Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Tigercat RC pylon racer build project

Post  MauricioB Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:57 pm

dear friend, congratulations, that model is looking very good!
It must go very fast, very fast!
I will be attentive to the avences!....
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Tigercat RC pylon racer build project

Post  balogh Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:23 am

Thank you, Mauricio,

I have some "stage-fright" before the maiden flight, particularly because of the inverted engine that may touch the ground when I land on grassy terrain where the plane may bow if the small front wheel is stuck in a weed or pothole. The single, small diameter front wheel was not designed for flying in the wilderness, but on asphalted race tracks, I suppose.

Anyway, I did not build it to stay idle as a shelf queen, so will definitely fly it soon, after some issues with the tail wheel, and the TeeDee NV have been sorted out, so stay tuned, and thank you for the reassuring words!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:10 am

András, if you take the tail model and lift it up (indicated by green arrows), and release it, does it fall backwards? (indicated by a blue arrow), or is it kept with the engine resting on the ground?
If the model falls backwards, that is, returns to its initial position "alone", you have landing gear that will help you keep the landing line level. If the model, on the other hand, is tilted, you have to be much more careful when landing, since it needs (that model) very little force to tilt, and therefore the motor will be exposed more often.
Thus, if the model returns by itself to its initial position, you will be able to be more calm at the moment of landing, that the landing gear itself will help you to hold it in the correct position, you will be able to "lever" more smoothly and with more strength of your command. chance to keep it even forever.
If, on the other hand, the model does not return to its initial position on its own, the landing gear would not be helping you at that point, and you should land by exchanging depth angles more critically, as the model hits the ground. .
Generally when this happens, you can have two elevator positions from your radio, Dual Rate, when the model touches the ground, activate the maximum angle of the elevator by means of the dual rate lever and that way, pulling the elevator, you will have to have more easily the tail stuck to the ground.
Of course, you must take into account the speed of the model, because if you activate the maximum elevator travel before, it is possible that the model wants to resume flight abruptly and ends up hitting you. I hope I have explained myself, if not, tell me and we continue chatting.
that's the method I use when I land my Pitts 1/2 A and Kiosho's Mustang model with Enya .09 engine.

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 Balanc10
Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 Foto1010
Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 20200620

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:16 am

Thank you Mauricio, yes, because the Center of Gravity is behind the front wheel, when I lift the tail, then release it, the tail falls back to the ground, so the plane in principle is safe to land on smooth runway.

But the runways I use are not that smooth.

What I am concerned is when the plane is taxiing after landing with still some speed, and the front wheel sinks into a pit, or, is hooked by some weed, the plane will bow with its engine head hanging down,hitting the ground. The area where I fly is a small airport for Cessna size passenger planes with grass on it, but the surface is not that even as small model airplanes would need for take off and landing.

Anyway, I will take extra caution and slow the plane down in headwind as much as I can, so that it stops the soonest.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:11 am

The racer is coming right along , Looking good ! Small Cox Logo RC Plane Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:57 am

Thanks a lot, Eric.

The final assembly, waiting for a garage run of the engine, then the maiden flight is here:

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 20221011
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:45 pm

Beautiful airplane…. Elegant…..Really will like to see that one fly….Good luck with first flight!!!
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Thanks rdw777, I will try to shoot a video on a headcam...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:15 pm

András, nice work, your pylon racer looks fast sitting still. Very Happy I bet it will be one competitive racer, to be sure. Looking forward to seeing a video of it in flight. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:25 am

Thank you, George.
Will definitely try to make a video....not much was found on the net about this pylon racer of the 1970-s...I assume this will be fast but not with the standards of pylon racers of today..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:08 am

balogh wrote:Thank you, George. Will definitely try to make a video....not much was found on the net about this pylon racer of the 1970-s...I assume this will be fast but not with the standards of pylon racers of today..
You're welcome, András. I think the difference is the reduction in weight, which reduces wing loading and drag. Then one can go with a thinner wing section. The wheel housing adds drag. a slimmer fuselage reduces drag.

Anyway, that is my observation, but I really haven't kept up on speed performance, because my interests are different. I imagine it will be a fun flyer.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:33 am

Nice!! Looks more like a shark than a cat Very Happy RC Plane Hope the engine run is on target with the build Popcorn Flying
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 am

great build András! It looks really cool. its definately got that 1970s experimental speed aircraft look sunny . Well done and I hope the flight(s) go really well for you. Thumbs Up

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:38 am

Thanks Eric and Yabby,

Eric, maybe we can rename it Tiger(shar)-k-at?  lol!

Yabby, yes, a bit old-school but still classic shape , I cannot wait for the right weather to maiden it! I really like the inverted engine and its cowl, but fear for its vulnerability in landing on rough terrain where I fly..I hope sommersaults while taxiing after landing will be avoided, and  the nose section will survive...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:18 am

balogh wrote:Thanks a lot, Eric.

The final assembly, waiting for a garage run of the engine, then the maiden flight is here:

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 20221011

WOW! that is one slick looking aircraft! Really like the "mono"wheel landing gear. Looks like it should be a good flier too.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:51 am

Thanks, Rene, yes, the plane was supposed to have only a single front wheel, and the horizontal stab forming an inverted V, so that upon landing it is the tip of the stab that should touch the ground first, allowing some absorption of the gravitational energy before the tail of the fuselage also touches ground (this was in the building instruction of the gentleman who made the kit in 1976). The plane was most likely intended to be flown over smooth, asphalt runways of racing tracks.

Life on my end is different, an outlaw flyer dodging the drone laws,  I can only play with my RC planes in remote areas or at a friendly, small airport with grassy runway suitable for Cessna-sized propeller passenger planes, that is smooth enough for the real size planes but still bumpy for the model airplanes.

So I decided to elevate the tail section with the addition of tail wheel, and to minimize the inverted V setting of the stab, in order  to avoid the shock to the stabilizer when hitting the weeds on the runway, and still keeping the CG low, so as to lower the  somersaulting susceptibility of the plane while taxiing at high speed after landing, because such a somersault - if the front wheel sinks into a pothole on the grassy land - would damage the nose section (engine head and cowl both), .

All this is just a precaution and theories on my side, life will tell if landing is safe with the low-built, single front wheel plane on grassy terrain.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:02 pm

It is almost begging for a shark's mouth where the front wheel is. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:39 pm

George, in fact a good idea, I am still wondering about the decoration design, your idea is in the bucket of options, thank you!!!

I figure that the front part of the fuselage above the wheel compartment  is exposed to hot castor, precipitating from the main stream of exhaust gasses emitted by the inverted engine, so either I apply the shark jaw decoration as an epoxy paint pattern, or normal decals would probably soon give up and peel off, unfortunately..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:08 am

I went to the friendly airport today to maiden the Tigercat. Sorry, now videos as yet, I was alone and a bit thrilled at how the pylon racer will handle me...

10 or so flights later I can confirm, that

1. The Tigercat flies well but certainly not at the speed of nowadays pylon racers...just enough quick for me but not too much...my Quickie100 is much faster as an example.

2. The control surfaces are just OK, the ailerons remain efficient without a rudder even if the plane is near stalling at low speed

3. The position of the single front wheel and the low position of CG efficiently prevent the plane from flipping when hitting a pit or weed on the rough terrain in landing. So far the nice cowl and the inverted engine with the Kamtechnik head hanging down has never hit the ground.

4. I did not experience any harmful vibration of the fibre reinforced epoxy fuselage, my COX 5x4 black nylon prop was well balanced before the flights. So hopefully the elevator and throttle servos sitting in a tray fixed to the fuse bottom will survive.

5. The small vent openings cut in the front of the cowl, and the 1/3 cylinder hanging out of the cowl provide sufficient cooling, the engine does not overheat...true, the ambient temperature was less than 20C when I flew,  hot summer day temperatures near 35C will tell more.

6.  The orange epoxy spray paint I found withstands glow fuel and it's residues well. The paint is sold to cover the body of RC cars, that also burn glow fuel.

More to come from the next flying session when I will dare using a cam... Very Happy

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 20221012

Last edited by balogh on Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo correction)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:33 am

Clapping Clapping Clapping Beer Cheers It survived lol it don't surprise me much that it is slower But all in all it sounds like a pretty good flier and has the right stuff incorporated in the build to let it last a good while . Thanks Andres ! Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:45 am

Thanks Eric, I tend to praise only the planes that survive my trial flights no matter who to blame if it does not survive.. lol!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:05 pm

Congratulations on first flights!! Very pretty bird….I used to like to read the racer articles and advertisements in the 70’s …. Way over my head and budget at the time…. Thanks for sharing

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:52 pm

Thank you, Robert. This is also something new to me after the primarily balsa RC planes. But it is worth the experience and my tribute to the old-school racer planes and their designers of the 70-s...(the heydays of COX too, anyways)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:47 pm

Nice objective analysis Andras. Neither feast or famine. Beautiful plane that makes me want to build one.

What do you do with all your past builds?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:07 pm

Bob,

Thank you. I have altogether 10 or so past builds, they take turn in entertaining me in the field..they hang in my mancave on a tie rack.

Tigercat RC pylon racer build project - Page 2 20221013

I make sure that each gets airtime every season..

Last edited by balogh on Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next