Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Cox_ba12

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
January-2022
Mark Boesen's

Twin Needle Thermal Hopper with a Cage Mount.

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Dick Russ Models
Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Empty

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting

Go down

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Empty Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:31 am

I love these things, and could go deep into their history but that would take pages.  Think wiki if you want a deep dive.

The current issue of Air classics got me going again.  Pictures from that wonderful magazine.

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Scan_113
Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Scan_112
Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Scan_114

P-39/P-63 two very different airplanes that looked very similiar. P-39 rounded tail/rudder, much smaller, 3 bladed prop.  P-63 much larger, four blade prop, clipped tail/rudder.

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting P-39_p10

I had ambitions of building a mid engine one using a BD-5 engine /drive but gave it away.

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting P-39_p10

I have half a dozen Wen Mac models marketed as both a P-39 and P-63 but they were the same - modeled on the P-63

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting 100_1011

But, I did not have the much better rendered Cox P-39.  Cured that today.

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Cox_p-11

They do fly, successful take off and a pretty landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQ4aTQ2L7c

Another "wall of shame" inductee.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Empty Re: Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting

Post  Kim Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:33 am

@rsv1cox wrote:I love these things, and could go deep into their history but that would take pages.  Think wiki if you want a deep dive.

The current issue of Air classics got me going again.  Pictures from that wonderful magazine.

P-39/P-63 two very different airplanes that looked very similiar. P-39 rounded tail/rudder, much smaller, 3 bladed prop.  P-63 much larger, four blade prop, clipped tail/rudder.

I had ambitions of building a mid engine one using a BD-5 engine /drive but gave it away.

I have half a dozen Wen Mac models marketed as both a P-39 and P-63 but they were the same - modeled on the P-63

Yeah, Air Classsics wreaks constant havoc on my ability to focus on projects...like a dog that doesn't know which car to chase.

Having been "imprinted" at an early age by Wen Mac's Ara/King Cobra, these issues hit me hard. I've started treating most of my printed magazine like newspapers---a read, then out---but the Cobra Issues will stay parked 'till I at least get them scanned into a hard drive.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting Empty Re: Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:53 pm

Me - But, I did not have the much better rendered Cox P-39. Cured that today

I don't know now that I have it in hand.

Wen Mac's version despite the elongated nose moment is the better model for many reasons. For one thing it's larger and more robust and was offered in many different variations. It had options that would eject a pilot with parachute and fire spring loaded rockets. Also, it's screwed together not held together by rubber bands.

Wen marketed it as a P-39, a P-63 and and a RAF Day Fighter with the 39 and 63 in different paint schemes.

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting 100_1118

I have more of them than I should, and I keep the worst boxed away up in the loft.

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting 100_1014
Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting 100_1015

Size comparison. I like the Wen's but the Cox Airacobra does have something to offer. But not much compares with the Cox Stuka which by it's self is quite marvelous.

Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra confusion but so interesting 100_1119

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum