing me...that, and this is an old bottle of real AeroGloss.

So I spray outside, and then run it into my Hobby Closet where the air is drier and cooler. There are a few places where the blushing is heavy. I am have tempted to overlay a heavy clear coat, but am afraid any new dope will craze the older stuff. The candy is too pretty to overcoat with any old red I may have (picking through the old stock now).

The nose was shortened 3/16".
I still need to knock out a motor mount.
The wood wheels have been painted.Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Img_2244
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Wow that looks nice
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Thank you for the plane
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:25 am

CW,

Ok...new engine mount is rough-shaped. I may cut off some of the material under the wing.

The firewall shape is close. I still need to drill the engine mounting holes.

Landing gear still to be completed.

I don't want you to think I'm not sending the plane, but I may miss tomorrow's mail run. Keep an eye here for updates.

Ron,
I have a couple of spools of Dacron. They will go in the box. I wish I had some light weight Spiderwire.
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Img_2245
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Img_2246
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:36 am

That’s coming out great
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:44 am

The engine stays with me. You can see the balance point is a bit to the rear.
Landing gear should offset the weight of the elevator pushrod.Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Img_2247
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Img_2248
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 am

Looks great Jim! I am not sure how you have the controls set up, but inner hole on the bellcrank and a longer control horn will help the lad from over controlling. All Ringmasters suffer from this problem. 20-25 degrees of elevator deflection is plenty. Let me know how the balance ends up, I can switch to a stunt tank to offset the tail heavy condition if needed.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:42 am

Ron,
Zoom in on the side view. You can make out the hand made control horn.

WC,
I can't finish tonight. The landing gear needs a few mounting tabs made/soldered-on. The bellcrank needs to be installed, and the pushrod bent-up/installed. The lead-out guide hasn't been made.

I'll keep you posted.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:33 am

LG brackets cut, drilled, but not soldered.
Control pushrod bent up and installed with the bellcrank.

I still need to mount an outboard weight, and complete the landing gear (wheels).Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Img_2249
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? Img_2250
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:39 am

Looking good. Reminds me of my first one.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:47 am

Really nice Jim. I like the way you designed the gear. How’s the balance?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:16 am

Ron,
As of right now, CG is roughly 3/4" from leading edge. But that was without a tail skid.
So I have some soldering to do (wheel washers, landing gear straps, tail skid mounting flange) , and then a quick CG check with all appropriate size hardware. Then determine where the leadouts should go, and then figure a way to stow a 1/2 oz weight on the outboard tip.

WC,

It won't be long.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next