Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Cox_ba12

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 9:29 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Empty
Live on Patrol

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Empty Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying

Post  Kim Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:07 am

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 0_034

So, this little kit popped up on Ebay, and I stalked it for a few days before a last-minute pounce netted me another project in my crowded shop.

This is yet another "Snubbing My Nose at the Past" affair, having built a Little Tom Tom when I was 13 or so, and ending up with WAY-less-than-nice results.  The build went well, but I was strapped for money to buy the incredibly expensive bottles of Aerogloss dope to finish it.  

My youthful impatience took charge and, instead of waiting and working to get the funds, I decided to try finishing the model with spray paint from some cans I'd found in our old coal shed. As I said, the results were WAY less than nice, with Little Tom Tom's fuel-soaked gooey finish being impossible to clean, or even handle without it leaving it's traces on your fingers.

Like many others, it's life ended in a "Viking Funeral", and another early Life Lesson learned.

This one will be different.  It's gonna get a finish of similarly expensive Brodak Dope on silkspan (from my precious stash of that macho tissue), with a base color of cream, red trim, and copying the scheme from it's box photo.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Dsc_0081

The kit's die-cutting and balsa are actually pretty nice, and I had few problems getting the parts loose from their sheets.  I'd assumed, because of it's similarity to the other 1/2A VECO kits that it was designed by the legendary Joe Wagner, but a fellow named "J.E. Barr" is listed instead.  The plane is very close in size to my Uncle Wayne's Dumas-kitted "Scout", and was my choice back in the day to add a bit of variety to our flight line.

Little Tom Tom will be powered by the .049 I won in a raffle at S.M.A.L.L. (Super Thanks to Matt & Bernie for their sponsorship of the wonderful event!), with a 3/8 oz wedge tank holding the go-juice.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 0_035

My kit building seems to take forever these days, with lots of "stopping and staring breaks" as projects crawl along, and with plenty of interruptions to walk my gravel road and think about things.  Eventually, I get stuff framed up enough for photo-ops that helps spur my enthusiasm.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 0_713
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 1_176
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 2_158

I'm currently resisting the urge to pirate the wheels from one of my two beloved Wen Mac Aracobras---I know: the plane is a flying dump truck---but it's wheels are beautiful little things.  A set has been flying on Uncle Wayne's Scout since 1968, so if anyone has a couple they'd be willing to part with, I'd be happy to buy them.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Wen_ma11

Last edited by Kim on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Empty Re: Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am

Great buying Kim. Very Happy It is very nice feeling that opening an old kit box, cutting and sanding old balsa. I think that dope is an additional feeling which is a remembrance from younger days. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Empty Re: Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying

Post  Ken Cook Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:52 pm

One of my favorites. I have the profile version  for 1/2A and .35 size. Very good flying planes.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks Guys !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Kim wrote:

I'm currently resisting the urge to pirate the wheels from one of my two beloved Wen Mac Aracobras---I know: the plane is a flying dump truck---but it's wheels are beautiful little things.  A set has been flying on Uncle Wayne's Scout since 1968, so if anyone has a couple they'd be willing to part with, I'd be happy to buy them.

I got ya covered Kim, but your going to have to take the whole darn plane. Small payment for all the things you have done for me over the years. Missing the cowl, and it has my ill-conceived replacement canopy but it should do the job.

I think I still have your address around somewhere, if I don't i'll PM ya.

Bob

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying P1010560
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying P1010561
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying P1010562
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Really nice, Kim, I built one back in high school 1971, painted the fuselage with Sunburnt Orange acrylic enamel, same paint I used on my 1967 Datsun PL411 Bluebird sedan that I repainted. Was a victim of my military service when I left it in my old bedroom at my parent's house. Sad Goodbye

However, if I ever wanted to build, Outerzone has the profile version called the Half-A Tomahawk. Eyebrows
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Apart from the wingtips and stabs it looks eerily similar to the Scout! You just keep building buddy! I envy you.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:09 am

Nice that the die cut parts are popping out for you , I got a kit i was going to built and it had those cut dents in it soooo i closed it for then lol I really like the looks of full body planes they just seem to stand out and well Look like a airplane !! sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 am

As I recall, Dumas kit was very decent with quality wood and clean die cutting, unlike Sterling and Comet. Guillow overall had reasonable die cutting except for a few gotchas once in awhile, but much of the wood was of denser, heavier and harder balsa, made for rubber powered that flew fast and heavy. Scientific overall had clean die cutting, must have been the influence of the late Walt Musciano with the company.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Kim wrote:

I got ya covered Kim, but your going to have to take the whole darn plane.  

