Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Road Rage.. terror on our highways Cox_ba12

Road Rage.. terror on our highways Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Road Rage.. terror on our highways Empty
Live on Patrol

Road Rage.. terror on our highways

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Road Rage.. terror on our highways Empty Road Rage.. terror on our highways

Post  roddie Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:12 pm

Hi, I wanted to get your thoughts here on the subject. For me; it seems that every time I venture-out on the road, driving my vehicle.. (every time means literally every time....) I witness unsafe/aggressive driving.. and too often; what would certainly qualify as "Road Rage". Operators visibly upset by the traffic pattern.

I was a victim twice this week. One perpetrator tailgated me while I was averaging 5 mph "over" the 35mph posted speed limit. There was traffic just ahead of me. He finally veered-off (to the right) to an "on-ramp" to a divided highway.. where he politely flipped me off when I glanced over.. Shocked

Shocked yesterday there was a driver (a younger man..) who I noticed tailing me. I was in an unfamiliar area.. but keeping up with the congested traffic. I'm a good driver.. and I'm always aware of the surroundings on the road. He became uncomfortably close (when glancing in my RVM) I could see his mouth moving. Laughing Laughing He was noticeably agitated.. and finally passed me) on the right side.. as soon as the lane would permit (sounding his horn). Then he did the same thing to the next guy that was in front of him.

I see this road-rage behavior all the time.. recently. There's been a problem with off-road ATV's in the inner-city (Providence, RI) and the police are challenged with it..

It's getting scarier every day around here.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Road Rage.. terror on our highways Empty Re: Road Rage.. terror on our highways

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:45 pm

Roddie, what I have noticed is that more and more, the younger generation, not all, but a few, lack self control.

It is not you, it is them. I used to do something to challenge them, but not any more. One time in San Diego years ago, a driver waved a pistol at me through his open sliding rear pickup window. One, they don't personally know who you are, less have ever met with you.

If it is possible and you see it ahead of time, use your judgment, quietly get out of their way. If there is an alternate route you can go, albeit may be a little slower getting home but not bad, then try that route a few days.

Eventually, such are apprehended by the authorities. One cannot consistent misbehave on the highway and not get caught, develop a history.

I am reminded of a saying about motorcycles adapted from aircraft pilots. There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold, riders.

Hang in there, and don't let them get the best of you.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:42 pm

Thank you George.. but I feel the storm comin'..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:03 am

hey Roddie, it seems to happen everywhere...it happens here too and more and more.
By the way, I've watched this Steven Spielberg movie a few times, I think it's his first movie and it dates from 1971. I wonder what inspired him to create this movie? Maybe he experienced something similar and captured it in some way in his movie.
It seems that this thing about the roads has always existed, only now we are more people, more quantity and so it happens more often.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:22 am

roddie wrote:Hi, I wanted to get your thoughts here on the subject. For me; it seems that every time I venture-out on the road, driving my vehicle.. (every time means literally every time....) I witness unsafe/aggressive driving.. and too often; what would certainly qualify as "Road Rage".

Roddie --
I frequently see this myself. Seldom, if ever, do I drive over the speed limit, not because I'm inclined to obey the law, but simply because I don't get in that much of a hurry anymore. Several times this week, I've had folks, usually younger (that may not be relevant since most are now younger than me) take incredible chances by passing going up hill just to get up to the next vehicle ahead.

The other situation that often occurs is being tailgated when starting from a light or stop sign (bumper humpers). The 4x4 truck I usually drive has a 4 speed heavy duty trans with high ratio differentials -- it will pull a stump, just not very fast -- in other words, no JRS or jack rabbit start. With the low gearing, when shifting, it will noticeably slow down and I'll usually see their headlights disappear below the tailgate. It's not a brake check, just a normal gear change -- which is not quick when the trans is cold. By the next shift, they're usually back a couple of car lengths.

I'm with George -- stay the course! Karma's a bit*h!

a--

andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:33 am

Road rage and tailgating, brake checks are becoming everyday events in this part of the world too. With dash cameras used by more and more people , drivers report brake checking aggressors to traffic police and often the licence of the culprit is withdrawn or heavy fines are levied, that I could not agree more.

