Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Cox_ba12

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Empty
Live on Patrol

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects

Go down

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Empty Fall S.M.A.L.L projects

Post  batjac Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:52 pm

I don’t know if I will be able to attend Fall S.M.A.L.L., but in the hopes that I will be able to, I am going to start on three, possibly four projects.  They’ll all be RC, as I have too many control line planes as it is.  

Last year at a swap meet, I got a deal on two sets of Ace foam wings and a Simple Cub kit.  One wingset was the non-tapered wings, and the other wingset was the pre-cut/pre-beveled wingset for the Ace Whizard.  Back when the RCM articles first came out in the mid 80’s for the Simple Cub (OZ Plan) and the Simple Citabria (OZ Plan), I ordered the Ace wings and built one of each.  They were really fun to fly and were always a big hit at the field when I brought them out.  I eventually gave them both away when I moved.

At the just past S.M.AL.L. there was a guy with a Simple Cub.  I assume he will bring it again, so I don’t want to build one and be a copycat.  Other people should copy me….  So I’ll build the Simple Citabria.  I liked it better of the two anyway.  As an aside, I looked at the American Champion Aircraft website today to see if there were any new paint schemes, but they are all the same old ones.  But, I decided to look at the price of a base model Citabria like I used to own 30 years ago.  The base model with no options is currently selling for $279,000!!!!!  I have plans for an equivalent homebuilt, and even with a new engine it wouldn’t cost me more than $40,000-$50,000 to build.  Of course, I’d opt for a used, rebuilt engine and used instruments.

I was never a big Whizard fan (OZ Plan), and never really considered building one, but since the wing panels are precut and shaped for the Whizard, I might as well build one.  Should make for a nice, relaxing flyer that doesn’t take too long to build.

The third plane will be a conversion.  At a swap meet somewhere I got an electric Super Sportster (Kit) that was in pretty good shape.  I think I bought it for $30 or so.  I think I’ll convert it to a slimer.  At 48”, it’s the same wingspan as the glow Super Sportster 20, but only 383 sq.in. versus the plans article quoted 400 sq.in. area.  I don’t know if I have any RC carbs for the OS LA-S .25 engines I have, but I’m sure I’ll be able to dig something up before October.

The fourth project depends on whether Willy Nillies does another wing contest.

I’ll keep this thread updated as I go along. Besides, I learned that my RC flying skills are pretty rusty and I need to re-trim the RC planes that I brought this time around.

The Anticipatory Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Empty Re: Fall S.M.A.L.L projects

Post  roddie Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:53 pm

batjac wrote:

Other people should copy me….

The Anticipatory Mark

I've always admired your spirit Mark!

It must have been sOoOo Cool to attend S.M.A.L.L. I bought X2 sets (circa 1993) of the Ace styro-panels; both of which were constant-chord. Around that time, Tower Hobbies offered the Ace "All-Star Bipe". I bought that kit (still NIB) and an OS Max .10FP/RC (still NIB w/remote needle kit) for it. The Bipe kits' wing-panels (both sets..) are tapered.

Regarding the Whizard, You have on-board electronic components available today.. (tiny LiFe RX batt. packs and nano-servos) saving a HUGE amount of weight for a 1/2A RC model that was designed back in the... what.. 1980's? Do you have a Cox TeeDee .05/RC engine? That would be a good candidate. If you want to go "throttle-less".. you've got tons of options. Even an anemic 1/2A reed-valve engine would fly it.... given the weight-savings in modern RC gear.. and if the paint/finish/trim is kept light as possible. The Whizard seems a logical model for you to continue with. Guessing you'll look at building it "next".... just in case you do make it to Fall S.M.A.L.L.

I'm envious Mark. You always provoke thought in your writing. Looking forward to how you continue. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:52 pm

Okay.  I made up the .SVG files for the Simple Citabria.  Here’s a quick video of the balsa being cut.  Unfortunately, the wood is not very good and was kind of dry in one of the panels where different pieces of wood were edge glued to make the 6” wide sheet of 3/32” balsa.  You work with what’s available.  I went to the hobby shop but they didn’t have 6” sheets of 3/32 balsa.  Hobby Lobby had some, but it was terrible.  Dry and extremely warped.  I picked the best three sheets to work with.  Dry wood tends to tear rather than cut in the Cricut machine.  S’okay.  It wasn’t too bad and will be easy to work around.

This is just one pass.  No need to watch the other passes that are exactly the same.  Normally it’s seven passes, but with the wood as dry as it is, it only took three passes.  No, I don’t remember what I was watching while cutting these.  Some cheesy Sci-Fi movie, I think.

The Automated Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:24 am

Hi Mark,
The 48in span Super Sportster is a great plane to fly.
Like a streamlined Astro Hog.
Buddy built one, I had a K/B .20 Sportster we put in it.
Flew great. Put the fuselage mounted LG rather than the wing mounts.
3in + wheels rather than the wheel pants.
5 yrs, or more, great flying. Eventual hanger rash did it in.
I have .25 R/C carbs that will fit your OSLA's.
Also a NIB OSFX.25, if you want the max, in SMALL flying.
Same postage for me, I'll pay.
Free, send me your address, via message here.
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:28 pm

I have all my balsa cut out, but I need to cut the 3/32” ply parts.  So, I started digging around in the garage and pulled out this:

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects 20230610-123218

My 35 year old Dremel scroll saw.  I haven’t used it in at least 25 years.  I have newer scroll saws, but since I used this for my first Simple Citabria, I decided to use this for the build.  Unfortunately, I do not have any blades for it, and I can’t find any 3” scroll saw blades around here.  Apparently no one uses 3” blades anymore.  I ordered some blades off of Amazon, but they won’t be here until Monday.  I’m going to be heading out on Wednesday for a week to see my son’s college commencement, so I won’t be getting very far on this in the next couple of weeks…

Something I don’t think I ever noticed back in the day.  I was looking in the scroll saw’s owner’s manual (yes, I still have the paperwork after 35 years) and found these interesting illustrations:

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects 20230610-123621

The scroll saw is a hobby model, and the manual shows using it for building model airplanes!  Kismet!

The Musical Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:39 pm

Okay, slight change of plans.  I am still going to build the Citabria and modify the Super Sportster.   But instead of the Whizard, I am going to build my Papillon kit.

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Papillon

I’ll do a separate thread on that build when I get to it.

The Revisionist Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:03 am

Okay, not an exciting update, but the last before I have to go out of town.

My 3” blades finally came in, so I spent about 45 minutes disassembling and cleaning the Dremel until it looks brand new.  I dug out my last sheet of 3/32” ply and cut out the firewall and landing gear doublers.  Man! I forgot how sweet this scroll saw cuts!

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects 20230613-233753

The cuts don't look that smooth, part of that is the crappy phone camera and part is that I just rough cut them to do the preliminary gluing of the blind nuts in place.  I'll finish sand them before gluing up the fuselage.

The Sweet Tooth Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:11 am

Took a little time and cleaned off the work table and cut a building board this afternoon, so I got back to this. I glued in the doublers on the fuselage and then glued in the firewall and former.  I had forgotten that there was no former between the firewall and the former at the rear of the cabin.

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects 20230719-234955

The Incremental Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:17 pm

batjac wrote:Okay, slight change of plans.  I am still going to build the Citabria and modify the Super Sportster.   But instead of the Whizard, I am going to build my Papillon kit.

The Revisionist Mark

That is a rare one Mark. Can't find much about it other than more than one model goes by that name.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175588237276
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:30 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

That is a rare one Mark.  Can't find much about it other than more than one model goes by that name.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175588237276

Bob,

Hobby Lobby at one time had very slick box art for the Kyosho Papillon.  (box art here).  I don't know if Kyosho put the color label on the box when they sold the kits to Hobby Lobby or if HL did it in house.  The box that I have obviously isn't as slick.  In fact, the single color label was just slapped on.  On the bottom of the box.  The plans in the box don't even have Kyosho printed on them, and the only thing that ties it to HL is the typed instruction sheet that comes with the plans.  Maybe the kit that I have was an early import.

The kit I built as a kid was ordered from America's Hobby Center, so it must have been a separate package deal.  I imagine Kyosho sold these by the thousands to different wholesalers/retailers.  But I must have gotten a really early import kit.  The one I had didn't even have English instructions.  The plans were printed in Japanese and all the measurements were in metric.  Imagine a 16 year old kid from Alabama who had never built a radio controlled plane before, with no one to help/advise him on how to build a balsa model plane, and who's only experience with Japanese characters was watching Godzilla movies on late night television, looking at the plans and trying to figure out how to put this thing together.  Was not a successful endeavor.

The Mono-Lingual Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:43 pm

A few minutes to play with this.  So ply floorplate, nose doublers, and bottom sheeting glued in.

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects 20230720-230134

The Dribs and Drabs Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:24 am

batjac wrote:Okay, slight change of plans.  I am still going to build the Citabria and modify the Super Sportster.   But instead of the Whizard, I am going to build my Papillon kit.

The Revisionist Mark

Very cool Mark! So maybe one of those two Bee's from your recent RCG purchase could power this?

Maybe even a throttle option...  Eyebrows

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Rcg_pu10

Those carbs use a "snap-on" type reed-holder.

Fall S.M.A.L.L projects Cap-st10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down