Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Cox_ba12

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Sentral Illinois Radio Society "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" Still MORE Fun!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Empty Sentral Illinois Radio Society "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" Still MORE Fun!!!!

Post  Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:08 pm

So, another load-out begins.

Heading up to McLean, Illinois to party with the S.I.R.S. Model Airplane Club.  

From the AMA Event Page:

"Bring your favorite old gas or glow airplane… either RC OR CONTROL LINE---That plane with a story behind it. Vintage plastic control line is welcome! This is a two day event with a 10.00 landing fee per day. Lunch provided."

Well, old stuff and stories about old stuff is where I live, so really looking forward to this event!  

Venturing deep into the heart of The Peoples Republic of Illinois, I'll be packing extra Missouri gas to avoid the little mobster's gouging as much as possible!

Got most of the players loaded, and got a great call this morning that Breezy Hill Flyers, Leo and Billy are ALSO gonna make this run!

So, prepare for additional babbling!!!

Hot & Sweaty Kim

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0133
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0134

Last edited by Kim on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Empty Re: Sentral Illinois Radio Society "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" Still MORE Fun!!!!

Post  rdw777 Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:17 pm

Good luck Kim! Glad you got Mud Dabber going…. Reminds me of our old club trainer, Sig Senorita with lots of hours…..And hope that Gilbert gets air time!!!
Be safe!!!

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Empty Re: Sentral Illinois Radio Society "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" Still MORE Fun!!!!

Post  Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:38 pm

rdw777 wrote:Good luck Kim! Glad you got Mud Dabber going…. Reminds me of our old club trainer, Sig Senorita with lots of hours…..And hope that Gilbert gets air time!!!
Be safe!!!

Robert

Thank You Robert...it ought to be a hoot!

Yeah, Mud Dabber will be lugging its GoPros around the place...hopefully with some good results!

But Bob's Skyflash is gonna sit this one out...just going along for display...though the Gilbert may get some run time.

I've got a "Classic Plastic" day planned to get Bob's Skyflash and some others some air time on the ramp at Cairo's Airport.  There, I can have a 360 degree circle of relatively smooth asphalt ("360 degrees" may feel more like its temperature today!) to give the old schoolers plenty of runway, with no abrupt jolts to their landing gear from touching down in grass.  It's just been too blessed hot for me to try it.

The weather guy is insinuating a bit of cooling this Saturday and Sunday...hope so!!!

Last edited by Kim on Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:02 pm

Sounds great, Will be ready for pix of all the planes and folks with old stories…. Flash will get going with the right timing and place Flying
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:46 pm

Safe travels!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:45 am

Kim wrote:Venturing deep into the heart of The Peoples Republic of Illinois, I'll be packing extra Missouri gas to avoid the little mobster's gouging as much as possible!
Wow! That time came very quickly since the great escape from stormy Arkansas!

Agree with Robert, would like to see the ancient Gilbert RTF get air time, along with Walt Musciano's American Boy. Do you think one of these days, to mount either to the right underwing of the Dabber similar to the way the X-15 was mounted to the underwing of the B-52 Bomber with engine running for photo / video op in flight?

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 2022-048
Photo from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:X-15_Mated_to_B-52_Captive_Flight_-_GPN-2000-000109.jpg

Waiting to see fantastic videos and photos from the Unfettered Sentral Societal Radio (USSR) meet. Laughing
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:11 am

COOL Uh HOT either way another great adventure ! Sounds interesting with the old timer stuff , we're calling for some cooling off here Sunday and Monday hope it works for you too . In dare need of it so i can get outside and work the garden some . Bee Safe Brother RC Plane Very Happy This Site Rocks!

Last edited by getback on Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change meaning)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:55 am

"Wow! That time came very quickly since the great escape from stormy Arkansas!"

Yeah George, no sooner recover than back, asking for more! Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Somewhere in Illinois"
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 50_32

One of the SIRS flys his Shoestring late in the day on Friday:

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 110_20
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 120_17
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 130_14

Thanks Guys!  Up early this morning, with some winds we could do without...but will see how the day goes.
Later!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:37 pm

Saturday Photos!!!!

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 200_25

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0108
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0107
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0109

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0137
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0136
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0135

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0140
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0138
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Dsc_0139

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 116_10

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 110_21
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:56 pm

Thumbs Up hé Kim Nice picturs I like to see the old mud dabber it looks like yellow is one of the colors that makes airplanes more durable or it's just an idea I have Maybe I'm right to say this because it's not the first yellow plane that lasts very long and ends up full of oil Airplane It may be because the yellow makes it more visible
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:39 am

I remember this place a lot of farming and tall corn LOL Good landscape , that Fokker was looking good i see he is having to put it together in the field , did he fly it ? Your display setup is nice I see why they were tied down the way they were in the van now . Thumbs Up Dabber coming in dead stick ! From way up hi cheers RC Plane This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:35 am

I like that RC Prairie Bird shown in the photo line up modelled after the Peck 16" rubber powered version. There was a German fellow who machined a very large operating Babe Bee, can't remember exact displacement, may be 20 cc? Would be the right ticket for that Fokker Triplane. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:10 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:57 pm

From Eric's CEF links on the Gigantic Bee:

Surfer_kris on Jun 02, 2012 wrote:
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! A4618610
RC Groups photo.

Scale factor is 2.88, so if I remember my math correctly (and it doesn't get better with age) Crazy Eyes gives me a displacement of 1.17 cubic inches, or 19.2 cc's, say 20 cc's. A 6x3 prop scaled up would be a 17x9. General rule for 2 cycle is that it is half the displacement of a 4 cycle but puts out about the same power, so in essence may be equivalent to a 40 cc 4 cycle engine or close to it? Laughing I guess that would be adequate for that large triplane. Razz Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:49 am

davidll1984
"Kim Nice pictures I like to see the old mud dabber it looks like yellow is one of the colors that makes airplanes more durable or it's just an idea I have"

Yeah, David...I'm not sure what the combination is for longevity, but a main ingredient is probably "Stubbornness"!!! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
getback
"I remember this place a lot of farming and tall corn LOL Good landscape , that Fokker was looking good i see he is having to put it together in the field , did he fly it ? Your display setup is nice I see why they were tied down the way they were in the van now."

The winds were Really Up on Saturday, so the tie-downs were mandatory.  Yes, the Triplane put on a good flight, and I got some great footage of it...buried somewhere in the ton of files I saved over the weekend.  Lots of stuff gonna be appearing here as I sort it all out. RC Plane  RC Plane
------------------------------------------------------
GallopingGhostler
"I like that RC Prairie Bird shown in the photo line up modelled after the Peck 16" rubber powered version. There was a German fellow who machined a very large operating Babe Bee, can't remember exact displacement, may be 20 cc? Would be the right ticket for that Fokker Triplane."

Yes...GOT to love a Prairie Bird!  A giant Babe Bee WOULD be quite an attraction on that big Triplane

-------------------------------------------------------
Jerry Worden, the CD of the Fun Fly. flew his Cox Spitfire on Sunday!  Never seen one in the air, so that was a big deal!
I have a secret plan to convince him to let me share his circle with my Stuka...it would be EPIC!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 500_012

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 500_20
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:30 pm

Kim wrote:Jerry Worden, the CD of the Fun Fly. flew his Cox Spitfire on Sunday!  Never seen one in the air, so that was a big deal!
I have a secret plan to convince him to let me share his circle with my Stuka...it would be EPIC!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! 500_012
I had one of those as a kid, received Christmas 1965 for my Christmas present, was 11 at the time. It had real sponge like rubber tires with scale-like width, not the hard rubber aftermarket ones (Perfect) used on kits. Also had the dual bypass Black Widow styled intake ports, Babe Bee tank back, no vents on the natural aluminum 8cc fuel tank.

Glad to see that he got if flying.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! Empty The Spitfire Flys!

Post  Kim Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:29 pm

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:12 am

Good flight , i don't think it could get a fast enough roll to get off the ground . I think i have one of those amoust my fun stuff ? Thanks as always Kim ! Very Happy Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:46 am

Leo takes up John Cralley's Bi-Slob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkUpcMNFu0
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:08 am

My bad, after getting a closer look, the video reveals that the Spitfire IS the original 1964 model with Cox .049 Silver Bee engine. Cox went through extra detailing back then not available later on these RTF's. Amazing Bi-Slob showmanship from an outstanding pilot, that thing can hover like crazy with that old Fox stunt engine. @Kim, was John Cralley there?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:35 am

Kim wrote:Leo takes up John Cralley's Bi-Slob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkUpcMNFu0

Now that's control line flying. You may not get dizzy but it requires your full attention.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:06 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Amazing Bi-Slob showmanship from an outstanding pilot, that thing can hover like crazy with that old Fox stunt engine. @Kim, was John Cralley there?

Yes, John and his wife brought the Bi-Slob and an older Ringmaster that did not get flown. He was REAL happy to see Leo put his Bi-Slob through its paces!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:08 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Kim wrote:Leo takes up John Cralley's Bi-Slob:

Now that's control line flying.  You may not get dizzy but it requires your full attention.

Yeah!!  Leo's got the Bi-Slob technique down to a science!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:18 am

Always like to see a good Bi-Slob flight…. Interesting mix of flying on the wing and pure thrust…. Takes a well tuned engine too…. Not to count excellent pilot!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:27 am

I like watching the Bi-Slob there so agile and just seem to float with little power , cool stuff ! cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next