Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 Cox_ba12

Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 Empty
Live on Patrol

Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines!

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

020 Engine Re: Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines!

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:21 am

A perfect presentation LB209.  Thanks
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:04 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers sunny Fantastic !! Sounds like a really Good experience and I love the teat stand /board with Rustys Engines on it NICE!!! Good to hear all the engine behaved nicely for you and the kids , I had a little problem getting the RR-1 to run right myself and the .020 did not want to cooperate at all , so I took it apart and replaced the gasket for the 3-D printed back plate and replaced the glow but didn't get a chance to run it because it was COLD out for me . Jason had printed the back plate for some of us to try , you had to press a needle into it ur self I have a few of those here somewhere LOL Watching for the video  Popcorn  Thanks for report    Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:56 am

GREAT WORK!!!!

This is what Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines are all about!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:41 pm

Very nice post layback209. I'm glad to see you had a great time with the engines, and got the kids involved too! Beer Cheers

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:31 pm

Fantastic! Well done!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:00 am

Thanks everyone. This Site Rocks! . My kids were pretty excited about it, you can see the spark in my youngest eye in the photo pretty good too.  Small Cox Logo

Here's a run video of the engines in action, stick around to the end about 3 mins where we cranked up the RR1 and PeeWee at the same time.

I think all the solid tune ups done before me really made it easy to run them. Thanks really helped with the time I had for this.  Seen your note in the log Getback, great stuff.
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:20 am

Clapping Clapping Clapping Hand Shake  Sounding GOOD !! Thanks layback209  >> Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 Scree107
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:14 pm

Hi layback209,
What a wonderful tribute to Rusty. Cool
I think he is still smiling. Smile
Middle of winter, Manitoba, Canada, is not easy at all...
Should be noted in your y-tube...
Thanks for your great posting here,
With Respect,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:36 pm

layback209 on Feb 12, 2023 wrote:Also ran the 0.020 and rr1 in harmony, now that was quite the experience. Video soon. When they both cranked up, folks stepped back, powerful sound and epic oil spray action. Plan is to copy photos and videos onto the USB, fill out the log book and ship them out mid next week Thumbs Up Flying
Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 20230214
I particularly enjoy the photo with @layback209 and his sons, very precious, know they are meant to be someone important when they grow up. The modeling hobby is meant to be shared with such. They are our future.

Since the next party in line is not quite ready to receive the engines yet, Jacob has given the go ahead for me to fill the gap. Layback (Derek) is in the process of mailing the engines to me.

Will notify when engines are received with forthcoming photos, engine tests and if weather permits, possibly a flight or two, before sending ahead. - George
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:33 pm

HalfaDave wrote:
Middle of winter, Manitoba, Canada, is not easy at all...

@HalfaDave
Well, you don't have to tell me that twice...... Laughing Laughing
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:55 pm

NEW222 wrote:
HalfaDave wrote:Middle of winter, Manitoba, Canada, is not easy at all...
@HalfaDave Well, you don't have to tell me that twice...... Laughing Laughing
Am very familiar with Winnipeg, capital of Manitoba, having visited there back in the 1980's several times, been as far as Portage La Prairie, west of Winnipeg where one of my wife's friends was from. Now hear that the population in Portage is the same size as Portales (13k), 20 miles south of us and home to Eastern New Mexico University.

Our new Salvation Army Officers (pastors) are from Canada also and have lived in Winnipeg.

Got a little story. Back in December 2013, went to bell ring with my saxophone at the Salvation Army kettle outside in front of Hobby Lobby here in Clovis. It was 22ºF (-6ºC) at 9:00 AM in the morning. (We usually don't get that cold of weather until January or February.) tongue My first thought was that Jim, one of our previous officers would cancel bell ringing. Then it dawned on me, "no, he's Canadian." Doh! When he arrived, I told him that. He laughed, told me his favorite sport is hockey.

lol! I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:19 am

That's Great George that your getting on board with the Rusty's Traveling Engines !! look forward to the adventures in your neck of the woods . Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:47 am

getback wrote:That's Great George that your getting on board with the Rusty's Traveling Engines !! look forward to the adventures in your neck of the woods . Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo Very Happy
Eric, regarding my neck of the woods, except in town, we don't have much woods. lol!
Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 2014-012
Fall 2014 near Santa Rosa, NM with friends, I am at the far right next to my 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII.
Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 Russel10
Winter 2014 at Russell's Truck Stop in Endie, NM with friends, I am at the far right.

lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:04 pm

To all, Derek @layback209 shipped Rusty's memorial engines to me. They departed Calgary, Canada 11 days ago, made its trek to Vancouver, then cleared customs in Los Angeles, CA; after to Texas: Dallas - Fort Worth, Abilene, Lubbock, arriving in Clovis, NM yesterday afternoon. I was out when it arrived with my wife intercepting it.

I'd just got home at supper time and saw the packages, but had community band rehearsal in the evening, so I got a chance today to open it. Here's the box as received:
Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 2023-049
Note, for those concerned with privacy, the photo resolution is sufficiently low enough to protect that. Wink

These are the contents found inside:
Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 2023-050

More to follow.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:07 pm

Glad to see the engines made it safe. Thumbs Up

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:15 pm

Looks familiar. Nice to know that it's in good hands.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:12 pm

The Thunderbolt r/c longs are now worth a king's ransom.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:05 pm

Woohoo! That's not to bad for shipping speed, glad it made it over seamlessly. Flying

I am curious what your instrument is? I used to play lead trombone in a Jazz band and in classical band in grade school.

Look forward to following along This Site Rocks! Popcorn
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:16 pm

layback209 wrote:I am curious what your instrument is? I used to play lead trombone in a Jazz band and in classical band in grade school.
Hijacked
Saxophone. My early 1950's French made Selmer Beaugnier Vito bari sax, was an Internet auction buy at $315 US shipping included, an old battered school instrument, retired from circulation. It was musty when received. Did a clean up, removed dents, resoldered broken solder joints, straightened the key rack, adjust pad heights, added missing key bumpers, etc. Now it plays beautifully in tune. It was hand made. Selmer discontinued these in 1970 because they could not compete with machine made instruments.

Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 Vito_b11
My Vito bari before clean-up, red shows it has high copper content.
Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 2015-110
My Vito bari after clean-up, brass looks normal without corrosion.

Back To Topic Thanks
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:01 am

Good News George , bee looking forward to the adventures on the Flat lands of NM Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:58 am

Hi All,
I did some math and observations.
Hope you do not mind.
Somehow,
Rusty's engines got from Manitoba to New Mexico.
In the most roundabout way.
Through very wicked weather, few have ever seen.
I bet,
Rusty has a smile on his face... Cool
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:26 pm

You probably been wondering what I have been up to, as now 2 weeks have passed since I received Rusty's engines. Haven't forgotten. Next in line isn't quite ready to receive them. (Well, some discussion he can, through receipt by others, but would be out of pocket for a few weeks.) Last week had a last minute tasker, daughter sold her house and so we were in Phoenix for a couple days to help her move, now temporarily staying with us.

I don't know how Bob is able to keep busy like the EverReady energizer bunny. I just turned 69 a couple days ago, and he is 16 years my senior. Was down a couple days resting. (11 hours driving one way for 2 days total there and return tuckered me out. sleep )

Just letting you know, we are still within the intent of the rules originally set up by Jacob. To keep things moving, he asked that we take no more than 2 weeks, but there can be exceptions due to weather, etc.

Here's what the engines look like out of their case.
Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines! - Page 7 2023-061

Above all, we must give @Jason_WI a hearty thank you, because he went through the trouble to make available these 3 special engines, the venerable Fox .35 3-bolt Stunt, the special Cox .020 Pee Wee variant with a custom 3D printed scaled down horseshoe back and the hot Cox .049 RR-1 with specially machined ribbed crankcase, 8 CC stunt tank and rear rotary valve fitted where the reed valve usually sits on the front of the tank.

