Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

COX backplate throttle Cox_ba12

COX backplate throttle Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

COX backplate throttle Empty
Live on Patrol

COX backplate throttle

Go down

COX backplate throttle Empty COX backplate throttle

Post  andrew Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:26 am

Has anyone here had experience with the backplate throttle available thru COX International?  

COX backplate throttle Thrott10
COX backplate throttle Thrott11
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

COX backplate throttle Empty Re: COX backplate throttle

Post  davidll1984 Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 am

Yes its a Good option To rc a cox engine i use one in m'y old tigermoth COX backplate throttle 16596210
The engine must be equipped with a thrust washer Because when the engine is idling the crankshaft is like sucking into the crankcase And once the plane is in the air, the propeller may move every time the throttle is placed in the idle position. And because of the friction it is important to check for exesive play and lubricate the thrust washer before every flight An advantage is to be able to turn off the engine or to simulate engine cutouts also to cool and lubricate when idling i like the sistem its just Not that Good for peak power it has slow responce throttle RC Plane Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:00 am

andrew wrote:Has anyone here had experience with the backplate throttle available thru COX International?  

I've been flying one on Little Traveler for a bunch of years (it was added not long after its x-country flight in 2009.) and it works great.  I DO usually have to play with the mixture a bit, and there is a glowplug adapter/heat-range core that was recommended for good idle/top end, but I can't remember...maybe still on Bernie's site.

It can take a moment to "un-choke itself" from idle to full power, but generally works well, and will let Little Traveler make low/slow passes, and also taxi around, though the plane still prefers a hand launch to keep from chasing its tail.

COX backplate throttle Sam_4511
COX backplate throttle Sam_4510

P.S.---all of its flights have been on Sig Champion 25%.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:19 am

The choke tube throttle is something I have never tried, all my experiences have been with the exhaust restrictor throttle ring. However, the choke tube type throttle is nothing new. OS used that type throttle on its Pet .099's. Some early Enya's had them, too.

Since the exhaust restrictor was not linear, I found that half throttle was about 1/4 to 1/3rd open. I ran some calculations, found that I could use the Ace KRD quick blip sequential throttle servo to do a decent job of throttling the R/C Bee on my Minnie Mambo. The servo disk wheel moved normally high at 0 position, the half at 90 degrees, and idle at 180 degrees. I figured out the range of motion required for the R/C Bee, 0 was idle, 180 was 1/3 to 1/4 open for half, and 90 for full throttle. Had drilled a hole closer to the wheel center, so I could get the right travel, since the R/C Bee had less length of motion than a standard R/C motor.

It now worked in reverse, IDLE, then MEDIUM, then FULL throttle, but it worked. Had a total blast with it. The simplicity of single channel proportional rudder only with throttle control added a new dimension of fun for a calm afternoon of flying. I'd put in at least a dozen flights before calling it quits for the day.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:39 am

I use the backplate throttles from Bernie on a number of RC Air Cars my lad and I drive, put streamers on and have combats. sunny cheers They are from my experience for the application I have Excellent throttles!!!! I tried using OS G model RC carby throttles adapted to the backplate and the ones from Bernie are far superior! I also use the plug adapter Bernie sells with a glow plugs I purchased from him as I was buying stuff anyway. We drive and combat out cars in the suburbs with lots of houses around. We use concrete/bitumen tennis courts where several are joined together, or we use empty car parks. Because of the noise we use the Mufflers for the 049 that both Bernie and Matt sell, and I use them with the standard really small hole in them. You can hardly hear the engine running. Certainly no one could complain about the noise.! With the backplate throttle, plug adapter, muffler, and I mix my own fuel so I only put 10% Nitro in the fuel for these as Im not after high RPM. We get a really good steady 6,000 rpm which I have measured with "RPM Gauge". Not sure of the top revs as I didnt check, but I suspect its probably around 14,000. I find the throttle is very responsive going from the lowest rev setting to its max throttle setting and back down again. I have to admit, I was surprised by just how great all of the components work together to provide a really reliable, easy starting, and smooth throttling engine, which is basically a surestart. I have set the RC up to not close the throttle all the way and one of the buttons on my RC does cut it right off, that when when using it, I dont have problems with accidentally shutting the engine off, but have a button setup so as that I can if needed. Because our little cars are impacted by the gyroscopic effect of the engines/propeller we need to turn the car(s) differently or at different max speeds in different directions, and the wind effects them a lot, so we are using the throttle non stop. I was actually going to write a post exactly about this, as I was really surprised and impressed at how all the different parts worked so well! cheers I hadnt thought they really would, and most of the posts on the forum are about how to get MAX rpm, not lower RPM with good throttle control and very little noise! Thumbs Up Starting them requires different settings to the normal surestart without a muffler, throttle, glow adapter, and only 10% Nitro. I have found they need 5 1/2 turns on the needle/ choke them through several times, so as that they are almost flooded, and then with really good batteries they will start very easily. they then need the needle slowly wound back about 1 and 3/4 to 2 turns from the starting point and run great!. I have tried and tried other ways of starting them and other settings, and found this or me is extremely quick and reliable. If I use say 25% nitro the start only about 1/2 to 3/4 turns richer than normal. At the cost of Nitro and an application where Im not after super high revs, this combination works great. My Lad and I have actually only just walked back in from a session of Air Car Combat with them. cheers sunny

