Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.  Cox_ba12

Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.  Empty
Live on Patrol

Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.

Go down

Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.  Empty Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:22 pm

I've been waiting for this ever since the RR1 landed on my front porch over a month ago, compliments of our own CEF member, Mudhen. The plan was to complete its break-in by subjecting it to the stresses and screaming revs that only happen in the air. We both agreed that it was the only way to fully complete the break-in cycle of an engine, and I was proud he thought enough of me to choose me for the task. I was honored to be entrusted with such a jewel, an engine he had meticulously overhauled, finding the best fitting parts and learning it's Cox quirks and prefs.

We spoke from time to time, talking about how my bench running was going, familiarizing myself with the engine and so forth. Then Mud PMd me a week ago, on my birthday to be precise, and told me I could keep the engine if I wished. I was surprised, to say the least. I was worried he had made a decision too quickly and would soon suffer gifter's remorse. So I suggested we stick to the original plan and after I completed my assignment, if he still felt that way, I would gladly give it a good home and a steady job.

Okay, so the day has come, time to put the plan into action. I had planned to mount it on the Jumpin' Bean since it was such well behaved airframe, and with wheels so it didn't go grass surfing every time it landed. But the Bean has a good new working power plant and fuel system. So, I thought, what the hell, I'll put it on the Li'l Satan, it's my dang motor, I can do whatever I want to. Laughing

And that takes us to the Church yard, where I proved to myself yesterday that I can actually still fly a plane. As I mentioned in another thread, I was astounded to find out this thing cruises at nearly 20K on the bench. That ought to do justice to the Satan. It went very well. And very fast. This baby puts a hopped up Black Widow to shame... BIG time. I was conservative, no figure 8s or anything I hadn't yet practiced this season. I did lots of simple loops, and one set of triple loops. I kicked myself when I got home and realized I did not do any outside loops. I did so many insiders, I should have unwound my lines with some outsiders. Oh well, as I become more tuned up, I'll record some more daring tricks, but this is a good start and I came home happy. I used a MA 5.5x3, which I mistakenly called a 4p in the video. I forgot to pack the tach in my box, but it sounded like a solid 18-18.5k on my ear tach. Mud did a great job building it. It runs steady with no wavering at all. So I needled it about like I do a Black Widow, and hit the bulls eye. It powers through the climb into a loop with the same ease as when it rips around the circle on a flat lap. Even when it had only 30 seconds of fuel left it made a tight loop without stuttering... Whew! I've smacked more than a few after sucking air at the top of a loop I never should have tried. The entire tank ran for 1:30.

So, without any further jabbering on my part, here's the maiden flight of the RR1.
(As I always say, click full screen if you can)

Did I mention something about a steady job... no problem! It's permanently mated to the Li'l Satan, who is amazingly still pretty after all of it's flights. Black and blue and red, yeah!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.  Empty Re: Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.

Post  Mudhen Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.  Empty Re: Maiden flight of the RR1, with video.

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Mudhen wrote:That was sweet! Nicely done. Smoking
...With a little tweaking, you should be able to needle 21K easy.
As it is, probably not with the prop I was using. I'm betting it got up there in the air though. I don't want to tweak too much. I don't want to wear it out, it runs so good as it is.

Mudhen wrote:BTW - it may be my ears but it sounded like you had an airframe chatter with the Li'l Satan. I hope nothing's coming loose.
I didn't hear it in real life, but I hear what you're talking about in the video. I think it's just echo off the brick walls. That is by far the loudest engine I've ever heard. But I'll double check and make sure it's all tight.

EDIT: Dang, Mud now I hear it. I hadn't noticed it before, but now it's all I can hear. Maybe an engine screw is loose. Apparently it wasn't causing any foaming. I'll go over it really close and see what I find. There's not much on that plane it could be.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:28 am

That's what I'm talking about Rusty

Excellent Vid

Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 am

Good show Rusty! And a generous gift from Mud.

Mud, if you have another RR1 that needs a break in let me know! lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:25 am

Mud is a very good guy and trusting and if anyone's up to breaking in an engine on a CL plane it's Rusty!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:45 pm

That was AWESOME! Great job on the engine and flight! That thing sounds so sweet in the air. Gotta love it when an engine runs so well and staedily.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Just got a chance to watch the video! GREAT STUFF !!!! I just can't BELIEVE that you don't have a crowd of converts, wanting in on some of that !!!!!!!!

Man, I wish we could archive some of this !

looking forward to the next set of test flights !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Lookin' good there, Rusty!
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Great job guys, my hat is off to you both
Beer Cheers
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey thanks people, I'm glad y'all approve. I had great fun flying that little rocket.
Kim wrote:Just got a chance to watch the video! GREAT STUFF !!!! I just can't BELIEVE that you don't have a crowd of converts, wanting in on some of that !!!!!!!!

Man, I wish we could archive some of this !

looking forward to the next set of test flights !

At least it's archived on my YouTube channel. We could start a thread where we post our favorite video links, regardless of whether they are also posted in a thread like this. I love watching people fly, but I would rather have links to our members' videos instead of just Tube strangers. And I love showing off too, so I would certainly contribute.

I wish I could help convert a few too. CL is a lot different from RC. Lots of footwork, sometimes I'm all over the place and have to make sure I get back to my spot so I don't hit a tree or a brick wall. I've never flown RC. I think I could have been good enough at it, but I'm over the hill now. As long as CL is fun, I'm happy with that. And it's immensely more affordable.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:39 am

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to let You Tube manage the stuff rather than to keep adding branches to the forum. As long as we know where to go to see the videos, I guess it doesn't matter.

It's true that R/C can get top-heavy with expensive gadgetry, to the point of frustration or bankruptcy, but there are also some pretty inexpensive avenues also. I can pretty much guarantee you that anyone who can handle your little fire-breathers would not have a problem with a good-natured R/C plane !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Mudhen wrote:BTW - it may be my ears but it sounded like you had an airframe chatter with the Li'l Satan. I hope nothing's coming loose.
It did have a rattle, I found it this morning. It's just the control rod vibrating against the TE spar(is that called a spar?). I might stick a piece of tape there to quiet it, but it isn't damaging anything.
Good ear Mudhen.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down