Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The "Funky Bee" Cox_ba12

The "Funky Bee" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by Cox International Today at 2:54 pm

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Today at 2:47 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by akjgardner Today at 12:59 pm

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by 944_Jim Today at 12:44 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 9:48 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Yesterday at 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

» So to the rescue of an EZ BEE .049 r/c
by MauricioB Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:01 am

» Sturdi Built?
by rsv1cox Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:58 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The "Funky Bee" Empty
Live on Patrol

The "Funky Bee"

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The "Funky Bee" Empty The "Funky Bee"

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:14 pm

The Funky Bee.  ebay.  I couldn't leave it alone.  

This COX 049 FUNKY BEE engine is perfect for powering your airplanes with ease and efficiency. With a 2-stroke engine and compatibility with .049 1/2A scale, this engine will surely provide an excellent performance. The brand of this engine is COX, known for their quality and reliability. This engine is suitable for gas/nitro engines and is compatible with various types of vehicles, including airplanes. Order now and experience the power of COX 049 FUNKY BEE!

The "Funky Bee" Ryb8rt10

Looks made up.  Standard straight nose with a slit cylinder and an early or turned down small head needle for cheap money.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The "Funky Bee" Empty Re: The "Funky Bee"

Post  Admin Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:52 pm

I couldn't think of anyone better to give that engine the love it needs.

Looks to be a Golden Bee tank on a later front end using an early style snap starter. Babe Bee .049

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:08 am

Same starter as on my 1978 R/C Bee, said to remove about 300 RPM from top end due to constant rubbing of spring over plastic cam end. I never removed it off my model, never noticed the reduction in RPM.

Zamack metal tank back is preferred over latest plastic back.

Bob, you bought it, or just commenting on an EBay find? If priced right could be worth it, especially if like new compression.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:11 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Same starter as on my 1978 R/C Bee, said to remove about 300 RPM from top end due to constant rubbing of spring over plastic cam end. I never removed it off my model, never noticed the reduction in RPM.

Zamack metal tank back is preferred over latest plastic back.

Bob, you bought it, or just commenting on an EBay find? If priced right could be worth it, especially if like new compression.

Yes, seller had it at $29.99 BIN.  I contacted them and offered $25.00 which they accepted and immediately charged my account.  A sorta new ebay feature within the last few months.  I like it it. Saves a step or two, but you better be serious when you make the offer when no offer is indicated.  

I will clean it up and run it then make a mount and include his "Funky" description.

The "Funky Bee" 7b2yky10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:09 am

rsv1cox wrote:Yes, seller had it at $29.99 BIN.  I contacted them and offered $25.00 which they accepted and immediately charged my account.  A sorta new ebay feature within the last few months.  I like it it. Saves a step or two, but you better be serious when you make the offer when no offer is indicated.

I will clean it up and run it then make a mount and include his "Funky" description.
You got a good bargain, Bob. Stunt tank and Zamack back make it worth it.

Back looks new. "Funky Bee" would make a good story description for the Cox Engine of the Month Contest.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:30 pm

That’s a neat thing about Cox engines…. Even pieces from a parts drawer can be put together and make an engine that will function just fine….”Funky Bee” happens to have some character….I get it on the attraction Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:17 pm

"This COX 049 FUNKY BEE engine is perfect for powering your airplanes with ease and efficiency...not to mention with extreme Groovyness!!!"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:50 pm

I might have bought that too. Just because of the written advertisement.

Makes me think of George Clinton.

https://youtu.be/K6BdzIxkAXU?feature=shared
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:46 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I might have bought that too. Just because of the written advertisement.

Makes me think of George Clinton.

Funk makes me think of Candy Dulfer, Dutch saxophonist.

lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:41 pm

The Funky B limped into West Virginia today.

PO mangled the glow head and the needle.  It seems he/she tried to file the needle down to fit in a hole and cut a slot for a screwdriver adjustment.  I can't tolerate either so I will probably turn the glow head down and clean up and re-blue the needle.  Other than that......she's a looker!!!!

The "Funky Bee" P1017859

And.................and just so ya know.........I'm having peanut butter and marshmellow sandwiches for supper tonight............like ......right now.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:32 pm

The funky Bee, saving the good funk, eliminating the bad,,,,,,,,

The "Funky Bee" P1017866
The "Funky Bee" P1017867

Uh.........?  

The "Funky Bee" P1017868
The "Funky Bee" P1017870
The "Funky Bee" P1017871
The "Funky Bee" P1017869

I had planned to run it before I cleaned it up.  Forgot it, good thing I didn't try.  I think the PO was running acetone for fuel.  I have never seen one like this before.

Last edited by rsv1cox on Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:46 pm

That one was surely crusty Bob…. After seeing the first photos I didn’t know if you could save the nipple…. Looks like it turned out OK….. Yes, That one is asking to be ran!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:16 pm

rdw777 wrote:That one was surely crusty Bob…. After seeing the first photos I didn’t know if you could save the nipple…. Looks like it turned out OK….. Yes, That one is asking to be ran!!

The time for me to run it was before I cleaned it up.  Sad........It wouldn't have ran anyway.  Curious position of the fuel tube pick-up....pictures above.  In the opposite position for C/L flying.  PO had a sense of humor.  I found more made-up parts.  The prop drive washer is brass not black or natural as in most Golden Bees, and the prop machine screw has a hex head not slotted.

I cleaned up the head of the needle on the drill press and the cylinder head too removing all the tool marks and re-bluing the needle with Brownells Oxpho blue.  Replaced all the gaskets with new ones but kept the mylar reed.  

The "Funky Bee" P1017872
The "Funky Bee" P1017873

Nice engine, lot's of compression and no tool marks.  Added the safety tip for color.  I'm building a Funky mount for it.  

The "Funky Bee" P1017874

I may run it, but I have so many ahead of it.  So much to do, so little time.

The "Funky Bee" P1017877
The "Funky Bee" P1017875
The "Funky Bee" P1017876
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:05 pm

Babe Bees with that red starter cam have the brass drive plate as standard. That’s genuine solid brass, i.e not anodized aluminium. Could bee the same with the Golden Bee and Black Widow of the same era. Usually in pictures the starter cam covers the drive plate so it’s hard to say. The big book probably has this information.

And, as we know, sometimes tanks or crankcases were not gold anodized on Golden Bees, so the Funky Bee might be a factory original after all.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:24 pm

Thanks, @KariFS for pointing out the slightly smaller brass prop thrust plate. This is the same as on my late 1970's R/C Bee.

Bob, your clean-up of "Funky" shows your buy was worthwhile, especially with like new compression. Does the cylinder have SPI, or is the later dual port non-SPI like on my R/C Bee?

The starter cam is also the same on my R/C Bee, sits over the prop plate, not the later six sided hex edge prop plate of later models.

The "Funky Bee" Cox_0414

If SPI, more power to you, if not, still provides decent power especially unmuffled. But, I still can't get over that you inherited the more preferred Zamack back instead of the later hard plastic back.

Regarding the needle, someone with expert machining skills like @MauricioB could knurl a new edge on it's finger knob. Thumbs Up It amazes me how using his larger lathe, it has such precision that it can turn small parts accurately, too.

Then it could be called, "El Dorado" Bee. Very Happy (dorado = golden in Spanish.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:00 pm

Yes, the small brass driveplate is indeed the same as on RC Bee. Could be that they were made to be used with the cast crank case, which is of a different material. When the cast case was dropped, they probably decided to use them with the regular cases as long as they last.

I have several Babe Bees and a couple of horseshoe engines with the brass plate. Some of them had the red cam, some didn’t, but all the Bees with the brass plate had the metal back plate and two-slit exhaust ports. Some kind of interim version I guess. The red cam is not a great design, as it tends to work loose easily (in my experience). The hex cam, that came after the red cam is much better in that respect. Not pretty, but functional. I have never seen a Bee with the hex drive plate and the metal back plate.

Here’s a bunch of engines I bought as a lot a few years ago. In the mid row you can see 3 Babe Bees with the brass drive plate and metal back plates. My first Bee is just like those (still have it), original from the factory (except for the Kavan tank extension).

The "Funky Bee" Img_0019

Here’s one of them (or another one like them) cleaned up and with a silencer.

The "Funky Bee" Img_0018

This is a very common variant here in Finland. The story is, an importer bought a big lot of Cox engines and sold them over the years to our relatively small market. I bought my first one new (with the red cam) I think in 1982 or 1983, but it could have been manufactured a few years earlier. I remember there was a Black Widow in a jewel case right next to it, but I only had money for the Babe Bee. Can’t remember if the BW was with the red cam or not.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:54 pm

Thanks Kari and George.

It could be original Kari, who knows what happened when Leisure Dynamics took over mixing parts to make up engines to sell.  But, it's the first engine that I have seen made up that way Golden Bee or otherwise.  I'm going to ask the seller about it.  Send him some pictures etc..

Yes, slit cylinder George, I have a couple of others like it, but most are the early types.  I still have the GB's that powered my P-38 back in the 70's.  

Tombstone WV.  The mount is courtsey of Jason many years ago.

The "Funky Bee" P1017878
The "Funky Bee" P1017879

Named it then changed my mind.

The "Funky Bee" P1017881
The "Funky Bee" P1017880

I taped the sellers pitch to the backside, noted above in italics in my first post.  

The "Funky Bee" P1017882

I just got the broken up Firebaby with an even better early model Golden Bee.  It has the front cover (hood) too.

