Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Removing QRC muffler - Page 2 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Fun Model .049 ... ready for release.
by MauricioB Today at 1:41 pm

» Black Hawk Models
by rsv1cox Today at 11:48 am

» 8cc tuning pipe
by germanbuddy Today at 8:59 am

» Cox powered ultimate biplan
by NEW222 Today at 8:46 am

» Giving it another shot
by smooth_bill Today at 4:13 am

» Rear Bear 2020
by Marleysky Today at 12:20 am

» Eliminator II Manuals
by miguelgaribay Yesterday at 9:58 pm

» Economic Grade Balsa?
by roddie Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» Cox Tee Dee .020
by fredvon4 Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» Looking for screw kit CS10 for 049 Cessna 182 SKYLANE
by eric@ericbacon.com Yesterday at 6:35 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2020
Jason_WI's

"Pieces and parts RR-1. New crank, rotary valve, and drive plate. Early #1 cylinder. Drilled out golden bee backplate. Battle hardened crankcase and tank."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
Gallery

Removing QRC muffler - Page 2 Empty

Removing QRC muffler

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Removing QRC muffler - Page 2 Empty Re: Removing QRC muffler

Post  GallopingGhostler on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:25 am

Welcome cggs. Here's an article from May 1967 Aeromodeller that explains the development of the QRC by its ancestor, the QZ.

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests  Cox 049 QZ

The rest of the engine articles including the Babe Bee are here:

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests Index
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Removing QRC muffler - Page 2 Empty Re: Removing QRC muffler

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:48 am

Not to put more confusion into the equation. Anytime you put a muffler on a engine, your restricting it which causes a loss of rpm's. When you had a Babe Bee vs a QZ for instance, the power output of both were somewhat equal. The engine themselves were different in which the QZ/QRC utilized a dual bypass cylinder vs the single ported bee. In addition, to gain more rpm's, the muffled bees used a high compression head. Therefore it took a lot of modification to just regain the power of a stock bee.

So the Bee and the muffled QRZ without mufflers side by side would or should  offer the QZ/QRC a distinctive advantage. I also believe and this might not be factual but the early QZ when first introduced used SPI and a shim was placed under the cylinder to reduce it whereas the later QRC cylinders were designed with no SPI. This suggests to me that the exhaust timing shim when removed offers SPI back to the cylinder enhancing performance even further.

I have several of these engines, I kept all the mufflers/shims with everything. The performance was so poor that I removed all of it just to make the engine useable for control line flying. Back then I didn't use a tach to understand the true rpm's, we took the planes out and flew them. When something like a muffler was robbing critical rpm's  it was removed.  I never have gone back to using the stock equipment but out of curiosity, something tells me to give it a go once again. I have very few engines that have satisfied my liking using a muffler for my type of flying, the end result is typical, loss of power, overheating.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum