Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Cox_ba12

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Empty
Live on Patrol

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions

Go down

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Empty The R/C Bee, new to me and questions

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:14 am

I didn't have one until I noticed it on ebay while looking for Cox wrenches and it was on "Sellers other items." Also someone here was looking for parts. Cheap enough so i added it to my wrenches purchase. Glad I did as it completes the set for me, Dragonfly, Ranger, and the R/C Bee.

Photo courtsey of George.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions George10

Only this one is missing parts also, the throttle/muffler assembly and the reed retainer. Checked with Bernie and Matt, no luck there. Thought I could use the reed retainer from a horseshoe/postage stamp, but to small. Any ideas? Would a regular throttle sleeve work? I would think that it would.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013749
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013748
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013750

Also, is this the correct clunk? Looks way to long.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013745
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013746
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013747

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Empty Re: The R/C Bee, new to me and questions

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:51 am

There is no reed retainer shown in instructions? Clunk fuel tube seems a little longer but look alike with instructions drawing.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Scree108
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Empty Re: The R/C Bee, new to me and questions

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:56 am

By the way, USA modelers are lucky with Cox engines because you can find and buy every engine easily Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 pm

It's this picture posted by George and written by Jacob that has me curious. It looks like something is ahead of the reed.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Jacobs10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:38 pm

Bob, apart from your fantastic builds and resurrections, Thumbs Up if you followed the discussion in the other thread, explanation was given. This is a development version prior to settling on a production version. It has no reed. Shocked The designer used the RR-1 rear rotary valve or facsimile of mounted in a special housing on the plastic tank. Surprised Looking closely, the "what finally became the reed housing" has a channel cut out on the top of the housing, where the air-fuel mix from the NVA and intake hole nearby on the top of the tank enters into the crankcase. Eyebrows
In essence what the designer was attempting to recreate was a modern muffled RC RR-1 with integral tank. Tired w/ Coffee Read

Unfortunately it never made it past testing stages (perhaps the results weren't as sparkling as hoped for) and the company decided on going to a reed valve version instead. Neutral

If it had made it, we would have seen a different story, a practical higher powered .049 engine with tank. Cool

Hijacked
Seems after Leroy Cox sold his company to Leisure Dynamics, the Cox division was on a slow decline, including innovative designs (example, the series of Conquests) that never made it to production. silent

But, after seeing the boondoggle called the Queen Bee, Doh! made me wonder why they could not have instead come up with an upscaled .074 extruded crankcase Sure Start with lighter circular exhaust throttle ring muffler and radial mount, lighter in weight and more powerful. Huh... My 1965 Enya .09-III TV at similar weight is more useful as it can spin larger props with greater thrust. Very Happy

I think this is why the Queen Bee was short lived. Surprised A heavier less powerful engine than others is never good. No! A.C. Gilberts and Testors Series 21 engines are good examples. Shh Although fine engines, their extra weight limits the available airframes to put them in. Paranoid
Back To Topic  lol!

But, both you and @Kim have been able to turn sour apples into apple pie, as demonstrated in your abilities to turn things around by making underdog engines perform. cheers Beer Cheers drunken Beers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pm

Fuel tubing looks like same length.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t3351-cox-rc-bee

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Imag7810
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013710
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Sorry George, I'm so busy some days my feet don't hit the ground and I miss the fine print.

So the picture shows the development Bee? Is there a picture of the production version? Do you have a picture of the interior of your's? I just can't see that reed hung out there with no restraint as Levent's diagram shows.

Those throttle sleeves do not fit this cylinder. A first I thought a ridge on the bottom of the cylinder held it off but I removed any signs of one with 400 grit. Gave it a Berryman's soak and cleanup.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013754
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013755
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013756

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013759
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013758
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013757
The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013760

I would rob the throttle/muffler off the horse shoe, but that would make no sense if a part is missing.

Thanks for that side by side picture Levent. Guess the clunk is the right length.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:33 pm

Bob, my apologies. Sad Apparently, those latest universal exhaust throttle rings were designed to fit the last iteration of the non-SPI cylinders. The R/C Bee used a completely different muffler, so they must have for some odd reason changed the outer cylinder diameter for their new exhaust throttle muffler with the silicon muffler cover.
(Some engineer wanted to make his mark on things? Shoot, I remember those days in the workplace. Reading )

C-17 Different Size Engine Bolt Story (click to open):

This leaves one to replace the cylinder with a latter cylinder then to fit these throttle rings. I remember back in the 1970's, that Ace R/C sold two different throttle rings, depending on what year a cylinder was manufactured. One or the other fit the two most common available sizes.

The Sure Start cylinder because Cox added two boost ports on each bypass, is a slightly higher performance one than on the original R/C Bee, from what I gather. I'll have to pop the glow head off mine to have a look.

The good is, that if you were like a lot of others and picked up a couple Sure Starts when the Estes Cox side was closing for $7 plus shipping, perhaps one of those might work.

What I Meant To Say The bad is, as talk is cheap these days (sorry again Sad ), YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:20 pm

No problem George.  Evidently I missed the small print (and red arrow) on Levent's diagram too.  There is a ridge on the R/C Bees fuel tank that holds the reed securely in place that my old eyes missed.  Seems after I resolve the throttle/muffler problem I will have a fully functional R/C Bee.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Ledven10

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013761

All's right with the world now.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:29 pm

I was going to add, Bob, that if you have a Tee Dee style cylinder with SPI that fits one of those unmuffled throttle rings, then you'd have a higher performance R/C Bee. sunny
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:31 pm

I took a screenshot just now about this before you solved the reed question:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions Screen48
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:11 pm

Thanks Levent, yeah, I finally got it. Sad

I never showed you this picture.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013762
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Levent, yeah, I finally got it.  Sad

I never showed you this picture.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013762

Ooh, I'm honored! Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:35 pm

Right up there with an actual piece of fabric from Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega.

The R/C Bee, new to me and questions P1013763
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down