I would not have expected this to be so much of an issue in a highly motorized nation like the US, where driving cars is much more a part of everyday life than elsewhere, so I assume...plus your good, multi-lane roads allow aggressors to pass others when in a hurry or just having their braines flooded in lukewarm  water..

Road raging is more often with powerful German cars, and Mustangs I see more and more often in Hungary (and love seeing/hearing them when driven normally) . BMW, Mercedes and Audi are now often branded here as mafia cars not necessarily because only crooks drive them (I do not consider myself one just because driving an A5) , but Road rage is more often committed from these powerful brands. So combination of young age, high blood temperature and horsepower, ego and low brain cells are the names of the game.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 am

András, unfortunately here in US, we have our share of "idiots" as well. Doh! They even exist in my little city. And, they act just as foolishly as they do in other places. After a video camera system was installed in the local Salvation Army facility, abusive bipolar behavior suddenly disappeared from clients while obtaining food and help. I think a decrease in police presence may be a contributing factor to poor driving behavior.

Mauricio, lamentablemente, el video no está disponible en los Estados Unidos. Sad
Mauricio, lamentably, the video is not available in the United States. Sad
Road Rage.. terror on our highways 2023-021

Recently I read an interesting article, which may help to explain some of the unusual aggression. Reader discretion advised.

https://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/?p=267021
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:46 am

Last edited by Kim on Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:49 am

If it's possible to to find a positive in this mess, look at it this way.  You've got the makings of a great ( Huh... ) Road Trip movie. Thought about selling the rights?

I've seen people like your brother.  Devil It's hard to understand how they can live with themselves.  When my wife's mother passed away a couple of years ago, my wife considers that her sister now no longer exists.  Just one of those people who can say or do nothing positive and life is better when you just ignore the fact that she exists.  Our parents who have passed don't care.  Sometimes we feel like we owe something to their memory, but if they're gone they're gone and we need to make our own decisions based on our own current life and that of those around us.

Hate to sound harsh, but loose the grouch Kim.  You've just had a wonderful experience in the P-51.  Don't let him spoil it.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:52 am

I agree Rod , Darn Kim that's sucks down here you can get that butt whipping if you ask for it . anyway Back To Topic Yes that crap is here too , makes me glad I drive a pretty big truck ! I have a friend that I talk to and comes by now and then , He has this problem more than anyone I know but is on the road doing repairs and errands for his mom alot I mean it every time I talk to him pretty much so I finally told him it mite bee you ! Easter Bunny I get it now and then on the rural road into town. Women are bad like there running late all the time , I will just back off and let them around most times . . . morning traffic I don't have to and don't engage in the work people when I had that small Toyota truck It was alot worst . Roddie take that plate number down and call it in you don't have to give them ur name .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:55 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:

Mauricio, lamentablemente, el video no está disponible en los Estados Unidos. Sad
Mauricio, lamentably, the video is not available in the United States. Sad
Road Rage.. terror on our highways 2023-021
]

friend, maybe this link works in USA??
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:57 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Got some smiles out of this post, for a while I was that road rage guy. I was born in a hurry and it has never left me, I want to get there yesterday. If some one is doing 30 in a 35 MPH zone I thought it necessary to help him/her along the way. I never used a middle finger or blew my horn though, just got close enough so when there was room to pass I did.

I have been blessed with a wonderful family, my kids are God's gift as was my wife.

If there was a family dark cloud it was my 5 year older brother. His favorite expression was - I'll kill you!...Like if you tell Mom and Dad what I did - I'll kill you! Get out of my way or I'll kill you etc. First time it happened was in the school yard during recess, he was fighting another kid that was on top of him. I jumped on the back of the kid and pulled him off. My brother said - you ever do that again and I'll kill you. I chuckle about those events today. For context, my brothers nicknames were Quack and Ape man. Mom called him "The big I am". But he had a good side, once when Mom and Dad were out shopping I brought home a dead cat. My brother washed me up. He smoked and drank to excess and we lost him last year at 87 to Parkensons.

