Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Black Widow Question Cox_ba12

Black Widow Question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Black Widow Question Empty
Live on Patrol

Black Widow Question

Go down

Black Widow Question Empty Black Widow Question

Post  NEW222 Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:43 pm

So just a quick Black Widow engine question. Does anyone know when they came with a round brass driveplate, and thick walled cylinders? Outwards they appear the same other than one silver spinner, and the other a red anodized spinner. More curious as I had thought the brass driveplates were used in 'pusher' models. They haven't been used in some time, so will have to wait till they arrive before cleaning up. Bonus is the TD! Hopefully it will be a better year for me actually going out flying! Got a bunch of new things to take to the air!
Black Widow Question Cox_en10
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Black Widow Question Empty Re: Black Widow Question

Post  Ken Cook Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:22 pm

I will say from personal experience that in 1986 I purchased a Black Widow similar to the engine on the left. The following year in late 1987 is when it was a crap shoot whether or not you still received a metal backplate or plastic. This seemed to be the situation into 1988 where anything went out the door to utilize all old stock prior to the newer designs.  The round driveplate was still being used up to that year. This was based on purchases from Tower Hobbies in which ran frequent sales of these engines. Towers also offered abundance overstock sales of certain items as well as scratch and dent. I was able to purchase many of the older Cox jewel case version engines such as Medallions and TD's for very little $$$$.

The red  spinners was a trademark of the Black Widow hence the red markings on the real spider. The earlier 73 stepped wall cylinders used a small red rubber spinner whereas the later Leisure Dynamics versions used the larger red rubber style. Eventually going to the red aluminum versions. The mill finish aluminum version spinners were offered in a Cox rebuild kit therefore it was very possible that your example was replaced with such.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 pm

Thanks Ken. It was more to figure out the small thick round brass driveplate. That is the most confusing part to me as I could not recall seeing one on a Black Widow before. Thanks again for the great info and timeline you provided.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 am

A bit irrelevant but some of my best running Black Widow engines were all from the 90's. I went downstairs to take a peek at NIB engines I have from the early 90's. All of them equipped with the hex drive washer and newer starting cam.  One new Leisure Dynamics Black Widow from I'm guessing 1979-80 had the brass drive washer as yours does but it's cylinder was a slitted cylinder like a Sure Start. It has dual ports but no transfer ports and it used a red plastic cam starter with the round drive washer.

Longevity wasn't there on the 90's versions but man did they work well.The thick walled cylinders were open in the exhaust outlet with the dual boost ports which  didn't utilize the transfer ports like the newer Sure Starts or TD's. I can't confirm this but it also may have been the fuel I was running which was K&B 1000. No fuel made any of my engines run like the 1000 did.  The smell was also the best. I can still remember the sweetness. I was also using Missile Mist from Fox. The purple dye however was signature to Missile Mist and it wouldn't come off easily. If on your shoes or clothes, forget it .  Cox fuels were more difficult to obtain as the hobby shops only carried a few pints and for the cost made it impractical to purchase.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 am

Good information Ken , Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. I have a few around but can't remember at this time if i have ran one Rolling Eyes I have one mounted on a combat kitten but i think i put that on there after i had tried a mat release and was not pulling away as it should.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:45 am

Thanks again Ken for your time and help. I was just curious as to timeline and authenticity, so now I do have something to go by. Now only time and distance seperate me from it. It is in the hands of the postal system now.... My porky Minnie Mambo may just be a good candidate for a power upgrade.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down