Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane  flyer??? Cox_ba12

What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane  flyer??? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane  flyer??? Empty
Live on Patrol

What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane flyer???

Go down

What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane  flyer??? Empty What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane flyer???

Post  balogh Tue May 16, 2023 10:44 am

I am embarrassed to admit to you CEF friends,  that I have morphed from a proud outlaw flyer into a legit RC flyer recently, when I finally submitted my registration documents to the Hungarian aviation authorities, and got registered as a UAS (=unmanned aircraft system) operator, and registered an UAS with a serial mark "Powered by COX", an insignia I designed and put as a home made decal  on all my COX powered RC planes (almost 10 or so), with no distinction. ...this trick may allow me to avoid multiple UAS registrations, which is unnecessary anyway, given that I always fly only one plane at a time (who knows, one day I may fly even 2 or more, or just simply fly one but see several, thanks to my ageing eyesight... RC Plane )

Now I have all pre-requisits of a UAS flyer, like  the UAS pilot licence for A1/A3 Open sub-category operations (that I got after I had passed an exam on the internet) , a third party liability insurance ( a coverage I have because of my silent membership in the Hungarian Modelers' Association), the recently earned UAS pilot and UAS plane registrations, so the only thing that is required is a land where UAS flights are time-to-time allowed after checking in with authorities through a mobile application. (Given that I fly on the small airstrip of a friendly aerodrome that has permanent permit, I do not even bother checking in..I know that for most of you CEF friends this misery of land where to fly is unknown, you just drive a few miles and the vast American land opens up for your free pastime activities, including RC flying...I cannot say how envious  Smile I am when seeing Kim's videos , his birds taking off in his front yard, and flying with no concern about obstacles, authorities, neighbors, dog-walkers, and the like...)

While the drone categories - and IC engine powered RC planes are also qualified as drones - are strictly describing the particulars of all drone classes from C0 to C4 or so, these are all common in that, they are electrically powered.

Then, here I come with our IC engine powered COX RC planes, which, by drone law definitions, are non-classified drones. My COX planes  do not really have to comply with C0...C4 class requirements, just make sure not to fly them over, on near people in crowds, and stay with them within  VLOS (=Visual Line of Sight), while also not exceeding 120m flight altitude..

Finally a legit pilot, I at least will have a few less butterflies in my stomach when flying the next time..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane  flyer??? Empty Re: What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane flyer???

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 16, 2023 12:27 pm

Congratulations, András! Hand Shake

I am reminded of an old Murphy's Law with regard to military combat (satirical humor based on commonly observed truths drunken ): Look unimportant, the enemy may be low on ammunition. Shh

Unfortunately worldwide, I am seeing more government red tape restrictions being placed on areas where previously, common sense prevailed. It is one of the reasons why I feel blessed living in a rural (small town) setting. I gather the same is for you and others, too.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane  flyer??? Empty Re: What??? Have I really become a legit COX RC plane flyer???

Post  balogh Tue May 16, 2023 12:51 pm

Exactly the same here George..we are seriously contemplating with my wife to give up our metro -albeit suburban- life and move to our small town lakeside house for good, where the small airport I mentioned is within 15 minutes drive too. More cozy life, access to my hobby and a beautiful lake...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue May 16, 2023 2:02 pm

We moved to a smaller city about 15 years ago for similar reasons when I retired early, I can see Lake Erie from the yard. The old home had a pretty good flying club, although our field here is pretty good. Not that easy to find places to fly though. Recently we have had to get the license and register each plane too. I just got everything paid for yesterday, so now I can fly without too much trouble. Not happy about it though. We need a flying log and keep records, registration # on the plane, and of course $5 per plane and $10 for the license. (80+ planes in the house, but control line is exempt.) I guess the rules are the same worldwide. Great excuse to cash in. Oh ya $1,000 fine if any rule is broken, and they will find multiple infractions to make it worth the trouble. 400 ft. height limit, transmitter servicing logbook???? They got some good multiple fines for drones dropping presents in a prison yard, of course when a cop smacked into a plane it was just one infraction. Really the only full size plane incident which was the reason for all this. We used to only need a phone# or MAAC#.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue May 16, 2023 3:44 pm

Congratulations Andras!…. I know that had been concerning to you for a while now….I hope all the benefits of being “legal” will be good and positive for you Very Happy ….. You’ll have to share with us how that is working out…I’m very fortunate to have good places to fly…. My Cox powered planes fly near a lake in our county as well…. It’s about 25 min from home and remote so usually no one is there during the week except the lake attendant…. I tell her I’m going to the back side to fly model airplanes and she says “ Oh - OK… Have fun”… I’ll take some photos of the lake next time I’m out there…. There’s a city park in the neighboring town about about 10 min away I fly a couple of electric park flyer types…. I have a couple of ultra lights I fly right beside my house when weather is just right…. Everything I’m flying, at least at the moment, Is sub 250 gram…, For no special reason other than small and light has caught my interest lately….. They can be made to work well in the breeze we have here if wing load is appropriate….Closest club is about two hours away so I guess I’ll be solo for now…
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue May 16, 2023 5:06 pm

Thanks Robert and Aspeed..I do not expect much change now that I am legit...just in case someone decides to report me to the police I will have the paperwork to back me...I may decide to fly in the suburb of Budapest in a meadow i.e an area where I cannot get the flying permit but at least my other docs are in place so the fine will be less...not that in the past 13 years I have been harassed too much..in fact I did not have any beef with anyone.

It turns out he 250 grams limit makes the difference beween you need insurance or not. I read the rules and I am OK to fly in every respect up to 900 grams which is way more than my TeeDee09 powered birds weigh...if I understood all well..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 16, 2023 5:59 pm

Recently, I read a little on the next step proposals by the US Gov. FAA to require special telemetry annunciators for our diminutive RC planes.

https://www.modelaviation.com/Remote-ID-Broadcast-Module-Update

It starts this Fall. I'm beginning to think that my days with R/C may be limited, returning to free flight and control line.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue May 16, 2023 10:43 pm

Do not give up George no matter how law abiding citizen you are.

The drone categories C0...C4 already are defined in the EU to have the telemetry annunciators...but these UAS by definition should also be electric powered, not IC engine powered, so the latter are non- classified and as such the telemetry annunciators are not a must..please check if the US drone law also differentiates between classified drones and non-classified ones..

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/domains/civil-drones/drones-regulatory-framework-background/open-category-civil-drones

Last edited by balogh on Tue May 16, 2023 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue May 16, 2023 10:46 pm

Hi balogh,
Thanks for sharing on this important subject.
It bugs me.
Early pandemic, I started flying small electrics in parks near here. (5-10min bike ride away)
Zero problems. (other than getting feet wet on morning dew)
Biggest fear is 'illegal' unleashed dogs while landing...
250g (without batteries or fuel I hope !) is limiting but doable.
400ft, no problems, I like ~3ft wingspans.
Filing a flight plan? Paperwork? Paperwork you need a computor to do? What?
Fudge That. (poo poo joke !)
I have been part of many clubs, events, over the decades. Loved every minute.
But,
I did some math,
I can join a full scale soaring club, cheaper and less bull$hit.
Hate to say it,
But the way I feel,
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

P.S. I have a 2ft wingspan 'scale' Monarch Butterfly on the work table.
(elevons/sleeve throttled Cox.049) Working on cg issues.
I can get two, three flights in, go home.
Someone will call the cops,
" I report a Big loud Monarch butterfly doing loops and rolls"...
Cops show up, "tell me more about this big butterfly, when was the last time you took your medications?"
Thanks Cox engine Forum Cool

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down