Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Attempted to fly the new Dakota. Cox_ba12

Attempted to fly the new Dakota. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Today at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Today at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Attempted to fly the new Dakota. Empty
Live on Patrol

Attempted to fly the new Dakota.

Go down

Attempted to fly the new Dakota. Empty Attempted to fly the new Dakota.

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm

I made a attempt to fly the Dakota two weeks ago. The OK Cub .049 I had on hand was down on compression. I lost my really good one on my last Dakota. I had another OK .049 which runs great but what I've discovered is that OK changed the cases and this one is knows as the streamlined B case. I had a new A version which I received from Brebeck but it sticks out the nose too much. I really need to locate a older .049 B version like I have because I already have the blind nuts in the firewall. .

We get to the field and I'm using a .074 which fits the bolt patter of the .049. Everyone has their opinions and the .074 is really a turd which has less power than a Cox Babe Bee .049 on the same prop. This schoolyard type free flight requires very little power especially for this model. Well I have many problems, one being a wing warp which I need to work out tonight. The first flights had the prop on backwards and I feel the prop is too large.about the 3rd flight the prop went on correctly to get more power but it caused the plane to climb too agressively. I have no idea the size of the prop other than It's a original OK Cub prop with no markings and the OK logo. I need to take out the left thrust which is built into the plane via the F-1 firewall. There's way too much. The engine also needs much more downthrust. On takeoff, the left induced turn is way too tight. The glide which is right goes automatically into a death spiral and this is where the warp is causing this. Using rudder to offset all this is causing  a tug of war within the plane.  On flight #6 the plane hit my leg. It was pretty funny but I couldn't see it due to the sun other than everyone running.

We generally have fault free days and days like this remind us of what not to do. I'm glad my speed flights went off without a hitch or I would've had to take a hiatus for a while.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxH5x1bPwpM
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Attempted to fly the new Dakota. Empty Re: Attempted to fly the new Dakota.

Post  Kim Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Now THAT was some great stuff!

Seems like a bunch of great guys too!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Kim. my son already worked out the needed ( hopefully) repairs for the Dakota. Our small .020 bipe was doing this prior to our trimming. I guess I got real lucky with the old Dakota because it flew right off the bat. The Jetex was being extremely problematic I don't know why. I got the engine to light off immediately, but the fuse wasn't removed enough from the orifice therefore clogging up the nozzle. The one flight, the Mig rolled over inverted, I had about enough of playing with that. It takes patience and I was running out. I'm on limited time and I haven't had the time to dedicate the necessity of what's needed. I'm certain I will get it all working but I still had a great time yesterday. My buddy Frank who does these videos just gets me laughing all the time. hearing him laugh in the video when the Dakota tried to attack me and I fell over had me cracking up. Sometimes, it's just about being together and having a lot of laughs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:01 pm

"Sometimes, it's just about being together and having a lot of laughs."

Testify Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The characters I fly with at Breezy Hill provide continual entertainment with their stories, their projects, and their critique of each others' projects.  

Visitors may be treated to the flight of an 11ft-Kadet or be dodging an errant Free Flight (hope they never have to dodge an errant 11ft Kadet!!), along with control liners making laps in "The Crop Circle".

I got to say though, that you're putting pressure on me with this Dakota stuff.  "Fall S.M.A.L.L. 2020" is bearing down on me like a castor-slinging freight train, with my having no business starting another project...BUT...the BMJR kit in my utility room beckons to me like a hoodlum in a dark doorway every time I go outside.  So far, I'm resisting...

When I finally build it, I'll be committing the hearsay of putting a couple servos in the little biplane so I can make it do slow fly-bys.  I watched an R/C version at last year's S.M.A.L.L., and no assassin took out it's owner...that I witnessed...

Thanks again for the great video!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Pot O gold at the end of the rainbow Ken. Watched the whole thing. Enjoyed it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:25 am

A lot of good fun for sure , enjoyed tagging along . Beautiful Rainbow !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:59 pm

That was very entertaining..!
You guys put on a great show with a great assortment of stuff. Too bad so many in our hobby never get the chance to see.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:57 am

Seeing that the cold has set upon us, I wanted to get another flight in on the Dakota. The building that joins the field decided to park some busses right next to our flying area. I launched the Dakota and this time rather than make a sweeping turn and come back to me, it decided to go straight. The right wing caught the tip of the bus and spiraled back into it doing some damage to the fuse. Nothing seriously bad, just a bit upsetting seeing that I finally got some kinks worked out of it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 am

What Kinks did you work out since it took own its own to go straight or is that what they do FF ? Glad the damage was minor !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:59 pm

First kink was getting the OK .074 off of it. Kim generously supplied me with a OK .049 B. I lost my .049 on the last Dakota when she flew up and out never to be found. My .049 was tired and wouldn't start. I used a .074 which is a very anemic turd but it still is overpowering for the Dakota. After many prop changes, I got it working but it required a serious amount of downthrust. So I removed it and on went the .049. This is where the problems began again. You can't offer too much rudder. Rudder on takeoff causes a lot of issues. The plane already torque rolls to the left and trying to disrupt that by using rudder adjustments causes further issues especially when the power cuts. I did a little wing twisting and now I got my left turns and right glide outs when the power cut without it stalling in the right handed turn back to the ground.

As far as it flying straight, well it's freeflight. Crosswinds could've done it, who knows. Typically, it quickly rises and turns to the left gaining altitude, it leans out and pitches the nose up very slightly ( I'm trying to stop that) and it glides out to the right.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Cool stuff.. reading about free-flight adventures. I've lost model-rockets.. but that doesn't even come close to losing an airframe and its IC engine. Even a Jetex glider can catch a ride on a thermal.. and be gone..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:28 am

Roddie, I build a lot of hand launch gliders. If you never built one, you would be amazed at the amount of effort that goes into one. It takes a lot of sanding to make them correct. My dad gave me a Jetco Thermic B when I was 10. He said, "Read the instructions". When your done read them again. So, excited as I was I took it to my building table cut out the templates from the print and began the task of cutting and shaping. Now, being 10, I didn't know what I know now and I made two left wingtips. I showed my dad, he got pretty ticked off and said put it away we will fix it another time.

Fast forward 45 years later and I pulled it out, exactly as I left it. I completed it and made it look beautiful, just like the box with clear finish and red Jap tissue trim. I gave it to my son, he's very good at trimming these. We could get the altitude, it was the roll out that was being problematic. After so many repeated attempts, he finally got it and he put up a killer flight with it. He goes to repeat it and it rolled out, circled, every circle gained another 20ft in climb. Keep in mind this was late November and it was cold out. After 2.5 minutes of circling it was obvious we weren't going to get it back. It flew off about 3/4 of a mile before we lost sight of it and it flew onto airport property which is illegal to be on. Who know where it went but it was upsetting. However, it went out with a style that most never get to do.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down