I was the subject of road rage once.......by a Cop. New Jersey Turnpike in a black 1961 Comet two door with my wife and infant daughter. In a hurry as usual I passed a guy in a new red 1955 Ford, looking over I could see from his uniform that he was a Cop. He then pulled up beside me and made a motion that I thought was - pull over. So I motioned back point to the curb. Do you want me to pull over i mouthed.

He blew his top, put on his hidden red lights and pulled me over. Coming up to the car he said - If you were bigger I would pull you out and beat the crap out of you. Totally confused I questioned him. You were giving me the finger he said. No I wasn't I was asking you if you wanted me to pull over. He finally cooled down when I told him I was in the Navy heading home on leave with my wife and family.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Road Rage.. terror on our highways Empty And now incidents while riding my electric bike

Post  sosam117 Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:10 am

My town has bike paths which are our sidewalks but much wider.
When I use my electric bike to do small/short errands I use the bike paths to go from my house to uptown for banking/haircuts/insurance agent/dentist/doctor and sometimes small grocery shopping.

My problems are groups of kids that take up the entire path and don't move over (I ring my bike bell to let them know I'mcoming).
Many times, Im at the crosswalk with the little "green" guy, telling me it is o.k. to cross.
The I get an impatient person who wants to turn right, honk at me because I'm crossing the street when I'm supposed to and I'm blocking him from making his right turn "on red".
I had one that actually darted out and turn in front of me, making his "right turn on red" and damaged the front wheel of my bike.
Thank God I was not injured! It cost me a new front wheel replacement.
Luckily, the electric motor on the front wheel was not damaged.

With all the idiots out there, I do were a bicycle helmet and knee (when wearing shorts) and elbow pads as well and light weight gloves.

As for being an aggressive driver. My parents taught me to leave a little earlier than later, so you won't have to "rush "and get aggravated because these "slow" drivers aren't moving fast enough.
I have either showed up a little early or just a little before the designated time.

Now my brother he is an aggressive driver.
When a lane closes down and there is a pinch down area back to one lane, my brother will speed up to not let the guy next to him merger back into the one lane. My brother thinks that guy should stay behind him as the the guy tries to speed up to get Infront of my brother.
My brother does the same in construction areas. but here he is so close to the guy in front of him that the diver on either the right or left side of my brother doesn't have a chance of merging into my brother's lane.

Last edited by sosam117 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:16 am

My New 2022 Ford Maverick truck is one year old this month and only 2300 miles. Mostly out here the other drivers around me are distracted a LOT texting. Like when I spent 35+ years on 2 wheels, I always have 360 awareness. Many times I slow and let idiots pass, other times I know the road well and common speed traps and have no problem passing and then increasing speed up to around 100 MPH to put lots of space between me and the idiot.

I have not yet added front and rear recording cameras due to my low use of the truck. That said, if I had the experiences you guys are reporting I would seriously have both front and rear cams for defense in court reasons...Down side IF YOU "BREAK CHECK" and get rear ended, YOU will be CHARGED

I learned (here) that if I call 911 to report an idiot (and tell operator I see them Text and driving erratically) rarely seems to evoke a Hwy Patrol or sheriff response. I started calling 911 and tell dispatcher the driver is obviously drunk driving. Ha usually Flashing lights in under 5 minuets. Pulled behind the State Patrol after he stopped the idiot. Waited and eventually he came back to ask what I needed. I told him this story and asked why If I report a drunk driver there is a response but if I report a texting driver , crickets. First he started to admonish me for a false report...I interrupted him to remind him I had no idea if he was texting or impaired, the on road behavior seems identical to me. He relaxed his attitude so I repeated my question, He paused a few and then said " Texting and driving ticket is very low cost, DWI is significant cost....." Ponder that

Final thought. Break Checking, because irritated by a tail gat idiot...You probably will be rear ended, you might loose control, the pile up may KILL some one....Just don't do it
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:37 am

I grew up and learned to drive in Boston, MA, and regularly make trips to Birmingham, AL from home an hour west of Tuscaloosa. So busy, high-speed travel is something I am accustomed to. Moving south had a certain appeal thirty years ago because "life was simpler, and moved slower down south." Not anymore!

When I'm on the interstate. I try to avoid "those guys."
However, the trip to work is awful! It is a 7 mile trip to the air base, with half being two-lane undivided road. This road is marked at 45 coming off the four-lane undivided road also marked 45 mph. Both roads lead to the base...the four-lane continues out of the city past the other side of the base, going from 45 to 55 at the edge of town, and increases to 65 mph just past the base through rolling hills,.farms and ranches. I no longer use this route because of the idiots trying to push their way past all the other base employees and service members. Most of the idiots are DoD civilian employees with "fancy cars," who drive like "we" are just getting in their way. The other bunch are the Undergrad Pilot Trainees, driving like Maverick in Top Gun. Mix in the left turn to the access road, the civilians racing to work north of the base, and the speed limit maintainers in the right lane. This becomes a recipe for everyone going to the base and points north all trying to be "the faster guy in the left lane...get out of my way, slowpoke!" Not where I want to be...

So I resigned myself to leaving for work earlier to take the slower, lesser travelled route...and still have to deal with idiot drivers. This road opens up to 55 mph for a brief stretch (1.5 miles) before dropping back down to 45 mph past trailer parks, small homes, and school bus pickup stops.

The other drivers tailgate, flash headlights, and perform dangerous passes in an area that has several blind drivewas and a few intersections. I just can't believe how these people think they are so anonymous, and that anonymity can cloak them from recognition. I drive past some as they are exiting their cars to enter their workspaces. And these are the ones complaining about "lack of teamplayer" mentality in "our" workforce. Of course there is no cohesiveness...that went out the window when those people decided the rest of us are in their way. Keep in mind I live in a county of 60k people, in the county seat of 30k people, and work on a base employing 3k, plus the pilot trainees. I see the same headlights in my mirror, and their bumpers in front of me, only to be behind them at the checkpoint gates...so I can see the drivers in their door mirrors as we drop to checkpoint gate speed (walking pace). And then I see them as I go about my business on the base, and recognize them out and about town.

Where is the common courtesy? Where is the mutual respect with fellow man? That was left behind two decades ago!
For this reason I now leave for work ten to fifteen minutes earlier just to avoid the mayhem. And even leaving early enough, I still get tailgaters with no real traffic congestion, other than they want to go around me, but the terrain limits visibility... really, with no one else in the road, they still tailgate. I'm slowly becoming that crotchety, negative old man with a disdain for my fellow planet inhabitants.
My wife reminds me that we shouldn't/can't let them take our humanity just because they lost theirs.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:59 am

The worst day of the week for me was when I had to drive home from work was Friday (3:30~4:00m).
Been retired now for six years.
Driving up I-55 in Illinois on Friday was a nightmare (speed limit at 65mph --- and I'm doing 65mph in the right lane).
College kids blowing by you probably at 90mph, many times on the right-side shoulder.
Had close calls many times where they cut back in front of me before hitting a bridge abutment or a construction trailer that blinks an arrow of road construction ahead.
and of course, the car is pack with 8 people for a car that only holds 6 people.
Stuff packed to where they can't see out the rear window.
And as usual, I usually got the horn blowing/finger gestures, tailgating, and the quick (close) cut back Infront of me.

And over the years I can recall of almost all of the accidents that I saw while having to drive 45 miles (one way) a day to go to work.
Head on crashes (cross the median), side swiped accidents, car~semi accidents, car~ construction equipment crashes, and the ones I like to see was always in the winter season, when they zip by me just to see them up the road in the ditch on the side of the expressway getting out of their "stuck" vehicle.

And I'm not including the time when I worked the night shift seeing drunk drivers weaving or going the wrong way on the express way.

