Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 Cox_ba12

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 Empty Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Killing time till my Flightstreak gets here tomorrow.

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 LilComBat

This should be a wild little plane. Y'all pick what I should power it with. Here are your choices choices:
Black Widow
Killer Bee
Babe Bee with SPI
Bee with gray backplate and SPI
Balloon or 3/8oz wedgie?

I haven't decided what color. I have red, black and white paint and Lustrekote fuelproof gloss. I was thinking just the clearcoat. I'll fuelproof the engine mount with epoxy. There is a streak of dark grain where the wing halves join. It makes it look like I did a sloppy job, but I didn't.

Last edited by RknRusty on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 Empty Re: Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2

Post  mitchg95 Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:02 am

RknRusty wrote:Killing time till my Flightstreak gets here tomorrow.

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 LilComBat

This should be a wild little plane. Y'all pick what I should power it with. Here are your choices choices:
Black Widow
Killer Bee
Babe Bee with SPI
Bee with gray backplate and SPI
Balloon or 3/8oz wedgie?

I haven't decided what color. I have red, black and white paint and Lustrekote fuelproof gloss. I was thinking just the clearcoat. I'll fuelproof the engine mount with epoxy. There is a streak of dark grain where the wing halves join. It makes it look like I did a sloppy job, but I didn't.

killer bee with spi, 3/8 oz wedgie
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 Empty Re: Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2

Post  dankar04 Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 am

Years ago I bought a flat winged combat ship and used a very good TD .049. It flew very well to my surprise. Don't recall what it was but hauled pretty good. I painted it black and red. Looked pretty nice. Any engine you listed would work but How about Killer Bee?
Dan Biplane
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 am

Cool, very cool!
But that packet in the background..... Cold
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:00 am

nitroairplane wrote:Cool, very cool!
But that packet in the background..... Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 799288053
My planes all smoke Marlboros.
I'm thinking Killer Bee too. I might try something milder for the maiden, then hop it up. The paint might noy be dry enough to fly this weekend. I can try cooking it under my halogen lamp, but I don't want to warp it.
No telling what's going on at the church on Sunday. I better not fly over there during Easter service.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 am

I had that same issue with the grain in the wing. Mine stayed there even after I painted it. I would go with either the Killer Bee w/ SPI or a Black Widow.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:33 am

RknRusty wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:Cool, very cool!
But that packet in the background..... Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 799288053
My planes all smoke Marlboros.
I'm thinking Killer Bee too. I might try something milder for the maiden, then hop it up. The paint might noy be dry enough to fly this weekend. I can try cooking it under my halogen lamp, but I don't want to warp it.
No telling what's going on at the church on Sunday. I better not fly over there during Easter service.

Don't worry Indra! They are Marlboro lights.........

I vote for the Widow! Nice combat.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:51 am

low Hp motor and wedge tank,for the shakedown flight and in-flight balance check. Then once it is dialed in and you see how it flys, move up and adjust to your liking.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:52 am

I vote for the bladder tank.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
The thing holding me back from using a BW or any tanked engine is its length. Any plane is more aerobatic with a shorter nose. Shorter moment of inertia, that is. I'm going to go get some blue paint and use red, white and blue, and just blast it letting the colors overlap where they may. I still have to fuelproof the nose, and that's about it. I've almost got all the glue off my hands.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:06 am

I was considering getting my KB Back Plate and BW engine block to see what I can get. I still have to get a wedge tank though. They can be pricey!
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am

Godsey3.0 wrote:I was considering getting my KB Back Plate and BW engine block to see what I can get. I still have to get a wedge tank though. They can be pricey!

i have 3 wedge tanks
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 am

mitchg95 wrote:
Godsey3.0 wrote:I was considering getting my KB Back Plate and BW engine block to see what I can get. I still have to get a wedge tank though. They can be pricey!

i have 3 wedge tanks

Do you still have a TD?
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:19 am

microflitedude wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:

i have 3 wedge tanks

Do you still have a TD?

not any more Sad
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 pm

I finally got the courage to attempt a Figure 8 again today. The last couple of times I have tried it the control rod would bend causing it to just kinda laze upwards. I got a new rod with a z-bend in it. Went flying today. The engine Gods must've been smiling on me. The BW was really screaming. I went out did a couple loops to make sure the rod was good. Then I went ahead and tried it. And it worked! I was super happy. I only did one though. I did not want to get too cocky. I ended up shaking like a Chihuahua afterwards. Which normally happens when I get excited and a little cold. This little body does not hold heat well. I was super happy though!
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Hard to tell what it was. I was expecting the ones we have to fly more like platters. I'm glad if they don't, it doesn't seem like much of a challenge. You should take your camera out to fly, Godsey.

I epoxy fuel proofed the nose and primered my Bat tonight. I'll probably paint it next week.
My Baby Flite Streak came today. It's the widest wingspan I've ever had. Way more complex than the Bean too. It's going to take a long time to build.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 am

Something else I experimented wth today is starting a loop way up high. That made it so much easier. The Plane came back right where it started.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:05 am

Godsey3.0 wrote:Found a Vid of the Com-Bat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqYFxuVMhZI

DANG!, I wish those guys would take a page from "Rusty's school of C/L cinematography" and just plant that camera back a ways and just let it roll, instead of drunkenly trying to follow a zinging CL plane and reading the pilots mind.

I feel like I am drunk after watching that and I haven't had a sip,,

Tennis Match video,,
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:44 am

When I first started recording them I figured that out pretty quickly. One of my best performances was last July, back when the Stuntman23 was still named Green Death. My BIL had a new camera and totally couldn't follow me. My nieces destroyed the plane that day, but not without great fun. After painting it red and white I had to change the name. I call it the Stuntman23 now. It was so heavy with paint and glue and braces the BW flew like a lumbering PT-19, so I had to get a TD and learn to make bladders.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:16 am

Anyone have any good suggestion for a built up wing stunter? All of mine are flat. I know Rusty will say the Lil Jumpin Bean and Lil Satan. I imagine Indra would say Ringmaster. Problem with the first two is that Brodak does not have them in stock. Selecthobbies shows them though. Any other good options?
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Here's my new Com-Bat; Test flights-Take 2 Empty Flying

Post  dankar04 Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:27 am

Bladders are easy to make and work very good. You can use a Estes rocket tube or roll your own to hold them. They cost pennies to make and provide good engine run. Just get a hemostat to block fuel when not in use. one way check valve helps but not needed. Bladders are not the boogie man and quite easy to do.
Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 pm

I think my new Baby Flite Streak by Brodak is at the top of the heap. I haven't built it yet, just got it yesterday. It looks like a lot more work than the Bean.

I too am a bladder convert, both pressurized and pressureless balloons work great. Simple and easy to use, just a little different.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Amen to that! The only difficult part usually associated when employing a new fuel system is the learning curve. Once that is conquered the rest typically comes very easily and quickly. By the way, I would bet that your pressureless bladder would do an awful lot for throttled engines that do not run out a tank of fuel steadily. I am going to have to try that some time soon. Plus, with all the friendly help available on this forum the learning curve is not even as bad as it usually is.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I ran pressure bladders in the circle in the 70s for large combat and recently orderd all the bits from Texas Timers to make several pressure and non pressure bladders

Fit90 said "with all the friendly help available on this forum the learning curve is not even as bad as it usually is"

I have to agree and yet will lament the great days I was mentored by old guys at the field. Would have been great to have forums , internet and such so I would not have asked so many stupid questions. However I only ever ran across ONE grumpy old codger who yelled at me....all the rest were kind, patient, and prodded me along even when I was discouraged by lack of funds or skill

RknRusty you are going to like the Baby Flite Streak
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next