The "Funky Bee" P1017883
The "Funky Bee" P1017884

Any speculation regarding the fuel pickup?

I have done dozens of these, well, over a hundred and I have never seen another like it.  Brown and brittle perhaps but not ate up like that one.  Seller rinsing the tank out with some solvent perhaps.........

Edit add:

Sent...........

Hello, I received your engine and left you positive feedback. I am a long time collector of Cox engines and was wondering about it's history? I would think that you probably aquired it though your business but thought you might have a personal association with it. I enjoyed your "Funky" description and kept it with the engine taped on the back of the mount.

Thanks - Bob in West Virginia

I heard from the seller :

I labeled it "funky" because I wasn't really sure what it was. I bought an estate with a bunch of kits. It also had a couple hundred engines in it too. I don't have a personal connection with it. I was having fun with the title because I was unsure. I thought a collector would know more about it and what it was
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:53 pm

OW OW he has more !! LOL
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:31 pm

Love that tombstone mount!!… Funky Bee still wants to run though Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:53 pm

rdw777 wrote:Love that tombstone mount!!… Funky Bee still wants to run though Very Happy

Wait for the resurrection.....................

It does sort of have a heavenly quality........

The "Funky Bee" P1017885

Edit:

The seller does have a sense of humor. I just looked at his ebay site and found this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276483677357?itmmeta=01J2HX6YS64KDS4MD1PRA5Z4NG&hash=item405fb61cad:g:v~AAAOSwfYFmVHv2
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:35 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Kari and George.
You're  Welcome
rsv1cox wrote:Yes, slit cylinder George, I have a couple of others like it, but most are the early types.  I still have the GB's that powered my P-38 back in the 70's.
I can see it is a slit cylinder, but was wondering perhaps it was the rarer slit with SPI. That is one that I don't have. But guess as a Golden Bee, a sport engine versus performance, may be non-SPI. If like my R/C Bee, has still two bypasses non-SPI, which was slightly higher in performance IMO over the single bypass SPI version in say, the earlier Babe Bees.
rsv1cox wrote:Tombstone WV.  The mount is courtsey of Jason many years ago.
The "Funky Bee" P1017879

[...] I just got the broken up Firebaby with an even better early model Golden Bee.  It has the front cover (hood) too.
The "Funky Bee" P1017883
I think I see the making of a potential Cox Engine of the Month Candidate winning photo. Very Happy Engine in-set with the profile C/L RTF in the background.  Popcorn
rsv1cox wrote: speculation regarding the fuel pickup? I have done dozens of these, well, over a hundred and I have never seen another like it.  Brown and brittle perhaps but not ate up like that one.  Seller rinsing the tank out with some solvent perhaps.........
Perhaps the previous owner used the older less durable surgical rubber tubing? That was flexible as anything, used on earlier R/C fuel tanks and some C/L fuel lines, but one had to replace it as it would quickly deteriorate, harden and crack with time. Got gummy too, under nitro fuel use.
rsv1cox wrote:I heard from the seller: I labeled it "funky" because I wasn't really sure what it was. I bought an estate with a bunch of kits. It also had a couple hundred engines in it too. I don't have a personal connection with it. I was having fun with the title because I was unsure. I thought a collector would know more about it and what it was
Quite a story to go with the engine. Enjoy! Very Happy Clean my glasses lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:43 pm

I think you have it George, and it never occured to me that the PO might have replaced the original fuel pickup with a different piece of tubing. (there was no wire spring )  I have done that myself in the past.  I will have to rethink that.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:10 pm

On Jason's tombstone engine display stand, with the oddness of the follow up story, for say, the Cox Engine of the Month, I guess you could do a variation from one of Taylor Swift's song videos and label it,

Here Lies Funky's Reputation. lol!

However, if you do anything, I think whatever comes about will be outstanding. Thumbs Up

Downloaded your video a little while back of you riding your recently repaired Mazda up the driveway into the garage. It sounded so classic, haven't heard that type of unique, rotary engine sound in a while. Cool
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:18 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:On Jason's tombstone engine display stand, with the oddness of the follow up story, for say, the Cox Engine of the Month, I guess you could do a variation from one of Taylor Swift's song videos and label it,

Here Lies Funky's Reputation. lol!

However, if you do anything, I think whatever comes about will be outstanding. Thumbs Up

Downloaded your video a little while back of you riding your recently repaired Mazda up the driveway into the garage. It sounded so classic, haven't heard that type of unique, rotary engine sound in a while. Cool

Thanks George, I was wondering if anyone looked at that video. I run it every now and then just to keep my spirits up. Over the engine sound you can hear Mark yelling "Slow down!" Smile

I have heard more from Funkys seller - Big Sky Hobbies. Like me he often thinks of the engines that he passes on.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:22 am

Now thats funny selling his black tape found on floor lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next