Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Better fill up NOW

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Empty Re: Better fill up NOW

Post  OhBee Fri May 14, 2021 5:41 pm

The worst part of that movie was the death of the Charger!.....
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Our Finland boy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy It's all the same no matter were your from lol!     Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo Yea I know you were here too
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 14, 2021 6:25 pm

OhBee wrote:The worst part of that movie was the death of the Charger!.....

That's something that I haven't been able to nail down. Bet they airborned a made-up clone instead of risking the real thing. Maybe a Pontiac Aztek the most explosion worthy car/thing that I can think of.

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 2002-010

But, Hollywood, ya never know.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat May 15, 2021 1:53 am

rsv1cox wrote:Maybe a Pontiac Aztek the most explosion worthy car/thing that I can think of.  

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 2002-010

But, Hollywood, ya never know.  

I agree. Can even throw in the Chrysler Pacifica in the same mix....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat May 15, 2021 2:42 am

getback wrote:  This one !! Very Happy
Check out the axle tramp on the Mustang as he reverses. 1 minute mark.
Also, seems there are a number of identical green Beetles in SF. Shows up more than once. Probably a little like the chase scene from The Blues Brothers. The same scene shot from multiple different angles does well to stretch out the chase.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 15, 2021 8:15 am

I seen that looked like a dragster taking off , You can see the tire bend / flex Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Empty Better fill up NOW

Post  Eddy Sat May 15, 2021 6:33 pm

In the video that, "old engine rod" posted, at the 2:04 mark, the mustang, when bottoming from the jump, actually ripped the oil pan open from that jump. The oil spray can clearly be seen, as to an article of the time from, The real truth behind the Bullitt chase scene. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun May 16, 2021 2:47 am

Also the Charger lost about 6 or 7 hubcaps during the chase lol!

I guess there were not many actual jumps done, but just the same thing filmed from different angles. At one point the charger hits a parked white car (and almost the camera), but that was not shown from any other angle, probably because it was not planned.

But this scene is ”the real thing”, it was one of the first of its kind, filmed in an actual environment and pretty much set the standard for the future chase scenes. Quite realistic too, just look at officer Bullitt working that steering wheel Shocked Not an easy to drive car, that Mustang.

Also the ”suspense” before the actual chase started, with the music and all...wow. Seat belt buckle going ”click” - cue the kick-down Cool

If you can bear to watch some of the ”Fast and Furious” movies (where they wreck Chargers by the dozen), the boys drive much faster with one hand on the wheel, half of the time looking at their girlfriend sitting on the passenger seat, talking about the importance of ”the family”. Or talking on the CB. Plus they have manual gearboxes with about 67 speeds lol! But that’s just BS in my opinion, I could watch the Bullitt chase over and over all night Smoking
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 am

went out to the store down the rd. and they have gas it's 299.9 Have a nice day Doh!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 16, 2021 6:52 am

KariFS wrote:Also the Charger lost about 6 or 7 hubcaps during the chase lol!

I guess there were not many actual jumps done, but just the same thing filmed from different angles. At one point the charger hits a parked white car (and almost the camera), but that was not shown from any other angle, probably because it was not planned.

But this scene is ”the real thing”, it was one of the first of its kind, filmed in an actual environment and pretty much set the standard for the future chase scenes. Quite realistic too, just look at officer Bullitt working that steering wheel Shocked Not an easy to drive car, that Mustang.

Also the ”suspense” before the actual chase started, with the music and all...wow. Seat belt buckle going ”click” - cue the kick-down Cool

If you can bear to watch some of the ”Fast and Furious” movies (where they wreck Chargers by the dozen), the boys drive much faster with one hand on the wheel, half of the time looking at their girlfriend sitting on the passenger seat, talking about the importance of ”the family”. Or talking on the CB. Plus they have manual gearboxes with about 67 speeds lol! But that’s just BS in my opinion, I could watch the Bullitt chase over and over all night Smoking

From my brain to your keyboard Kari, I could have written the whole thing.  My feelings exactly.

I'm making a pre-judgement here without actually seeing them, but I have never watched  "Fast and Furious" or "Gone in 60 Seconds" or their ilk either.  Children's movies I call them, excitement without a real purpose.  In Bullitt there was a purpose, get the bad guys and it was so over the top well done.  Not just burn-outs and speed for their sake.  I love speed and have always owned fast cars, my then new 1993 BMWis was a good example if speeding tickets is a criteria. But I never did a burnout or a donut in it.  It was a beautiful driving car but my present Nissan 350Z will out run it in every category.

The chase scene in Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" is a keeper too.  The bad guys loading a drunk Cary Grant into a classic Mercedes Benz with the intent of him going over a cliff is another example, speed with a purpose combined with comic relief.  Eva Marie Saint ain't bad either.  

Still no gas here in WV Eric, Maybe it's working it way up the coast.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun May 16, 2021 10:14 am

Bullitt chase scene set the bar so high none have matched it yet. Many have tried. To nitpick the flaws seems petty. Even the sound was good.

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Bullet10

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Charge10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Some stupidest for Bob
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 16, 2021 1:33 pm

getback wrote:Some stupidest for Bob

Ha! Kiddie car stuff. Now this is the real thing. BTW - It's a classic.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vanishing+point+movie&docid=608009722436063273&mid=BCA58E8BAB22E04B42A1BCA58E8BAB22E04B42A1&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 16, 2021 6:05 pm

OK OK not bad But ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 pm

Adequate. Smile  But tennie boppers???????  

Bullitt is on at 8 PM (5-17-21) tonight on TCM......

Introductions by the host, usually Ben Mankiewicz are very good and offer incite into the movies origins.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 pm

crankbndr wrote:Bullitt chase scene set the bar so high none have matched it yet. Many have tried. To nitpick the flaws seems petty. Even the sound was good.

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Bullet10

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Charge10

Hey Doug, When I was in middle (Jr. High) school circa 1972-74.. our principal; Mr. "Henry C. Beane" had the entire student-body (unannounced) file into the school's auditorium, where "Bullitt" was shown (full-feature) on a BIG-screen. That was almost 50 years ago.. and I can still remember the thrill like it was yesterday!!! The movie was only 4-5 years old at the time.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 pm

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is my favorite car movie.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Better fill up NOW  - Page 2 Empty Better fill up NOW

Post  Eddy Mon May 17, 2021 7:58 pm

Thanks rsv. I have my own, VHS Warner Bros tape copy. It has the first 1/2 hour showing many different camera angles of the chase scene that is not in the movie. Bill Hickman, the driver of the Charger, is shown talking with Steve McQueen, given him "Steve," tips and pointers on driving the Mustang. Much back ground info that is not first hand info, as to the movie filming, is shown here. Some interesting info on some of the actors from the movie, Bullitt.
Robert Vaughn, born 1932, who played the part of Chalmers, also had a great role in, The Man from U.N.C.L E. as Napoleon Solo, from the 1964 to 1968, Vaughn passed away in 2016.
Jacqueline Bisset, born 1944, is still making movies and is still looking good for her age.
Steve McQueen, born 1930, he left us in 1980. He actually turned down the roll for the first Dirty Harry movie. The part then went on to the great: Make my
day, Clint Eastwood.
Don Gordon, born 1926, played the part of Delgetti, he went on to many other movie parts over the years. Don left us in 2017.
Robert Duvall, born 1931, what can you not say about him, is still making movies.
Simon Oakland, born 1915, played the part of Captain Bennet, Bullitt's supervisor, he left us in 1983.
Norman Fell, born 1924, played the part of Baker, had a long movie career, and left us in 1998.
George Stanford Brown, born 1943, played the part of Dr, Willard, quit hollywood in the early 2000.
Justin Tarr, born 1940, played the part of Eddy, with the yellow sun glasses. He gave Frank Bullitt information, out in front of the strip club. He had a part in
the series, The Rat Patrol, 1966 to 1968, he left us in 2012
Carl Reindel, born 1935, played the part of Stanton, he was shot gunned in the hotel room. He made a few more movies, quitting in 1980, he left us in 2009.
Felice Orlandi, born 1924, played the part of Renick, he made a few more movies, he left us in 2003.
Pat Renella, born 1929, played the part of Johnny Ross, made a few more movies, he left us in 2012.
Paul Genge, born 1913, played the part of Mike, the man in the long trench coat, and carried the shot gun, that Frank Bullitt chased in the hospital
basement, he left us in 1988.
Finally, Bill Hickman, born 1921, was the charger driver and all around stunt driver. Was in many unaccredited TV shows and movies, he never got his just
due, he left us in 1986.
Many here share my opinion as to the greatness of this movie as a whole. Several years ago, the rights to make a modern day sequel to this: Bulllitt movie,
was ok'd, but nothing came of it. Like some of the great movies of the past, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca and others like these. They should be left alone
and just enjoyed, as from a time period that one can never go back to and improve on. Eddy

Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue May 18, 2021 6:32 am

I watched the TCM broadcast last night, wasn't Ben Mankiewicz that did the introduction, but Dave Karger.  

Thanks for the rundown Eddy, I always thought that the same actor played both Ross and Renick, they looked so much alike. Looks like they did trash a Charger in the explosion scene, probably one of the more beat-up examples, then cut to a set.

Robert Duval, a great actor.  I first saw him in "To Kill a Mockingbird" based on Harper Lee's book.  Lot's of movies since then and a television series - Lonesome Dove.  Interesting that the stunt driver was Bill Hickman.  I'm more familiar with the Joie Chitwood family of stunt drivers, some of their TV/movie shows were spectacular.  I just sold one of my Cox Mercedes tether cars to Joie Jr. Chitwood.

https://joiechitwoodscollectibles.com/about-us/

Edit add: Significant cars besides the Chargers, Mustangs. Green and blue Beetles, lot's of early mid 60's Chevys, girlfriends Porsche 356C, Austin Healey 3000, but the winner was the 1937 Packard (my grandfather had one) early in the movie parked in front of the apartment house.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue May 18, 2021 7:02 am

Zippin through my 600+ ---but nothing worth watching DIRECTV--- last nigh stopped at Bullitt in time to see most of the high speed chase......hard to realize this is a 53+/- year old movie that I saw only once ....when it came out.... at a outdoor theater.

Because of this thread I was intrigued by how it was filmed and started counting how many beetles were in the scenes many just different angles .....fun watching
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue May 18, 2021 3:45 pm

Fred I was equally intrigued and watched Bullit on Netflix yesterday and had a great time....Steve McQueen was a fantastic bad boy character as he proved it in the Papillon and the Great Escape too.. Too bad he died a young man at the age of only 50.

I visited San Francisco twice in my life but while watching Bullit I just realized again this is my favorite US West Coast city...well maybe together with San Diego...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed May 19, 2021 12:17 am

Here’s a pretty good ”breakdown” about the chase I found the other day. Really shows what a huge undertaking it was to make a 10 minute action scene.

The famous green Beetle, and the white Pontiac many of us spotted a couple of times were ”safety cars”, assisting traffic control. Also there were traffic cops in just about every street corner.  

Towards the end of this film, they show how the final crash was done, took some slick engineering from the crew and some ballsy driving!

Shame about the Charger, but it was a ”current” car at the time after all, not a beloved 50-year Classic. The all-black Charger has just the right look for the ”bad guys shadowing vehicle”, hard to imagine a better ”actor” for this role. They did wreck a couple of them, and a couple of those Mustangs too.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2