Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Cox_ba12

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Carl Goldberg Shoestring
by NEW222 Yesterday at 9:22 pm

» Tank Cleaning and an Old Rant from my Youth
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Designing a Tee Dee RC carb
by dckrsn Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» COX 049 Product Engine '76 - type confirm .
by balogh Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Home made fuel nipple for COX Tee Dee RC carb
by balogh Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» Contest - Contest - Contest
by Admin Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» COX TeeDee09 RC in flight with the Cosmic Wind
by balogh Yesterday at 12:16 pm

» Fall S.M.A.L.L. Friday
by Kim Yesterday at 10:33 am

» Big Brother
by NEW222 Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:18 pm

» Cox Engine Stories
by rsv1cox Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:39 am

» It's raining Cox engines
by rsv1cox Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:19 am

» Simple Baby Ringmaster build
by MauricioB Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2021
MauricioB's

"Babe Bee .049 r/c"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Empty

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of?

Go down

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Empty New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of?

Post  sosam117 Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:53 pm

I was intrigued by the Enya 35-4C and 40-4C open rocker engines.
Every time one would go up “For Sale”, I was either too late and it was already sold or it was priced pretty high.

So, I decided to build my own, new in the box Enya 35-4C and 40-4C engines.
I was able to download an operating instructions manual (on line) of the 35-4c, 40-4C.

On the operating instructions manual, it has a parts listing for all of the parts for the engine.
I compared the parts of the 35-4C to the 40-4C engine.

These are the parts that are different:
Cylinder head, Crank case, Cylinder liner & piston, Piston ring, and Piston pin.

All of the other parts are the same.
So, I ordered, from Ken Enya, a quantity of 4 parts of all the engine parts that were the same and quantity of 2 parts for the engine parts that were for either the 35-4C or the 40-4C engines.
Ken Enya gave me a list of the parts that he had available and the parts that were not.

I then went to the MECOA website to try to acquire the parts that Ken Enya didn’t have.
Of course, Ken didn’t have the cylinder liners and pistons and piston rings, no exhaust pipe, two front housings and one each (35-4C and 40-4C) of the crank case housings. Ken had everything else.

I ordered from Ken, four boxes for the four engines, four extra tool kits, and four operating instructions manual (in English).

At MECOA, I got the two front housing (without ball bearings -- purchased the ball bearings from Boca Bearings.), two cylinder liners, pistons and piston rings for the 40-4C and two cylinder liners and pistons for the 35-4C and only one exhaust pipe that MECOA had “in stock”. (bummer)
I needed “four” exhaust pipes total!

I’ll worry about what to do with the three exhaust pipes later.

So, everything shows up and I partition all the parts into separate tubs for each engine. 59 piece parts for each engine. I bagged them up into their respected groups: carburetor parts, intake side parts, exhaust side parts, gearbox parts, and so on.
Using the diagram from the 35-4C and 40-4C operating instructions manual and the parts listing.
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Group_10

I started to assemble each engine.
The only tough thing was getting the timing correct and lining up the notch on the timing gear shaft correctly to the dot on the inlet and exhaust cam shafts and the other thing I worried about was losing those super tiny valve cotters to retain the valves. Those were buggers to get into position and almost lost them too many times to count!

While assembling, I use my trusty (low Nm) torque driver to get the correct torque on each bolt correctly. Info. I was able to get from Ken, especially for the cylinder head screws. If you over tighten them, you’ll distort the top of the cylinder and the piston will bind when it reaches TDC. Especially on the Enya 35-4C engine.
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Torque10

Well, I’m down to assembling my last engine. But before I started to finish up the last engine, I had to address the problem of the exhaust pipe, which Ken Enya had none and MECOA only had one available. So, I made my own from brass. Copying them from the one I got from MECOA.
I made a brass collet to fit into the engine head which is 10mm in diameter on the outside. And I drilled a 6mm hole in the center of the collet to accept the 6mm brass tubing that I bent.
The one exhaust pipe I got from MECOA, the o.d. that went into the head was 10mm and the pipe section was 6mm o.d. So, I drilled a 6mm I.D. into the brass collet that fits into the cylinder head. Then I bent a 6mm o.d. brass tubing close to what the original exhaust pipe bend is and silver soldered the pipe to the brass collet.
I made a few extras; just in case they didn’t look very good? Then I polished them up for the final touch.
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? 01_exh10
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? 02_exh10
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? 02_ext10

Though my exhaust pipes are not chrome plated, they look just as good on the engine!
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? 01_exh12
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? 02_exh12

So, onto building up the last engine.
Which I finished building up this morning (8/31/21).
Adjusted the valve/ lifter gap (along with the other ones.) and now ready for it’s “new” box.
I’ll have now two NIB/completed Enya 35-4C and two NIB/complete Enya 40-4C.

And after breaking down the cost of the parts and parts shipping, each engine comes to about $368.43 each.
None of my labor included. About a couple hours per engine. Last engine took an hour to build.
I’m getting better (faster) assembling these engines.

I also sonic cleaned all the parts before assemble to remove any dirt/grime and machining chips and used Turbo oil (free of paraffin wax) during assembly and of course all new gaskets.

I did the small detailed work like removing burrs around the threaded holes (chamfer), used my diamond lapping table to get the mating surfaces flatter and remove the machining marks from the mating surface. It also reduces the possible oil leakage even when a (paper) gasket is used. I did what some would say "blue printed" these engines?

I don’t think Enya could have assembled these engines any better?

The last built engine with the other engines in their respected boxes.
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? 02_com10

All four Completed engines:
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Img_0096
New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Img_0097

Last edited by sosam117 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Empty Re: New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of?

Post  balogh Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:10 pm

Excellent job Sosam...I have 2 OS MAX 56FS alfa engines that I fly in my Denight50 beauty...4 stroke engines are great. With the open rocker on Enya how is the lubrication of the rockers ensured?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Empty Re: New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of?

Post  sosam117 Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:39 pm

@balogh wrote:Excellent job Sosam...I have 2 OS MAX 56FS alfa engines that I fly in my Denight50 beauty...4 stroke engines are great. With the open rocker on Enya how is the lubrication of the rockers ensured?

Here is what it says under the heading "Maintenance" on the Operating Instructions Manual says:
1.) Supply a small amount of oil sometimes around the valves and rockers.
2.) Do not screw up the cylinder head of the 35-4C too tightly to avoid the deformation of the liner.
When you find that the movement of the piston at the top dead center becomes unsmooth,
loosen the screws of the cylinder head and screw them up once more alternately and carefully.

That is why I used a torque driver and asked Ken Enya what the torque was used on those screws when originally assembled by Enya.
And the torque is not much at all. It is about 0.3Nm

3.)
It is unusually needless to supply any oil to the inner mechanism, because the oil contained in the fuel lubricates all of the inner parts.

So there you are balogh, a little drop of oil once in a while to lube thing up, but you'll have to remove the head once in a while to clean it and remove the accumulating dirt on the open parts. Valves, springs rockers, push rods, and tappets. (upper parts)
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:53 pm

I know I ran into head installation issues with the 41-4CD (diesel), but even factory assembled, the piston bound up at TDC. Carefully tightening the bolts while checking for binding eventually resulted in a tight head with no binding. It wasn't an actual torque value or order that made this possible, but checking that there was no binding after each incremental tightening. I know some people ran the 41-4CD with pistons so tight they creaked, hoping they would break in. I wrote to Enya about the issue and never got a reply. I guess as the 35-4C is ringless, it has the same issue and preceded the diesels by 30 or so years. This has to do with the design of the cylinder flange.

Four new old engines "born" 40 years after the release dates is pretty cool. I'm not sure I could justify the price, NIB often sell for less. I found a 40-4C at a swap a few year back. Don't know that I'll ever to anything with it.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 am

@gkamysz wrote:I know I ran into head installation issues with the 41-4CD (diesel), but even factory assembled, the piston bound up at TDC. Carefully tightening the bolts while checking for binding eventually resulted in a tight head with no binding. It wasn't an actual torque value or order that made this possible, but checking that there was no binding after each incremental tightening. I know some people ran the 41-4CD with pistons so tight they creaked, hoping they would break in. I wrote to Enya about the issue and never got a reply. I guess as the 35-4C is ringless, it has the same issue and preceded the diesels by 30 or so years. This has to do with the design of the cylinder flange.

Four new old engines "born" 40 years after the release dates is pretty cool. I'm not sure I could justify the price, NIB often sell for less. I found a 40-4C at a swap a few year back. Don't know that I'll ever to anything with it.

I have one each of the 36-4C diesel and 41-4C diesel that I purchased "new" from Enya back in 2009.
Missed out on getting the glow versions. Though I like diesel engines better, but wished Enya mad the 4-stroke with a compression screw for adjustments?
What I found interesting when I got the 4-stroke diesels that the top end of the engine was not assembled onto the engine and Enya left that for the purchaser to assemble that part of the engine when you removed it from the box. Another thing I found interesting was there was no feeler gages in the tool kits in the diesel engines I purchased like the other 4-stroke Enya engines I have to adjust the clearance properly after you assembled the top end on the diesels? Does your Eyna 4-stroke diesel have the 0.05mm feeler gage in the tool kit?

As for the tightness of the heads on the 35-4C, 40-4C, 36-4C (diesel), and 41-4C (diesel) they all have the same condition on tightening the screws on the heads. too much and it gets real tight at TDC. The head bolts should not be tighter than .3Nm and tightened in a cross pattern starting with the bolt at the back of the engine, under the rocker arms, then going clockwise skip the next bolt, then tighten down the the next, skip a bolt, then tighten down the next, then tighten the next bolt without skipping, skip the next bolt (which should have been the bolt under the rocker arms - back end of the engine which you started with), tighten the next bolt, skip the next bolt, and tighten the last bolt at the front of the engine.
Each bolt should be tightened a little at a time and not screwed down tight all the way. The "if" you have a torque driver, set it to .3Nm (it should also be calibrated as well to get the correct torque) and torque the bolts in the same manor as above.
Done correctly, when the piston reaches TDC it should be a little tight but not so tight that, as you said "squeaks". If it squeaks, it is too tight. It should have a little tightness being an ABC type engine the top end will expand when the engine is running.

A friend verified this by heating his engine with a heat gun to see if at TDC it was expanding.
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:41 pm

What a great way to get the 4 Enya engines you wanted. That's some beautiful exhaust pipes you made too.

I have never run Enya 4 strokes but always like the looks and I bought an Enya R-120 back in the day. It was suppose to go in a Super Sportster 90/120 that I also bought new. Well it never came to be and the R-120 sits partially dissembled but still new and never having run, and the Supper Sportster got built by me and finished by my buddy as an electric. So a plane that was suppose to have a gnarly bad ass power house of an engine on the nose that growled like a tiger now has a possibly even more powerful electric motor on the nose but just purrs like a pussy cat. Oh well. Sad

Oh!.. I have a new .46 (I think) 4 stroke in my closet, but it might be a Saito.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? Empty Website for dykes rings

Post  sosam117 Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:41 pm

One thing I need to add when building my Enya 40-4C 4 stroke engines.

When I was looking for the dykes rings for the Enya 40-4C engine, Enya engines and MECOA didn't have them.
Sold out or not longer had any.

I did a google search, and after a lot of looking at sites that sell dykes ring, I came across this site:
https://rmjmachineworx.com/online-store/ols/all   --- formerly Bowman rings.

They have pretty much any dykes rings for any engine (big or small)
If you are looking for dykes rings for OS engines, Saito, Enya, YS, Fox, Webra, Thunder Tiger, RCV, McCoy, etc.
The have them.

If I had not found this site, my Enya 40-4C could not have been completed!

New Open Rocker Enya 35-4C and 40-4-C or What the heck was I think of? 04_com10
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm

I've used the rings that Bjorn has made and I have had mixed results. I had a engine that was eating them. Gavin Carter of the UK took care of that for me and made a beautiful set of rings for my Doolings.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 am

@Ken Cook wrote:             I've used the rings that Bjorn has made and I have had mixed results. I had a engine that was eating them. Gavin Carter of the UK took care of that for me and made a beautiful set of rings for my Doolings.

Gavin Carter doesn't have much in his eBay store. You have to special order the rings you want (for my Enya)
Thanks,
sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:18 am

That's interesting!.. I didn't realize they used dykes rings in 4 strokes.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Quality work! I admire your resolve in collecting and reworking these Enya engines.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:57 pm

@rsv1cox wrote:Quality work!  I admire your resolve in collecting and reworking these Enya engines.  

Bob

When I have all of my Enya remanufactured (like new) I'll start posting more photos.
Have close to 300 Enya engines total, from the Enya .049 to the Enya 90-4C 4 stroke.
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:23 pm

I seem to remember ENYA mad a V-twin 4 stroke also. I wanna say it was the VT-240. 2.4 cu. in.

I have an ENYA R-120 4 stroke still in box and never run. that was the king of the 120's for power and speed back in the day.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:28 am

@FlipStart wrote:I seem to remember ENYA mad a V-twin 4 stroke also. I wanna say it was the VT-240. 2.4 cu. in.

I have an ENYA R-120 4 stroke still in box and never run. that was the king of the 120's for power and speed back in the day.

Any of the Enya engines over the 90-4C was out of my price range back then.
The 80-4C and 90-4C for me was pricy as it was.
Both the 80-4C and 90-4C are still in their boxes (new). Never wanted to fly a big plane to put them in?
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:18 am

As soon as we talk about enya it catches my attention whether it's 4 or 2 stroke its Good The link for the rings I could order a set for my old k & b .40 Any link for parts will be appreciated In the past I missed out on a very good deal on a 4-stroke engine but no model to use it I wasn't sure what to use it on But I must say that the sound of a 4 stroke engine is very interesting to hear at high revs I would like one day to find the smallest possible 3 cylinder 4 stroke engine. I'll build him a beautiful warplane RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum