Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Today at 10:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Today at 10:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 4:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 4:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 4:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 2:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 1:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 12:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 12:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shocked Re: Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking

Post  NEW222 Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:45 pm

Well, a little update. The fuselage has now been assembled. The pylon was also just assembled tonight. All that is left to do with it is to cut out and glue on a firewall as the one supplied is not designed for a Cox engine, and the instructions on the plans state the size of firewall to make. So, once that is made and installed, hopefully tomorrow evening, I would like to try my best and sand the pylon so I can install it before the deepest of winter sets in here. Once installed, I can at least cover it. And also weather permitting, I may also attempt to get the tail sanded as well, but no guarantees on that one. Hopefully, it will all go well with balance and such, as I am now planning on powering this with a Golden Bee.....
Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 12817610
Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 12888810
Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 12933210
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Well, between other stuff and such, not much more progress has been done. I would definately like to get the engine pylon sanded to shape and fuselage sanded before the real winter sets in here so I can at least cover it while it is cold and ugly outside and also while we are on lockdown. After I get the engine pylon and fuselage sanded, my goal is to use a water based something and apply tissue to it all for a basecoat. This is one option to save on doping everything a few times followed by sanding and doping then color. My thought is that teh tissue will allow me to use only a coat or two of something to seal it before painting. But I have some reading to do on this subject now.... Anyways here it is as it now sits. I would like to do more, but the wing and tail do require more and more careful sanding which I am not fond of doing in the winter.
Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 12993510
Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 13021010
Carl Goldberg Hi Thrust Viking - Page 2 13072310
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:44 am

Looking Good man , have you ran that golden bee ? And let me ask why do the Leading and trailing edges stick out from the rib / frame ? is it to bee sanded ? never seen this before unless scharch built . Computer Issues
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:36 am

Hey again. Yes, I did run the Golden Bee and it is a very nice mild mannered runner! I do wholeheartedly plan on it being up on the nose, but the final assembly will dictate that depending on balance. As for the leading and trailing edges, yes, they are to be cut off and sanded. I just cut them near their centers and joined them as per the plan, and left the outer edges to cut and sand later. The centers of bothe wing panels were also like that but had to cut them to join them. Also, sure I was a bit lazy to cut them off too... Laughing
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 pm

Well, better late than never. So after I was questioned in my thread on another forum about this plane, I had as I said in another topic got off my butt here to go do some sanding.

OMG! I now have much more respect for the old timers that had built these planes back in the day, and the quality of their work. I just did as I said and went out to sand the tail surfaces of the Viking. Now I cannot say for sure if the wood has dried over the years, but I now know and understand a hand plane would definately be a big help in sanding for covering! Think square LE! Next time I will use it on the wing LE, thats for sure. The wing is just big, and I am already dreading it after the tail..... But I guess it has to be done. Maybe tomorrow.....

I would post pictures, but really, nothing has changed other than the ends sticking out the ends as Eric pointed out above, and the block on the tips were sanded quite a bit away when sanding to shape. And the square LE is now tapered to the lower edge. While fine sanding, I nicked a couple of the rib tops making me go glue them back up, but it is minor.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2