Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Here. Hold my beer.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Empty Re: Here. Hold my beer.

Post  roddie Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:28 pm

gkamysz wrote:Haha that's great! It just needs a substantial spring somewhere to keep that cylinder in check.

Yes.. and BTW.. awesome thread Mark. Is there the possibility to fit an OEM exhaust-shield between the cases? I lost my pics.. but it's a stamped-steel part shaped the same as a case gasket.. and having a protrusion designed to deflect hot exhaust gases. Maybe it would provide a friction/detente for your faux cylinder/needle.

Why does the rear glowhead loosen-up? Maybe another gasket or two would help?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:39 pm

Here's an image of the Bee engine's exhaust-deflector.

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Exhaus13

or..

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Exhaus14

A short piece of wooden-dowel in-between with a flat/notch filed might stay in place.. at a minimal weight penalty. Basically a friction-collar.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:50 pm

Great idea, Roddie! Not between the cases, but between the Goldberg mount and the rear case. That should work. Let me think on it for a while. Maybe a thin sheet of cork or rubber to rub against the cylinder. I should have some cork sheet stashed away somewhere for either clarinet repair, or Mosin bedding.

The Craftsman Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:15 am

Continued:

With the back case in place I screwed in the needle valve to see where the fuel nipple is.  I then marked the position and drilled a hole in the bottom of the rear case.  

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7469
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7475

Then I put the two cases back together.  

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7477
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7488
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7493
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7498

For reference, I measured the weight of this engine against an 8cc tanked Bee.  This engine is only 0.45 ounces more than the tanked engine.  2.35 ounces vs. 1.9 ounces for the Bee (68 vs. 54 grams).  

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7514
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7517
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7521
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7526

For the faux plug I dug around the old engines box looking for a bad glow head and found an engine with a glow head missing the filament.

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7534

Everyone wanted to know how I was using the cylinder to needle the engine.  The obvious method I was going to use was with a piece of fuel tubing to rotate the needle valve.  I didn’t want to ruin the existing needle on the reed valve assembly. So I dug around and found a spare fine needle.  I cut the top off of this and then slipped a short length of small fuel tubing over the stub.  As I said, I didn’t like my first idea.  So I just did a quicky change to try out my new idea.  All I did was cut a shim from a cookie tin for the fuel tubing to go through.  The fuel tubing sticks out of the top and when I put the faux plug on, it compresses the fuel tubing and traps it.  Thus, when I rotate the cylinder, it rotates the shim and the small fuel tubing attached to the needle.  I started off by opening the needle valve three turns, then installed the cylinder in the case backed out ¾ turn from all the way in.  Then I tightened the faux head down.  Unfortunately, I had a little too much fuel tubing sticking above the shim, so the head didn’t tighten down as I’d hoped on the test I did the other day.

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7555

Now that I know the idea works, I pulled the tin shim and made a new insert from brass shim stock.  I took a glow head gasket and put a tape backing on it.  I trimmed the tape around the outside of the gasket and taped it to the shim.  Next I used a Sharpie to mark the outline.  After that I drilled out the center for the fuel tubing and then trimmed the insert to the same size as a glow head gasket.  I put the insert in place and pulled the tubing through the hole.  Installing the faux head seemed to do much better with this brass shim and it tightened down much better than the tin shim did.

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7558
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7568
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7571
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7577

Lastly, I went ahead and dug out a cylinder heat shield and installed it between the rear case and the Goldberg mount.  I have to admit that Roddie’s idea to use the heat shield to provide friction resistance to the cylinder was be…  ***ahem***  Was bet…  ***cough***  Was bett…  ****wheeze***  Was bette… ***hack, cough***  Was equally as good as my idea, and I went with his instead.

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 DSCN7583

The Congested Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:25 am

roddie, Mark; roddie, Mark; roddie, Mark. Two heads are better than one especially on model engines.

Good one Mark!

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:07 am

Way to improvise Mark and another Good helping idea from roddie !! Have you ran it since the upgrade ? The weight came in good . Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:43 am

I think this is the most elegant ”faux twin” that I have seen. Would look really good on a sport scale biplane or a model of one of those old small aircraft that had an inline twin.

Now that the ”rear face” of the engine block is flat, it would be possible to make a radial mounting plate using maybe 1/8” aluminium. Countersink the screws on the back, and drill mounting holes maybe in a tanked bee or horseshoe pattern. Would make it a little bit more robust, considering the extra weight and moment compared to a standard 290 engine, and the possible brittleness of the Goldberg mount Two Cents

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I am quite impressed by the ingenuity involved, and even though there were not many greenies, I am sure I am not the only one Thumbs Up
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Just a reminder of the "original concept" picture I posted which prompted Mark's build.  
Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Screen23

I also found another.  This time we can try to figure out the tank/intake arrangement.  Interesting to note it has the exhaust shield on the rear cyulinder as Roddie suggested.

Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Screen24
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:11 pm

Okay.  I finally got around to building a plane for this.  No name for the plane yet.  But I also wanted to try making a flapped sheet wing plane, so this is two first flights in one.  The balloon tank is a 9” party balloon.  It’s filled up about half full.  That got a 9 minute and 45 second run.  On the way home I stopped at WalMart and got a bag of 7” balloons, and that’s only because they didn’t have 5” party balloons…  Ah, well.  They’re only 99 cents for the bag of 30 balloons.  I can always use the 9” balloons for the Medallion .15 on my SIG Acromaster.

The Double Mint Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:37 am

[quote="Oldenginerod"]Just a reminder

I also found another.  This time we can try to figure out the tank/intake arrangement.  Interesting to note it has the exhaust shield on the rear cyulinder as Roddie suggested   Here. Hold my beer. - Page 2 Scree155

Huh... look like the cars engine is made functional I don't know but maybe look at the piston inside look the same like if this one was runing also Huh... custom made crankchaft adaptor?? And if the motor really works it must have a lot of torque Eyebrows Thumbs Up Maybe that would be one of my future projects. I could use a leaking crankcase to modify in the rear I have already thought about how to couple two motors but certain technical difficulties are present.
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:28 am

batjac wrote:......That got a 9 minute and 45 second run......

The Double Mint Mark

That's about 5 minutes and 45 seconds too long for me.  You're a brave man!!

BTW, thoroughly enjoyed the video. The engine ran really well throughout - congrats.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2