Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox scorpion ARF build! Cox_ba12

Cox scorpion ARF build! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the weather?
by HalfaDave Today at 12:02 pm

» Cox .35 and .40 in Nürnberg Toy Fair
by Levent Suberk Today at 11:57 am

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 11:39 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 11:23 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 10:59 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox scorpion ARF build! Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox scorpion ARF build!

Go down

Cox scorpion ARF build! Empty Cox scorpion ARF build!

Post  Lukemiester Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:14 pm

It’s been a little while since I was last online, but I’m back now and I’ll be posting around once a week (maybe more, idk yet- my life is way busy rn...) a few months ago I came across a really well priced tee dee 09 RC and happened to get a cox scorpion along with it!

Here’s the 1996 cox catalog for reference

Cox scorpion ARF build! 7ca3a410

That catalog has the few cox ARFs and the rare tee dee RCs
It has the killer bee and the venom is listed as well!
There’s a couple other rare-ish items as well
Anyways, really cool catalog that actually got me wanting the scorpion a few years back. I eventually semi forgot about it.
A few hours after scoring the engine ($150!!) I realized I needed a plane to use my new engine I finally obtained. I started looking at all sorts of sites and I couldn’t find any sport ARFs in an 09 size. I eventually found myself on eBay looking up ARFs in vain and whaddya know, the second listing is a cox scorpion.
The airplane I fell in love with about 5 years ago just cruising through that old cox catalog, sitting bored in the garage, daydreaming about having one of these unobtainable planes along with one of those super cool looking cox RC engines that always sell for way too much on eBay. I had the engine that I wanted, now it needed a plane, and here was my chance to get a plane I had wanted for quite a while, new in box, with an engine to match.
And it was exactly what I was looking for- an ARF sport plane at a good price and also happened to be red... that happened to be designed specifically for the tee dee 09 RC.

Until someone made an offer and the guy took it Head Bang

I of course was extremely disappointed, because I couldn’t find any others elsewhere and I now had an engine with nothing to use it for. So I do some research in my misery and somehow come across a site I never knew about called auctionzip that had a cox scorpion new in box.
Turns out it’s a site for auction houses to put listings on and for users to participate in live auctions. I did some research, and couldn’t figure it out, so I just called the auction house and asked the guy about the site and the airplane. I decided to just do a phone bid and the airplane was new in box, with some water damage on the box (it was only on the box, the plane turned out to be just fine). So on October 31st (2 weeks or so after I found out about it), I bid... and won the airplane

For $55 Very Happy

Yeah... someplace in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire- with apparently no one who’s interested (but probably no one or very very few who even knew of the auction happening, and or its contents) in the coolest cox stuff ever made- (in my opinion) they had a jerobee commando in the lot, sold for only $110 iirc... a tee dee rc 05 and an rc 09 that someone scored a great deal on as well. There were some other nice cox and other cool classic NIB or almost NIB model things in the lot too.
Would have been awesome to have been there in person.
Anyways we got the shipping figured out (cost more than the airplane itself...) and sent it down here to AZ.
Fast forward around 2 months and now we’re here. I was able to convince my parents to have this be my Christmas gift since he whole thing was so cheap and I opened them 8 days ago. Everything is in pretty darn good condition and I’m very excited to start. I already ordered all the parts, though I haven’t gotten any extra props yet. The parts are coming sometime next week and my sig order is coming later this month. I already received the spinner and radio switch, along with the receiver, batteries, and prop that I already had.
That will be all for this post... that was longer than expected bounce

I’ll do some work on it tomorrow and take pictures, not sure when I’ll show them though.
In the meantime, here’s some pictures of it in the box (out of the bags and disorganized because I was too excited to remember how it went Smile) and some other various pictures.
Enjoy

Cox scorpion ARF build! B164ff10
Cox scorpion ARF build! 99b0a610
Cox scorpion ARF build! Cfe0a610
Cox scorpion ARF build! Image16
Cox scorpion ARF build! Image17Cox scorpion ARF build! Image18

An interesting cheat sheet on the manual... maybe this was “pre assembled” by a hobby shop? Maybe by cox... who knows
Cox scorpion ARF build! Image19

These guys had quite the sense of humor, it seems
Cox scorpion ARF build! 424a2e10

And, last two images of the night, my 09 next to my 074, my two favorite “obtainable” cox engines, both with spinners as of 24 hours ago Very Happy
And a money shot with the new spinner
Cox scorpion ARF build! 69834710
Cox scorpion ARF build! 6e1afa10
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox scorpion ARF build! Empty Re: Cox scorpion ARF build!

Post  davidll1984 Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:35 am

Wow that's a find you got for an unbelievably low price I must say I am jealous a bit lets say justTo build it only with balsa it would cost more $ Than the price you have pay If I could find an arf for that ridiculous price Shocked I would like to give you a little trick with the .09 rc engine don't set it too lean Set the idle speed quite high My rc .9 engine a bit like with the queen bee Are engines easy to overheat Do not try to make it reach the maximum static rpm Before taking off .. once reached the max rpm reduce of 1000 turn To 1500 approximatif You will see it is a very capable very powerful engine for the size ... I found a promising rtf model To convert for a 049 cox engine a biplane of DW Hobby Tiger Moth ARF Electric Airplane Kit (800mm) From those days I would like to be able to fly one of my planes with skis But as soon as I have time, it's the temperature that stop me down Since my son was born I had fly that plane Only once with bad result du To a low power .15 sportsman I never finished m'y litle piler cub miss monica Rolling Eyes I should work on her for a bit RC Plane RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:15 am

Very good buy Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:04 am

Good to see you back and yes great deal on the plane and engine , going to bee time for some fun soon !! sunny cheers Clapping Clapping
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:50 am

Very cool project, looking forward to built plane Airplane Flying
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:20 pm

This model is new in 1995 I myself have an advertising flyers with this plane I also wanted at the time the red planeCox scorpion ARF build! Img_2259
Cox scorpion ARF build! Img_2258
At the time I could not afford to buy an rc model but I really wanted a plane I had to buy this instead I already had some engine that my uncle gave me with a two control line balsa plane that I was to build It was at this time that everything started for me since it's a passion Ever growing sinceCox scorpion ARF build! Img_2260
I would like to find a new one in the box with all these accessories This model had a silencer that I could not install the cylinder of this engine must have been tightened by hulck By the time I installed I could no longer find these little pieces
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:24 pm

davidll1984 wrote:
At the time I could not afford to buy an rc model but I really wanted a plane I had to buy this instead I already had some engine that my uncle gave me with a two control line balsa plane that I was to build It was at this time that everything started for me since it's a passion Ever growing since

Long story short, I too was in a way introduced to flying models through cox as well Very Happy
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:23 am

And you guys thought this was never gonna happen
Well you were wrong  Wink
I started yesterday!

Here’s some pictures
Cox scorpion ARF build! 16fbf010
Epoxied in the spar
Cox scorpion ARF build! 82012910
While that was setting, I assembled the tank

Cox scorpion ARF build! Fc4f1910
Cox scorpion ARF build! 4a434810
Cox scorpion ARF build! 6b72e210
Wrinkles came out nicely with a hairdryer and a leather glove
Cox scorpion ARF build! 31b47010
Wing is set and tank is complete!
More coming this evening or tomorrow morning
Cox scorpion ARF build! A3dc2810
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:38 am

RC Plane Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 luke this is cool We want detailed photos of the assembly and once finish Pray this plane is so cool I love To se more detail RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:56 am

davidll1984 wrote:RC Plane Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049  luke this is cool We want detailed photos of the assembly and once finish Pray  this plane is so cool I love To se more detail RC Plane
You bet Smile
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:27 am

Well t is a ARF indeed not alot of detail but carry on , looking good ! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:27 am

Yeah not a lot of detail, but that’s not what I’m after. I want a cox powered sport airplane that flies nice. Hopefully that’s what this will provide.
Anyways all I did yesterday was print out the aileron servo tray and shrunk some more covering
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:54 pm

Alright, getting back into it now, well the past week or so really, but here’s some pictures. Finally got the covering wrinkles out and started on other things. Just completed the wing an hour or so ago. Figured I’d start sending pictures now and keep posting throughout the evening since I hope to finish tonight. Pics will be somewhat out of order most likely.

Cox scorpion ARF build! 594fcd10
Cox scorpion ARF build! E804c610
Cox scorpion ARF build! Fe750a10Cox scorpion ARF build! 909f7910
Cox scorpion ARF build! 38df7610
Cox scorpion ARF build! 6e0fec10
Some intriguing clevises
Anyways I’m getting back to building, next up is the fuel tank and radio tray. I’ll be back soon
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:32 pm

I can imagine how much you are enjoying building that model right now. Always an eager time finishing up something worthwhile. Good luck in your build as you finish it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:26 pm

Well I cut the covering for attaching the stab to the fuselage, and since the covering is so old it left residue. I found heating it took it off so I heated it with a hairdryer and subsequently messed up the bottom covering. So now I have to get a friend to re-cover it for me. I’m leaving for about a month in a week so now it’s on hold.
I’m so angry right now
Everything I touch breaks now
sigh
I guess the only good thing from this is I’ll get more time to get trim and wheelpants for it
See you guys in a few months.
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:03 am

Lukemiester said "Everything I touch breaks now"

well I still remember when I was 16 and experienced Everything I touch breaks now, also

This is a fundamental need to learn and develop skills. The down side is always discouragement and depression.

Understanding how failure teaches what doesn't work is key.

In this case the lesson is all heat activated glue and then shrink coverings are great examples of frustraters.

NO ONE can cover a light balsa model with monokote type coverings correctly the first time, or second, or third...no matter their age or building skill level.

Hang in there Lukemiester! There are many 67 year old+ modelers in your circle of friends here at CEF that still break every thing they touch, myself included...life is about constant learning and wisdom/skills development

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:04 am

Wow, major bummer and not something that I imagined. I thought you would be having a grand time with that model.

At sixteen, I had great eyesight, steady hands and super coordination. Building model airplanes was an escape and a source of joy. Nothing like the smell of Ambroid in the morning.

Hang in there Luke.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:05 am

That's funny Everything you touch lately goes to crap ! Been having a few of those days lately i feel your pain well not really since i am quite a few years older but it will pass ;sooner is better though lol! I Love This Forum! Enjoy were every you go and bee here when you get back .Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:45 am

Thanks guys, I’m going to try to have a friend re-cover it since he said he likes it ad is good at it and I think he has some. Still going to be a long wait though :/
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:39 am

Sorry to hear you have to redo some of the covering I too have difficulty with the small details of covering somtime If I have a trick to give you is never do complex things late at night keep things simple for that moment when you get tired But still focus on the model or The work you do It doesn't matter that late at night sometimes very simple things can seem complex or we make simple mistakes but we don't find what's wrong It often happens to me the most obvious which made me take conscience of it It was in the evening that I installed an car engine swap as I had done several times before Install a different engine from the original, more recent, more efficient model This evening I completely forgot to place the correct order of the sparkplugs I had placed them inversely to what they should We spent the night on this without finding what was not working we should have stopped when my helper has strip an exhaust bolt The next day I immediately found out what was wrong Since that time in the evening I think more than I work lol!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:23 pm

I resumed building today! It might be airworthy by tomorrow
Pictures coming later tonight if I remember
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:41 am

Well all was going mostly ok until the throttle servo died Head Bang
Did all this though
Cox scorpion ARF build! B4968710
Cox scorpion ARF build! 34a3bd10
Cox scorpion ARF build! 57b26610
Cox scorpion ARF build! 5f571510
Cox scorpion ARF build! 17603e10
Cox scorpion ARF build! 930cca10
Cox scorpion ARF build! 1bc63310
No flying tomorrow, or this weekend most likely. Gotta get a hold of hitec and tell them that the single plastic gear in a metal gear servo stripped. Maybe in the meantime I’ll order wheelpants
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:40 am

Well that's a shame about the servo , hope Hitech takes care of it for you and good thing it happened on the ground even if just the throttle . RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down