Crankcase is pinned to rotate this rear rotary valve. Sceptre Flight engine article archive has it outputting 0.092 BHP at 18,000 RPM on Cox Racing Fuel (30% nitro?). The .049 Tee Dee puts out .14 BHP at 22,000 RPM, considerably more powerful. I found it interesting that the Black Widow achieved 0.085 BHP at 16,000 RPM on standard Cox Fuel (15%?). So, short of further improvements, it is understandable why with the law of diminishing returns, (the more you attempt to improve it, the less you get back), hotter reed valve engines won out. The extra machining effort to create the RR-1 wasn't worth the cost.

The following are the opening words by Jacob introducing the purpose of this particular traveling engine set:
Admin on Oct. 9, 2020 wrote:To honor and remember our friend and fellow modeler, Rusty Knowlton (RknRusty), Jason Birnschein (Jason_WI) has created a set of engines to pass around to all of those who wish to show their respect. The set includes a special Cox .020 engine with a custom 3D printed backplate, a Cox RR-1 .049 engine, and a 15th anniversary gold plated Fox .35 engine. This set works in the same way as the first two Traveling Engines, the engines and all the accessories inside a case will be shipped from member to member.

@Jason_WI did a fantastic job on providing these engines.

The Fox .35 Stunt (3 bolt backplate) has noticeable patina from being run. As @Ken Cook would say, the head has the right color for a Fox. Very Happy It has been highly polished, has a chrome like appearance to it. The custom made horseshoe back Pee is a sight to behold. You need to handle this downsized horseshoe back to really appreciate the work it took into creating it. On the side of it has in block letters, "RUSTY" embossed on it. The rarer RR-1 has some of the blue anodizing rubbed off it where in the past it had been installed and removed a couple times. Left upper side the crankcase by the cylinder mount area has an abraded portion, where it appears it may have suffered a crash of some sort. Otherwise, it looks clean and has excellent compression.

Today, we had colder temperatures with 40 MPH (65 kmh) winds. I've run engines before inside the garage with vehicles removed, but as windy as it is and additional stuff in the garage, not a good idea. I have roughly a week before engines are shipped off to the next recipient.

I bought a new glow plug igniter, but am a little disappointed in the quality. My old one had a positive locking feature, by pushing over plug then twist about 1/8th of a turn. This one isn't formed as good, does not make good contact unless I hold it with one hand, does not do hands off well. I'm beginning to think about locating my old one, removing the battery on this one and getting my old one work work again. Also, the charger is strange. Normally, the LED is used to indicate you have made good a good connection, so battery can charge. This one just indicates the charger is plugged in, kind of useless.

I looked at the others offered, seems to be the same cheap junk in photos. However, I did get my rejuvenated K&B .35 Stallion that I resurrected from the dead (the one that suffered water damage that I painted the head green like the Torpedoes). It ran on prime just fine, just as Ken points out, seems to love to scream.

More to come ... I Love This Forum! This Site Rocks! lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:32 pm

Looking good George! Thumbs Up

Can't wait to see more. Popcorn

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:03 am

George , Good to see the engines brings back memories ! I don't think it would bee a problem with a extended stay in NM and knowing your on the forum often Small Cox Logo  So enjoy the time you have with the Rusty's Memorial Engines . At least give them a good running Very Happy  Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:49 am

The 15th anniversary is a bit of a rarity. It actually is plated in gold but it usually fades real bad. Fox didn't do the plating themselves. Many of these oxidized and the plating begins peeling off. The Fox .40 Rat engine was also of the same plating. I've always come to agree that this version of this engine is one of the finer ones as I've always seen them run quite successfully. I personally own one myself but the previous owner used it for free flight and drilled a hole in the case for a venturi flood off and cut the stack down slightly. The hole I can deal with it's the butchering of the case that bothers me. I would also like to give Jason a big thumbs up for taking the effort to provide all of it in a wonderfully arranged case and information.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next