Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Scientific P-38 plans wanted Cox_ba12

Scientific P-38 plans wanted Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 9:29 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Scientific P-38 plans wanted Empty
Live on Patrol

Scientific P-38 plans wanted

Go down

Scientific P-38 plans wanted Empty Scientific P-38 plans wanted

Post  Eddy Thu May 26, 2022 8:25 pm

Looking for the plans for the Scientific P-38 Lightning. It was advertised in picture with a Scientific add in the 1960 model plane magazines. It flew with only one 1/2 A engine, .049 to .074, mounted in the center. I have searched just about everywhere and can only find an occasional picture from the Scientific add. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Scientific P-38 plans wanted Empty Re: Scientific P-38 plans wanted

Post  Marleysky Thu May 26, 2022 10:10 pm

you can download them for free from Outerzone:   https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10029

OOPS !
  that's Sterling...not Scientific

Here's an RC Version with only one Engine on the nose. Close? ? https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=13240
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 am

Yes, @Eddy, I have seen those ads, must have been short lived. I was never attracted to it. There used to be some who used to post regularly, who had many of the Musciano's Scientific plans.

Also while Walt was living and not in a nursing home, one could write him and buy a copy of the plan from him. He passed a few years ago.

If no one responds here, you can try Stunt Hangar.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri May 27, 2022 9:52 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:......There used to be some who used to post regularly, who had many of the Musciano's Scientific plans........

A search on Outerzone for Musciano yielded 150 plans -- what a prolific designer!

I learned to fly C/L on his AT-6 Texan. The spun aluminum cowl, landing gear and fairings, and canopy never made it to the end when it finally succumbed to castor and damage, but it served its purpose.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 27, 2022 10:41 am

True Andrew, while his book on building and flying scale model aircraft was still available new, I bought it may be 20 years ago.

Sounds like you had a blast flying his design.

I searched Outerzone.co.uk and Hip Pocket Aeronautics, but neither has Walt's Scientific half-A P-38.

There are a couple larger single engine stunt versions for .35 and up engines, but look too refined to mimic Walt's simplified design.

Unfortunately also Brotherhood of the Ring and Stuka Stunt forums are no more, hence why I mentioned to the OP to inquire on Stunt Hangar.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri May 27, 2022 12:05 pm

George -
You quite likely have this plans source bookmarked, but if not, it has over 24,000 plans available.  I've on occasion found plans here that were not available on Outerzone or Hippocket.  Free membership to download.  Sadly, the P-38 was missing.

Aerofred Plans
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri May 27, 2022 12:48 pm

Last edited by Levent Suberk on Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 28, 2022 8:11 am

andrew wrote:George -
You quite likely have this plans source bookmarked, but if not, it has over 24,000 plans available.  I've on occasion found plans here that were not available on Outerzone or Hippocket.  Free membership to download.  Sadly, the P-38 was missing.

Aerofred Plans

Hello Andrew, yes I have been a long time member of AeroFred and did also check them when I did Outerzone and HipPocket. Just as you found, nada.

There was a gentleman, think he may have been posting here that told us he had all the Musciano Scientific plan sheets, to contact him if we needed one, but don't remember who, whereabouts, or that he may be no longer around.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Scientific P-38 plans wanted Empty Re: Scientific P-38 Plans wanted

Post  Eddy Sat May 28, 2022 8:52 am

Great to read some of the comments here on some of the Scientific info. I will try and dig deeper after this Memorial weekend. I used to keep in touch with Currell Pattie and Jim Dodson, who had many of Walt's plans, but I have lost touch with them after Pattie's wife passed and he moved to Florida. There was another with the first name of Paul, that had Walt's plans and many of the decals that went with the old Scientific kits. I think it would be awesome if someone on this site could come up with and keep on file some kind of a plan library of Walt's old Scientific kits if possible. Somebody somewhere, has most if not all of his plans. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm

Eddy, I believe Curell had or hopefully still has one of the most complete collections. I myself have a very large collection. The problem I have is finding it. He's sold much of his items on Ebay over the past 10 years. His name on Ebay is Nobler. He's still active on there as I recently seen a engine he was selling. I believe Paul is Paul Smith. Paul is from the Michigan area and he's a very impressive modeller. The Northern VA Control line Assn. are probably the best resource to finding what your seeking. Scott Richlen is a member that typically attends our club in Philly in June and July. I might be able to find his information .
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 28, 2022 3:03 pm

Eddy wrote:  Great to read some of the comments here on some of the Scientific info. I will try and dig deeper after this Memorial weekend. I used to keep in touch with Currell Pattie and Jim Dodson, who had many of Walt's plans, but I have lost touch with them after Pattie's wife passed and he moved to Florida. There was another with the first name of Paul, that had Walt's plans and many of the decals that went with the old Scientific kits. I think it would be awesome if someone on this site could come up with and keep on file some kind of a plan library of Walt's old Scientific kits if possible. Somebody somewhere, has most if not all of his plans. Eddy

You noted his passing here:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12892-walter-musciano-has-passed?highlight=musciano

A loss for all of us.  I built many of his designs without ever knowing of his fame or talents.  But I did keep most of his plans that came with the kits.  A favorite the Cyclone.  I was a kid and painted the pilot that came with it green, so naturally I colored the plans pilot too.

Scientific P-38 plans wanted Walt_c10

Later, I bought and built BlackHawks edition.

I did not know that he designed a P-38. Should you ever find the plans it would be a great favor to me if you shared them.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 28, 2022 4:06 pm

Walt Musciano certainly helped me in my building skills from 11 YO on.

I look back at Walt Musciano's kits that I built (there were a few Scientific planes done by Paul DelGatto also):
Scientific P-38 plans wanted 2018-133
Scientific ad in Oct. 1964 Model Airplane News magazine. I saved this, but I think it was posted by someone here who was pointing out his interest in the Kingpin (red arrow).

Scientific CL half-A planes I built:

1. Sizzlin Liz Mustang (1st plane on 1st full row, plastic turtledeck, built up wing)
2. Messerschmitt 109 (1st plane on 5th full row, hollow log with sheet wing)
3. Grumman Hellcat (2nd plane on 5th full row, plastic turtledeck, built up wing)
4. Cessna 180 (5th plane on 5th full row, hollow log with sheet wing)
5. Little Devil (5th plane on 6th full row, hollow log with sheet wing. Was my younger brother's, after it suffered hangar damage he gave it to me. I rehabilitated it and mounted a Cox "290" postage stamp engine with Perfect wedge tank.)
Little Bipe (2nd plane on last row, hollow log with sheet wing)

Rubber powered

6. Cessna 180 (far right under Rubber category, tissue covered fuselage and wing framework with sheet tail surfaces. I doped it with orange colored dope, making it heavy, flew like some of Guillow rockhard balsa kit planes, fast with poor performance. Later I learned I could have simply tissue covered the sheet tail, a coat or two of sprayed clear dope to make tissue taut but kept light, wisdom between a 5th-6th grader and high schooler.)

Unbuilt kits complete in original box, still have:

7. Piper Super Cub (probably last iteration prior to Scientific discontinuing manufacturing, replaced Piper Cub Trainer - 1st plane on 6th full row, hollow log with sheet wing.)
8. 30" Shoestring racer single channel R/C complete kit (not in ad)

I loved Walt's idea of simplicity, his kits were easy building, although the "scale" ones were not 100% scale, still were recognizable enough to represent the real thing, definitely geared toward the child in each person. Cool
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat May 28, 2022 5:37 pm

I had this book:
Scientific P-38 plans wanted _chrom10
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 28, 2022 5:51 pm

@Eddy, you may be in luck. David Cowell of Aerowerkes in Farmington, NM apparently has your kit, thanks to a post by @944_Jim:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10629-dave-cowell-1-2a-scientific-sterling-comet-clones

944_Jim on Feb 09, 2017 wrote:dpcmodels.homesteadDOTcom

These are a.couple of the Dave Cowell Scientific clones [...] And the packaged 1/2A Sterling P-38:
Scientific P-38 plans wanted Img_2011
Although Sterling, shown to show what his kits contain typically. - GG

And his price list as of a four months ago:
Scientific P-38 plans wanted Cl_kit12
I went to David's site, Jim's link (change "DOT" to "."), he does not list the P-38, but he still may have it (or make it for you) and the plan, best to contact him directly.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Sat May 28, 2022 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 28, 2022 6:16 pm

@Levent Suberk, yes, that is the exact book I have, copyright 1970, suggested retail then $7.95 US (but I bought new 20 years ago for under $20 US at a bookstore in Albuquerque, NM). Cool  Here is the back cover of my book:
Scientific P-38 plans wanted 2022-041

Also found the following post in RC Groups by AndyKunz, who visited Walt Musciano in a nursing home. He might know whereabouts of Scientific plans.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3925637-Converting-Control-Line-to-RC#post47397181
This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:28 am

Eddy,
I remembered you asking about this one when I saw an eBay auction this morning. It IS a cute airplane!
Here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204066547709?

If you don't buy it, I just might!

If anyone here buys it, I have access to a large format scanner and would be more than glad to digitize it.

Plans collecting is an addiction. If my wife croaks before I do, I may wallpaper the whole house with these plans.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:47 am

It is available for FREE on Outerzone.
  https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6621

along with 21 other variations:
Scientific P-38 plans wanted Scree204

Why wait, start now. Go ahead expand the Hanger,let her enjoy the plans too!! sunny  Laughing

EDIT: OOPS Sorry it's not the same size model. wing span and construction are much different.

Last edited by Marleysky on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong size.)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:44 am

She tolerates the hobby/distraction. I did manage to convert the garage storage closet into a hobby closet.

This shows how much she tolerates it:
"Baby, I'll move all this to the garage if you are ok with me installing  a through-wall a/c unit in the closet. You'll never smell dope, fuel, or glues again."
Done deal!

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Syntax/Spelling)
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:57 pm

Well,
I just passed traffic with Dave Cowell, DPC Models above. He DOES have this kit in inventory complete with plastic cowl and canopy now.

I may just buy the kit. All of the others I got from him over the last several years have been dynamite!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DPCM Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:51 am

As 944_Jim has stated, I do have this plan in my archive and will be posting it here shortly. Also I am in
the process of working out the details for the Pod/Canopy sections. Originally these were just the clear
canopy and of course the plastic cowling both of which I have. The problem I have is that I don't have
an original kit to go by so I have to reverse engineer and go by the drawings on the plan. It sounds like
an easy task but there a lot more happening than one might imagine. Its a system I have been using for
twenty two years and seems to work out just fine.

Dave
DPCM
DPCM
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

http://www.aerowerkes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:31 am

I would be a buyer if a kit ever comes available.

For scratch builders the canopy has always presented a problem.  A long time ago I found a canopy that came close to the P-38's and built a model around it.  Many C/L flights has left it scarred but not bowed.

Scientific P-38 plans wanted P-38_o24

The November issue of Air Classics has a cover picture of Red Bull's P-38.  Perfect restoration of an early edition.

Scientific P-38 plans wanted P1014524
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DPCM Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:40 am

The SCI P-38 kit is in the works. All the main parts have been done and just figuring out the pod assembly.
Once that is done, progress will be swift.Scientific P-38 plans wanted Scip3810
DPCM
DPCM
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

http://www.aerowerkes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down