Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Which teedee will perform the best? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Which teedee will perform the best? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Which teedee will perform the best? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Which teedee will perform the best?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which teedee will perform the best? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which teedee will perform the best?

Post  davidll1984 Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:04 am

Hi hi I said to myself with the specifications of this engine and moreover the blue spiner inspired confidence in addition to being beautiful Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 I know my little engine well
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Which teedee will perform the best? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which teedee will perform the best?

Post  balogh Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:25 am

Very interesting test Layback, thanks for posting. I guess the engine spins the black 5x3 COX a bit slower than the APC, because this latter has narrower blades and better aerodynamic design. It would be interesting to see if the No2 engine also spins the APC as fast as the others do?

I see that all 4 engines are with thick wall cylinder i.e these are later production engines.

When COX collected operating experience and decided to further develop the old stock, first generation 051 TEE DEE, at least the following mods were introduced:

Changed the thin wall to stepped wall - and later, the thick wall cylinder to prevent cracks in the exhaust port corners

(Unfortunately) gave up the tapered cylinder bore sometime after the intro of stepped wall cylinder ( some of my NIB crystal box TeeDees with stepped wall have, others do not have tapered bore) to cut production cost

Replaced the white metal rod to a different steel and abandoned the oiling hole on the big end..again, for cutting production cost

Thickened  the crank web to increase its strength, necessitating the intro of a new crankcase geometry, marked by the "2" stamped on its left mounting beam

Changed the port timing on the crankshaft and/or on the cylinder too..

And my question refers to this last item, does anyone know how the porting between old stock and later production crankshafts compare?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:01 pm

Coxfledgling wrote:Nice shop and contents...

Is that an "atlas" lathe ?

Can you still get parts for them, if so, from where please ?

I have an old atlas which is worn but usable if you "work with it". I use it quite a bit for various stuff, a very handy machine.

Good eye it is indead an atlas 10f.  I'm currently fixing it up so it can be used again.  I ordered a miter slide from this gent as the t slot was cracked in mine.  He has a really good supply and pretty good prices.  Also makes some replacement parts as well. Your other option is to order from Clausing but it would be cheaper to buy another machine.

http://www.mymachineshop.net/category_s/55.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=55&show=100&page=2

Last edited by layback209 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:17 pm

balogh wrote:Very interesting test Layback, thanks for posting. I guess the engine spins the black 5x3 COX a bit slower than the APC, because this latter has narrower blades and better aerodynamic design. It would be interesting to see if the No2 engine also spins the APC as fast as the others do?

Thanks Balogh, very interesting. I'm going to keep my eye out for an earlier version, I'd like to compare it with the later ones that I have.  Definitely no oil holes on the rod bottom on these ones, I always wondered about that, makes sense to keep the price down.  It did look like they had a chamfer to help oil get in there.  

I'm very interested myself about #2.  I'd like to run them all again durring the summer here and try a few more things.  I did run the #1 back to back with APC and Black props.  I didn't notice much of an rpm difference.  Might need to fly them back to back, or make a thrust gauge to get some measurements.
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:51 am

Enjoyed the runs , yeah summer /spring weather would bee a lot better since most people don't fly in freezing conditions LOL Either way you know you got 4 good runners to use as you want Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:51 am

Flying in cold weather doesn't scare me, I even flew my ez bee in a storm of snow without the wind. And my little biplane, so as not to freeze my hands, I use a kind of big insulated bag for lunches. That I add small heating bags inside the bag has a hole in the bottom for the radio control antenna and With that good old hand warmer I manage to be comfortable flying for several minutes when I finish I look like a snowman Snowman lol! RC Plane Which teedee will perform the best? - Page 2 16425210
I must have a picturs of this somewhere my mother had taken a photo of me from very far from the balcony of the house I was in the middle of the frozen lake Good memory I miss this house best spot for flying rc plane clear A large empty space between two mountains behind a ski center I could hear the people Scream Sometimes horrified to believe even a plane in difficulty because I like to simulate a stall with the engine which makes misses Affraid or WOW! Airplane lol! Laughing
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm

There are so many things I have experienced or witnessed that never were photographed or video taped

David's hand warmer stirred a distant memory.

A Sunny winter morning after Christmas. Also after weeks of below zero, the temp was to be in the upper 30s for the day.

I had gotten a balsa flat wing SkyRay  a few weeks before and it was built and painted just hanging in my room.  

After dad's famous pancake breakfast he asked what us kids planed for the day...lounge around after chores doing basically nothing was the general answer. BS says he, we been cooped up the last three weekends how about I get some help shoveling the driveway and we can pull the Skidoo out and see if it will start...Some modest interest because we had fun on the single ski old Doo ..but the shoveling part was a bummer....

To sweeten the pot Dad said before we took turns on the Doo maybe Freddy can start and fly the SkyRay in the front yard....hummm...now that may be pretty cool as I had never flown over snow.

Could be funny seeing it land and disappear...heck yea! I am digging this idea so I asked dad if he even thought we could get it started in the cold...he said Dunno but why not see ---it was to be calm and way above the -20F that had us house bound for most of Minnesota January...We all knew from walking to school all winter that on -20~-25F with wind sucked--- and a week later at +25~38F we were sweating by the time we walked the 7 blocks to school.

My 2 younger brothers were jazzed as they though they might get to try to fly it too. Sister Elena would certainly cuddle up with Beast our Gordon Setter in front of the fireplace reading a Nancy Drew book she got from Santa

By the time the wide drive way was shoveled we were down to long sleeves and no gloves while dad fussed with the SkiDoo

So around 10 AM sunny, 35Ish and still dead calm and by sunny, I mean squinting Bright

As we finished up-- dad gave up on the skidoo (flywheel key had sheered but he didn't know that) it would not stay started and he was tired for spraying ether and pulling the hell out of the rope

Dad also flew CL but 35 sized Ringmasters... So he brought out his BIG lantern battery for us to use and he wrapped in in a shop rag with a Coleman hand warmer next to the Battery.

I rigged up the Dacron lines to 30 feet and set about getting the start area set up. Brothers prancing, dad holding, I got the Bee fired and tweaked to a high scream and headed to the handle...  The noise was way louder than I remembered...as I write this probably sounded louder because the calm day with 8 inches of new snow was dead quiet out

Dad takes my Hand signal to launch and off it went-- I got a few laps level and some roller coaster before I decided to do a loop or three. Fuel ran out and just as I had imagined, the plane settled in a pristine snow area and disappeared.

DAD was fast to tell my anxious brother to STOP do not run to find it...Told me to stand still as he walked around the flight path to where he saw it disappear and then slowly found the entry hole and the near invisible Dacron lines...snagged the lines and gently extracted to un hurt plane...Too cool

Several flights by my brothers later none very good but OK for first timers the plane had survived about 6 flights and Dad declared MY TURN we never noticed the sun getting dimmer or the clouds building.  As dad was starting the plane, me holding, it started to snow the big fluffy flakes and by the time dad had 2 laps it was snowing pretty hard but still no wind to bother the dinky light plane. Dad starting showing me lazy 8s as thing I had not master yet due to my fear of inverted... Was so damned cool watching my Orange doped SkyRay leaving a wake of disturbed large fluffy snow flakes... and when the engine cut the gliding plane dead silent and the world around us only sound was dads boot crunching the snow as he whipped the plane around to attempt landing on the drive way

Davis's hand warmer brought back this, now vivid to me and, un remembered until today-- fun Winter day with my Dad and brothers
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:17 pm

"COOL " Story and a great memory there Fred. Really like the part where the Skyray left a wake in the snowflakes, I can imagine that was fun day.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Great story Fred...I can imagine myself into it being young Fred enjoying the day and flights with a hobby sharing father and brothers...

Not having a hand warmer myself ir a helper to start the engine, I do not fly my RC COX planes below +5C because my un-gloved hands, already cooled by the prop and evaporating fuel when the engine is hand started begin to shiver and leave me unable to control the sticks..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2