Funniest one that still comes to mind was a Hyundi that had one guy and three girls in the car that blow past me ( me going 65mph -- speed limit) and as the Hyundi went past me, it threw a rod, and a bunch of smoke came out from under the car.
It was like being in a stock car race when the guy in front of you blows his engine.
Anyway, he coasted to a stop. I was a kind enough to stop behind him (as I was on my home from work) and took out my fire extinguisher and sprayed the underneath of the car as the oil was burning on the catalytic converter and could have engulfed the entire car?
The girls were grateful, and the guy was only worried about his car and how is he getting home.
I gave all four a ride to the next exit that had a garage (at Lorenzo road -- on I-55).
It's a small truck stop.
Got no thanks, from the guy, or any repayment for using my fire extinguisher on his car?
Though, I do have some cool video footage on my dash mounted camera Garmin of the incident.
One more thing was when I got home, I had to wash the car as there was spots of oil on my hood and windshield.

Love my Garmin video/GPS for when I drive!
Sitting on my laptop computer
Road Rage.. terror on our highways Img_0207
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:54 am

Everyone is always late. What are you going to do? Cars are also more powerful, stop faster, handle better than ever, so people get away with this nonsense until they don't. Then they crash and get to do it over because safety equipment is also best it's ever been. It won't get better, until the stress of daily life improves, and that's not happening in the foreseeable future.

90MPH in a modern car is nothing. People drive huge SUV and trucks that fast and don't think twice. Speeding on a divided highway in good weather? I don't care. If you're not going 15 over stay in the right lane. Anyhwhere else, don't be an idiot.

Pretty soon you won't be able to program your self driving car to go any faster that the carbon credits you can afford or the govt mandated speeds or permitted travel areas. Sad Goodbye
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:49 am

the old saying on motorcycle was "drop a gear and dissapear"
which i was a fan of, just get out of there
of course, now? its considered a challenge, and they will do their darnedest to catch up to you

i have a bit of a lead foot, and am known to regularly go 5 over the speedlimit on the highway.

age (not wisdom) has taught me
If you let someone else's actions dictate your emotions - you have given all the power to them

I have NO problem going the speed i want, in the right lane, stay out of the way, let the young guy in the OMG Dodge HellcatChargerFireHorse go as freaking fast as he wants.

I try my best to stay our of the left lane, except for passing. (novelty, some of us remember the left lane is supposed to be for passing only)

and I try my best to be calm at all times, and avoid the other idjits.

Saul, my 16yr old son, trying to learn to drive, asks "why is everyone always going so fast, why do they speed up when I put on my turn signal, and - you are probably right when you say everyone else out there is crazy"

the right plan for me, on a daily basis - is calm, let em go, dont worry about it.
on long road trips? the plan involves always getting home. and a .357 behind the seat.

I agree with GaryK - it wont be long before its all autonomous, and we have no control anyhow. Enjoy driving while we can.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:50 pm

gkamysz wrote:90MPH in a modern car is nothing. People drive huge SUV and trucks that fast and don't think twice. Speeding on a divided highway in good weather? I don't care. If you're not going 15 over stay in the right lane. Anyhwhere else, don't be an idiot.
Even the modern cars have a false caveat. A head on at 55 MPH (90 kmh) is equivalent to a single vehicle traveling 110 MPH (180 kmh) into a brick wall. Fully belted passengers with air bags activated still die.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:52 pm

Someday (not in my lifetime though) we'll be driving cars like in the movie "I robot".
All done autonomously.
Cars, buses, any vehicular machine.

In the movie "I robot" when you get on the expressway there is a "car" transport that your vehicle automatically drives into to reduce traffic congestion, then when you're near your exit, your car exits the transport and drives itself to your jobs parking lot.

Interesting in the movie that the cars have the Audi logo on them?
Interesting movie to watch about "as usual" a computer taking control to curb man's bad habits.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:23 pm

Highway patrol officers never seem to see/catch these perpetrators in the act. Driving aggressively on a divided highway is bad enough.. but on an undivided (2-way traffic) roadway, it's a recipe for disaster.

Twice in the last few months, I've had to veer into the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision with someone attempting to pass "blindly"...... without anywhere near enough clearance.