Pictures of one of the cars showing the engine, throttle, plug adapter and muffler below.
COX backplate throttle 20220726
COX backplate throttle 20220725

I have builds on the go for a hovercraft and a boat and both of these will be using the backplate throttles! cheers

I have used them in much higher rev applications with Kamtechnik Head, turbo plug, high nitro etc. And the results were still excellent!

Airplane sunny sunny cheers

Yabby

Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:15 pm

I was experimenting a couple years ago with the combination of the choke
type throttle and exhaust throttle. The purpose was to prevent loss of  the peak rpm because of the need to use a COX conversion head having a hot plug for sustainable idle (as we know COX conversion heads rob a few hundred rpm-s), and also achieve a good idle.

The exhaust throttle was connected to the control arm of the choke throttle, and this latter to the servo.

COX backplate throttle Screen44

When the choke and exhaust throttles are fully open, the engine revs as fast as a high comp COX head allows. When throttled, the exhaust throttle will retain the cylinder heat, and the flame does not go out under the cooling effect of rich fuel-air mixture. The results were quite good, so much that I dressed up a TeeDee with this combined throttle set too

COX backplate throttle 20220111

(This is a early 60-s old stock TeeDee with thin wall cylinder for which I devised an exhaust throttle, because the normal throttle barrel does not fit thin wall cylinders)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:44 pm

I see, András that at idle, you have tamed the unmuffled Tee Dee. Very Happy

Exhaust throttle coupled with a carburetor was common in the 1950's and 1960's. My OS Max .10R/C and Enya .09-III TV both have them.

COX backplate throttle Enya_018
Enya .09-III TV with exhaust baffle for decent idle without muffler.

COX backplate throttle Os_max18
OS Max .10R/C with exhaust baffle for decent idle without muffler.

What I find interesting is that with these one exhaust port engines, at full throttle they are no louder than an unmuffled Cox .049 engine. But at half throttle or less, they are just as quiet as a muffled engine.

The OS Max .10R/C is a really nice engine, because it only weighs 3 ounces, a good upgrade for that anemic .049 reed valve powered plane. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:22 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:

What I find interesting is that with these one exhaust port engines, at full throttle they are no louder than an unmuffled Cox .049 engine. But at half throttle or less, they are just as quiet as a muffled engine.

I have several engines with exhaust baffles -- I was always intrigued that they could still run with the baffle closed.  I suppose there was enough exit area due to leakage and the tiny hole in the baffle.

BTW, thanks to all of you with your comments on the throttle body. I have a pot full of Sure Starts that I bought up when they were being sold off at $6.99 -- some may be runners and some are poorly fitting, probably all parts bin engines.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:01 pm

andrew wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:What I find interesting is that with these one exhaust port engines, at full throttle they are no louder than an unmuffled Cox .049 engine. But at half throttle or less, they are just as quiet as a muffled engine.
I have several engines with exhaust baffles -- I was always intrigued that they could still run with the baffle closed.  I suppose there was enough exit area due to leakage and the tiny hole in the baffle.
There is a small amount of slop in the fitment of the rotating exhaust baffle on the OS, so exhaust gases do leak out around it during idle without any apparent problems. On the Enya, it also has a small hole about 1/16" in diameter, for exhaust gases to exit during idle, along with the edges around the exhaust circumference. Exhaust gases burble out without any problems, but with sufficient back pressure to maintain stable idle.

andrew wrote:BTW, thanks to all of you with your comments on the throttle body.  I have a pot full of Sure Starts that I bought up when they were being sold off at $6.99 -- some may be runners and some are poorly fitting, probably all parts bin engines.
I bought 2 Sure Starts from that same sale you did, Andrew. Fortunately, they both seem to have adequate compression. I suppose for some of the poorer fits, one could resort to all Castor fuel, and allow some Castor varnish to help with "fit". Good luck in your retrofitting these with the choke tube throttle assembly.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down