Well, that's great Bob! Shoot me a note about the shipping!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Apart from the wingtips and stabs it looks eerily similar to the Scout! You just keep building buddy! I envy you.

Ron

Thanks Ron!

Yeah, the wing frame and fuse look to be just about identical to the Scout...there may be a story behind that deal.

I hope to keep all this silliness going 'till the end, and am thankful I can still see to build these little suckers, and be able to turn with them on their lines.

This Forum has often fired me to go out and "Do Some Model Stuff"...so it's Jacob's fault!

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Dsc_0083
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Dsc_0082
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 am

The continuing saga of "Little Tom Tom the Circle Turner".

Don't know if my retro controliner is gonna be ready for Breezy Hill's "Black Fly Day" on the 27th but, if not, it may be up there as a "Show-&-Tell" static display.  The Flyers appreciate the work and time it takes for this special kind of silliness.

After a bunch of carving and sanding, it's time to start the finishing process, which often takes longer than the building process.  The paints used---Brodak Dope in this case---must be allowed curing time between coats, along with a light sanding before each new coat is applied.  

Since I can't keep the shop heated all the time, Little Tom Tom will be brought inside between each painting session to help set the finish, so the house will be filled with the special aroma that used to get me banished to the front porch.

It's wing frame will get a brushed-on clear coat to adhere it's silkspan covering.  Then more over-all layers 'till it starts to shine, when the paint gun comes out and a thin white coat is applied for a base color.  This is followed by scheme color and trim, and a floor littered with bits of masking tape.

As Rudy Pittman (my ex-father-inlaw) might say, "It's looking mighty airplaney!"

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 7_54
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 1_177
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 8_45
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 9_36

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 10_120
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:59 am

Frame up looks Good But i must ask why are you using (what appears to bee fishing line ) for lead outs ? I have stopped using those because i had a few issues with burning them with the monokote iron and that's a repair before first flight i don't want to do anymore Mad With built up rib wings of course. Fishing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 am

getback wrote:Frame up looks Good But i must ask why are you using (what appears to bee fishing line ) for lead outs ? I have stopped using those because i had a few issues with burning them with the monokote iron and that's a repair before first flight i don't want to do anymore Mad With built up rib wings of course. Fishing  

It's another one of my goofy "things". I was given a huge spool of carpet thread back in '68 or so as a gift intended for flying line. I quickly figured out that it was way heavier than the dacron we all used, but found it was great for lead-outs on my PT-19's and other RTF's.

My Big Otto has been using it since 2000 with no problems, and that old dog has seen a lot of flying time. I only use it with nylon bellcranks and plastic tube guides, figuring their hardness to be similar. It's much lighter than cable lead-outs and I've never really liked the music wire type because of it getting bent where it exits the guide tubes.

That's my only excuse, but I've got high confidence that these lines will still be operational long after I've lost the ability to turn with the little 1/2A.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 am

Kim, you use Ambroid glue! Very Happy Is it available again? Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 am

BTW, not meaning to pull the fire out of this thread deviating a little off-topic but not off-topic, the Veco Half-A Little Tomahawk, profile version of the Half-A Tom-Tom II (original Tom-Tom had no jet-like styling):

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6841

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 684110

Here's a modern build, don't know if Tony Leong of Singapore is a member here:

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 00312

It's got a perky Cox gracing the nose of it.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying 00610
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 am

Levent Suberk wrote:Kim, you use Ambroid glue! Very Happy Is it available again? Very Happy

Not to my knowledge...just my gradually dwindling stash. Sad
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:41 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:BTW, not meaning to pull the fire out of this thread deviating a little off-topic but not off-topic, the Veco Half-A Little Tomahawk, profile version of the Half-A Tom-Tom II (original Tom-Tom had no jet-like styling):

Oh yeah! I love all these kits and versions.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:50 pm

No problem, Kim. BTW still got the 30" Pilot Cessna 177 Cardinal CL with Enya .09-III and 46" Berkeley Impulse with Cox .09 Medallion RC to complete, 90% framed each. That Tom-Tom II has a place in my heart as I built in 1971 while in high school. Even then I enjoyed the quality of the Dumas kit over the other manufacturers. Dumas (Veco) did a really nice job on their kits.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:20 am

Dumas referred to the 1/2A version as the Little Tomahawk. Mine has been crashed more times then I can recount. My early engines were Black Widows and I had one that would just quit without notice. I discovered later that the black backplate was cracked around the screw bosses. Off with the Black Widow on with the TD. Using the TD the tank was offering issues but a rich run would generally suffice even though it defeated the purpose of it going fast. However, I used to fly with .008" steels and they broke causing it to go into the asphalt from atop the circle straight in. I rekitted that baby but was determined and put it back together. I've had this plane for nearly 40 years and still fly it today. Norvel powered now and I wouldn't look back as it's a excellent flying plane even though it's a bit heavy. The larger Dumas Tomahawk was offered in two versions, Veco made one version which Dumas carried over but Dumas offered their version as well. The .35 size profile looks just like the 1/2A version, almost Flite Streakish. Some subtle differences such as rounded nose but aside from that it shares the same qualities as a Flite Streak. No profiles fly as well as the Streaks do. As old of a design, I've yet to see any profiles offered even modern outfly one in terms of turning. The only thing that supercedes one is a combat wing.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:17 am

Here's another interesting build that I'm going to follow -- lots of nostalgia for this design.  

My first foray into larger C/L planes was Carl Goldberg's Buster (which had a lifespan of about 5 seconds).  The second was the .19 sized Tom Tom that I was able to successfully fly into an oily mush before hanging it up.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Tom_to10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 am

Hey Kim, That's a good-looking little ship! I had a concern which you may have already addressed.. but I didn't read anything further on the engine-mount.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Dsc_0010
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Dsc_0011

The distance between the tank and firewall. If you're mounting the engine with wood-screws, I'd beware of their length possibly piercing the front of that tank. Perhaps your using 4-40 T-nuts/screws? If not; maybe cut a piece of 1/8" birch-ply for a firewall doubler?

Is it too late to re-orient the engine's backplate 90 degrees; facing the needle out the inboard side of the cowl.. and a more direct (and shorter) fuel-line install.. with the tank's feed-tube being right there? Would probably only require an inch of fuel-line in that configuration.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:59 am

Roddie, knowing Kim's meticulous modeling construction work, it would not surprise me that he has already worked the engine mounting details out to contain 2-56 to 4-40 screws and blind nuts, so the tank isn't penetrated. The reason for the forward mounting of the tank is so that the tank's outlet tubing sufficiently penetrates the firewall so there is sufficient length to mount the fuel line to. I've done that on various occasions on both CL and RC aircraft.

Those wedge tanks work great for simple RC (rudder only or rudder and elevator, no throttle), where one doesn't do extended inverted flight. Orient the wedge downward.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:20 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:

Roddie,

Those wedge tanks work great for simple RC (rudder only or rudder and elevator, no throttle), where one doesn't do extended inverted flight. Orient the wedge downward.

Good to know George. I bought several Perfect-brand wedges from Dan McEntee when he offered-up a bunch a few years ago. He also had some "Dr.'s Paper" (examination-table paper-covering) that he was experimenting with, in place of silkspan.  

It's nice to see a built-up fuse/framed-wing 1/2A C/L model being showcased.. especially a kit that was designed particularly for that class. Kim always has an interesting project in the works. His writings and photo/video-documentation make it that much more enjoyable to follow!

I scaled-down and built a 1/4A to 1/2A version of a fuse-assembly jig from RCM illustrations, after having built the full-size jig. I haven't used it yet.. but it's there for when I get into retirement model-building.. the Lord willing.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Rcm_fu12
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Rcm_fu13
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying Rcm_fu14
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Nice work Roddie, I've done built up fuselages before, but never to that detail of accuracy. They usually were straight by eyeball, but little quirks would show up here and there. I'd just do whatever minor adjustments were needed and once covered up, was more or less unnoticeable, just like the way carpenters build homes. Laughing
And by the way, excellent work on the self made postage stamp back motor mounts. Thumbs Up Leaves

Regarding retirement, once you are set, your weekdays become:

SATURDAY - SATURDAY - SATURDAY - SATURDAY - SATURDAY - SATURDAY - SUNDAY!

Q: How many retirees does it take to replace a light bulb?
A: One, but it might take him all day.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next