Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Babe_b10
Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» So, I get this call from Mark while he is shopping a local flea market
by rsv1cox Today at 7:55 am

» The Cars are the Stars Contest.
by Cribbs74 Today at 1:09 am

» Bad Weekend For A Wizard.....
by Cribbs74 Today at 1:01 am

» The adventurous journey of LJ553716520US
by Davenz13 Yesterday at 9:22 pm

» Cox .074 Queen Bee nelson plug
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Ok, everybody gets a week off
by Marleysky Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Cox T-6 Texan bomb drop value?
by smooth_bill Yesterday at 5:09 pm

» Shrike X3 Experimental
by Davenz13 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Conquest .15
by aspeed Yesterday at 4:03 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Kim Yesterday at 1:48 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2019
Tee Bee's

"This RR1 was restored for all the right reasons"


PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty
World of Aviation

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  coxxoc on Thu May 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi friends,

I used a cox crankcase assembly tool for the first time. When I finished
turning it until drive-plate was fully seated into crank and tried to remove
the hub from the stud..guess what? It won`t come out!..It`s stuck!!
Has anybody had this happen to them and what`s the best way to remove hub?

Mr G Flying
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 115
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 58
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  microflitedude on Thu May 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Picture? Not quite sure what you mean.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Trusted Seller
I Support My Forum

Posts : 3417
Join date : 2011-08-17
Age : 21
Location : Columbia, SC

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  coxxoc on Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Here`s the tool. The left photo shows a bigger pic of hub in stud followed by prop. Can`t take hub out of stud?

Mr G Flying Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Crankc10
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 115
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 58
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  microflitedude on Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Does it move at all?

Put a thick silver wrench on there and twist it off.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Trusted Seller
I Support My Forum

Posts : 3417
Join date : 2011-08-17
Age : 21
Location : Columbia, SC

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu May 24, 2012 11:16 pm

coxxoc wrote:Hi friends,

I used a cox crankcase assembly tool for the first time. When I finished
turning it until drive-plate was fully seated into crank and tried to remove
the hub from the stud..guess what? It won`t come out!..It`s stuck!!
Has anybody had this happen to them and what`s the best way to remove hub?

Mr G Flying

You probably stripped a thread or two. It may be possible to apply pressure under the hub until it catches a thread. Worst case you take a hacksaw and cut the stud between the prop and hub. You will only be out a stud that way. There should be enough stud exposed afterwards to unscrew it from the crank.

You can then re-tap the hub and use a new stud. It should have came with a couple.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10312
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  coxxoc on Thu May 24, 2012 11:23 pm

I don`t want to ruin the thread of the small stud. I can`t put a wrench on it yet.
I was thinking of maybe putting to bolts on other end of stud locked together
and then using a wrench to turn the inside bolt. Maybe that will budge it, but I
would have to put the hub in a vice or something similar.

The stud is not in the prop shaft. The stud is stuck with the hub only.

Mr G Flying
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 115
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 58
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm

coxxoc wrote:I don`t want to ruin the thread of the small stud. I can`t put a wrench on it yet.
I was thinking of maybe putting to bolts on other end of stud locked together
and then using a wrench to turn the inside bolt. Maybe that will budge it, but I
would have to put the hub in a vice or something similar.

The stud is not in the prop shaft. The stud is stuck with the hub only.

Mr G Flying

Oh.....

Well, the only reason it is stuck is because the threads are knackered. There really is no other reason unless it's cross threaded and even then the threads are toast. I wouldn't put much effort in saving the stud. The hub however is salvageable. I would advise securing the stud in a vice and working the hub back and forth until it frees up.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10312
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  RknRusty on Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 am

coxxoc wrote:...I was thinking of maybe putting to bolts on other end of stud locked together
and then using a wrench to turn the inside bolt. Maybe that will budge it, but I
would have to put the hub in a vice or something similar.
Mr G Flying
That is the way a mechanic would do it.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10740
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 63
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri May 25, 2012 12:36 am

RknRusty wrote:
coxxoc wrote:...I was thinking of maybe putting to bolts on other end of stud locked together
and then using a wrench to turn the inside bolt. Maybe that will budge it, but I
would have to put the hub in a vice or something similar.
Mr G Flying
That is the way a mechanic would do it.

Maybe Rusty but, a mechanic wouldn't put the part he wants to keep in a vice. Two nuts on the stud is a good idea however, you would need to clamp down on the hub.

The threads are either bad on the stud or the hub or likely both. One of them is going to have to be sacrificed to save the other. I would opt to save the hub.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10312
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  RknRusty on Fri May 25, 2012 1:09 am

cribbs74 wrote:
RknRusty wrote:
coxxoc wrote:...I was thinking of maybe putting to bolts on other end of stud locked together
and then using a wrench to turn the inside bolt. Maybe that will budge it, but I
would have to put the hub in a vice or something similar.
Mr G Flying
That is the way a mechanic would do it.

Maybe Rusty but, a mechanic wouldn't put the part he wants to keep in a vice. Two nuts on the stud is a good idea however, you would need to clamp down on the hub....
Yeah he would, between a couple of oak blocks and tight as he can lean into it (helps to have a BF vice). Jam it with a Cox wrench or flat bar in case it still turns. Show that mother who's boss.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10740
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 63
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:27 am

RknRusty wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:
RknRusty wrote:
coxxoc wrote:...I was thinking of maybe putting to bolts on other end of stud locked together
and then using a wrench to turn the inside bolt. Maybe that will budge it, but I
would have to put the hub in a vice or something similar.
Mr G Flying
That is the way a mechanic would do it.

Maybe Rusty but, a mechanic wouldn't put the part he wants to keep in a vice. Two nuts on the stud is a good idea however, you would need to clamp down on the hub....
Yeah he would, between a couple of oak blocks and tight as he can lean into it (helps to have a BF vice). Jam it with a Cox wrench or flat bar in case it still turns. Show that mother who's boss.

lol!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10312
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  coxxoc on Fri May 25, 2012 3:12 am

Thanks Rusty I`ll do that!

Mr G Laughing
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 115
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 58
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  John Goddard on Fri May 25, 2012 7:40 am

You could always send it to me..........

I'd turn it into a beautiful 'hand crafted' paper weight.

Airplane
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller
Posts : 2447
Join date : 2011-11-24
Age : 54
Location : Leyton North East London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  gcb on Fri May 25, 2012 10:56 am

Redneck method:
I'd use a vice grip to remove the stud from the hub, then discard the stud. It has had so many stresses put on it that it may not be safe anyway. Why take the chance.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 908
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Port Ewen, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  Cox International on Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 am

Lot of posting for a small part lol!

Just email nichole@coxengines.ca

and she will send you a few hubs and studs today as, obviously, either the threads on the stud or the hub are defective.
Cox International
Cox International
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 2730
Join date : 2011-08-09
Age : 61
Location : Williams Lake, BC, Canada

View user profile http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  microflitedude on Fri May 25, 2012 11:16 am

Perhaps is was torqued down too much, and damaged the threads.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Trusted Seller
I Support My Forum

Posts : 3417
Join date : 2011-08-17
Age : 21
Location : Columbia, SC

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  RknRusty on Fri May 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Cox International wrote:Lot of posting for a small part lol!

Just email nichole@coxengines.ca

and she will send you a few hubs and studs today as, obviously, either the threads on the stud or the hub are defective.
The Man to the rescue!

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10740
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 63
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  Kim on Fri May 25, 2012 1:49 pm

I THOUGHT I heard trumpets !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

Posts : 6499
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  fit90 on Fri May 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Shortly after I heard the trumpets I saw a tall man in a bright red Mounty unifrom riding a horse with the needed parts in his hands! That's service!!!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1290
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Naples, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  microflitedude on Fri May 25, 2012 10:42 pm

fit90 wrote:Shortly after I heard the trumpets I saw a tall man in a bright red Mounty unifrom riding a horse with the needed parts in his hands! That's service!!!

And he looked like this...

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Canadian-mountie-zoom
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Trusted Seller
I Support My Forum

Posts : 3417
Join date : 2011-08-17
Age : 21
Location : Columbia, SC

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  coxxoc on Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 pm


good old Mountys!!

Mr G
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 115
Join date : 2012-05-03
Age : 58
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crankcase assembly tool stuck!! Empty Re: Crankcase assembly tool stuck!!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum