Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Cox_ba12

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2021
MauricioB's

".049 Babe Bee "in action""

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Empty

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question

Go down

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Empty Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question

Post  layback209 Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Welp that online bidding place helped me exchange some funds for an awesome motor again.

Wow, the fit, finish and compression is really something, glad I bid on it.

I noticed the rectangular venturi insert is a fair bit wobbly, is this something that should be addressed before cranking it up? I can lift it up about say .5 off a mm and move side to side a bit. I'm wondering if it would be a wise idea to try and make a paper gasket between the crankcase opening and venturi lip to tighten it up, or just moto seal it in there?

Here she is; now I need to figure out what it should power lol.

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question 20211113
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Empty Re: Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm

One hundred percent necessary to address the wobble. I use gasket material under the flange. These engines came with two heads, one high compression, one low. Knowing what you have is important. In addition, the engine came with 3 venturi's. What number is on the venturi? It should be a 1, 2 or 3. It's quite small to see and it should be on the top. The engine looks very new. This are a pain in the @#$% to break in. They take forever to break in and just when your ready to throw it is about when it decides to run correctly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Empty Re: Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question

Post  layback209 Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:44 pm

@Ken Cook wrote:                    One hundred percent necessary to address the wobble. I use gasket material under the flange. These engines came with two heads, one high compression, one low. Knowing what you have is important. In addition, the engine came with 3 venturi's. What number is on the venturi? It should be a 1, 2 or 3. It's quite small to see and it should be on the top. The engine looks very new. This are a pain in the @#$% to break in. They take forever to break in and just when your ready to throw it is about when it decides to run correctly.

Thanks Ken, appreciate it. It has the number 2 venturi, I'm not sure which head is installed on it. It's definitely missing the other venturi sizes and one of the option heads. From the reading I've been doing about them made it sound like a real pain to run in.

I did come by a few other 29s a while back from a nice fellow but haven't touched them yet. I do have both head options from that lot. But also missing the square venturi options. They are a bit rough around the edges but perfect for me to tinker with. Really cool baffled tung muffler too a bit heavey though.

Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Img-3012
Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Img-3010
Enya 29-4 Rectangular Venturi question Img-3011

layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:11 am

Mecoa has the inserts #1 and #3 in stock. (Part Number: 29421 and Part Number: 29423)
They have the standard compression head in stock but are out of the high comp. head.
std low comp. head -- Part Number: 29401
High comp head maybe available from Ken Enya? (Part Number: E2357)
https://www.mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2

I have two of the Enya 35-III (square venturi).
Once broken in they are superb runners and will pull hard.

I think yours might be set up from the factory with the low comp. head as were my .35's
And yes, you are better off to use a paper gasket to seal up the wobble on the venturi.
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:23 am

One negative with these is the weight. If you use one on a older profile, they really taxi the nose for weight compared to period engines being approximately a ounce lighter. One issue I've had with them mostly the .35 is that if you don't use the 20% recommended oil content, it just shuts off like a switch was thrown.My standard stunt fuel is 22% oil and there are times it sounds as if I'm drowning it. My current .29 is the round venturi model and it does well. They tend to be able to swing a little more pitch than say a Fox or OS equivalent. The Enya's really don't like heat. Mufflers can be a problem.

If the front end comes loose or the gasket is leaking, the engine will immediately shut off. If shutting off is occurring, start there first. It's quite difficult to tighten the case screws with the needle valve assembly in the way. JIP screwdrivers are a must here.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:03 am

The .29, my favorite Enya engine and the first "big Boy" engine that I ever bought. It still sits on the nose of my Sterling Fledgling some 40 years later. Hours upon hours on it. I could go out there right now and properly prepared it would start on the first or second flip.

Essential reading for the Enya 5224 29's and 35's.

http://supercoolprops.com/articles/enya29.php

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks everyone This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum!

Ken I've also noticed that some of my enya engines hate the higher oil classic stunt blends.  Dropping to the manufacturers recommended 20% made big difference.  Yeah the weight is a bit to watch out for when building for sure.  May need to stretch some profiles a bit to keep things as intended and leave room for a tank.    

Thanks Sosam117, I had no idea you could get the other options anymore.  Saved this thread so I can reference the part numbers.  Awesome going with the paper gasket, time to fire up the old exacto knife.

Rsv1cox, really enjoyed reading that article, thanks. I now have a new found appreciation for the thinking behind the bathtub shaped crankcase matching with the crank valve opening cut out.  

Going to runs some omega 15%nitro topped up with castor in the near future.  I have a test plane I'd like to try the square and milder round throat intake 29s on.

Last edited by layback209 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:23 pm

Cut some extra gaskets so that you'll get a really good tight fit.
You don't want any air bleeding in from the venturi.

Best of luck!
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum