Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders Cox_ba12

Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders Empty
Live on Patrol

Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders

Go down

Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders Empty Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:00 pm

When shaping balsa parts to desired shapes it is very useful use a hand sander rather than your hand.

My hand sanders are available from Tower Hobbies in two lengths: lengths:
5 1/2" and 11" and are made by Great Planes. Other longer lengths are available too. The hand sanders are made from extruded aluminum shaped to fit the hand.

www.towerhobbies.com

Great Planes hand sanders use adhesive-backed sandpaper sold in varying grits on convenient rolls. I have used them in my modeling endeavors for many years and have come to rely on them to produce the quality models most of us try to achieve.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders Empty Re: Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:47 pm

It would be nice if they had some sanding blocks with various sized airfoil shapes. They can get you close to what you want, if not exactly. Freehand finishing after you get close is pretty easy.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders Empty Re: Another "newb" building tip": hand sanders

Post  jetpack Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Have you ever checked out the cushioned fingernail boards at Walgreens or the like? I have a bunch that I keep handy. They are large for being fingernail files and come in some very coarse grits to very fine. Excllent for smaller shaping or fitting.

The brand that I see the most and buy the most are "KISS" brand and they last a good long time and are worth the cash for me. Very easy to pull off a nice contour with one because the cushion.

http://www.walgreens.com/q/nail-files
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:50 am

RknRusty wrote:It would be nice if they had some sanding blocks with various sized airfoil shapes. .......

Great Planes does have a "Multi-sander" with three basic shapes, but I have not thought it would be of much use for me. If I need to shape a LE or other solid parts, I find a good razor plane to be extremely useful. Final shaping can be done by hand or with a sanding bar.

I have the Great Planes sanding bars in all lengths offered and find them indispensible. Since I use mostly thin CA, I like to cut fat and sand to fit. The short bar works great for this and the part's edges are true. The long bars are good for final shaping of LE's and truing up the airfoil of a laid up wing. I used to use balsa blocks with sandpaper pinned to the block, but the sanding bars are far and away much better and I wouldn't be without mine.

Being cheap, I don't use the self-adhesive strips, but cut strips from the standard 8.5 x 11 sanding sheets. You can use either a glue stick or rubber cement to attach the strips.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:39 am

I find long sanding bars very useful in shaping marine hulls like my Dumas 23 1/2" EP Chris-Craft speed boat. Buy NO means an "easy build" it is an expression of the artistry in model building. The application of the mahogany planking and finishing resin coating are not only time-cosuming but difficlt.

I have a multitude of sanding impliments that I've developed (or copied) over the years.

A simple medical tounge depresser makes a great sanding "file" with sandpaper attached with rubber cement. It gets into places that other impliments won't.

I consider fine modeling an art best devloped with extensive experience and patience.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 am

Speaking of sanding

http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=120&posts=8&start=1

I am going to build a varient that sits on my bench and connects to the dust collection system in my wood shop. Wood dust is the reason I ended up with about $20K in shop tools for about $5K. The guy who had them was ordered by his doctor to give up woodworking or die as his respetory system had been compromised from wood dust. I installed a 5HP dust cyclone designed by Bill Pentz ( google him - interesting reading) with 6" ducting.... It REALLY sucks ( and isn't as noisy as I had anticipated).
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 am

cz: Hmmmmm...... When I sand I just go out on our covered front porch and sit in a comfortable chair while I watch the world go by and chat with passing neigbors. So doing has gotten me some fine modeling stuff for free.

An idylic existance, no?

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 am

Mariposa county, where my new house is located, is 17,000 sq miles with a population of less then 20K. I am on 6.75 acres. The nearest house is a football field away. Not enough traffic walking by!
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 am

Cz10 wrote:Mariposa county

cz; Say "hello" to "Sheriff Joe"!

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:04 pm

I think that is Maricopa county in Airizona. This is near Yosemite National Park in California.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Used that GP sander on the last couple of models. works great for squaring edges or for block sanding pieces flat. I also have a handful of different abrasive emery boards for detail and hard to reach work..

For the rounded airfoil pieces, I use the soft abrasive sanding sponges found at at Home Depot and Harbor freight tools. They have a dollar sale going on now at HF tools, need to pick up another handful of mini clamps, quick and bar style.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down