When these drivers "screw-up" and cause an accident, it's always someone else's fault.. not theirs.

Since the onset of the Covid pandemic, there's been a huge rise in "NEW" prescriptions for ADD and ADHD meds. to apparently treat the displaced people having to work or study from home. There is currently a shortage of one of the meds that my wife has been taking for years, because of it being over-prescribed. The med is an amphetamine-class drug.. which is not a med to fool around with.. especially if someone isn't used to it.. or prescribed too high a dose.. or if the subject is misdiagnosed.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:18 pm

sosam117 wrote:Someday (not in my lifetime though) we'll be driving cars like in the movie "I robot".
All done autonomously.

Actually, we're not that far away now.  My stepson has a Tesla that is equipped with a self-driving lane following algorithm.  Part of his commute is on a multi-lane highway and he works in his car while it drives him to work.  He remains in the driver's seat, but pays only slight attention to driving. When he visited last, he told me his car suddenly jumped half a lane to the right, then a motorcycle that was lane splitting flew by and the car returned to his lane.  He did say it startled him until he realized what it had done.  Apparently, equipped with both forward and rearward looking cameras, his car spotted the motorcycle, identified it as lane splitting, checked the right hand lane, moved over then back.

I also asked about charging. He told me that he enters his starting point and the destination, then the car determines the location of all charging stations along the route and identifies the one he should choose to ensure not running low of battery power.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:56 am

andrew wrote:
sosam117 wrote:Someday (not in my lifetime though) we'll be driving cars like in the movie "I robot".
All done autonomously.

Actually, we're not that far away now.  My stepson has a Tesla that is equipped with a self-driving lane following algorithm.  Part of his commute is on a multi-lane highway and he works in his car while it drives him to work.  He remains in the driver's seat, but pays only slight attention to driving. When he visited last, he told me his car suddenly jumped half a lane to the right, then a motorcycle that was lane splitting flew by and the car returned to his lane.  He did say it startled him until he realized what it had done.  Apparently, equipped with both forward and rearward looking cameras, his car spotted the motorcycle, identified it as lane splitting, checked the right hand lane, moved over then back.

I also asked about charging.  He told me that he enters his starting point and the destination, then the car determines the location of all charging stations along the route and identifies the one he should choose to ensure not running low of battery power.

a--

Well, in the "I Robot" movie, everything is autonomous.
Garbage truck, Mail truck with robot to inset your mail into the box, buses with robot drivers, trains too.
The humans just go to their small cubical and monitor the automation.

Watch it. ---- "I Robot"
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:23 am

roddie wrote:Highway patrol officers never seem to see/catch these perpetrators in the act. Driving aggressively on a divided highway is bad enough.. but on an undivided (2-way traffic) roadway, it's a recipe for disaster. Twice in the last few months, I've had to veer into the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision with someone attempting to pass "blindly"...... without anywhere near enough clearance.
Was your state or if the highway you travel is in another state, those states defunded the police or did something to cause a sufficient number to quit, so that the remaining are doing other higher priority duties besides patroling highways? Huh...
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:40 pm

Perhaps a follow on topic for the Red Neck Zone...

I have some exceedingly strong opinions on Defunding, Priority, Boarder security (impacts a lot of states patrolling) and general USA driver inability to take the task at hand seriously.

failing a new topic I will say. Society today is very self centered and in keeping with the topic of Road Rage, Most of what I observe is caused by inattentive and very selfish me first drivers. AND nit wits completely oblivious to their surroundings and how it angers other drivers. Add in a significant lack of traffic COPs that even can identify the problem and take the correct action, many time they themselves causing the frustration...evidence the State Patrol in the very left lane at 67MPH in a 75 zone....grrrrrr...Only time this behavior is acceptable in in bad or icy weather...IMO it is just plain rude and pisses every body off.. For what it is worth when I come up in good WX and the Texas State Patrol is under the limit in the (Passing only ) left lane, I always pass him on the right ( just under posted speed limit) and dare him to pull me over...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next