Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Laping tool  Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the weather?
by NEW222 Today at 9:12 pm

» Here. Hold my beer.
by roddie Today at 8:39 pm

» 31st Annual SMALL 2020, Mayflower, Arkansas - Oct 22-25, 2020
by xplaneguy Today at 7:52 pm

» Another Cox Parts ID
by davidll1984 Today at 6:31 pm

» Upcoming - Value priced new Cox engines
by sosam117 Today at 6:30 pm

» 5x3 3-Blade Opinions
by Mark Diedrichs Today at 5:40 pm

» OS engine ?
by pkrankow Today at 8:42 am

» Cox .01 /.02 /.05 /.09 /.15 Speed Planes
by 1/2A Nut Today at 6:02 am

» Merlin inserts?
by 944_Jim Today at 5:59 am

» Plastic tank issues
by KMatch Yesterday at 10:47 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2020
Jason_WI's

"Pieces and parts RR-1. New crank, rotary valve, and drive plate. Early #1 cylinder. Drilled out golden bee backplate. Battle hardened crankcase and tank."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
Gallery

Laping tool  Empty

Laping tool

Go down

Laping tool  Empty Laping tool

Post  davidll1984 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:11 pm

Laping tool  Lappin10 is it possible To Find that tool picturs ????
davidll1984
davidll1984
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Laping tool  Empty Re: Laping tool

Post  Levent Suberk on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:15 am

Model Builder magazine May 1979:

Laping tool  Screen63

Laping tool  Screen64
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:00 pm

Merci beaucoup très apprécié difficile à trouver maintenant les informations supplémentaires sur le porting son très intéressante votre aide est très précieuse est je l'apprécie Very Happy I Love This Forum!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 am

5/16" tubing with masking tape wrapped around the top is even simpler. If you need more friction to hold the piston wrap more tape around it. I've been using the same piece of tubing for probably 35 years.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:37 am

Reading this article essentially for me offered nothing that I already didn't know from self taught experience. One thing the article clearly mentioned was the need for several piston cylinder sets on hand. This is due to the fact that your going to screw it up which they did all the time. The article also stated that no one tuner or piston fit will offer appreciable results, it becomes more or less of try it, if it works, it works. I only felt the need to do this when I would constantly hear the engine sagging. The pistons even though are nitrate hardened, they still swell and until all stresses are relieved from continuous expanding contracting cycles will continue to do so.

When I would break in a TD for combat, I used the fuel I was going to run for combat which was high percentage nitro fuel. It's been so long since I've done this, I don't recall my rpm numbers. I would use the black 5x3 full and run it for a few minutes at a time and record the rpm's. I would then use clipped down versions going down to 4" in size and I would aim for high rpm's which is the number I can't recall. You had to be quick in doing this as a newer piston can expand very quickly which galls the cylinder. You would listen for any audible sagging when going for the high rpms. If you heard any sagging, quickly shut it down and let it cool. This is when we would lap a piston cylinder and go through this entire process. This may require 3-4 times of light lapping before we could hold that rpm without issues such as sagging.

Keep in mind that the cylinders of a Cox engine are dead soft. Essentially, your wearing it out. This is a very crude caveman approach. You have no idea when doing this if your cylinder is out of round or the piston is out of round or both. Your wearing a possible oval into a circle or vice versa. When you did lap it in, you only used this engine for contest use as it's longevity was seriously compromised. You didn't fly this engine for sport use. While it would still run for a long time, it never fully developed it's lifespan like a stock engine due to the high rpm's we used them for. I had quite a bit of TD cylinders on hand and I believe I'm down to my last few.

While the article makes claims that there's no solution to loose fitting pistons, I fully disagree. My best engines I ever owned had literally NO compression what so ever yet they would run like a scalded cat. They would literally windmill they were so free. These engines were also the first to hand grenade but prior to that, they offered the highest performance. As the article mentions, you need to run it and record it, there's no voodoo magic that says it will work.

While everyone isn't striving for top performance, these same issues occur for instance when you have a fully cowled in engine which is where I encountered issues with speed planes.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:44 am

Very open words Ken. Thank you. I also prefer longevity to top performance and let the engine wear itself rather than myself attempting to loosen up the good fit of cylinder for some extra rpm.

I second to your opinion that COX engines last long,and can work many hundreds of hours before retire. COX ran an experiment and after 400 hours the engine still ran fine though the reduced compression required to use of electric starter at the end.

At high rpm-s the time for blow-by to lose combustion gases is limited and even if when hand cranking the compression feels weak, at high rpm the impact of blow-by is limited.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:50 am

Gents,
I would love to see these scanned to PDF and parked in the "library" here.

Thanks in advance.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Laping tool  Screen67
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk