Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

One for the money...two for the show Cox_ba12

One for the money...two for the show Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

One for the money...two for the show Empty
Live on Patrol

One for the money...two for the show

Go down

One for the money...two for the show Empty One for the money...two for the show

Post  944_Jim Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:16 pm

RSVBob,
I blame you for the first one on the left. That was several months ago, and appears new. But since I love twins, I had to watch for a second one. Well, a bit of sniping yielded #2 for [BOLD]silly[/BOLD] cheap. #2 feels well loved, yet broken in. It is coated in afterrun, or some other oil.

The engines are on the papers as I received them. I noted the price on #2 as sold way back when...$8.95. Really? Well, I paid only just a bit more than that. It must have been the prop, yeah, upcharged for the used prop!

Another oddity is the service center address on each instruction sheet...NJ and NY.

Well, off to the retirement toybox they go...while I dream up the appropriate twinsy.
One for the money...two for the show Img_2084
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

One for the money...two for the show Empty Re: One for the money...two for the show

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:48 pm

I have my .09's on a Sterling P-38. Horrible flying plane but it does look cool. It can be nursed through loops and lazy eights, it will not perform a PAMPA horizontal eight. I suppose it could but it may not survive.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

One for the money...two for the show Empty Re: One for the money...two for the show

Post  sosam117 Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Those Enya .09 engines are nice to have.
I have one of the 1st Enya .09 model #3001
One for the money...two for the show Enya_152

To the Enya .09-II version  --- very rare throttle control version
One for the money...two for the show Enya_153
One for the money...two for the show Enya_154
One for the money...two for the show Enya_155

And the Enya .09-III
One for the money...two for the show Enya_156
One for the money...two for the show New_in10

To the Enya .09-III Ball Bearing version (this set is when the .09-III Ball Bearing version first came out while the Enya .09-III was still being produced)
One for the money...two for the show Enya_157
One for the money...two for the show 01_eny20
One for the money...two for the show 05_eny13

Photo of instruction sheet with the Enya .09-III and Enya .09-III Ball Bearing when the Ball Bearing version 1st came out.
One for the money...two for the show 10_eny10

I also have the Enya .09-IV / Enya .09-V / Quicky versions --- total of 51-- Enya .09 engines variations.

The tough part is getting the muffler for the earlier versions like the .09-II and .09-III.
They have the muffler on the left side of the engine and not on the right side, so finding the old muffler that fit that side is a little harder to find.
The later versions Enya .09-IV and on have them on the right side and the bolt location for the muffler casted into the crankcase.
Where the older ones used a clamp around the cylinder head.

Below are photos of a Tatone muffler that fits to an Enya .09-IV as it comes in the package from MECOA.
The Enya .09-IV is the engine on the right side of the photo.

One for the money...two for the show Img_0135
One for the money...two for the show Img_0134

Next photos are the same muffler but have been modified to fit to an Enya .09-III.
The muffler is inverted (flipped) then what was the bottom of the muffler was ground out to clear the cylinder head.
The Enya .09-III is the engine on the left side of the photo.

One for the money...two for the show Img_0136
One for the money...two for the show Img_0137
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 pm

And yes, those engines started out at about $7.00 years ago to the current price I bought my Enya .09 Quicky with SNV (safe needle valve) and muffler that cost $125.00 (including shipping from RC Japan eight years ago.)
About 18% price increase over the years when they 1st came out years ago.

Now they cost more if they are NIB.
Seen them go for $160 and up! Some without the muffler.
I try to purchase the engine and all the goodies that go with the engine. (muffler, gaskets, rebuild kit)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

One for the money...two for the show Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:11 am

Hi Sosam,

Happy new year to you and everyone else in this great forum.

As your the goto Enya guy, please would you know if an Enya RC carb would be suitable for a Cox td09 ?

The intake stub going into the engine would need to be of the right diameter to be modified and the correct size and pitch thread cut into it. A larger diameter stub would be ok as I can lathe that to size provided the stub wall thickness was enough.

I live in Snowdonia UK. Getting stuff from Japan is much easier than from USA. I have been going round in circles for some years now trying to get RC carbs and silencers, even the round type, for these wonderfully " animals".

All help greatly received.

Maybe I should start a dedicated thread for these 09's

Thanks.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:26 am

944_Jim wrote:RSVBob,
I blame you for the first one on the left. That was several months ago, and appears new. But since I love twins, I had to watch for a second one. Well, a bit of sniping yielded #2 for [BOLD]silly[/BOLD] cheap. #2 feels well loved, yet broken in. It is coated in afterrun, or some other oil.

The engines are on the papers as I received them. I noted the price on #2 as sold way back when...$8.95. Really? Well, I paid only just a bit more than that. It must have been the prop, yeah, upcharged for the used prop!

Another oddity is the service center address on each instruction sheet...NJ and NY.

Well, off to the retirement toybox they go...while I dream up the appropriate twinsy.
]

This stub-nosed Bristol Beaufighter has always intrigued me, Jim. It's just weird enough to wear a couple of 09 Enyas. The Mitchel B-25 too. But were I to build one it would be the Beaufighter.

One for the money...two for the show Bristo10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:45 am

Yes, an Enya .09 carburetor will work on a Cox .09.
I retrofitted an Enya .09 Quicky carb onto two Cox Tee Dee .09 engines.

One for the money...two for the show 01_cox14
One for the money...two for the show 02_cox12
One for the money...two for the show 03_cox13

I used the Enya Quicky carb (for R/C cars -- part number 09430C) because it does not have an air blead hole on the front of the carburetor.
And it's "RED" to make it pretty looking (different).

The other thing I did was to use the newer "aluminum" (dural) venturi body on the Cox .09.
Reason is that the diameter of the Enya .09 carburetor is 7.0mm (.275") and the threaded hole for Cox carburetor
is the same size.
So, the Enya .09 carb. slips into the Cox threaded venturi body, which the threaded hole measures 7.08mm.

If you look at the photos of the Cox engines with the Enya .09 Quicky carb. I used the Enya carb screws
to hold the Enya carb to the aluminum venturi body where I milled flat areas for the screws.

All of the Enya .09 and .11 carburetors sizes that go into the crankcase measure about 7.0mm
When you move up to the .15 and .19 carbs is when the size of the throat changes that slip into the crankcase
and that is about 8.75mm, and those carbs don't work well on the Cox .09 because the intake is too big.

But I was able to thread the bottom of the Enya .15 carb to fit into the Cox engine.
I even made sleeves to slip into the throat to reduce the I.d. size of the .15 carburetor down to the .09 size.
Wide open it did o.k. but at idle it would die.
Probably a problem with the air flow with those three brass tubing restrictors to reduce it down to the .09 size?

I'll take more detailed photos of the engines when I get some time.

The cheaper .09 carb to get is Part #09330 --- it comes with the "plastic" throttle arm.
Order the metal throttle arm part #09330C to replace the plastic throttle arm.

The 09330 carb has a bleed screw in the front. Just screw the screw all the way in to close it off.
Or remove the screw and epoxy over the hole to plug it off?
The Cox engine doesn't really need it.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

One for the money...two for the show Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 am

Oh thanks you so much Sosam, will enguire with Ken Enya about availability and price etc..

I will wait for more pictures before I order.

I still have his email address I think...

Those red carbs do look cool I must say, but it's gunna be about suitability and cost for me.

I have one alloy manifold and researching About getting some more...

Will be contacting Matt exmodelengines about some parts...

Hopefully the TD's will be RC able soon, can't wait, a fast model or two coming up...

Looks as if the round silencer will fit as well...
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 pm

Just made an order with Ken yesterday for some engine parts.
He replied back today and had 3/4 of the parts I needed.
The others are currently out of stock.
Most of the parts are for rebuilding the .049 / .06 / .08 / and .10 engines back to like new condition.
Along with mufflers, wrenches and storage Enya boxes for the rebuilt engines.
And parts for a couple of .09 I got cheap because of missing parts off them.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:23 pm

Sosam,
Thanks so much for your concise, and complete details. You basically hit every question I had about these little engines!

I now know mufflers will be available, if not great. Parts are still available, as I just placed an order with Bob Brooks, aka Shtterman on eBay. I should have looked closer at the vendor's name since I have his contact info outside of the 'Bay.

Bob,
The B-25 would normally be the go-to for me, but I have a Guillows B-25 for my retirement party. This one has eluded me since my first crack at it 40 years ago. I do like the Beaufighter too!

And since Ken mentioned a pair on the big Sterling P-38 flies less than stellar, I think this rules out military aircraft unless I do Scale. I'm really leaning towards a 44"-48" CL sport plane for a bit more performance...something along the lines of a RingMaster or CG Skylark twin, but full fuselage and CL. Again, these guys will probably see a bit of bench time, and then back to the retirement box. I figure they'll be mounted and flying some time around the year 2030!

BwAhahahah! The price was just too good for both engines.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:24 pm

944_Jim wrote:Sosam,
Thanks so much for your concise, and complete details. You basically hit every question I had about these little engines!

I now know mufflers will be available, if not great. Parts are still available, as I just placed an order with Bob Brooks, aka Shtterman on eBay. I should have looked closer at the vendor's name since I have his contact info outside of the 'Bay.

Bob,
The B-25 would normally be the go-to for me, but I have a Guillows B-25 for my retirement party. This one has eluded me since my first crack at it 40 years ago. I do like the Beaufighter too!

And since Ken mentioned a pair on the big Sterling P-38 flies less than stellar, I think this rules out military aircraft unless I do Scale. I'm really leaning towards a 44"-48" CL sport plane for a bit more performance...something along the lines of a RingMaster or CG Skylark twin, but full fuselage and CL. Again, these guys will probably see a bit of bench time, and then back to the retirement box. I figure they'll be mounted and flying some time around the year 2030!

BwAhahahah! The price was just too good for both engines.

For the last year I've been trying to pick up (purchase) the old M100 muffler for the Enya .09-II and III.
One for the money...two for the show Enya_158

You can use the newer muffler, (Enya part # M154) but you'll have to make a strap for the muffler to go around the engine as the newer muffler is designed for the Enya.09-IV engine which this muffler also fits the Enya .15-V engines.
And I have included a photo of the last clamp and screws that Ken Eny had. Ken said there might not be any more made?
But the screws are available as they are M3-2.6 thds
One for the money...two for the show Enya_159

Last photos are a comparison of the old M100 silencer to the "new" replacement silencer for the .09 which is for the .09-IV engine and the Enya .15 and .19 engines.
One for the money...two for the show 001a_o10
One for the money...two for the show 002b_o10
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down