Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1/2 A Combat Wings Cox_ba12

1/2 A Combat Wings Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1/2 A Combat Wings Empty
Live on Patrol

1/2 A Combat Wings

Go down

1/2 A Combat Wings Empty 1/2 A Combat Wings

Post  Yabby Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:19 pm

When I was young between 12 and 16 I used to fly lots of cox powered planes I made from balsa of my own design and I also had an Enya 2.5cc Glow and a Taipan 2.5cc Glow gold head with ballbearings and rear tuned pipe that went like the proverbial.......... wish I had it now. Oh well. I used to build from plans Dominator and Liquidator wings that I flew with my 2.5cc glow engines in combat in the local park with the other local kids.

I have been watching and seeing some half/A combat wings on the forum and have never built or flown a half/A combat wing. im curious as to what people think of them and their different experience with them. I would expect to power one with an 049 TD on pressure that I know runs really well. I would like to be able to fly on at least 42 foot lines so I have enough Sky to build up speed for my power dives into the ground lol! I also am after easy simple, cheap, build with as few parts as possible that I can build from available free plans.

I have seen the Combat Kittens, Little Snip, Little Satan, Samauri. They all look a little bit on the big side of an 049 TD to me. Many plans are not much bigger to take 1.5CC - 2.5CC engines. The little Snip looks the best go for me and maybe if I build it very light it will be Ok. Or just reduce the wingspan a bit further. I dont mind the diamond shaped ribs, Ive heard it makes them twitchy, but Im not bothered by twitchy controls. Sometimes I reckon speed bleeds the twitchy away. The Snip looks quick and easy to build.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

1/2 A Combat Wings Empty Re: 1/2 A Combat Wings

Post  av8rdav Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 pm

I have built a dozen Little Satans from scratch. I even scaled down the plans and built a .020  Little Satan. Not sure if or how well it might fly.
1/2 A Combat Wings 20210910
1/2 A Combat Wings 20210911
av8rdav
av8rdav
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:44 am

Thanks avr8dav Thumbs Up The planes look great, thats a lot of work building and covering a dozen. Im nearly finished a Lil snip, but think I will build a Lil Satan for an 049 TD straight after and then I can have a go at both. the snip was a pretty easy build for a built up wing. How did you find the Lil Satan to Build? and have you flown one with an 049 yet? Im interested in how you found it. Beer Cheers Clapping

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:09 am

Yabby the plans are on OZ with a search there is alot of info on the forum .> https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=Lil+Satan search https://www.coxengineforum.com/search?search_keywords=+Lil+Satan
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:27 pm

I’ve flown a Li’l Satan on pressure with a TD. It’s very quick. Not sure if 42’ lines quick, but probably.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 pm

Love the TD .020 Satan BTW.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:21 pm

That .020 Satan cracks me up! I'd love to see the flight video. My hat is off to anyone who builds that prolifically!

Also note that FlyingLines.org has a Widow Satan...a Lil Satan clone with a few changes that make it easier to replicate/build. Oh, and all the templates are.on the post there. There really isn't much plane...so there isn't much that can be improved upon. I only mention that there is an option. It is in my Avatar at the moment. It wound up going to another member here.

http://flyinglines.org/kb.widosatan.html

30D41_Jim
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:52 pm

There are some more modern 1/2A combat planes made in Russia that are much like the FAI F2D planes which are my favourites, even though they are a bit above my skill level. They are fairly cheap and already finished and covered for about $35? They can usually take a ground hit and come out OK. There is a foam one from the US too. If you make a Satan with a tank keep in mind where the tank goes compared to the carb, I think that is a design flaw. A bladder is fine though.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I’ve flown a Li’l Satan on pressure with a TD. It’s very quick. Not sure if 42’ lines quick, but probably.

lol! Youve got me sussed out Cribbs74 lol! Im kinda ok with line tension sometimes not being great at times. the planes often fly out of it if you dont panick. Lol. And then sometimes they dont. cheers Thumbs Up You can do some great improvised stunts when your lines go slack on windy days. Ones you just cant do otherwise. HaHaHa.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  av8rdav Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:30 pm

Yabby wrote:Thanks avr8dav Thumbs Up The planes look great, thats a lot of work building and covering a dozen. Im nearly finished a Lil snip, but think I will build a Lil Satan for an 049 TD straight after and then I can have a go at both. the snip was a pretty easy build for a built up wing. How did you find the Lil Satan to Build? and have you flown one with an 049 yet? Im interested in how you found it. Beer Cheers Clapping

Yabby

Sorry I'm 2 years after your post.

I had 2 Goldberg lil satan kits in my possession. I bought them from a local hobby shop when I was a kid. Circa 1984. I also bought a Brodak lil satan kit. I used the Goldberg kits as templates and made a bunch of parts using the original kit. I still have a couple sets of, original, very nice condition plans.
The first time I flew one was when I was a kid in 1984 or 85. It was the Goldberg kit and I used a Cox Black Widow engine with a 3 bladed Cox prop and 3 bladed spinner from a Cox P-51 kit called "Sweet Cindy". That thing flew like crap. lol. The P-51 that is. The lil satans flew great but only with the engine and prop combination I used. I tried 2 blade props and it didn't want to fly near as well as it did on 3 blades.
av8rdav
av8rdav
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:24 am

I'm finding it extremely difficult to believe that a 3 bladed prop works better on a Satan then a 2 blader. A Satan is a poor  flying plane to begin with. The wingspan is too narrow and the airfoil too thin. For those same reasons the Combat Kitten is superior to the Satan. A 3 bladed Cox prop is practically the equivalent as a 2 bladed 6x3 which is not exactly a good combination for a combat plane. You want that engine in 2nd gear not in 4th. In order to maneuver, it needs to drive through the maneuvers steadily. The plane was more than likely going fast in level flights and then when you enter the maneuvers, the speed is killed off slowing drastically. A decent Black Widow with a 5x3 is not going to be happy loaded down, it wants to run in it's happy rpm range. The Top Flite white nylon 5 1/4 x 3 was the prop of choice on the Satan. A Grish Tornado white 5x4 is probably the closest in terms of shape and blade size to the Top Flite. Sadly, neither is available. Nowadays, I use the APC 4.5 x 3.5. Even though my preference is to 3 pitch props, the APC has a very narrow blade area making it suitable for both reedies and TD's.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down