Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Empty Re: ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me.

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:51 pm

Good idea Very Happy no need the firewall fillings with this, however I think that Bob wants a replica as close as possible to the original Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Empty Re: ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me.

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:44 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Fuselage profile is a little different from Manx Kitten. I think that builder made some differences. I draw as close as possible at 1:1 scale:
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Img_2063

So, I'm thinking 1/4" balsa mainframe one piece from engine to tail bolstered on each side with 1/4" basla formed to shape. Wings will be SIG airfoil. 4" top wing 3" bottom wing, 4" w/ elevator. Thinking about hollowing out the bolsters but weight saving would be little. Balsa cockpit on top. Neutral angle of incidence?

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013554
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013555

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:22 pm

Manx Cat has a little negative angle. Yet I don't have enough info about wing incidence of CL planes, but I think that zero angle don't make any effect for a small model like this.

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Scree104
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:03 pm

If you want duplicate paint scheme I think that this color is suitable:

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Scree105
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Scree106
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:26 pm

For silver colouring paint markers are useful. Need to try with a mist of clear Rust Oleum spray compatibility.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374135286433?hash=item571c336aa1:g:zocAAOSwQNxgvbAz&var=643042785688
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:09 am

Hi Bob, any achievement building that interesting model? Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:38 am

Levent Suberk wrote:Hi Bob, any achievement building that interesting model? Very Happy

Nothing yet Levent. Might be a Fall/Winter project. I want to take my time with it.

Finished up the Wen Mac Corsair.

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013570
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013569
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013571

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 pm

That sure looks great! I like how it turned out.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:25 am

NEW222 wrote:That sure looks great! I like how it turned out.

Thanks Chancey, I liked it so much I bought another.  Cheap money, these small Wen's don't go for much.  Different, the engine is inverted.  Got to find out which one came first.  Missing canopy but otherwise complete and undamaged.  But the Post office saw fit to give it a tour of the Eastern U.S.  Right now its sightseeing in Washington DC.  

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Wm_cor10
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Wm_cor11

And Levent, I found that paint. Got all the stuff to do it, now i have to find the time.

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013572
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:02 pm

Wow! Great job in the canopy. Is easy enough to remove? It would be easy to make a buck and water bottle canopy from it.

What is it made of right now? Balsa? If so, then make a small box about 1/4" deeper than the canopy, place and seal canopy in center, and full the cavity with plaster.
Modgepodge some strips of newspaper over the piece ala paper-mache into the "floor" of the box, then pour in the plaster.
Flip, remove original buck, and let the block dry over the nex5 few days. Seal and reverse for new bucks.
Reseal the cavity in your mold, and pour in the next plaster load. Wait a few days, and pop plaster buck out. Let the new buck cook-off another few days. If the mold isn't damaged, make more.

Then, using plaster buck(s), vac, press, or shrink plastic over your buck.
As round as this one is, I'd do the press version first. It would be the easiest one to make with all the tools you have..
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Thanks for the "how-to's" Jim.

It's just a hunk of balsa stop gap measure until something better comes along. Were I to make a buck it would be out of pine, balsa is just to soft to carve in outlines for a plastic canopy. It's nasty at best and just tacked in so it won't fall off.

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013573
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013574
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013575
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Different, the engine is inverted.  Got to find out which one came first.  Missing canopy but otherwise complete and undamaged.
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Wm_cor10
Bob, this is the first time I've seen an inverted Wen-Mac version F4U. Perhaps the first iteration? Then Wen-Mac uprighted the engine, to make it easier for the neophyte to start?

You have an excellent knack for bringing up model versions that I have never seen. Popcorn Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:23 am

1:1 size final sketch, A4 size (invalid)

Hi Bob, I realized that you are going to use 3 ins Sig airfoil for wings, so I have been changing plan for 3 ins wing chord. That final sketch is invalid. I am going to send a new A4 full size plan as soon as possible.

Last edited by Levent Suberk on Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wing chord change.)
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:49 am

Thanks Levent.  Got it and printed it out.  I like the tag on the vertical stab.  Smile

I'm finishing up a couple of projects, then I will start on the SL. I bet that you could build a really nice one.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:24 pm

Hey Bob, an even easier method to make a clear canopy is just melt a water bottle over your wooden form canopy that you already shaped. Heat gun is sufficient. Then just trim and glue it in place. Nothing wrong with the balsa one though.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:00 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Hey Bob, an even easier method to make a clear canopy is just melt a water bottle over your wooden form canopy that you already shaped. Heat gun is sufficient. Then just trim and glue it in place. Nothing wrong with the balsa one though.

I'll give it a try Ron.  Cut the end off a soft pine 2X4 and whittle to shape.  Ought to be fun, with my shakey hands I may lose a finger.  Smile

But I found this 1/32" scale bubble canopy Revell kit that maybe I can trim to shape.  Revell has a 15 1/4" wing, the Wen Mac 13 1/2".  At worst I can use it as a guide to do the pine replacement.  Someone could make a living casting vintage nitro powered plane canopies.  Seems the manufacturers never secured them properly and they shed in flight or a crash.  

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 S-l16020
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 F4_bub10

Levent is being a big help in the construction of the "Silver Lining."  I may do two like I did with Rene's tri-motor.  .049 with a SIG airfoil wing, and a .020 with a flat wing.  

I still love the darn fool things, and look at them every day.  I have no talent to conceive or design, but I can darn sure take someone elses idea and run with it.  Smile

One day I will run a line to them and set them off in a circle.  I built enough down in the engines to hopefully keep them grounded. Weight alone would restrict them to an inch or two AGL but those are airfoil wings.  

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013621
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:15 am

Wing chord of Silver Lining changed to 3 ins, instead of 2 1/2 ins. Wingspan is 10 ins as I recognized, but it is easy to enlarge the wingspan to 12 ins if needed.

A plywood doubler piece glued on back of firewall. Washers may also be used for this purpose, but I think that using plywood doubler is safer than washers against breakage of engine mounting lugs. Landing gear wire made from 3/32 in wire and sewn & glued on firewall piece. Firewall fillet made from a carved and shaped balsa block, then cut to half and each part glued on each side of fuselage. I think that 1 in diameter wheels are right size for this model.

Because the model is going to be painted in gray and it is difficult to recognize it's shade, then the letterings are in three different shades of light grays. Page need to be printed on clear vinyl adhesive back decal sheet. After applying them on model, then letters can be painted with a metallic silver ink paint marker. Decals can also be used without painting them with a paint marker, in that case using the lighter gray shade of lettering is enough.

A4 sheet full size 1:1 plan:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6t94xr54btkrkb4/Silver_Lining_Plan_A4.png/file

A4 sheet decal page:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3libe7apdd65eq8/Silver_Lining_Decals_A4.png/file

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Silver11
ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 Silver10
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:22 am

Metallic silver paint pen is available like this:

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 S-l16022
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:28 am

Thanks Levent. Beautiful, color suitable for framing which is exactly what I'm going to do.

ebay "Silver Lining" turned to stone for me. - Page 2 P1013628

I just ordered more balsa from SIG, airfoil and flat in various widths and thickness. I will build at least two maybe three, one with a .020.

Everyone one here should do a build. I'm sure there are a lot of idle Cox engines out there??????????????????????????????Babe Bee .049
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2