Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What I did today Cox_ba12

What I did today Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What I did today Empty
Live on Patrol

What I did today

Go down

What I did today Empty What I did today

Post  batjac Sun May 15, 2022 7:32 pm

What I did today (watch in full screen):

I'd wanted to get into High Power Rocketry since I was a kid, but it was just never the "time".  Well, now that I have a little more time to do the things I've always wanted to, I joined the local Rocketry club and built a model rocket to do my Level 1 HPR cert.  Since building the rocket, I had to wait three months, as the previous two scheduled launches got washed out by the weather.  Today, the weather was marginal, but I managed to get my rocket launched between the rains and the heavy winds.

I chose a model called a Minnie-Magg from LOC Precision.  A fun build.  Not too challenging.  I had to build it in the apartment we've been renting while waiting for our house to be built, so I didn't have my normal modelling bench to work on.  I painted it red and green, and named it The Possum Rocket.  No one at the field got the reference.

What I did today 20220418_125006

*SIGH*

Since I wanted to do everything I could to try and ensure a successful flight, I picked a rocket motor that wouldn't take it too high so that it wouldn't fly off in high winds, or get caught in the trees around the flying field.  Most guys seemed to be going for around the 2,000 foot level for their cert flights, but I picked a motor that should get me to around 1K of altitude.  Apparently, I picked just the right motor.  Per the altimeter I put in it, the rocket's actual apogee was 1,132 feet.  Luckily, I launched in a relatively calm moment and the rocket only landed about 20-25 yards from the launch rail!  On a launch a little previous to mine, the guy was shooting for about 3,000 feet, and his rocket drifter off about a half mile away on the wind and he had the long walk to recover it.  Granted, his rocket was lighter, but I still lucked out with the wind.

So, now I am L1 HPR certified!  Now to build a rocket for my L2 cert so I can fly it at the High Frontier launch weekend in late September.  I have a few ideas....

The Certifiable Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What I did today Empty Re: What I did today

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun May 15, 2022 8:23 pm

Congrats, Mark, really good build and finish, nice flights and good recovery. Kudos. 👏

I did model rockets as a hobby during my junior and senior high school years back in the early 1970's.

My favorite was Estes Gyroc. It had wings similar to a canard but without the nose stabilizer. Near or after apogee, the ejection charge would kick the spent engine casing out, which would deploy the wing flaps in opposite direction, causing it to helicopter recover like a maple leaf. I finished mine in Pactra Stinson Green with a bright orange stripe barber pole style down the fuselage, which would twirl when it was on its way to earth. The "rudders" that held the flaps at the proper angle when deployed I also painted orange.
What I did today K31_7110
From http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/kitpages/k31_nohangtag.htm

Had many successful flights with 1/2A to B sized single stage engines. Very Happy

Then one day, I put a C-6-7 engine in it. It could not stand the tremendous strain of takeoff, stripping one of the wing panels and the other wing flap off.

It returned by tumble recovery, burying itself in the freshly watered athletic school lawn a couple inches and badly denting the rocket body tube. Thus ended my Gyroc. Sad

I think nowadays, they would not allow a model to release a hard to find engine casing, which could perceive to cause a brush fire. Doh!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun May 15, 2022 11:47 pm

Cool! I must admit I didn’t ”get it” before you mentioned ”reference” Very Happy

What I did today Ba135910

Maybe a decorative stripe made of duct tape might help Huh...
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 16, 2022 9:52 am

KariFS wrote:Cool! I must admit I didn’t ”get it” before you mentioned ”reference” Very Happy

Maybe a decorative stripe made of duct tape might help Huh...
They'd probably still not get it. Red and Green was before McGuiver. Laughing
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed May 18, 2022 8:43 pm

Congrats Mark! Nice flight. I too had cut my teeth on rockets when I was younger. I actually still have mine here in a box. I had planned on trying it all over again one day. But just simple Estes rockets. Somewhere I think I still have an Eggspress and a Mean Machine both still unfinished. If still around, they are in my parents basement. Now I want to find them one day after mentioning them. I also still have my Alpha, which was my first and came with the starter kit.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed May 18, 2022 8:45 pm

On a side note. I had actually met Red Green a couple of times here. Was always funny, and a friendly gentleman. I may even have my signed duct tape here somewhere too, as that is what he was signing for autographs.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 19, 2022 8:19 am

Congrads on the new hobby , good flight too , looks like you hit it right with the lesser height flight / wind Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down